Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI'm renouncing all rights, title and benefits as a Melo Hater.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2701591
2701591, I'm renouncing all rights, title and benefits as a Melo Hater.
Posted by Basaglia, Thu Aug-08-19 08:30 AM

he just hit rock bottom. he asked to join the USA team and they said "we good"...smh.

i can't work under those conditions. how i'm supposed to make people mad when shit like this is happening FOR REAL. i wouldn't have even thought that joint up, because OF COURSE they'd take melo. so the joke wouldn't even be plausible.

but, here we are. i'm done with this.

damn.
2701594, It’s cool, good luck to the B squad.
Posted by Beezo, Thu Aug-08-19 09:32 AM
2701596, My guy must've really pissed somebody off. Had to have been smashing...
Posted by Creole, Thu Aug-08-19 10:01 AM
wives or something.

DAYUM!
2701597, damb © Roscoe.
Posted by CyrenYoung, Thu Aug-08-19 10:47 AM

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2701601, Why are they treating Melo like this?
Posted by Kira, Thu Aug-08-19 11:25 AM
Melo is at worst a sixth man for the Cavs right today. Melo is still good but the media's narrative over the years finally caught up to him.

On some Petty shit this is karma for Jeremy Lin. If Melo took a step back and let Jeremy cook years ago encouraging the Knicks to keep him Melo wouldn't be in this situation now. The narrative of Melo not willing to accept a lesser role and help develop younger teammates wouldn't exist.

Y'all gotta stop being so hard on Melo.
2701602, Jeremy Lin played for like 10 teams
Posted by DJR, Thu Aug-08-19 11:39 AM
Who held him back on the other 9 teams?

2701605, Lol whatt is melo gonna do in todays nba?
Posted by Cenario, Thu Aug-08-19 12:16 PM
Hes not good enough anymore to dominate an offense so whats the point. He needed to transform into a 3 and something guy and he never did.
2701608, exactly. he hasnt shown that he does anything else well
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Aug-08-19 02:03 PM
2701628, Do his best Vince Carter impression
Posted by Kira, Fri Aug-09-19 08:40 AM
By coming off the bench and getting buckets but most importantly be a veteran that helps younger players develop. He can easily stick around if he's willing to work harder on defense and do those things but someone needs to take a chance on him.
2701643, Please don't make me compliment Vince Carter.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Aug-09-19 01:32 PM
Vince shot better from 3 last year than Melo has done in all but one of the seasons in his entire career.

His career assist rate is better, his career turnover rate is lower. His career BPM is better, both on offense and defense. His Value Over Replacement Player, while not very good, is still better than Melo's, which is negative over his last 150 games.

Again, there's a reason beyond the "narrative" excuse that Melo isn't on a team right now. You think a team like the Magic or the Hornets couldn't use a min-salary veteran to guide the young guys? You think Bron, if he wanted, couldn't pick up the phone and get Melo on the end of the Laker bench before end of business today?

Bottom line is there are players that are better for a team construct than Melo out there, players who provide obvious bench value, like shooting or defense or rebounding or energy. Guys whose main skill is high-volume scoring don't make it past their mid-30s in the NBA very often. Once Melo's scoring efficiency started to dip, that was that.

There's no shame in that-- he was one of the best in the game at what he did during his era, and he'll be in the HOF. But I have yet to hear why Melo should be on a team other than "he was good three seasons ago." Many stars fade quickly in the NBA, Melo is one of them. And that's okay.
2701609, Over the last two years, Melo dropped very hard.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Aug-08-19 02:12 PM
In that span, he has easily the worst BPM and VORP of any player over 30. He doesn’t defend, and he doesn’t pass. If you’re hooping like crazy on offense, then that’s still of great value— but he’s not.

In order to stick in the league as a vet, he’d have to either make open 3s at a high rate, move the ball well, or play halfway decent defense. Which of those things can Melo do?

He’s had a terrific career. But some dudes just fall off hard when they fall. Melo is one of them. No shame in that. But it’s not a conspiracy or a narrative. The stats and analytics show that he’s not of value anymore.
2701626, take this bullshit to r/nba
Posted by Amritsar, Fri Aug-09-19 08:28 AM
2701637, Never heard of it and I'm happy right here
Posted by Kira, Fri Aug-09-19 11:10 AM

Thank you for the hearfelt concern about my well-being!
2701673, that says how bad the cavs are and even for bad teams they want ...
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Aug-10-19 08:40 PM
someone with a future and some upside. what benefit is there for them to get a super old guy and give him minutes?

he's done, let's just accept it. he had a nice ride.
2701720, He’s worse than that actually... lol
Posted by hip bopper, Tue Aug-13-19 05:28 AM
>Melo is at worst a sixth man for the Cavs right today.

That Cavs squad is stacked right now!!!!!!!! Maybe he should go to China.

2701607, There’s been rumblings for weeks that the Warriors might sign him
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Aug-08-19 01:54 PM
It’s not a bad idea,’as they’ve been making scoring a priority. As long as he isn’t a ball stopper, he’d probably fit it. Shoot, with out shortage of wings, he might even have a shot at starting.
2701613, Fam. It’s CARMELO.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Aug-08-19 02:24 PM
>As long as he isn’t a ball stopper, he’d
>probably fit it.

Melo had Bismack Biyombo’s assist rate two years ago and Dwight Howard’s assist rate during his short stint for the Rockets. He’s averaged 1.3 APG over the past six seasons.
2701615, There’s no way that last stat is true
Posted by DJR, Thu Aug-08-19 02:55 PM
Did you mean over the last two seasons?

He played 10 games last season: most of them with Harden hurt, Paul suspended, or both.

His role in OKC wasn’t really conducive to getting assists.

He averaged 3-4 APG every season in his last 4 seasons in NY.
2701617, You're right, lol. The point still stands, but I did fuck that up.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Aug-08-19 05:39 PM
That's what I get for posting on OKP on my goddamn phone under the table during a meeting. I must've inadvertently moved the fucking Sports Reference stat slider. My bad.

The point stands, though. I mean, set aside the 1.5 APG over his last three years, one can come up with excuses for that, etc.-- but his career assist rate is atrociously low for a guy with his usage. When Antoine Walker and Ricky Davis both have *notably* higher career assist rates, that says there's a reason Melo isn't remotely known for his passing. He's a ball stopper.

Which, again, as said above, when he was at his peak, he was one of the best iso offense players in the world, and while he was never an especially good defender, he was closer to okay than terrible on D in his mid-to-late twenties. But now that his defense has declined considerably, and now that his shooting has been trending downward, he has to be able to move the ball to be considered for a vet position on a team. And that's just never been his game.

2701652, but he is a ball stopper and also a defensive liability
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Aug-09-19 03:27 PM
2701611, Why would they take him even on a B or a C team?
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Aug-08-19 02:16 PM
There are a dozen or so players on Team USA, there are 450 or so players in the NBA and he can't find one roster slot. Not surprising. I think it's kind of embarrassing that he asked. They are hard up for players, sure, but not that hard up.
2701616, Yup. And still best Latino to ever pick up a basektball. : - )
Posted by Orbit_Established, Thu Aug-08-19 03:56 PM

Best freshman ever too....NOPE Lew and them played Freshman
ball

Pioneer o yes he is

Still going to Springfield too

2701650, uh counting guys who played freshmen ball doesn't help your argument
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Aug-09-19 03:23 PM
dudes like alcindor, chamberlain and maravich are part of why the concept was eventually trashed. they were the best players in the country relegated to some halfassed JV shit.

the fact that he's better than manu and maybe oscar schmidt doesn't mean anything to anyone.
2701660, Bwhahah you maddd??? Carmelo CHANGED the one-and-done convo
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sat Aug-10-19 06:25 AM

Carmelo DECIDED to go to school one year, went and
WON by HIMSELF (not teaming up with 17 OTHER 5-stars
like Anthony Davis and all them dudes

He's most ICONIC Freshman in MANY DECADES and one of the
most important ever

But college don't count to y'all!?!?! BWahahahahahhsa

EVERYONE followed that model. From him to Durant to
Zion -- EVERYONE has TRIED

Melo went and DID IT

Also: NO SINGLE PLAYER has saved a legacy like Melo and
Boeheim
2701661, This is undeniably, indisputably true.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Aug-10-19 12:44 PM

>Also: NO SINGLE PLAYER has saved a legacy like Melo and
>Boeheim

Without Melo, Boeheim is Sean Miller with a zone.
2701664, Sean Miller - with 2 other trips to the championship game
Posted by DJR, Sat Aug-10-19 02:21 PM
So....not really like Sean Miller at all.
2701665, Okay, fine. Without Melo, he's Thad Matta with a zone.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Aug-10-19 04:25 PM
Point remains that for coaching legacies, there are two piles: those with a title and those without.
2701668, It got him over the hump, no doubt
Posted by DJR, Sat Aug-10-19 04:44 PM
was bound to happen, though. Should’ve happened in ‘87. Could’ve happened a few other times with some better fortune.

I can’t really think of another coach with similar accomplishments and no titles. They all got one eventually.

Boeheim’s underrated for getting the most out of his stars though. Any of the criticisms of Melo, Coleman, Billy Owens, etc that came about in the pros....nobody was saying that in college.
2701677, LMAO! Huh? That's now how sports works, bro
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sun Aug-11-19 04:40 AM
>was bound to happen, though. Should’ve happened in ‘87.
>Could’ve happened a few other times with some better
>fortune.

LMAO @ "it'll happen eventually"

That isn't how it works

Carmelo DID THAT FOR HIM

>I can’t really think of another coach with similar
>accomplishments and no titles. They all got one eventually.

Bwhahaha exactly. He had never won anything big

>Boeheim’s underrated for getting the most out of his stars
>though. Any of the criticisms of Melo, Coleman, Billy Owens,
>etc that came about in the pros....nobody was saying that in
>college.

Huh!?!? That isn't even a statistic. Melo was a Freshman...
Boeheim didn't *develop* shit. Melo developed his damn self.

The rest? So you're saying Boeheim recruits well? Why are we
inventing things that he's good at? LMAO

Melo SAVED his legacy. As a FRESHMAN.

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
2701678, Boeheim is the best coach Carmelo played for
Posted by DJR, Sun Aug-11-19 09:40 AM
>>was bound to happen, though. Should’ve happened in ‘87.
>
>>Could’ve happened a few other times with some better
>>fortune.
>
>LMAO @ "it'll happen eventually"
>
>That isn't how it works
>
>Carmelo DID THAT FOR HIM

In a sport where the champ is determined in a one and done format, I think if you put enough strong teams in the field for decades and decades, you’ll win one eventually. Often takes some luck. UConn washed Cuse twice that year. Texas knocked UConn out. I’ll take it.

>>I can’t really think of another coach with similar
>>accomplishments and no titles. They all got one eventually.
>
>Bwhahaha exactly. He had never won anything big

Take away that title....Can you think of another coach with a similar resume? Sean Miller and Thad Matta ain’t it. Great coaches like Chaney and Keady were never that close to a title. Boeheim was kinda the only guy that had won that many games, league titles, etc. and been to the championship game multiple times, without a title.

>>Boeheim’s underrated for getting the most out of his stars
>>though. Any of the criticisms of Melo, Coleman, Billy
>Owens,
>>etc that came about in the pros....nobody was saying that in
>>college.
>
>Huh!?!? That isn't even a statistic. Melo was a Freshman...
>Boeheim didn't *develop* shit. Melo developed his damn self.

I didn’t say anything about developing. Of course he didn’t “develop” Melo. Melo was an NBA player from day 1. I’m talking about coaching his teams and stars and getting the most out of them. It doesn’t have to be a statistic. It’s an observation, based on watching hundreds of thousands of games. Boeheim let Carmelo shine with no dumb shit, and the offense flowed beautifully. Sounds simple, but “offensive genius” Pringles couldn’t really figure it out because his own ego got in the way.

>The rest? So you're saying Boeheim recruits well? Why are we
>inventing things that he's good at? LMAO

He used to recruit well, yes. Not so much anymore. He still knows how to win games though.

>Melo SAVED his legacy. As a FRESHMAN.
>

The title took his legacy up a notch to where he got credit for being a great coach. But he was still a great coach prior to the title. That was certified when he took a very marginally talented 1996 team to the title game.
2701681, And Mr. Great Coach ain't win shit without Melo. Funny, aint it?
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sun Aug-11-19 11:28 AM

Melo made him
2701709, the hall of fame coach won with the hall of fame player
Posted by DJR, Mon Aug-12-19 10:33 AM
That’s usually how it goes.
2701729, It's a fairly basic science experiment
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Aug-13-19 10:29 AM

Without Melo? Boeheim didn't win dookie

With FRESHMAN Melo? Boeheim wins

Kind of amazing
2701753, Thad Matta was a better coach than Sean Miller.
Posted by guru0509, Tue Aug-13-19 05:38 PM
and yes Melo saved Boeheims legacy

2701788, Well yeah. That's why I mentioned them in that order.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Aug-14-19 10:06 PM
He objected to the Miller comparison, so I upgraded him to Matta.
2701885, I replied in the wrong place the hiatus got me rusty
Posted by guru0509, Sun Aug-18-19 09:06 AM
>He objected to the Miller comparison, so I upgraded him to
>Matta.
2701672, very shortly after him they all HAD to do it.
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Aug-10-19 08:37 PM
i can't even make sense of what you're saying here.

he's the best freshman probably, at least in the convo with davis and zion and the title sets him apart there. but now you wanna talk about wilt, kareem, pistol pete, oscar, etc. nah, that doesn't pass muster.
2701676, LOL!!! UK '12 had #1 + #2 overall picks, 4-1st ROUNDERS!!! LMAO
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sun Aug-11-19 04:37 AM

Anthony Davis' team is one of the most talented
teams ever.

Carmelo took his team and WON BY HIM FUCKING SELF.
ALL. CARMELO. He's AT LEAST the most iconic IN DECADES
and one of the best ALL.TIME.

And Zion's had #1 AND 3 AND another lottery pick and
didn't win shit!! (The Jones kid is probably a late
first this year...so that's *FOUR*)

LMAO!!!

2701688, LMAO you do realize 2003 was recent enough that we saw it, right?
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Aug-11-19 06:36 PM
they had a good team including another first rounder. we aren't talking about the teams, we're talking about the individuals. face it, you tried to expand the discussion in a direction you shouldn't have and now you're flailing around trying to obfuscate the discussion to cover it.
2701708, MELO IS MOST ICONIC NCAA FRESHMAN EVER!! LMAOO!!!
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Aug-12-19 10:14 AM

CRY ALL YOU WANT!!! ITS A FACT!!!
2701775, Iconic. Paradigm. Aren't these just words for people who want to
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Aug-14-19 05:23 PM
*sound* intelligent?
2701787, Maybe! But they are true when applied to Carmel-egend
Posted by Orbit_Established, Wed Aug-14-19 07:49 PM
>*sound* intelligent?

It's true
2701624, I don't like it. He should definitely be on a NBA team.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Thu Aug-08-19 11:01 PM
2701629, its time to sign that 1 day w/ Denver/NYK and retire.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Aug-09-19 08:47 AM
2701633, Guaranteed to get bounced by Serbia now..
Posted by Beezo, Fri Aug-09-19 10:21 AM
Doing the USA legend dirty
2701651, this whole tournament looks like like trash
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Aug-09-19 03:26 PM
you've got spain getting old and still hanging on at no. 2. serbia has some depth and obviously jokic. aussies have no simmons and canada has a bunch of guys sitting. china might fare decently because of the home court thing but that is about it, their program and the south american ones have fallen off. greece has giannis but we'll see what he can do with pretty limited support. i just don't see a lot of intrigue here, which is a shame because the u.s. is pretty vulnerable with their best guys being like mitchell and tatum.
2701666, Is Canada at risk of not qualifying for an Olympic basketball berth?
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Aug-10-19 04:37 PM
I confess I don't exactly know how it works, but I know they haven't played in the Olympics since, what, 2000? Something like that?

Murray and Barrett are obviously hurt, but I'm pretty surprised guys like SGA, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Dillon Brooks, Brandon Clarke... didn't Chris Boucher leave too? They should be in position to easily be the deepest non-America team, but now they're reliant on guys like Khem Birch and Kevin Pangos. If they're attempting to qualify for the Olympics, you'd think more guys would compete, especially in a year where the American team will be relatively weak.
2701671, Yes, 2000 was the last time they qualified. Weird, right?
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Aug-10-19 08:35 PM
Two teams from the Americans will make it out of the World Cup, and seven will qualify overall in addition to the host nation. Then next year there will be a wild-card tournament to determine the final four qualifiers.

They seem to be very disorganized and their ranking is weak, 23rd!!! That's behind countries like Venezuela, Latvia, Brazil, Turkey and Ukraine. No disrespect to any of those programs--we watched the Venezuelan team in person and they played some fierce ass defense--but come on.

It's funny too because in other sports Canada is making a big push. Their hockey reorganization basically fueled an arms race among international developmental programs, their baseball structure is improving, their soccer program is growing and they just built a ton of new tennis facilities with a 20-year outlook toward becoming a bigger force in the sport.
2701683, They could realistically field the second best team on Earth.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Aug-11-19 12:06 PM
It's unreal that whatever is going on organizationally could cost them an Olympic bid.
2701689, They have a good coach, too (Nurse) and they just lost to Nigeria
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Aug-11-19 06:42 PM
There's plenty of blame to go around. I dunno how much the Canadian National Program deserves when I really think about it. The players aren't participating. FIBA is trying to be FIFA but there are no exemptions or scheduling considerations to accommodate all these tournaments. I do hope that both Canada and Australia qualify for the Olympics, because they are both really formidable sides.
2701697, Didn't they just lose Olynyk too?
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Aug-11-19 09:05 PM
I would imagine if they lost Olynyk *and* Boucher before that game, they'd probably struggle, since I also imagine Nigeria has some good size on the floor in general.
2701808, Yea, they look like some shit. Scrimmage or not.
Posted by Beezo, Thu Aug-15-19 01:00 PM
Lethargic, selfish play. No defense.
And they talk about Melo’s defense, smh
2701686, If he's willing to accept a lesser role, he should be on a team
Posted by LA2Philly, Sun Aug-11-19 05:57 PM
Don't know if any team is willing to take that chance though
2701703, I think Melo
Posted by Musa, Mon Aug-12-19 08:29 AM
being pushed out of the league was more political than skill related.

Why pay a vet when you can pay a younger less skilled but hustle/scrappy player.
2701722, How is that political?
Posted by Cenario, Tue Aug-13-19 06:47 AM
2701727, It’s baffling how many people have told me this.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-13-19 10:23 AM
As if there’s a cabal of owners conspiring against Melo, the new Colin Kaepernick.
2701765, Less cabal, more groupthink
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Wed Aug-14-19 02:34 PM
It seems the NBA has decided he can no longer contribute.. which seems kind of ludicrous considering how many teams actively tank every year.

Plus there were the rumors that Bzdelik retired from Houston bc he didn't want to deal with Carmelo again and D'Antoni had a complicated relationship with him as well.

I don't think Carmelo has THAT bad reputation but Billups comments seem to focus on a perceived lack of humility in Carmelo.

Ultimately, it makes me wonder if teams just don't want to deal with whatever baggage they perceive with him now that he can't be the man every night.

It's sad that it's playing out in public like this too. I can't quite decide whether it's a sign of hubris or humility bc it's gotta be embarrassing.
2701778, There is just no fit for him, basically
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Aug-14-19 05:28 PM
Good teams can't identify a specific role for him, bad teams would rather have a younger guy with some potential for the future and no team is looking at him like a box office money maker. It isn't that he's worse than every player in the NBA, but he's not a fit for any one team.
2701810, thats not groupthink Erykah
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Aug-15-19 02:08 PM
2701782, The last part is the cherry on top
Posted by Musa, Wed Aug-14-19 06:23 PM
. Melo building basketball courts in the Favelas of Brazil is Political.

Melo speaking up against police brutality is political.

Also Melo (eventhough he is in Lebron's draft class) reminds the powers that be of the Iverson era I think.
2702163, Breh it's not that deep. He ain't Kap. Watch him play. He's not good.
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Aug-25-19 05:10 PM
2701776, *grabs diction dictionary* *flips to P* *finds "political"*
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Aug-14-19 05:24 PM
2701705, Worse league exit: Melo or Iverson?
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Mon Aug-12-19 09:25 AM
Cause this is what that feels like.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.
2701706, so far Melo because he hasnt actually gotten an exit.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Aug-12-19 09:38 AM
just a "nah we dont want you"
2701777, Same basic thing, refusal to adapt, indifference from the league
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Aug-14-19 05:26 PM
At least Iverson got a last opportunity from a Sixers team who wanted to repay his time there and was desperate to sell tickets. No one cares enough about Melo for that type of situation to come about here. From a basketball standpoint, it's pretty similar. Guys who wouldn't take a lesser role willingly and didn't adapt their games to their aging bodies. At least Iverson could sort of play in his bounce-around period, Melo looked pretty washed, but that's splitting hairs. Shouldn't take away from what either guy did during their NBA careers, like winning four scoring titles, as many steals crowns, a league MVP, going to the Finals ... and also whatever Melo did.
2701793, https://images.app.goo.gl/2WmiXAd4n2978HCk7
Posted by Orbit_Established, Thu Aug-15-19 07:38 AM

https://images.app.goo.gl/2WmiXAd4n2978HCk7

(C)Keith Murray, "
2701985, and he came back to the NBA after that
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Aug-21-19 08:01 PM
something that won't happen for melo. better get his ass over to china while his name can still cash a check. they got fat burger over there also.
2701862, Is Melo signing with Brooklyn?
Posted by Kira, Sat Aug-17-19 12:03 PM
Humble Hoodie Melo is ready for his final stint as an NBA player. He will do anything to get back in the league.
2701872, Those jab steps looking extra crisp in his workout videos. Sign him
Posted by Beezo, Sat Aug-17-19 02:42 PM
2701880, I hope this is true.
Posted by Dr Claw, Sat Aug-17-19 06:28 PM
back in the NYC market, playing with Kyrie... I'm about to turn that agenda light all the way on
2701986, The Boards will be unbearable if this happens
Posted by isaaaa, Wed Aug-21-19 10:01 PM

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://www.Tupreme.com
2701980, Royce White says what I and anyone with eyes and ears
Posted by Musa, Wed Aug-21-19 06:26 PM
that see and hear have been saying

http://www.espn.com/videohub/video/clip/_/id/27432230
2701984, I mean..
Posted by Beezo, Wed Aug-21-19 07:47 PM
Dudley and a bunch of other scrubs.
2701987, Sit down Royce, that ain’t helping
Posted by DJR, Wed Aug-21-19 10:07 PM
2701988, Perhaps the league knows something Royce doesn’t.
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Aug-22-19 02:41 AM
2701996, That his too Black and skilled
Posted by Musa, Thu Aug-22-19 06:55 PM
plus you can under pay a 3rd rate player with "hustle"?

2701999, I see you stopped watching basketball 3 years ago
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Aug-22-19 07:23 PM
Lemme catch you up.

LeBron is a Laker. They missed the playoffs.
The raptors beat the Warriors in the finals. It was crazy. Also, Kawhi was a Raptor. He’s not anymore. Plus, Durant and Iggy aren’t Warriors anymore.
Melo is washed and has been since OKC.
Boogie was on the Warriors and then the Lakers and now he’s...probably done.

It’s been a crazy 3 years!
2702028, Stop
Posted by Musa, Fri Aug-23-19 05:00 PM
and while I did stop watching basketball as much as I used to I can tell you the 3 and D guy is overrated right now because of Golden State's recent success.

Lebron tried to copy it and failed getting a bunch of liabilities on the Cavs.

The Lakers barring injuries will be in the Finals.

Melo is better than 50% of the league.

2702041, Which league?
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Aug-24-19 12:18 AM
>Melo is better than 50% of the league.

I don’t doubt he’s in the top half of many leagues across the world. Not the NBA, obviously, but others.
2702164, Well he plays no D and can't hit the 3, so at least you're consistent
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Aug-25-19 05:12 PM
Watch his games in OKC and Houston. He literally brings nothing to the table consistently. At best he could be the Glenn Robinson-esque towel waver that the Big Dog was in San Antonio, but teams don't waste roster slots on guys like that anymore.
2702174, Hit 169 3’s in OKC, so that’s a little strong
Posted by DJR, Sun Aug-25-19 08:34 PM
2702177, On 474 attempts. He was that year, at best, an okay 3-point shooter.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Aug-26-19 12:53 AM
Which would be fine, if he was either a defender or a playmaker. And he was neither in OKC.
2702178, Um. That's the same % as Brad Beal and Kevin Durant. LOL
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Aug-26-19 07:57 AM
>Which would be fine, if he was either a defender or a
>playmaker. And he was neither in OKC.

Y'al just making shit up, this is wild
2702183, League average 3-point percentage was 36.2% that season.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Aug-26-19 10:39 AM
So Melo's 3-point shooting that season was a little below the NBA average. That's just a fact. When Beal and Durant shot those numbers last season, they also shot a little below the NBA average.

(Of course, the year Melo was in OKC, Durant shot 41.9% from 3 on over 6 attempts per game and Beal shot 37.5% from 3 on over 6 attempts per game, both of which were *over* the NBA average. And Durant and Beal are both 38+% 3-point shooters for their careers and last year's numbers were aberrations for them. But sure, we can cherry pick some of the worst shooting numbers ever for these two very good shooters for this argument, because why not.)

And, as I said, those numbers would be okay... if he played defense or had playmaking that season. And he did neither. That's the whole point. Shooting a lot of threes and hitting them at a little below the NBA average rate is okay, if you're also bringing other things to the table. If you're a detriment in both those categories, though, then you really need to be an above-average 3-point shooter. Melo wasn't that.

So. Yeah. Not sure what shit I made up in that post. The numbers are what they are. I'm not trying to be a hater. Melo is a stone-cold first-ballot HOF lock, and in his prime, he was one of the best in the world at what he did. I just feel his style of game at his current age is not really conducive to being a role player in the year 2019. I feel the same about Dwight Howard, one of my favorite players in the league when he was in Orlando, another first-ballot lock-- I don't think anyone should really expect much of him in today's game at his current age anymore. As players age and the style of the game shifts, certain players are left behind. It's nothing against them, it's just the brutal truth of players aging and styles changing.
2702219, also he wasn't consistent, didn't have a good % on open looks from 2 or 3
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon Aug-26-19 07:32 PM
in houston his 3P% was 32.8, so it got worse.

i mean are we going to cyse him being a slightly below average shooter? especially when other areas of his game are clearly below par now. he's done. it's no big deal. like cwebb and glenn robinson before him, he had a very good career that could have been even better. but it's over now.
2702220, What do the kids say? "And I....ooop..."
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Aug-26-19 07:58 PM
2702223, Bro. He shot the same as Brad Beal and Kevin Durant. Lol.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Aug-26-19 11:23 PM

Brad Beal and Kevin Durant are not average shooters.

I'm sorry, but you're gonna have to do better than that.
2702224, lmao you didn’t read, Trump.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Aug-27-19 01:50 AM
2702229, I did read. I saw silly, sad plea cops
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Aug-27-19 09:40 AM

You good tho?
2702238, *rubs temples*
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-27-19 02:09 PM
1. Melo shot *two* years ago the same as Beal and Durant shot last year. I covered that.

2. Last year was Beal's worst shooting season and Durant's worst in some time. That season was well below their average 3-point percentage. I covered that.

3. So yes, it's fair to say that, last year, Beal and Durant were below-average shooters from distance. That's... just a fact. I don't really know what else to say. The numbers are what they are. Above-average career shooters can, in fact, have below-average seasons.

4. Also worth noting that Carmelo's season shooting 35.7% from 3-- which, as we covered, was a little below the NBA average 3-point percentage-- is a full percent *above* Melo's career average 3-point percentage. So even in one of Melo's better 3-point shooting seasons... he's below the NBA average.

5. Beal and Durant were even better in that below-average season than Melo, which I wasn't going to point out, because Melo got cut after a disastrous ten games, and I didn't think it was fair. But since you keep insisting on comparing numbers from different seasons, then I guess it's worth mentioning.

If you're trying to equate Melo, a 34.7% career 3-point shooter who shot 35.7% two seasons ago, with Beal and Durant, both above 38% career 3-point shooters who shot anomalous career lows from 3 last season... then I'm really confused. You're not comparing their same seasons. You're not comparing their career numbers.

You're comparing... an above-average Melo shooting season (which is still below the NBA average)... to the worst shooting seasons that two good shooters had in a totally different year... and claiming that, because those cherry-picked percentages are the same, that I'm also arguing that Beal and Durant are "average shooters." Which is... weird.

They did, provably, have one below-NBA-average season last year. Yet I feel safe still calling them good shooters, because (a) the career percentages are above average, and (b) until last year, Beal had never shot below the NBA average from 3, and Durant hadn't shot below the NBA average since 2011. Melo hasn't shot above the NBA average from 3 in half a decade.

I like you. I like Melo. I'm not trying to denigrate Melo's career or anything like that. I'm simply pointing out facts to justify why I don't think Melo is useful in a role. I don't think that insinuating that I'm calling Beal and Durant "average shooters" is anything other than a deflection from the facts and from the overall point. And I think if I were arguing with you about a player comparison and I picked a *different season's numbers* to compare with your guy's *career-worst numbers,* you'd rightfully rip me to shreds for it.

Melo is a Hall of Famer, first ballot. And his usefulness in the NBA has come to an end. Both of those things can be true.
2702239, Bro... you’re believing the narrative
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-27-19 04:26 PM
2702249, My man openly tried to tell me 35% don't = 35 %...LOL
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Aug-27-19 11:55 PM

"Well, sure KD and Beal shot 35%, but they are good
shooters and Melo isn't because they Beal/Durant play
Overwatch, and Melo plays Fortnight, therefore, Melo's
percentage drops"

Wild

(C)Keith Murray, "
2702241, Bro. MELO SHOT SAME AS BEAL AND DURANT. No Pleas & Rice.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Aug-27-19 04:55 PM

SO YOU CANNOT SAY HE'S NOT A GOOD SHOOTER

Beal and Durant are *ELITE* NBA shooters by EVERY standard

So STOP

Shit on Melo.

But to say he's bad at 3 point shooting is factually FALSE

>Melo is a Hall of Famer, first ballot. And his usefulness in
>the NBA has come to an end. Both of those things can be true.
>

Cool, but if he can't shoot, neither can Durant or Beal
2702242, Alright, I guess I'm done in this post.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-27-19 05:05 PM
OE shouted that Melo is the same as Beal and Durant.
I gave numbers to calmly explain why that wasn't true.
OE shouted that Melo is the same as Beal and Durant.

No progress can be made here. Y'all have a good evening.
2702244, Im honestly surprised people are typing that much to OE in 2019
Posted by Cenario, Tue Aug-27-19 06:32 PM
2702248, Cats in here trying to win the Fields medal shitting on Melo.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Aug-27-19 11:52 PM

Cats shape shifting and massaging numbers

Ain't no way around it, jack
2702974, Team USA is ASS without Captain Carmelo!?!? Nope, it count!
Posted by Orbit_Established, Wed Sep-11-19 11:36 AM

Damn

(C)Keith Murray, "