Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectonce again, I'm *not excusing this whatsoever.*
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2704158&mesg_id=2704435
2704435, once again, I'm *not excusing this whatsoever.*
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Oct-10-19 01:18 PM
>Taking the position that "players are too invested in China
>to speak out" and basically excusing that position because
>well, that's just the way it is -- is not exactly an
>acceptable reaction to this, is it?

I just reeeeeeeeeeally don't think they'll speak out against China. This is me talking from a point of pessimism, not from a point of thinking they're doing the right thing.

It's just much, much easier for them to speak out about social issues that don't really hurt their pocketbooks. At the end of the day, rich people are going to rich people. I just don't think any of these mega-rich people will do the right thing until doing the wrong thing hurts their pocketbooks-- and I don't think enough Americans care about China to hurt their pocketbooks.

I think they should absolutely cut ties with China. I just feel very confident they won't, that we'll see media censorship in America about criticism of China first. Which we're already seeing. It's fucked up, and it's our reality. We should try to fight it, but I'm insanely skeptical that enough viewers give a shit.

They'd rather have the new pair of Brons. They'd rather use their phone made by a corporation friendly with China. They'd rather drive a car made by a corporation friendly with China. So much of what people use and consume come from giant businesses that love China. I struggle to find a way in which basketball lovers will go down that rabbit hole.

As I said above, it's a shitty shitty situation that I don't think there's much America can or will do about the China problem.