Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectAndrew Luck retires.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2702098
2702098, Andrew Luck retires.
Posted by will_5198, Sat Aug-24-19 08:37 PM
that's it. that's the post.
2702100, Sorry, fam.
Posted by dillinjah, Sat Aug-24-19 08:45 PM
2702103, unique guy. he said he almost retired in 2017
Posted by will_5198, Sat Aug-24-19 08:48 PM
so this current foot-injury or whatever he's going through may have a private diagnosis that isn't so great. wonder if he takes off a year or two and gets the urge again.
2702104, this is definitely plausible:
Posted by dillinjah, Sat Aug-24-19 08:57 PM
wonder if he
>takes off a year or two and gets the urge again.
2702141, He said it’s three different things
Posted by LA2Philly, Sat Aug-24-19 10:59 PM
A calf strain, high ankle sprain, and posterior impingement. The latter is the worst because you have tissue that’s caught between the calcaneus (heel) and the talus (dome of the ankle) whenever you push off the foot.
2702102, Wow
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat Aug-24-19 08:46 PM
2702106, That’s a wrap on the Colts 2019 season
Posted by calij81, Sat Aug-24-19 09:00 PM
2702108, I actually like Brissett. interesting to see what he does
Posted by will_5198, Sat Aug-24-19 09:02 PM
with a much better supporting offense, defense and real coaches.
2702114, I like Brissett as well but the AFC south is a lot more competitive
Posted by calij81, Sat Aug-24-19 09:12 PM
I don’t think the wheels will fall off the Colts like they did a few years ago simply because the Colts have upgraded their roster, GM and coaching staff.
2702110, bittersweet to feel kinda happy for these guys when they retire young.
Posted by smutsboy, Sat Aug-24-19 09:05 PM
2702120, RE: Andrew Luck retires.
Posted by Quas, Sat Aug-24-19 09:30 PM
My condolences to the Colts fans. But I hope he will enjoy retirement and heal.
2702133, Colts fans booed him as he left the field tonight
Posted by will_5198, Sat Aug-24-19 09:56 PM
so...they can go back to hosting Mike Pence Sundays
2702136, just saw that. were they expecting him to buy a new foot?
Posted by Reeq, Sat Aug-24-19 10:15 PM
2702188, They were expecting him to play this year
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Aug-26-19 11:55 AM
2702137, heres his press conference
Posted by Reeq, Sat Aug-24-19 10:20 PM
https://twitter.com/Colts/status/1165449387323080704

im assuming they just threw this together after his retirement leaked.

he addresses the boos too. i dont see how anybody can hate on this man.
2702138, RE: Andrew Luck retires.
Posted by jimaveli, Sat Aug-24-19 10:26 PM
>that's it. that's the post.

Maaaaaaaaaaaan, I have feelings.

I hate seeing wide receivers get killed every time there’s an issue of any kind with a team and/or their health while qbs tend to get the benefit of the doubt...especially the alleged great and grand ones.

Luck has been mysteriously not healthy for years now. And maybe it’s not football injuries? Maybe? And now, we have a dude retiring 2 weeks before the season starts? Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

I get it. Perspective will eventually lead me to the ‘hey, if he doesn’t have it physically, he deserves to take it to the house’. But right now, it seems like he hosed the hell out the Colts players. Maybe they’ve been knowing for a while and it’s not as crazy as it looks to me right now.

Thank everything that this isn’t Cam. Could you imagine the reactions?
2702139, It’s absolutely football injuries. What else could it be
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat Aug-24-19 10:52 PM
2702168, Maybe I'm missing some context but 'hosed' in this case
Posted by snacks, Sun Aug-25-19 05:28 PM
... woulda been to stay on the roster and heal on their dime till they released him IMO

>I get it. Perspective will eventually lead me to the ‘hey,
>if he doesn’t have it physically, he deserves to take it to
>the house’. But right now, it seems like he hosed the hell
>out the Colts players. Maybe they’ve been knowing for a
>while and it’s not as crazy as it looks to me right now.

2702182, I read that the team and Luck worked out the financial parameters...
Posted by Creole, Mon Aug-26-19 10:05 AM
last week. So, the team probably already knew but were hoping he'd have a change of heart.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27460243/sources-colts-recoup-money-luck

Sources: Colts won't recoup money from Luck

Despite the fact that they could have recouped $24.8 million from their former quarterback, the Indianapolis Colts have reached a financial settlement with Andrew Luck and will not take back any of the money they are owed, league sources told ESPN.

The Colts essentially are telling Luck to keep it all, even though it is within their rights to reclaim the money.

The settlement was reached late last week, according to a source familiar with the talks.
2702189, Right?
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Aug-26-19 11:59 AM
It’s easy to call the fans out when you aren’t a fan of football or the Colts..

This shit wild...

2702140, I hope this happens more.
Posted by Ryan M, Sat Aug-24-19 10:52 PM
Football players should value their health above all else. ESPECIALLY when they’ve made so much money. Good for him.
2702144, The public rarely sees the mental toll & burden of injuries
Posted by LA2Philly, Sat Aug-24-19 11:01 PM
This dude played through a shit ton of serious ones, almost retired after the rotator cuff surgery, and now the three-headed lower leg injuries were the final straw. It’s so difficult to keep grinding and dealing with setbacks...so much respect for Luck and wish him the best.
2702149, I didn't see that coming. :(
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Sun Aug-25-19 01:48 AM
2702150, so Colts fans boo’ed him for retiring?
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun Aug-25-19 07:47 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/andrew-luck-retires-appears-to-be-savagely-booed-by-colts-fans-in-indy-after-stunning-news-breaks-during-game/
2702154, Yeah those dummies did that.
Posted by hip bopper, Sun Aug-25-19 12:46 PM

2702161, People shitting on him for this are the WORST
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Aug-25-19 05:07 PM
A bunch of dumb fucks half of whom couldn't get up a flight of stairs without oxygen and the rest of whom are stuck in shit jobs for shit pay but want everyone else to be miserable, too.

It's his life, it's his body and let's face it if he keeps getting hurt like he has he ain't doing the Colts any favors by sticking around to collect a check and chew up cap space. Let the man live.

Luck is a smart guy with interests outside of football. It's disappointing that he wasn't able to maximize his talent as a player but with the way things were going that would be true whether he retired now or he retired in 10 years as a basket case.

I don't get Joe Sportsfan type assholes want. If a guy puts it all on his shoulders, he's selfish. If he plays selfless, he's not the alpha dog. If a guy loses his passion for the game and/or his physical prowess but stays on, he's a bum who steals a check and should retire. But if he decides to walk away when one or both those things goes, he's a quitter. Some people are just fucking pathetic and use sports as a way to judge other people and feel superior to them, the same way that many viewers use reality shows, soap operas and shit like that.
2702167, unfortunately very typical of sports fandom
Posted by will_5198, Sun Aug-25-19 05:25 PM
>people are just fucking pathetic and use sports as a way to
>judge other people and feel superior to them, the same way
>that many viewers use reality shows, soap operas and shit like
>that.

exacerbated by the instant "hot take" culture that sports media has become. people complaining his should've given a year's notice -- well, he kind of did. Colts know where they stand and can move on from here.

the alternative was to go on IR and spend another year deciding? which he could've easily done, and collected a nice check for it.

professional football is an "all-in" mentality and the realization you don't have that (for maybe the first time in your life") can sneak up on you in a single day.

but back to the highlighted point, yeah. lots of sports fans don't have shit else going on in their lives and assume their consumerism of sports equals ownership of its participants, in every facet.
2702208, An astonishing amount of shitty sports pundits are this way too.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Aug-26-19 03:51 PM
>lots of sports fans
>don't have shit else going on in their lives and assume their
>consumerism of sports equals ownership of its participants, in
>every facet.

Which is wild, considering that many of those guys played sports at *some* point, even if they weren't very good.

Like, if some idiot blogger who never stepped on the field is out of touch on this, that's one thing. And I realize expecting guys like Gottlieb and Dakich not to be trash is expecting too much. Yet still, it somehow never fails to surprise me when a former athlete concocts a bad take on shit like this.
2702185, If you're aware of all the health problems former players have
Posted by pretentious username, Mon Aug-26-19 11:42 AM
How in the FUCK can you you criticize someone for retiring early? I'll never forget the piece ESPN ran on Earl Campbell years ago. He could barely get around. If you're already set financially there is absolutely no reason to watch shit like that go down later in life.
2702209, RE: People shitting on him for this are the WORST
Posted by bentagain, Mon Aug-26-19 03:58 PM
https://youtu.be/mKj3Zwcy7ME
2702187, Fans cheer and boo. Stop acting like they threw batteries at him
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Aug-26-19 11:53 AM
If this was Cam half the people in here would be shitting on his decision.

How about not showing up to the gotdamn game on the sideline when you plan on retiring the next day? He did this to himself.

I have no issue with dude retiring but FOH at acting like fans need to applaud his decision. Nigga had all offseason and from what I heard the owner lied and told fans he would be playing this season when he prolly knew he was thinking about retiring. I would be furious if I bought season tickets..lol.

Plus he gets to keep 24 mill for doing nothing this year.

Luck will be okay.

2702191, RE: Fans cheer and boo. Stop acting like they threw batteries at him
Posted by go mack, Mon Aug-26-19 12:15 PM
Yeah, that didn't bother me much since they just found out on their phones during the game and was a first reaction, same as booing an injured player right away like when KD went down. Its not cool but I get it and Im sure most regret it after they think about it rationally.

Doug Gotlieb is a dumbass tho, glad he is getting a lot of heat from his dumb tweet. lol
2702199, Had no idea he stole credit cards in college.. lmao
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Aug-26-19 01:34 PM
They are going to bring him back for a half time all Colts ceremony.

Dude will be fine.

I just don’t get why you are on the sideline after you already told the FO. Did he tell the players yet?

Someone in management was extremely pissed and leaked that info.
2702194, not even mad.
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Aug-26-19 12:26 PM
the human cost of football is real, and getting realer everyday.

this could send even more shocks to the NFL machine than Kaepernick, and unfortunately for the NFL, this can't be assuaged by kicking someone out of the league to cool a few singed butts.
2702201, Didn’t a linebacker for the 49ers retire after 2 seasons?
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Aug-26-19 01:37 PM
I don’t think this is going to anything to owners. Every year a new class comes into the NFL looking for jobs.

At most, it may cause FO’s to add another clause to huge contracts.

Nah.. I take that back. Letting Luck walk away with 24 million THIS year without playing a down shows you how the FO operates.

If this was Cam they prolly cut a foot off or take his first born.
2702202, Went to the doc last week for some back and leg pain.
Posted by Buck, Mon Aug-26-19 01:57 PM
First thing he asked me was, "did you play organized football?"
2702205, Can you blame him?
Posted by The Real, Mon Aug-26-19 02:34 PM
The organization doctors botched his arm surgery. Then, they cannot figure out what the issue is with his leg.

I could see him coming back in two years (with another organization) once his body heals.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2702210, Couple of years, he'll be back - Randall Cunningham
Posted by bentagain, Mon Aug-26-19 04:01 PM
After years of the Iggles using Randall as a kamikaze...and nearly destroying his health

He took off a couple of years

and came back at an elite level

I think Luck will figure out his health issues, but needs to be away from the NFL to do that

He'll be back.

+1, more evidence that TB12 is doping.
2702212, When I think of Brady, I think of him sitting in the pocket
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Mon Aug-26-19 04:46 PM
For days

2702235, Brady ain’t t afraid to take a shot
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Aug-27-19 01:24 PM
I hate him but I respect him.
2702252, yeah he takes some licks. also
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Aug-28-19 08:29 AM
DLineman have said hitting him feels different than anyone else. like hitting a pillow.
2702214, Tom Brady has always been really good at taking hits
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Aug-26-19 05:00 PM
and falling down the right way without getting hurt

I appreciate this because it's the thing Matt Stafford (at least as of a few years ago) had none of. he'd *always* fall on his throwing shoulder

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
2702233, Something I never considered - are the Colts CYA?
Posted by The Real, Tue Aug-27-19 12:11 PM
LeBatard mentioned this on his show and I didn't think about this. He said, "Why are/were the Colts so willing to pay out his entire salary when they weren't obligated to?" He threw it out there that management potentially did this to avoid any medical malpractice claims.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2702236, Good point.
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Aug-27-19 01:25 PM
2702250, sounds highly likely.
Posted by Reeq, Wed Aug-28-19 02:38 AM
these owners dont give away money outta the kindness of their heart.

2702261, I think they retain his rights if he comes back to the NFL
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Aug-28-19 02:20 PM
if they didn’t pay I believe he could come back to another team.

2702251, prob because the Lions didnt w/ Calvin and now he wants nothing
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Aug-28-19 08:28 AM
to do with them. and he said he won't until they make it right. bad look to have one of your all time greats totally disassociate from your organization.