Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectWarriors ownership has always maintained that they'll pay whatever...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2696749&mesg_id=2696962
2696962, Warriors ownership has always maintained that they'll pay whatever...
Posted by mrhood75, Thu May-23-19 04:25 PM
...luxury tax it takes to keep the team's core together. Two weeks ago, Lacob gave an interview where he said he wanted Curry and Klay on the team "forever." He'd look like a jerk if he then didn't give Klay what he wanted in order to stay there.

And, moreover, they're opening the Chase Center next season, so they're going to want the team to be as familiar as possible. Especially IF the Warriors win the championship this year. So there's a very real possibility that they'll sign both Klay and KD to supermax deals during the off-season.

As for Draymond? He has said he's not taking any more discounts, and that he was underpaid during his last contract. Which is true, but it wasn't really the Warriors fault; the cap spiked and all of a sudden Mozgov was getting more money than him. Green signing with Klutch reinforces that he's not giving anyone any deals.

I don't know if he "deserves" the supermax. I've said before that on the Warriors, he's a max player. But I don't know if he on another team.

I'd say if KD leaves this summer, they definitely don't resign Draymond. Certainly not for the supermax. They let him walk and take their best shot at the best forward/best man on the market. Livingston and Iggy will also be off the books after next season, so they'll have more money to sign people.

If Klay and KD stay, I can still see a world where they let Draymond leave, only because the Spurs are the team model we're trying to pursue, and they're going to want to get younger.