Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectLeague average 3-point percentage was 36.2% that season.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2701591&mesg_id=2702183
2702183, League average 3-point percentage was 36.2% that season.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Aug-26-19 10:39 AM
So Melo's 3-point shooting that season was a little below the NBA average. That's just a fact. When Beal and Durant shot those numbers last season, they also shot a little below the NBA average.

(Of course, the year Melo was in OKC, Durant shot 41.9% from 3 on over 6 attempts per game and Beal shot 37.5% from 3 on over 6 attempts per game, both of which were *over* the NBA average. And Durant and Beal are both 38+% 3-point shooters for their careers and last year's numbers were aberrations for them. But sure, we can cherry pick some of the worst shooting numbers ever for these two very good shooters for this argument, because why not.)

And, as I said, those numbers would be okay... if he played defense or had playmaking that season. And he did neither. That's the whole point. Shooting a lot of threes and hitting them at a little below the NBA average rate is okay, if you're also bringing other things to the table. If you're a detriment in both those categories, though, then you really need to be an above-average 3-point shooter. Melo wasn't that.

So. Yeah. Not sure what shit I made up in that post. The numbers are what they are. I'm not trying to be a hater. Melo is a stone-cold first-ballot HOF lock, and in his prime, he was one of the best in the world at what he did. I just feel his style of game at his current age is not really conducive to being a role player in the year 2019. I feel the same about Dwight Howard, one of my favorite players in the league when he was in Orlando, another first-ballot lock-- I don't think anyone should really expect much of him in today's game at his current age anymore. As players age and the style of the game shifts, certain players are left behind. It's nothing against them, it's just the brutal truth of players aging and styles changing.