Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThe Rich Paul Rule (NCAA new rules)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2701540
2701540, The Rich Paul Rule (NCAA new rules)
Posted by CyrenYoung, Wed Aug-07-19 09:23 AM
..fuck the NCAA as a staff, a record label, and a motherfuckin' crew.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27335531/ncaa-issues-rules-agents-lebron-responds

Jeff Borzello
ESPN Staff Writer

The NCAA issued a memo to agents Monday, outlining new certification requirements to represent players testing the NBA draft waters.

In the memo, obtained by ESPN, the NCAA outlined new criteria for agents: a bachelor's degree, NBPA certification for at least three consecutive years, professional liability insurance and completion of an in-person exam taken at the NCAA office in Indianapolis in early November.

The bachelor's degree requirement has led some to refer to it as the "Rich Paul Rule." Paul, who represents LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Ben Simmons and Draymond Green, among others, and recently brought his Klutch Sports Group under the United Talent Agency umbrella, began working with James a couple of years after high school and didn't graduate from college.

According to the new NCAA criteria, Paul wouldn't be able to represent underclassmen testing the NBA draft waters.

James weighed in on the new certification requirements via social media Tuesday.

LeBron James
βœ”
@KingJames
🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣 Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop! They BIG MAD 😑 and Scared 😱. Nothing will stop this movement and culture over here. Sorry! Not sorry. 😁✌🏾

7:33 PM - Aug 6, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
19.9K people are talking about this

LeBron James
βœ”
@KingJames
#TheRichPaulRule

Agents also will need to fill out an application and clear a background check.

In the application, sources told ESPN, agents are also required to agree that they will cooperate with the NCAA in investigations of rules violations, "even if the alleged violations are unrelated to NCAA-agent certification."

"Men's basketball student-athletes who are considering careers in professional basketball but who may want to return to school are only permitted to accept permissible agent services from NCAA-certified agents with a signed agent agreement," the memo stated. "It is important to remember that a men's basketball student-athlete cannot enter into an agent agreement until after his team's season has concluded, and the student-athlete has requested an evaluation from the NBA undergrad advisory committee."

Agents who complete the application and background check will take the in-person exam on Nov. 6, the day after the college basketball season begins with the Champions Classic in New York.

Agents who meet every requirement besides the three-year NBPA certification can receive an exception if the student-athlete they represented this past spring decided to return to school.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2701542, I imagine the NCAA as Trey as he was swingin at the air...
Posted by Creole, Wed Aug-07-19 10:08 AM
http://gph.is/18x4hil

#PHUCKEM

2701543, Anybody got a copy of the exam?
Posted by Beezo, Wed Aug-07-19 10:12 AM
2701544, yep, dis some bs.
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Aug-07-19 10:23 AM
2701545, burn it to the ground.
Posted by smutsboy, Wed Aug-07-19 10:32 AM
2701547, fuck those colonial motherfuckers.
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Aug-07-19 11:25 AM
2701866, ^^^
Posted by poetx, Sat Aug-17-19 12:29 PM

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad
2701550, Rich Paul supposedly has an honorary business degree from Cleveland State
Posted by B.J.S.301, Wed Aug-07-19 11:34 AM
I guess those don't count huh?

But either way, NCAA on that purity bullshit again. Long as these guys are empowered to go the agent route, changing rules doesn't matter.
2701551, Even Google & Apple don't require BA
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Wed Aug-07-19 11:54 AM
https://twitter.com/nitzbluv/status/1158836801773043712

@nitzbluv

"Even Google and Apple don't require bachelor's degrees for jobs anymore
because they're realized the ability to obtain one has more to do with being born
into privilege and high socioeconomic status vs your abilities, skills, or intelligence
but sure NCAA sounds great"
2701554, Status quo scared af mentality
Posted by LA2Philly, Wed Aug-07-19 11:58 AM
Trash
2701555, Well, this is 20 tons of horse shit.
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Aug-07-19 12:06 PM
And I don't see how they have a leg to stand on.

First, how do you regulate people who don't work for you?

Second, when a player decides they're going pro, they're no longer eligible to play in the NCAA. If a player doesn't "work" for you, it's none of your fucking concern who they hire to represent them.

Is this just about players who are trying to decide whether to go pro or not?

Also, good fucking luck getting any agent to agree to being forced to cooperate with any NCAA investigation.
2701561, RE: The Rich Paul Rule (NCAA new rules)
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Wed Aug-07-19 02:08 PM
The bachelor's degree thing is stupid and hard to defend.

The rest of it doesn't seem that crazy, and maybe even seems wise.

If a player leaves the NCAA, then yeah, they do what they want. But for people who want to come INTO your school and work with young adults under your presumptive charge, filling out an application form and doing an interview seems reasonable to me. Perhaps I am missing something.
2701573, Im so fucking beyond disgusted. Fuck everything for this n/m
Posted by Orbit_Established, Wed Aug-07-19 04:18 PM

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
2701721, Which is why I withdraw from sports as much as I can...
Posted by hip bopper, Tue Aug-13-19 05:29 AM
team sports in particular.

2701711, the bachelor degree thing is gone now.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Aug-12-19 01:54 PM
2701723, Rich wrote that piece for the Athletic and poof.
Posted by B.J.S.301, Tue Aug-13-19 08:02 AM
2701879, good, but still fuck em in the goat ass for doing it in the first place
Posted by Dr Claw, Sat Aug-17-19 06:16 PM