Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDeontay Wilder vs Luis Ortiz rematch tentatively set for September 28th
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2697402
2697402, Deontay Wilder vs Luis Ortiz rematch tentatively set for September 28th
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Thu May-30-19 07:56 AM
They're saying PPV but I hope it's not.

It's not THE fight that people wanna see, of course, but there are some reasons that fight isn't happening that casual fans won't be aware of. I'll discuss those below.
But first:
Wilder says he wants to clear up the "controversy" where the ref and doctors were accused of giving him extra time to recover from almost getting KO'd in the 7th round.
I think Wilder also wants to give Ortiz another pay day since Ortiz was frozen out for his whole career, and he has a daughter with special needs, which Deontay can relate to.

As for the match itself. Judging from Ortiz' last two fights, his age appears to be catching up to him, and getting KO'd by Wilder in the first fight definitely isn't good for the aging process of someone around the age of 40. I wanna see Ortiz get his just due and all the money he missed out on in his career, but I just hate that he has to take more punches from Wilder to do it lol. Wilder has revamped his training camp and gotten back to basics. In the brief bout with Breazeale the other week, we even saw Wilder go to the body which he didn't do at all against Fury. If Wilder actually starts to vary his attack and think more in the ring, bad news for the opposition.

Now let's clear up some things:

Some are going to say he's "ducking" Anthony Joshua or Tyson Fury. As someone who's followed this whole saga pretty closely, here's why that's false.

Before we get to the ducking accusations, some say Ortiz hasn't accomplished anything or never had titles, etc.
Well, Joshua's promotional company (Matchroom) is largely to blame for that. They signed him with the promise that he'd get a shot at Joshua who was a champion at that time. They never gave him his shot. They actually signed him to keep him AWAY from Joshua, as signing him gave them control of his career. It was indeed a duck move. Ortiz finally peeped game and left the company having never gotten his title shot. Cuban boxers have tended to get screwed in all kinds of ways tho... especially that generation. Rigondeaux is another example.

First Fury. Wilder and Fury were in negotiations for an immediate rematch at the beginning of the year. Suddenly, Fury signed with Top Rank who wanted him to take 2 fights prior to rematching Wilder.

As for Joshua, Wilder tried really hard to make that fight for the better part of 2018. To make a long story short, he offered Joshua a legit 50 million after Joshua said he accept the fight for 50 mil. The funds were verified. Joshua turned it down as his team claimed they had some "5 year plan" for Joshua. Prior to this, Team Joshua said Wilder's name wasn't big enough and offered him a flat fee (unheard of for fight of this magnitude). They even threatened to "freeze Wilder out" if he kept calling for the fight. That's just the main points. There's a lot of immature stuff they did. When you bring it up, Wilder gets pretty mad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N73kL9AgLPc#t=5m34s
After all the stuff they put Wilder's team through, Wilder said fuck it. Said he's not jumping through anymore hoops trying to make that fight and is just gonna do his own thing in-house at Showtime. This is how we're getting the Ortiz fight as he's also a PBC fighter now. Adam Kownacki will probably be next.
Now that Joshua's trying to build his name in the U.S. through the DAZN app, he's calling for Wilder. Team Joshua screwed up so bad that John Skipper of DAZN had to step in and try to make the Joshua fight himself. They offered Wilder 120 mil for a 4 fight deal which supposedly included Joshua for $40 mil. Team Wilder turned it down, because no one would specify a date for the Joshua fight.

Going back to how Matchroom did Ortiz, Team Joshua deserves to have Ortiz fighting in a spot that Joshua wants... even needs at this point.

After Jarrell "Big Baby" Miller got caught with that PED cocktail in his system, Joshua was looking for a new opponent. They reached out to Ortiz, who turned them down. Now we see why. He was already in line to fight Wilder in-house.

2697510, Dangerous fight for Wilder, brave
Posted by isaaaa, Thu May-30-19 03:57 PM

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com
2697574, Idk man. Ortiz looked to have lost a step in his last couple of fights.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Fri May-31-19 12:23 AM
Sometimes age catches up to you all of a sudden. Taking hard shots like he took in the first fight will also slow a fighter down... especially at his age.
He coulda been looking suspect on purpose to encourage people to fight him, but I'm doubting it.
2697518, Lol fuck boxing man
Posted by snacks, Thu May-30-19 04:50 PM
I'm tired of the politics and I'm not going to justify this being a good fight at this stage. Wilder is gonna finish Ortiz within 4 or 5 and I won't be watching
2697575, Heavyweight & Welterweight are pretty annoying right now
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Fri May-31-19 12:31 AM
>I'm tired of the politics and I'm not going to justify this
>being a good fight at this stage. Wilder is gonna finish Ortiz
>within 4 or 5 and I won't be watching

Yeah everyone's tired of the politics when they prevent the best fights which seems to be happening most at the two aforementioned weight classes right now. Everyone wants Wilder vs Joshua and Crawford vs Spence. Politics are messing them both up. I don't want this fight either, but I'm gonna watch because I'm a pretty hardcore boxing fan. I'm gonna hate seeing Ortiz go out like this, but I also have to see it lol. Being a hardcore tho, there are so many great matchups lined up and boxing is actually doing great despite the frustrating happenings.
2697531, if only Ortiz were 10 years younger
Posted by Kungset, Thu May-30-19 06:50 PM
2697576, Yeah when he was 10 yrs younger no one would fight him lol
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Fri May-31-19 12:34 AM
He's always been high risk, low reward. He also dropped out of the WBA rankings and got caught with banned substances in his system, so he's not without blame.
But yeah, I don't have much faith that Ortiz can pull this off at this age.