Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectLMAO, come on.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2701177&mesg_id=2701362
2701362, LMAO, come on.
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Jul-06-19 05:54 PM
Even if I were to concede that the Clippers gave up more--debatable as with so many pick swaps we don't know where these picks will end up or how the prospects will fare--the Clippers got a lot more back. If they didn't acquire George, they wouldn't have been able to acquire Leonard. This was the same thinking behind the Lakers giving up a lot for Davis, really, figuring that this would make them more attractive for a third FA. In the Clippers sense, it actually worked. So they gave up a lot and got TWO great players, not just one, whereas the Lakers got only AD for their haul and now whatever scraps are on the FA market after a week.

Now, did the Clippers actually give up more? They gave up first first rounders with some potential swaps involved (none of which are likely to come into play). The Lakers gave up three with two swaps (at least one of which may very well come into play) and one of those picks was No. 4 overall. It is unlikely than any of the Clippers or Heat's picks are that high, given that the Clippers just opened a four-year window of contention and the Heat are in an aggressive position as well (they are courting Russy now, just got J.G. Buckets, etc).

Then there are the roster players. SGA and Ingram, if healthy, are pretty equivalent prospects. Two young players or one expiring deal, well, I think to New Orleans the two young players are worth more, to OKC it's debatable, I guess.

So again, maybe the Clippers gave up more, maybe they didn't. What we can be damn sure if that they got a lot more back. Without George, they don't get Leonard, and they got both here. The Lakers were rewarded for years of ineptitude, but not as handsomely as you'd hope. There is some justice in the universe for the Clippers, who have been a model franchise under their new ownership/management (and have a great coach), and didn't deserve to come up empty handed. Now the teams are pretty even, too, with the Lakers have some star power edge (but more injury questions) and the Clippers have a stronger supporting cast. Finally this is a legit, meaningful rivalry. That's good for the game.