Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDelonte West appears to be homeless
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2702211
2702211, Delonte West appears to be homeless
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Mon Aug-26-19 04:38 PM
https://i.imgur.com/m3Mhha5.jpg

Sad

2702213, In LA...that's waiting for the bus
Posted by bentagain, Mon Aug-26-19 04:48 PM
Serious though, why did you jump right to homeless...just based off of this picture?

Unless he's like a week or 2 into living outdoors...that ain't it.
2702215, Well, he's been diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Aug-26-19 05:06 PM
And he's been rumored to have been panhandling before, IIRC. Or maybe those were disproven. I don't remember.

Still, most big cities in America simply don't take care of those struggling with financial and mental issues. West has documented mental issues, and many former players have financial issues. So even if he's not homeless, it sadly wouldn't be a surprise.
2702216, NBA provides health coverage for retired players
Posted by bentagain, Mon Aug-26-19 05:57 PM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicolefisher/2016/07/28/1482/#5b44d82e7e77

Can't speak to the insurance plan, but my health insurance provides for mental health.
2702218, i heard conflicting things
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon Aug-26-19 07:28 PM
pics have been making their way around, some of which are definitely kinda old, others which may not be. one cat said he heard he has gotten some help. another dude who lives around delonte's way said people see him in the street all the time and he looks kinda rough. someone should track him down and do some real journalism on this. also clear up for once/for all if he smashed lebron's mom or not and buy dude a r-r-r-rrr-r-r-r-raz-berry iced teeeeeeeeeeeeea
2702225, crazy, dudes only 36, he had the type of game where he still help a team...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-27-19 08:29 AM
off the bench. Mental health combined with drugs is no joke.
2702228, unbelievable
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Aug-27-19 09:22 AM
he's from the area that i grew up in, to see what has happened to him is very sad.
i knew he had mental health/societal issues and it's too difficult for some people to
cope.
2702246, yeah. he is one of my favorite players from way back too.
Posted by Dr Claw, Tue Aug-27-19 07:12 PM
I thought it was just some lookalike when I saw the picture.
2702254, i don't think he's necessarily homeless
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Wed Aug-28-19 12:31 PM
but feels like he doesn't have a home. there are alot of young black homeless guys
in the dc area because they don't feel like they have a home.
2702255, explain?
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Aug-28-19 12:45 PM
>but feels like he doesn't have a home. there are alot of
>young black homeless guys
> in the dc area because they don't feel like they have a
>home.
2702258, he's still black
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Wed Aug-28-19 01:26 PM
and growing up in that environment, eventhough he's made money. it's not really
his...you know, his country. i know the crew he hung with, young black guys that
had access to money/parents had money, knew they were going to be richer than
they were....nice clothes, nice cars, grew up in the better parts of pg county. lots
of dysfunction (just like anywhere) in and around those houses.
2702260, Huh?
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Aug-28-19 02:18 PM
I get dysfunction in families but not sure what that has to do with his situation given the money he has made.

I don’t know dude personally but it seems like he suffers from mental health issues.

I know some folks also love where they grew up and are loyal to a fault. I never judge folks who leave and don’t come back because they know the hood will take them under.
2702263, yeah, mental health/societal issues
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Wed Aug-28-19 02:47 PM
>
2702275, so are you saying Delonte West has a house somewhere that he paid for...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Aug-29-19 09:06 AM
or is paying for with his NBA money but he just chooses to live on the streets with his friends?

I'm not trying to be an asshole but I'm just really trying to understand where you're coming from with this.

I know of kids with well off parents that get caught up with drugs or whatever and live on streets at times but I thought his situation was different but I may be wrong.
2702264, between this and learning Jenni Lee is now homeless ... :(
Posted by Amritsar, Wed Aug-28-19 04:05 PM
2702276, Maybe they can hook up
Posted by Vector, Thu Aug-29-19 09:26 AM
2702277, I just found out who she was, I'm sure if she's disease-free some rich...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Aug-29-19 10:15 AM
dirty old man would gladly take her in.
2710991, fuck, man :(
Posted by Mynoriti, Mon Jan-20-20 10:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGM8FZilbEE
2710993, surprisingly came out a lot better than i expected.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Jan-20-20 11:29 PM
when dude started stomping his head...i thought it was flatline for him.
2710992, My heart goes out to this guy
Posted by allStah, Mon Jan-20-20 11:10 PM
I don't know his life story, and I have never walked in his shoes. I wouldn't wish this on any human being.

To see him get stomped like that over and over again is just beyond humane. In his weak state, I can't imagine that he harmed or assaulted the guy. That's the thing when you are in a weak state or homeless, there are people who will just attack you for no reason, just because they can. And that is how it appeared to me.

Clearly, he is suffering from some kind of health/mental condition, and should not be by himself or out on the streets. He is in no condition to care for himself.
2710997, He is severely bi-polar from what i understand
Posted by josephmurf2384, Tue Jan-21-20 03:34 AM
Stories about him seem to pop up every once in a while and they are never good. Not sure where he is during the months that seem to go by where there are no stories. i have not brought myself to watch the video, but i can only imagine how bad it is.
2710998, We have no idea how this fight started
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jan-21-20 09:23 AM
but there was no reason for dude to stomp his head like that.. clearly he was out cold or down for the count.

More than likely West was talking crazy based off the arrest.

Hope he gets help.
2721730, Mark Cuban reaches out to help former NBA player Delonte West(link)
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Sep-29-20 12:08 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29997795/dallas-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-reaches-help-former-nba-player-delonte-west
2721802, That's good news, and a Cuban thing to do.
Posted by Buck, Wed Sep-30-20 12:17 PM
But it does make me wish that we as a society didn't have to rely on billionaire good Samaritans to get people the help they need.
2721803, RE: That's good news, and a Cuban thing to do.
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Sep-30-20 12:19 PM
>But it does make me wish that we as a society didn't have to
>rely on billionaire good Samaritans to get people the help
>they need.

Supposedly Delonte's family has been trying to reach to him for a while.