Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectYou seem to be normalizing this though.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2704158&mesg_id=2704378
2704378, You seem to be normalizing this though.
Posted by Vex_id, Wed Oct-09-19 08:51 PM
Taking the position that "players are too invested in China to speak out" and basically excusing that position because well, that's just the way it is -- is not exactly an acceptable reaction to this, is it?

Also - I don't necessarily buy that LeBron and other stars aren't speaking out against China solely off commercial interests -- LeBron speaking out against police brutality did have the potential to alienate millions of customers who would otherwise buy jerseys/shoes/tickets and thus impact profitability. I don't think most Americans really understand what's actually happening in China: ethnic cleansing; concentration camps; A.I./tech abuse and mass censorship, surveillance/control of its citizenry. Naturally, it's more difficult to get a grasp on what's happening on the ground somewhere halfway across the globe.

Further, the NBA and its stars are enjoying more affluence and top-end wealth than ever. It's an opulent league and most at the top of it aren't exactly making lifestyle decisions based on frugality - so they are very much in a position to do what comes along with great wealth: whatever TF they want at any given time.

-->