Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: 'Stros management: We're pieces of shit
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2705273&mesg_id=2712200
2712200, RE: 'Stros management: We're pieces of shit
Posted by allStah, Fri Feb-14-20 05:37 PM
The more I think about this. The more I feel this is much ado about nothing.

Those of us in our late 30s and 40s grew up with baseball being our first love. We collected baseball cards, played little league, like every other kid. This was before basketball’s popularity influenced young black kids to move away from baseball. Before that, it was all about baseball in every community. From softball to strikeout, you had to have either a bat, glove or ball.

With that being said, baseball has always romanced with cheating since it’s birth. From taking bribes, to corked bats, to greasing the ball, to using pine tar , to filing the ball, to stealing signs. And every team has done it.

Stealing signs have always been a method in baseball, and the Astros just used a better way to do it, as well as other teams. That’s what technology does. It improves the functionality or process of a particular method or device. So of course the method in how signs are stolen are going to evolve, and everything in baseball is copied to get an advantage or be on an even playing field.

Tom House, a pitcher from the 70s stated that he was using steroids frequently in the 70s and about 6 pitchers on every staff was using steroids. So you basically had a even playing field. I look at this in the same way, where teams have video tech set up to steal signs, so the Astros sure aren’t the only ones doing it.

Stealing is stealing, so you can’t say hey it’s one thing to steal signs the old fashion way but another to use video technology. The Astros found a better way to steal signs and did it better than everyone else.