Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectBut they also rewarded those draft picks
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2696749&mesg_id=2696924
2696924, But they also rewarded those draft picks
Posted by auragin_boi, Thu May-23-19 08:28 AM
Drexler
Roy
Aldridge
Randolph
Sabonis

Trades:
Sheed

All these guys got a brinks truck and none of them won a title in Portland. Clyde was the only one to get them to the finals.

The Blazers have only missed the playoffs 14 times since becoming an NBA franchise. They've missed the playoffs 6 times since 1990. They typically field competitive playoff teams. In Portland, that's like a broken ATM machine spitting out $100 bills.

You have to keep that in stride considering how hard it is to win a title...especially in a small market.

If I'm a team owner, I weigh competitive team that prints cash vs capped out team that 'might' have a shot at a title along with the Warriors, Bucks, Raptors, Rockets, Nuggets, Wherever LeBron is, Wherever KD goes, etc.

So if I'm paying luxury taxes, eating into profit and still losing to one of those teams, how is that better? My fans are selling out the arena so long as we are a winning franchise and make the playoffs.

I'd bide my time, hope that our FO lands the 'lightening in a bottle' draft pick that compliments Dame, CJ, etc and keep the cash flow coming. When Dame flames out, get the next guy to lead us to similar results, rinse, wash repeat.