Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectWarriors off-season post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2699230&mesg_id=2699230
2699230, Warriors off-season post
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Jun-14-19 12:16 PM
So, again, that sucked. Time to move on.

Anyone celebrating that the "dynasty is over" watches too much First Take. We'll be back. Next year is going to be a challenge even if everything goes "right" in the off-season. But we'll likely be in good position for the future.

Of course, the main priority is resigning Klay and KD. All indications have Klay staying, so not worried about that. Who knows how long he'll be out next season, but ensuring he's on the team long-term in paramount. And the plan is to offer him the five-year max.

Been saying it all season (shoot, for years), KD is staying. Still feel awful for the guy, but the team plans on rewarding him with a five-year max deal, and they can afford to have him sit out for the year. The only real comp are the Knicks, who can also afford to sit him for a year, since they're not going to be the good next season regardless.

I like Cousins. I feel bad for the guy because of his injury during the first, which factored into him playing inconsistent during the finals. Wouldn't have either of our finals wins without him. And, honestly, wouldn't mind him back for the MLE, which I don't think is even ***that*** much of a stretch to happen. If other teams just offer him a one-year deal to "prove himself," he might as well re-up with us for a year. However, if someone offers him a big contract, vaya con dios.

Next priorities are Looney and Cook. Looney's a tough sumbitch, and even earlier in the play-offs the word was the Warriors were working on signing him to an extension. He certainly played himself into a big contract during the regular season and the play-offs. Resigning Cook is also pretty important. He was off and on during the play-offs, but he's the perfect back-up PG for the team. And he's really good friends from KD.

The next interesting cases are Iggy and Livingston, the remaining two of the three wise men. They're both on the last year of their deals. Iggy dealt with injuries all play-offs, so sometimes he looked like "Play-Off Iggy" (like last night) and other times he looked hurt. Livingston looked done during the regular season, but bounced back a bit during the play-offs, especially during the Houston series. There might be a world where the Warriors try to move either or both as expiring deals to get a little younger. The thing is, both are beloved by the organization. Especially Iggy, who ownership acknowledges was an integral part to building the team's culture. So they might be both be back.

I like McKinnie and would like him back. We'll see if anyone else offers him anything else beyond league minimum.

Damian Jones will be back. They hope he'll make a Looney-like leap next season and become a bigger part of the rotation.

Bogut probably goes back to Australia. Wouldn't mind him as a back-up center if they need a third big man.

Jordan Bell? Um... yeah. They'll be okay with him testing the market to see if anyone will sign him, and if not, **maybe** bring him back. But he's like the last roster spot type of signing for the Warriors.

So, yeah, remaining cautiously optimistic, even with the injuries and question-marks. Next year **might** be a retooling season, but I still think we make the play-offs. And depending on when and if certain players recover, we have a solid chance at making a push. Thinking this is over is dumb.