Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: I was about to say, lmao. This is PORTLAND.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2696749&mesg_id=2696869
2696869, RE: I was about to say, lmao. This is PORTLAND.
Posted by auragin_boi, Wed May-22-19 09:29 AM
>>Maintaining a reputation of "if you play well for us,
>you're
>>set for life" is really the only way Portland will *ever*
>get
>>their best draft picks to stay with them long-term. That
>sense
>>of reputation and loyalty. It's legit the only card a small
>>market team can play.
>
>Who has that worked out well for?

To your point, this is a business. Yes, building title teams make you more profitable but keeping a competitive team, in a small market, is like printing cash. Portland has nothing BUT the blazers. If they are a winning/playoff team for 10 seasons and Dame is the catalyst...you've made hella cash likely (especially if you've managed the cap well).

But if Portland sucks for 10yrs, it might be so bad that you'd have to consider relocating the team but you'd likely end up in the same situation but in a different small market.

So, if I'm an owner and I want to keep printing cash, I pay Dame so that the "next Dame" can see I'm going to take care of him.

To an owner of a small market team, printing cash for 20 straight winning seasons is just as valuable as winning titles. Most owners know that winning a title is part lightening in a bottle so they focus on profit first, winning it all second.

Sometimes, we get into our 'fan' goggles when it comes to managing teams. These guys are really about that cake. If it was all about winning, they'd skirt on the luxury tax and go all in to get titles every season. And we know only a handful of teams are about that life.

>You don't let him walk at 31, you trade him for young
>players/draft picks.

This still could hurt your rep and possibly kill your profit. If the young players/draft picks flop (highly likely) and your small market team stops having winning seasons...the cash printing slows.

Only way you trade Dame is if the team isn't winning/going to the playoffs anymore. But before you get there, he's pissed because you didn't supermax him when he became eligible. And he's probably bad mouthing the org for 2 seasons and swaying other players to not want to stay/play in Portland.

>This is the modern NBA, that "loyalty" shit is out the window
>on both sides. Players want to get to where they can win and
>get the most money while doing it.

You're right. This is a $$ decision more than loyalty. It's good for those type of optics though.

Edit: I should also clarify when I said 'bad business move' I meant that in the same terms you do...as it pertains to winning a title within the salary cap structure.