Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectTo Zion: 2019 NBA Lotto post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2696117
2696117, To Zion: 2019 NBA Lotto post
Posted by Marauder21, Tue May-14-19 09:25 AM
It's the first year with the new and improved(?) lottery odds that give the worst three teams equal chance to get the #1 pick and drawing four teams instead of three.

Here are your reps for the night:
Knicks: Patrick Ewing
Cavs: Dan Gordon's son AGAIN
Suns: DeAndre Ayton
Bulls: Horace Grant (hopefully wearing the goggles)
Hawks: Jami Gertz (it's still wild to me that she's a part owner of the Hawks)
Wiz: Raul Fernandez
Pelicans: Alvin Gentry
Grizz: Elliot Perry (when did ELLIOT PERRY get "minority owner of a team" money? He wasn't even in the shitty Less Than Zero movie!)
Mavs: CEO Cynthia Marshall
Wolves: Soon to be executive of the year Gersson Rosas
Lakers: Kuz
Hornets: James Borrego
Heat: Zo
Also, team presidents Chris Heck (Sixers) and Rich Gotham (Celtics) will both be there to see which one gets Sacramento's pick.
2696123, knicks not winning it
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue May-14-19 10:50 AM
2696124, I'm pulling for Atlanta to get Zion
Posted by Marauder21, Tue May-14-19 10:59 AM
That could be nuts, and the Hawks have somehow NEVER had a #1 overall pick in franchise history despite being the Hawks (they did draft David Thompson #1 but he signed with Denver instead.)
2696129, :(
Posted by Amritsar, Tue May-14-19 12:13 PM
2696196, Thanks Hambone.
Posted by Castro, Tue May-14-19 09:34 PM
2696128, if the fucking cavs or suns get another #1...
Posted by RandomFact, Tue May-14-19 12:04 PM
nba needs the bulls and knicks to end up in the first two slots 🙏

edit: sorry doc
2696155, lol.
Posted by CyrenYoung, Tue May-14-19 06:59 PM

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2696130, Oh yeah, forgot the trades
Posted by Marauder21, Tue May-14-19 12:25 PM
-Memphis has to send their pick to Boston if it's outside the top 8
-Dallas has to send their pick to Atlanta if it's outside the top 4
-Sacramento has to send their pick to Philly if it's #1, otherwise it goes to Boston
2696140, hol up
Posted by Numba_33, Tue May-14-19 03:19 PM
>-Sacramento has to send their pick to Philly if it's #1,
>otherwise it goes to Boston

So the franchise that was the cause of this whole mess for the worst team not having the best chance of getting the number one pick can actually end up getting the number one pick?

This is result of a trade Elton Brand pulled off, right? If so, and if the Sixers actually get the number one pick, he deserves a Nobel Peace Prize.
2696141, I believe it's from the Jayson Tatum/Markelle Fultz swap from
Posted by Marauder21, Tue May-14-19 03:35 PM
two years ago. Philly originally had the pick from a Sacramento salary dump so the Kings could sign Rajon Rondo(!)

https://thesixersense.com/2019/05/14/philadelphia-76ers-win-nba-lottery/

This was all made possible by the genius known as Sixers former general manager (GM) Sam Hinkie. After the 2015 draft, the Sacramento Kings were looking to make a splash in free agency and needed to unload some contracts to do so. Hinkie was a willing trade partner and took on the contracts of Carl Landry and Jason Thompson, for two young foreign prospects in Arturas Gudaitis and Luka Mitrovic.

The two veterans weren’t the only pieces that the Sixers recieved in that trade. Hinkie also was able to get a young prospect in Nik Stauskas, along with the rights to swap picks in 2017 and the Kings unprotected pick in 2019.

Former president of basketball operations Bryan Colangelo did hurt the value of the 2019 pick when he traded with the Celtics in 2017 in order to draft Markelle Fultz with the first pick. The only way the Sixers can receive the Kings pick now is if the Kings get the first overall pick in the draft lottery.
2696131, Congrats to the Lakers for leaping into the Top 4.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue May-14-19 12:41 PM
2696139, As a Knicks fan
Posted by Numba_33, Tue May-14-19 02:56 PM
I can wrap my head around Cleveland or Chicago potentially getting the first pick as at least those teams are big market basketball cities. Even Atlanta wouldn't hurt too badly since Zion and Trae Young would be fun to look at from afar. Phoenix though? Good grief that would be a complete unmitigated disaster. I suppose Dallas would get me some stress as well since the whole Porzingis deal went down.

I hope the Knicks can at least get the first or second pick as Ja Morant would be a nice building block for years to come if the Zion ship sails away as result of another team have better luck that my terrible miserable Knicks franshise. I wish I knew why I remain a fan of this damn team.
2696142, Cleveland has had like 12 #1 picks in the past 20 years
Posted by RandomFact, Tue May-14-19 03:36 PM
fuck them

sorry doc.
2696144, Teams that win it in back to back years
Posted by Marauder21, Tue May-14-19 03:43 PM
Should forefit the right to win it again for a decade.
2696145, Better them than Phoenix
Posted by Numba_33, Tue May-14-19 03:51 PM
Phoenix literally had the number one pick last year and they are still putrid. They have the nerve to let the number one pick from last year represent them at tonight's draft selection process.

Watch them win it all tonight and screw over any and everyone that values watching quality basketball.
2696146, speaking of phoenix...
Posted by RandomFact, Tue May-14-19 04:02 PM
https://twitter.com/NewLookKnicks/status/1128394575108816897

most likely just a random rehearsal but still amusing to witness knicks twitter completely freak out.
2696147, Man, if this happens the West is going to be too damn unfair
Posted by Marauder21, Tue May-14-19 04:06 PM
But holy shit Twitter would be fun for the rest of the night
2696149, howard beck (who is in the drawing room) pretty much shut it down in a series of tweets
Posted by RandomFact, Tue May-14-19 04:14 PM
but it's still odd that they would rehearse *that* specific order. unless they go through all possibilities but that would also be odd.

@HowardBeck
I don't know what you're referring to, but the draw hasn't happened yet. Also, the draw hasn't happened yet. And by the way, the draw hasn't happened yet.

The draw happens at 6:50p CT.

(But I think I'm ready to surrender all my electronics immediately.)
2696151, Seems like
Posted by Ryan M, Tue May-14-19 04:48 PM
It's cause all those teams would have jumped up in the lottery, right? So they probably wanted to be sure that they can technically handle things if and when NOTHING goes according to plan.
2696148, Lakers gonna win it. Calling it now.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue May-14-19 04:12 PM
2696150, A top 4 pick is almost for sure getting traded.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue May-14-19 04:29 PM
I might be crazy but I'm apt to keep Zion...anyone beyond that, I'm down with a trade for a star.
2696152, Okay, so here's a question:
Posted by mrhood75, Tue May-14-19 05:37 PM
Let's say the Lakers get the #3 (or #2 or #4, doesn't really matter) draft pick. And then the Knicks get the #1.

Would you then offer up LeBron for that #1 pick and whatever other bad/expiring contracts that the Knicks have?

That would give the Lakers Ingram, Kuzma, Ball, and two of the top 3 or 4 picks in the Lottery to move forward with.
2696153, The Knicks don’t want Lebron
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue May-14-19 05:49 PM
2696154, Well, it applies to any team with the #1. Picked NY because they have...
Posted by mrhood75, Tue May-14-19 06:40 PM
...the worst overall record.
2696173, Oh well, never mind.
Posted by mrhood75, Tue May-14-19 07:57 PM
2696156, LOL!..
Posted by CyrenYoung, Tue May-14-19 07:01 PM
..c'mon.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2696172, I was excited for a second! lmao
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue May-14-19 07:57 PM
2696161, fucking shit
Posted by RandomFact, Tue May-14-19 07:45 PM
this essentially stamped the ticket for another three years of complete irrelevance

also probably took us out of the running for drafting a serviceable point guard (ie the position of need).
2696162, Lol
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue May-14-19 07:47 PM
2696163, Back at a TV but watching on my phone out of superstition
Posted by Ryan M, Tue May-14-19 07:51 PM
Started watching on my phone with closed captioning on in a meeting

LETS GOOOOOOOOOO
2696164, IDSJSFOISDFLKSDJKLFSD KNICKS DKFJSDLJFSLDKJFSDJFSD
Posted by RandomFact, Tue May-14-19 07:51 PM
lolz
2696165, David Griffin must have some dirt on Adam Silver
Posted by FILF, Tue May-14-19 07:52 PM
2696166, Wow. Now what?
Posted by Ryan M, Tue May-14-19 07:52 PM
2696167, wow silver just saved basketball in NO
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue May-14-19 07:53 PM
also im happy w/ the 4th pick
2696169, Rui Hachimura about to sell out STAPLES
Posted by FILF, Tue May-14-19 07:56 PM
>also im happy w/ the 4th pick
2696175, LeBron packaging that shit
Posted by RandomFact, Tue May-14-19 08:02 PM
2696168, NOT RIGGED!
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Tue May-14-19 07:54 PM
Memphis woulda been time he ultimate no rig though
2696171, Hasheem Thabeet is rolling over in his grave
Posted by FILF, Tue May-14-19 07:56 PM
>Memphis woulda been time he ultimate no rig though
2696170, NBA nightmare. AD isn’t staying poor Zion
Posted by 81 DUN, Tue May-14-19 07:56 PM
2696201, They are probably not moving him until the deadline
Posted by FILF, Tue May-14-19 09:52 PM
In any case, AD's tanking & gifted them Zion so can't be mad
2696174, Zion better be calling AD *right now*
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue May-14-19 07:57 PM
2696177, AD's still leaving, though
Posted by Marauder21, Tue May-14-19 08:07 PM
Good for them that they were able to get his replacement, but he's not going to sign there. AD/Zion could be fun for a season, though.
2696178, Yeah that ain’t keeping him
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue May-14-19 08:11 PM
2696192, RE: Yeah that ain’t keeping him
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Tue May-14-19 09:21 PM
Was waiting for you to say

Why do they need Zion when they already have junkyard Ju
2696197, Well... there's that too. But I had an epiphany today.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue May-14-19 09:35 PM
I want to find a way to get Ju on Denver in place of Millsap.

Ju on Phoenix would be great too.
2696210, Best landing spot for him is BK
Posted by FILF, Tue May-14-19 10:42 PM
>I want to find a way to get Ju on Denver in place of
>Millsap.

Millsap is the best defender on the team & fits well alongside Jokic. Most likey going to re-up for 3yr/45mill type contract.

>Ju on Phoenix would be great too.

Ayton/Booker/Julius would be the equivalent of a turnstile on defense.
2696179, AD should stay in NO....
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Tue May-14-19 08:11 PM
that's cold combo to make with Zion... and he could get more money... and would be a solid destination for other free agents to join....and they got Jrue..

crazy how this turned out..

either way Lakers getting the #4 pick is super valuable...

IF AD wanted to leave.. NO would probably take only 1 of our young guys...along with the #4 pick, and a future first round pick...

2696186, Ha
Posted by Premiere, Tue May-14-19 08:24 PM
2696344, lmao they turned down more than that already
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed May-15-19 08:07 PM
and other teams could offer even more. in an all-things-equal situation, the lakers aren't getting him. they have to outbid everyone by a clear margin.
2696180, LONGO!!!!
Posted by dula dibiasi, Tue May-14-19 08:13 PM
darius garland and coby white. talk to me!
2696185, everyone may be off the board
Posted by RandomFact, Tue May-14-19 08:21 PM
grizzlies - ja
lakers (if they keep it) - garland
phx - coby

i'm ready to pay conley and attempt to get the most out of our core for the next three years and hope for the best. might as well holler at derrick too.
2696187, maybe. no real consensus after the top 3.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Tue May-14-19 08:40 PM
>lakers (if they keep it) - garland
>phx - coby

i've seen both as low as 10 in some mocks.

>i'm ready to pay conley and attempt to get the most out of our
>core for the next three years and hope for the best. might as
>well holler at derrick too.

nah. hard pass. no half measures. whoever starts at pg needs to be under 25. you have to develop a core in the same age range (lavine 24, lauri 22, WCJ 20), otherwise you just spinning your wheels.

take garland or white if they're on the board, trade for lonzo, sign dlo to an offer sheet. any would be a better option than going w a 30+ yr old imo.

2696188, Yeah, I know nothing about any of these dudes
Posted by RandomFact, Tue May-14-19 08:58 PM
Just want a guy that's going to make Zach/Lauri/WCJ better during these crucial developmental years. No idea who that is but my (uninformed) gut says it's a veteran.
2696194, a veteran backup, sure.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Tue May-14-19 09:27 PM
but give the reins to somebody who can grow with those guys.

otherwise, 3 yrs from now, which even if everything breaks perfectly is still realistically the absolute earliest that they'd be starting to contend, you're still looking for your pg of the future (neither conley or rose will be a starting caliber player at that point) with fewer avenues to acquire him (no lottery pick, and lavine/lauri/carter already off rookie scale and making big dollars)

just find the guy now, take your lumps, and do a proper rebuild w guys who can develop together. you're gonna take hella L's but don't try to skip steps. imo you have to align the ages of your best guys as much as possible. any 30 yr olds on this team should be backups.
2696202, I hear ya. Especially if everyone is fairly confident White/Garland
Posted by RandomFact, Tue May-14-19 09:57 PM
will be better than Dunn.

But in the meantime... https://twitter.com/NOTSportsCenter/status/1128486141353709573
2696204, I'd say Garland is the best pg. It'll take some time though.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue May-14-19 10:00 PM
I don't think White is a pg.
2696205, been hearing good things about garland for a while now.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Tue May-14-19 10:15 PM
no idea if they're accurate but i've read lillard and van exel comps.
2696206, That's exactly what he could be.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue May-14-19 10:19 PM
For the way the NBA is played now, he's a perfect fit if healthy.

The only problem is is that he's slight of build.
2696207, i actually still like dunn a lot as a bench guy.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Tue May-14-19 10:21 PM
reminds me of marcus smart and tony allen. real "locker room leader" qualities. not sure why cats so eager to drive him to the airport.
2696209, He can definitely be that. Like a Keyon Dooling type.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue May-14-19 10:40 PM
Every time I think of Dunn, I think of Thibs drafting him and keeping me away from a KAT/Jamal Murray team... and I just start cursing.
2696309, Dunn plays his best away from LaVine anyway.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Wed May-15-19 02:50 PM
2696216, I'd be *stunned* if Garland and White *both* went before Culver.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue May-14-19 11:33 PM
>grizzlies - ja
>lakers (if they keep it) - garland
>phx - coby

I think one of them should definitely be there.
2696218, MY THOUGHTS!
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed May-15-19 12:17 AM
Garland: Easy to fall in love with him. Best handles in the class. Might be the quickest PG in the class end to end-- certainly competes with Morant in that regard (though Morant is longer and far more athletic). Potentially the best 3-point shooter in the class as well. Not a *great* athlete, not terribly strong, and not currently a tremendous creator for others with consistency. Def will have to work on that assist-to-turnover ratio... but then again, a lot of the better PGs in the league today came in with a similar sort of question. Defense, he showed good effort-- not strong enough or long enough to be a stopper, but a good motor guy on that end.

It's *really* hard to say what he'll be because our sample size was so small, but I think his upside is obvious. I think his worst case scenario is, like, Diet Coke CJ McCollum-- someone who never really becomes a PG but still finds a niche in this league as a guy who, at worst, can go off scoring any given night. Best case scenario, you've got someone like Lillard or Kyrie but a step or two down-- or perhaps more accurately a Jeff Teague with a better jumpshot-- someone who likely will have bumps in the road as he learns how to create for others but who ends up a natural guy with the ball in his hands as the game winds down.

White: Like Garland, a quick PG who'll fire from anywhere and who probably scores better than he creates. Shifty ballhandler. A genius in transition. A terrific shooter for the most part, though I'm not in love with his release point. Also not a great athlete-- Garland probably the better athlete, but White *definitely* is stronger. Like Garland, questionable decision making-- I saw way more Coby game tape, obviously, and he's a guy who can shoot you in or out of a game. Example: end of the first Duke game, White was really starting to jack questionable shots in a game where he struggled against Tre Jones. White had the ball in his hands late in a key possession, and I turned to my friends and say, "We've won." Sure enough, White took an awful shot, missed badly, Duke wins the game.

Hard to hold that against White tbh-- a freshman willing to take those shots is a commodity, honestly. Also hard to compare him to Garland since Garland has so much less game tape-- also, White wasn't the prospect Garland was and wasn't even expected to be OAD, so does that mean he played above his talent this year or was he just too slept on in HS? I'd personally peg White's ceiling as, and I'm not the first person to say this, a Diet Coke Gilbert Arenas. Never the most efficient guy, but a terror when he's hot, and if he got on the right team, he'd be outstanding. Floor is maybe... I don't know, a more aggressive Greivis Vasquez? I think he's deserving of a Top 10 pick, at worst.

Tough to say who Chicago wants. Neither is probably the ideal fit next season with LaVine, as neither is likely to be a better distributor than Dunn Day 1-- or honestly have a better A:TO than Dunn. Both guys will also likely have green lights, and since we know Zach has a green light, that could potentially backfire, especially considering how tremendously talented the frontcourt is for the Bulls next season. I think Garland has the higher upside if he can develop some of those point skills-- he's a little less reckless than White, he has the higher pedigree, and I wouldn't be too concerned about his lack of strength since the Bulls have some length and interior presence to help him defensively if bigger guards try to bully him (plus Dunn would be there for this express reason). One will likely wonder if Garland's injury/long absence would affect his play at least in the short term... but then again, I think it's likely the Bulls are tanking again next season, so the higher upside guy is probably the move.

(This, of course, introduces the question of whether they should just take Best Available over Fit at that point in the draft-- but that's a different question.)
2696312, All I read in your post...
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Wed May-15-19 02:55 PM
...is how fast these guys are,
and I can't help but think about how Boylen
kept dumping it in the post to Robin Lopez.

Maybe new assist. coach Chris Fleming can keep them running.

Thanks for your analysis.
2696318, There are two alternatives that I think would be great for the Bulls.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed May-15-19 03:31 PM
1. The Cavs or Suns fall in love with someone like Jaxson Hayes or Doumbouya or Bol Bol (lol) or Romeo Langford (lolololol). In that case, I would grab DeAndre Hunter and not think twice. He has by far the highest floor, and while he's not a world class athlete, he's the best defender in the draft, he's a dead eye shooter from 3 and midrange, and he's a high-IQ, make-the-right-play guy. A Hunter/Lauri/Carter front court is absolutely monstrous imo. (Or, even *better* scenario, Culver falls-- but I think it's way more likely Hunter falls than Culver.)

2. The three picks behind Chicago go to Atlanta, Washington, and Atlanta-- and I can't imagine *any of those picks* being used on a PG. Float into the world that you're interested in someone like Cam Reddish-- who honestly has the type of upside and versatility that the Bulls would be interested in, realistically-- and see if you can get Atlanta or Washington to move up. Then you still get Garland or White *and* some sort of additional asset.

2696385, my man!
Posted by dula dibiasi, Thu May-16-19 09:44 AM
nice one. gotta check out some film on these 2 (and others)
2696181, Tanking is pretty much dead after tonight, right?
Posted by Numba_33, Tue May-14-19 08:15 PM
Bottom three teams got 3rd, 5th and 7th picks, right? Message well received, NBA.

Thank you, Philadelphia.
2696184, Nice of Kuz to go to see what pick he’ll be packaged with
Posted by Anonymous, Tue May-14-19 08:19 PM
2696190, LoL
Posted by FILF, Tue May-14-19 09:01 PM
2696227, lol
Posted by Reeq, Wed May-15-19 04:46 AM
2696236, that look on his face lolll... they killed the young core's confidence
Posted by Amritsar, Wed May-15-19 07:04 AM
2696189, i'd like to proclaim this is further evidence its rigged
Posted by HecticHavoc, Tue May-14-19 09:00 PM
two least profitable teams get the first two picks?

give the team with AD, threatening to leave, a "bone" to keep him??
2696221, You could find storylines for any scenario to say it’s “rigged”
Posted by Ryan M, Wed May-15-19 12:20 AM
Stop. You look foolish.

(Also #6 Hahahah)
2696193, Lebron and the #4 pick to NO for Zion...
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Tue May-14-19 09:23 PM
I'd do it...
2696199, Zion to NOLA is great tho....2nd lines singing about Zion.
Posted by Castro, Tue May-14-19 09:40 PM
Thats going to be the shit.
2696215, Not sure why Lakers fans think they have a line on AD
Posted by auragin_boi, Tue May-14-19 11:19 PM
When the Knicks have a higher pick, the potential to allow NO to add RJ Barrett to Zion with that pick (which will ease Zion's disappointment with being in NO) and attractive young talent (DSJ, Knox and Robinson).

I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks ended up with KD, AD and Kyrie or some combo thereof.
2696220, Because we *do* have a line. "A" line or "best" line is a different discussion.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed May-15-19 12:20 AM
Whether the Lakers line trumps what NY has to offer is another story, but we absolutely have a strong package to offer.

NY is in perhaps the best overall position in the L to make a quantum leap overnight.

But we now have a great position of our own, and the real kicker is the assets that can be packaged with the pick, and a deal for AD would also be about how highly Griffin values those other assets.

We absolutely do have a line though.
2696246, I guess Griffin could have soft spot in his heart for LeBron
Posted by auragin_boi, Wed May-15-19 08:25 AM
but I'm sure Benson isn't clamoring to assist with another Lakers ring.

Having to play LeBron and AD 3-4 times a season while they run roughshod through the league would probably suck. At least with a trade to NY, there's no guarantee the knicks will be able to add KD or Kyrie this off-season and they don't have as much of a track record for title building.

And you only have to see that team twice a yr. If I'm Griffin/NO, I'm looking for the best package but if there's an added advantage of sending him east, I'm going with that one.
2696223, That is not a better package than the Lakers have, imo.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed May-15-19 12:28 AM
>When the Knicks have a higher pick, the potential to allow NO
>to add RJ Barrett to Zion with that pick (which will ease
>Zion's disappointment with being in NO) and attractive young
>talent (DSJ, Knox and Robinson).

Maybe the RJ friendship makes a difference and Zion can help move the needle... but that Knick trio averages 35 points, 14 rebounds, and 7 assists per game, whereas the Ingram/Kuz/Ball trio averages 47 points, 16 rebounds, and 11 assists per game. The Laker trio is only a year and a half older on average too, still super young. I like Knox, but DSJ couldn't beat a second rounder for a starting spot on a bad team, and Mitchell Robinson may end up as no more than a 20 MPG try hard goon. I don't even think that Laker trio is some world-beating trio... but I'm not convinced Barrett is *that* much better than Culver to make that Knick group of four obviously better than the Laker group of four.
2696226, The Lakers Getting the 4th Pick Really Makes the Knicks Sweat
Posted by RexLongfellow, Wed May-15-19 02:36 AM
In the AD trade talks
The 3rd pick and some chips makes the Knicks have a very good package (not sure they'll give up Mitchell Robinson, all signs say they'll keep him)

However, the Lakers have better players to give up. On top of that, the 4th pick guarantees Zion plays with at least one of his boys (either RJ or Reddish). The only downfall is that NO hates Pelinka, so they might not want to do business with him under any circumstances (Buss needs to cut bait with him before the draft, ASAP)

I'm a Knick fan, but this entire scenario is like uggh. Was hoping for a big 3 with KD, Kyrie and AD, but it's looking like 2 of those might not even happen (KD might not leave GS, or at least GS will put up a fight to keep him)
2696242, There's also the "Lakers" stigma
Posted by auragin_boi, Wed May-15-19 08:13 AM
Trading AD to a west team vs an east team
Trading AD to a team that hasn't won since the early 70's vs trading to a team that wins a title once a decade it seems
Not wanting to trade to a team with LeBron on it as his agency was the one representing Davis and was seen as pushing for it.

DSJ vs Lonzo is kinda a wash
Ingram vs Knox is advantage lakers
Kuz vs Robinson is advantage lakers
RJ Barrett vs whomever at #4 is advantage NY

I don't see the potential of the Lakers group as some extensive advantage given all of the above.
2696269, Maybe not *extensive*... but it's notable imo.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed May-15-19 11:07 AM
>Trading AD to a west team vs an east team
>Trading AD to a team that hasn't won since the early 70's vs
>trading to a team that wins a title once a decade it seems
>Not wanting to trade to a team with LeBron on it as his agency
>was the one representing Davis and was seen as pushing for
>it.

I think the Pels need to buckle down in the reality that, unless they can convince AD to publicly announce he's staying and grab a high-profile FA who wants to play with AD and Zion, then they aren't contending for a title or a WCF run *anytime* soon, so the East vs. West notion shouldn't be an overwhelming concern imo.

If anything, the last point you made may cause both Bron and AD to pressure the GMs to get it done ASAP. I'm sure Bron doesn't want a miracle to happen and for AD and Zion to play well together, and AD doesn't want to waste another year of his career on that longshot. The Lakers are probably more likely to make the desperation trade, because they know they can actually refill the slots with free agents more easily than the Knicks likely can.

Maybe the Knicks can offer more future firsts (as is often their prerogative). Those would likely have more value with AD on the team than the Lakers' future firsts would with AD on the team, and we all know the Knicks are happy to wildly overpay from time to time. Maybe the Knicks will offer Knox, Smith, Robinson, Vonleh, Trier, the #3, and their next two first round picks. I'm still not convinced anything beyond the #3 pick can match the ceiling of Ingram and Kuz, but perhaps the sheer volume of youth would raise the Pels' eyebrows.

I just think, end of the day, the Pels will leap for whichever package has the highest perceived ceiling. The Knicks can't really offer anything beyond the #3 that has that... and as I said above, Culver's *ceiling* isn't terribly far behind Barrett's. There's def a scenario where Culver is the better NBA player (though it's not the scenario I would bet on, personally).

I also think, despite all the drama, the Celtics should say, "Look, here's Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, and three first rounders this year." Pels can draft some more guard/wing talent-- guys like Keldon Johnson, Tyler Herro, Louis King should all be in that ballpark-- and maybe a big to play alongside Zion, someone like Daniel Gafford or, if they wanna go small ball (my personal choice) Brandon Clarke to play when Zion or Randle is resting. They roll into next year starting Jrue, Tatum, Brown, Randle, and Zion, with guys like Herro, King, and Clarke off the bench, and they play all fast, hustle-hard small ball-- it'd be ELECTRIC. Meanwhile, Celtics can sign AD and extend Kyrie on the same day, and that would be enough to recruit another big name FA-- it'd take some drama management on their part, but if they pulled it off, it'd be huge.
2696301, Why do people think NBA owners like seeing the Lakers win?
Posted by auragin_boi, Wed May-15-19 01:33 PM
>I think the Pels need to buckle down in the reality that,
>unless they can convince AD to publicly announce he's staying
>and grab a high-profile FA who wants to play with AD and Zion,
>then they aren't contending for a title or a WCF run *anytime*
>soon, so the East vs. West notion shouldn't be an overwhelming
>concern imo.

Even if it isn't East vs West, it's Lakers vs another team. I wouldn't want to be at the owners meeting after trading Davis to LA to play with Bron. As I stated as well, Davis gets less opportunities to come back and drop 45/19/8/6 on your young squad.

Trading in-conference (especially when there's comparable deals out of conference) is usually not preferred.

>If anything, the last point you made may cause both Bron and
>AD to pressure the GMs to get it done ASAP. I'm sure Bron
>doesn't want a miracle to happen and for AD and Zion to play
>well together, and AD doesn't want to waste another year of
>his career on that longshot. The Lakers are probably more
>likely to make the desperation trade, because they know they
>can actually refill the slots with free agents more easily
>than the Knicks likely can.

Knicks have like 72 mil in cap space. All they have to do is NOT f*ck this up in the summer and they should be contenders next season. If they manage to get AD, I think it HUGELY increases the chances the Kyrie comes (even if KD doesn't).

>Maybe the Knicks can offer more future firsts (as is often
>their prerogative). Those would likely have more value with AD
>on the team than the Lakers' future firsts would with AD on
>the team, and we all know the Knicks are happy to wildly
>overpay from time to time. Maybe the Knicks will offer Knox,
>Smith, Robinson, Vonleh, Trier, the #3, and their next two
>first round picks. I'm still not convinced anything beyond the
>#3 pick can match the ceiling of Ingram and Kuz, but perhaps
>the sheer volume of youth would raise the Pels' eyebrows.

Yeah but the Pels keep more flexibility to evaluate the roster with the Knicks package. Kuz, Ingram and Ball will be up for cash, REAL soon. I also don't think the rest of the league values Ingram and Kuz the way you do.

>I just think, end of the day, the Pels will leap for whichever
>package has the highest perceived ceiling. The Knicks can't
>really offer anything beyond the #3 that has that... and as I
>said above, Culver's *ceiling* isn't terribly far behind
>Barrett's. There's def a scenario where Culver is the better
>NBA player (though it's not the scenario I would bet on,
>personally).

This is about Zion. Knicks give them the best chance to get roster flexibility without long term commitment, add a player (Barrett) that will help make Zion's transition into the NBA smoother and young talent that shows promise.

>I also think, despite all the drama, the Celtics should say,
>"Look, here's Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, and
>three first rounders this year." Pels can draft some more
>guard/wing talent-- guys like Keldon Johnson, Tyler Herro,
>Louis King should all be in that ballpark-- and maybe a big to
>play alongside Zion, someone like Daniel Gafford or, if they
>wanna go small ball (my personal choice) Brandon Clarke to
>play when Zion or Randle is resting. They roll into next year
>starting Jrue, Tatum, Brown, Randle, and Zion, with guys like
>Herro, King, and Clarke off the bench, and they play all fast,
>hustle-hard small ball-- it'd be ELECTRIC. Meanwhile, Celtics
>can sign AD and extend Kyrie on the same day, and that would
>be enough to recruit another big name FA-- it'd take some
>drama management on their part, but if they pulled it off,
>it'd be huge.

I'd be highly surprised if Kyrie stayed in Boston. Highly. But in the event he does stay, your trade scenario is probably deal 1a to NY's 1b and LA's 2a.
2696307, ... but it's the Knicks tho, lol.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed May-15-19 02:11 PM

>Knicks have like 72 mil in cap space. All they have to do is
>NOT f*ck this up in the summer and they should be contenders
>next season.

They will absolutely find a way to fuck up, because Dolan. Maybe in their best case scenario, they get one good season in before something-- talent, chemistry, shitty trades, whatever-- fucks them up once more.

>Yeah but the Pels keep more flexibility to evaluate the roster
>with the Knicks package. Kuz, Ingram and Ball will be up for
>cash, REAL soon. I also don't think the rest of the league
>values Ingram and Kuz the way you do.

Eh. Ingram's got a year, then a qualifying offer season, then RFA. Kuz, Ball, and DSJ all have a year, then a club option, then a qualifying offer, then RFA. Knox has a year, then two club options, then qualifying, then RFA. Robinson doesn't have any guaranteed money after next year IIIRC. So if the Pels don't like literally any of these guys, they can try to re-ship them or tell them to fuck off.

And if they do like these guys... well, they're New Orleans. You're one of the smallest markets, you aren't getting better options. Pay dat myan hees myoney. (c) Malkovich in Rounders. Especially considering that Randle is probably likely to opt out given that he and Zion likely play the same position (unless they ran small ball with Zion at the 5, which would fucking RULE but I doubt we get to see, lol). I'm not convinced they'd attract a free agent wing as good as Ingram.

Of course, this is all beating around the bush with the fact that *neither* of those packages are probably the best fit for Zion, given that Zion would thrive best on a team with exceptional three point shooting, so if Knox and Ingram are the best three-point shooters in a three-player package you can offer, that's... ungood, lol. That'd lead us back to the Celtics and/or other teams. But that's a whole different convo, obviously.
2696323, Lol...fair enough. I have a friend who's a Knicks fan
Posted by auragin_boi, Wed May-15-19 04:04 PM
and I'm more optimistic about their summer than he is.

>They will absolutely find a way to fuck up, because Dolan.
>Maybe in their best case scenario, they get one good season in
>before something-- talent, chemistry, shitty trades,
>whatever-- fucks them up once more.

I suppose it's about strategy for Griffin then. Hell, all 3 might whiff on a Davis trade and he end up somewhere else. I just don't know how the C's pull it off without Kyrie locking in.

>Eh. Ingram's got a year, then a qualifying offer season, then
>RFA. Kuz, Ball, and DSJ all have a year, then a club option,
>then a qualifying offer, then RFA. Knox has a year, then two
>club options, then qualifying, then RFA. Robinson doesn't have
>any guaranteed money after next year IIIRC. So if the Pels
>don't like literally any of these guys, they can try to
>re-ship them or tell them to fuck off.
>
>And if they do like these guys... well, they're New Orleans.
>You're one of the smallest markets, you aren't getting better
>options. Pay dat myan hees myoney. (c) Malkovich in Rounders.
>Especially considering that Randle is probably likely to opt
>out given that he and Zion likely play the same position
>(unless they ran small ball with Zion at the 5, which would
>fucking RULE but I doubt we get to see, lol). I'm not
>convinced they'd attract a free agent wing as good as Ingram.
>
>
>Of course, this is all beating around the bush with the fact
>that *neither* of those packages are probably the best fit for
>Zion, given that Zion would thrive best on a team with
>exceptional three point shooting, so if Knox and Ingram are
>the best three-point shooters in a three-player package you
>can offer, that's... ungood, lol. That'd lead us back to the
>Celtics and/or other teams. But that's a whole different
>convo, obviously.
2696326, They need to get Kyrie and AD in the same room.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed May-15-19 04:08 PM
And just say, "Okay, we're not leaving until you're both signed to extended deals. We're trading anyone it takes. Max deals, max whatevers. We'll give you and your families free Dunkin Donuts for life. Make this happen."
2696274, Many ain’t nobody trying to pay them Lakers young players...
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Wed May-15-19 11:22 AM
their rookie deals are ending soon and nobody knows if they’re good.

I’d take the Knicks offer and be happy.
2696276, RE: Many ain’t nobody trying to pay them Lakers young players...
Posted by Numba_33, Wed May-15-19 11:35 AM
>their rookie deals are ending soon and nobody knows if
>they’re good.
>
>I’d take the Knicks offer and be happy.

That's assuming of course the Knicks actually land top level talent via free agency to convince AD to resign beyond 2020. It would be silly to trade for him if this next upcoming season will only serve as a short term rental period.
2696278, I don’t think the teammates matter with AD. Seems like market.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Wed May-15-19 11:50 AM
2696283, Those are all cynical fan reasons not to trade him to the Lakers
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed May-15-19 12:05 PM
I don't see any of that as factors a responsible GM, particularly one like David Griffin, would consider in this situation.
2696298, GM answers to the owner tho
Posted by auragin_boi, Wed May-15-19 01:16 PM
I wouldn't want to be in the business of helping the Lakers win titles at my expense if I were an owner. The 'where' the trade takes place matters also, not just the package.

I'd rather send him to NY and let them sort it out than to LA and watch him win a ring next summer.

He wants to go to the Lakers after that, feel free to bank your title hopes on a 36yr old LeBron who's forgotten how to play D.
2696311, "You"- i.e, the "I" here- aren't the owner or the GM.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed May-15-19 02:54 PM
Which is what's making this evaluation problematic.

We've had plenty of discussions about what I would do with the Lakers and Brawn, but I always distinguish what I would do from what is likely, possible, or realistic.

And I think the realistic thing here is that Griff worries .more about what puts NO in the better position going forward. while acquiescing to AD's preferences to the degree that they facilitate that goal.

That's it.

If the owner is more concerned about whether or not a given move helps the Lakers to another chip than she is about whether or not it's the best available option to position her team going forward, she's a bad owner.
2696325, I think both "not the lakers" and "good/best trade" can coexist
Posted by auragin_boi, Wed May-15-19 04:07 PM
I personally don't think LA has the inside track. Especially given how it all went down near the trade deadline.

But we'll see what Griffin does.
2696510, Pelicans Owner is Cynical...lol
Posted by auragin_boi, Fri May-17-19 01:25 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-pelicans-owner-gayle-benson-153115371.html

To my point in the discussion we had yesterday: Rich (wo)men are petty

Report: Pelicans owner Gayle Benson would trade Anthony Davis to Lakers only ‘over my dead body’

The Pelicans reportedly completely opposed trading Anthony Davis to the Lakers, his preferred destination.

But that was before New Orleans hired David Griffin to run the front office.

It wasn’t totally clear who within the Pelicans was against even considering a Lakers offer and whether that person/those people still hold power. Former New Orleans general manager Dell Demps appeared to have a strained relationship with Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka. Mickey Loomis, an executive who oversaw both the Pelicans and Saints, came up in football. With a background in a sport where players have far less power, he might have dug in his heels about Davis getting his way.

But Pelicans owner Gayle Benson fired Demps and said the new lead executive would report directly to her, not to Loomis.

So, will anyone left in New Orleans stop a trade of Davis to the Lakers?

Jackie MacMullan of ESPN:

We have been told, I think, through channels – most of us have heard this same scuttlebutt – that Gayle Benson has basically told him, “To the Lakers, over my dead body.”

If this is how Benson feels, she’s making a mistake. If trading Davis, the Pelicans should take the best offer they can get – no matter which team makes it.

That might be the Lakers, who can send some combination of Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart and the No. 4 pick. Other teams – looking at you, Celtics – have better assets. But it’s unclear which of those assets will be on the table.

If the Lakers make what he deems to be the best offer, Griffin has the responsibility of convincing Benson to approve it. It’s tough to predict his likelihood of success, considering we don’t know precisely why she’s so against trading Davis to Los Angeles.

Does she just not want Davis to get his way? Does she resent how Davis and his agent Rich Paul, who also represents Lakers superstar LeBron James, handled this situation? Does she envy the Lakers’ big market and all the advantages that affords them (like becoming Davis’ preferred destination)? Something else entirely?

Before trying to convince Benson, Griffin is still trying – and so far failing – to convince Davis to stay. Only if that fails will he then work on Benson.

And of course only if the Lakers make the best offer.
2696254, Perhaps you know something I don't
Posted by Numba_33, Wed May-15-19 09:35 AM
>I like Knox, but DSJ couldn't beat a second
>rounder for a starting spot on a bad team, and Mitchell
>Robinson may end up as no more than a 20 MPG try hard goon.

The dude is severely limited on the offensive end and fouls a bit too much when he's beaten on plays, but what makes you think he's a try hard goon?
2696270, I mean... you kinda defined it right there, haha.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed May-15-19 11:08 AM

>The dude is severely limited on the offensive end and fouls a
>bit too much when he's beaten on plays, but what makes you
>think he's a try hard goon?

He has no offensive skill and he fouls a lot. He's a physical player, ideal size, and I like his motor for the most part. I just haven't seen much evidence that he'll extend beyond rebounds, putbacks, and physical (read: foul-prone) defense.
2696241, Yeah that #4 ain't worth much imo.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Wed May-15-19 08:09 AM
And it's already been proven that nobody cares about their "young talent".
2696261, its ALL speculation but AD is signed to Klutch Sports and bought a house...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed May-15-19 10:30 AM
in LA last summer and can very easily wait the season out with whomever then sign with the Lakers as a free agent if that's where he really wants to be.
2696284, The "has a house in LA" thing is of absolutely zero consequence
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed May-15-19 12:15 PM
That's been used as a basis for speculation for several players coming here.

These guys are filthy rich, LA is dope, and a lot of them have houses here.
2696285, Absolutely, zero!
Posted by Creole, Wed May-15-19 12:30 PM
RE: The "has a house in LA" thing is of absolutely zero consequence
>That's been used as a basis for speculation for several
>players coming here.
>
>These guys are filthy rich, LA is dope, and a lot of them have
>houses here.

These same dudes that have houses in LA also have means to private transportation (planes) that can get them to and from said house with no issue.
2696288, I feel like KG and someone else (T-Mac, maybe) were always
Posted by Marauder21, Wed May-15-19 12:46 PM
"on the verge of" going to the Lakers because they had homes in Los Angeles. Neither one of them ever played for a team west of the Rockies.
2696302, Lebron bought a house in LA and guess what? KG wanted to be a Laker...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed May-15-19 01:38 PM
but Celtic buddies McHale and Ainge conspired against that.

Dwight bought a house in LA and guess where he ended up playing?

I'm definitely not saying the house thing is the end all be all but the bigger thing is his agent is Rich Paul and AD has already communicated through him that LA is his destination of choice.
2696225, It really sucks that Memphis didn't win. JJJ and Zion is an interesting pair
Posted by Rjcc, Wed May-15-19 01:48 AM

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
2696228, rj barrett looked mad salty answering questions about zion lol.
Posted by Reeq, Wed May-15-19 04:50 AM
'so what do you think zion will bring to the franchise that is lucky enough to draft this once-in-a-generation talent?'

treating dude like a family member there to support zion instead of the #3 pick in his own right.
2696238, rightly so
Posted by bshelly, Wed May-15-19 07:20 AM
it was embarrassing how zion centric the coverage was last night. if that's how espn wanted to play it, they should've warned the other guys.
2696240, They should've known. That shit was silly though.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Wed May-15-19 08:07 AM
2696244, fam the level of knobslobbery was so over the top.
Posted by Reeq, Wed May-15-19 08:13 AM
part of me thinks zion might be a bust now (and i never even considered it before) because i cant see a pre-coronation like this not backfiring.

i remember when espn was telling us greg oden was the second coming of bill russell.
2696253, It makes complete sense
Posted by Numba_33, Wed May-15-19 09:21 AM
given the ratings CBS, Turner, and ESPN got from college coverage from the kid. I didn't see them badger Barrett though; if that occurred, that's a total shame.

I do wonder how many games New Orleans will get on national TV now given that he's going to land there. Should be interesting if Anthony Davis still wants to leave the team and selectively plays spotty minutes like he did in the second half of the season given that I'm sure the Pelicans are bound to get a ton of eyes on them strictly based on the Zion fascination.
2696314, Zion gets them 3 national TV games at least.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Wed May-15-19 03:07 PM
1 opening weekend.
1 Christmas for sure.
2696256, Yup, they had both of them sitting at the desk and they ignored RJ
Posted by pretentious username, Wed May-15-19 10:03 AM
I would've been pissed. Really it's weird to even have the potential lottery picks there.
2696257, RE: Yup, they had both of them sitting at the desk and they ignored RJ
Posted by Numba_33, Wed May-15-19 10:09 AM
>I would've been pissed. Really it's weird to even have the
>potential lottery picks there.

Was Ja Morant there? I was in a Zion Williamson haze and wasn't thinking too clearly before and after the draft order reveal, but I don't recall seeing him there.
2696280, The camera barely left Zion. I couldn't tell you.
Posted by pretentious username, Wed May-15-19 11:56 AM

>Was Ja Morant there? I was in a Zion Williamson haze and
>wasn't thinking too clearly before and after the draft order
>reveal, but I don't recall seeing him there.
2696258, I agree, you don't need the players there
Posted by Marauder21, Wed May-15-19 10:19 AM
WTF are any of them even supposed to say?
2696281, Exactly. Zion hasn't even been picked by NOLA yet!
Posted by pretentious username, Wed May-15-19 11:58 AM
>WTF are any of them even supposed to say?

Yeah, we all know he likely will be, but he's still gotta give a "Whatever team picks me, I'm excited" answer.

Everyone else is just invited there to watch the Zion show? Jesus, that was strange.
2696272, They even asked Zion if you were a GM would you pick RJ or Ja.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Wed May-15-19 11:15 AM
RJ should’ve been like, “Nigga, I’m right here.”
2696282, Glad he balked at that question.
Posted by pretentious username, Wed May-15-19 11:59 AM
>RJ should’ve been like, “Nigga, I’m right here.”
2696346, i think they knew whose name was on the marquee
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed May-15-19 08:14 PM
2696386, have they ever had players in the draft at the lottery before?
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu May-16-19 09:47 AM
2696393, I don’t recall.
Posted by Beezo, Thu May-16-19 10:16 AM
2696237, Kuzma's face: https://streamable.com/9t54d
Posted by Amritsar, Wed May-15-19 07:06 AM
lollll I feel bad for these kids

2696245, My predictions
Posted by Anonymous, Wed May-15-19 08:20 AM
Knicks will take Cam and end up with KD, Kyrie and Cam

Lakers will package a deal (Lonzo , Kuz, 4th pick and future picks) and end up with Lebron and AD

Pelicans will build around Zion and RJ (4th pick from the Lakers)

Between Kawhi, Kemba and Butler, 1 will end up with the Lakers and 2 will end up with the Clippers.

Warriors will run it back to Steph, Klay and Draymond

And this will all be good for the NBA
2696247, RE: My predictions
Posted by auragin_boi, Wed May-15-19 08:36 AM
>Knicks will get the trade for AD and end up with KD and/or Kyrie

>Lakers will package a deal (Lonzo , Kuz, 4th pick and future
>picks) and end up with Lebron and someone (maybe Beal and something else and it won't cost them as much so the future picks might be off the table. Might also be able to get Kemba as a FA or Mike Conley from Memphis for a cap relieving deal and an asset...future pick, maybe Hart)

Lineup:
Kemba or Conley
Beal
BI
Bron
McGee/maybe Thomas Bryant (included in Beal deal)

>Pelicans will build around Zion and RJ (3rd pick from the
>knicks)

Lineup:
Jrue
Barrett
Knox
Zion
Robinson

>Between Kawhi, Kemba and Butler, 1 will end up with the Lakers
>and 2 will end up with the Clippers.

If the Lakers don't get Kemba, Clippers would work. Not sure Jimmy leaves. I think Tobias might bounce before Jimmy. If Philly cuts the check, Jimmy staying. He likes Embiid (he didn't like KAT/Wiggins).

>Warriors will run it back to Steph, Klay and Draymond
I think KD 'might' stay but if he doesn't, then yup, they run it back.

>And this will all be good for the NBA
I agree...even with your predictions or mine
2696265, How do the Lakers make a deal for AD as currently constructed?
Posted by Lach, Wed May-15-19 10:56 AM
I mean if all those expiring contracts are now gone and there are only like 5 or 6 kids on small rookie deals going into 2019/2020, how do the Lakers feasibly make a deal with that 4th pick to get AD? It would seem the only way would be for a 3 team deal if anything happens this summer for them.
2696290, Yeah, I dunno either.
Posted by Ryan M, Wed May-15-19 12:51 PM
As of right now (and I don't know how draft picks factor in, money wise - if at all) - you can't even trade AD for Ingram/Kuzma/Ball/Hart/Bonga/Caruso. You'd still have to add another 1.5 mil or so.
2696267, Pelicans getting #1? cool
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed May-15-19 11:00 AM
AD insurance.

Memphis at #2? Ehhh....

Knicks at #3? Still getting someone good.

Lakers at 4?! BULLLLLLLLLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2696289, BTW, the Lottery is still dumb and needs to be abolished
Posted by mrhood75, Wed May-15-19 12:50 PM
Knicks, Suns, and Bulls were all legit awful teams this season, tanking or not, and deserved to get the #1, 2, 3 draft picks this year (in that order). That the Suns and Bulls probably lost their chance to get a top three talent in the draft (barring a trade, I guess) is lame. Denying all three of these teams their best chance to get better faster because the NBA wants ratings and needs to keep people talking about the bottom third of the league between late April and late June is pretty stupid.
2696304, Yeah, and it does nothing to dissuade tanking, either
Posted by Marauder21, Wed May-15-19 01:41 PM
2696305, I'm intrigued by the idea of success-based revenue-sharing.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed May-15-19 01:50 PM
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/9/21/16338174/nba-draft-lottery-tanking-revenue-sharing-adam-silver-lakers-knicks

If they want to stop tanking-- and Silver is obviously hardcore dedicated to it, because so many teams are content to egregiously suck annually until they hit some talent jackpot-- the current system won't help, removing the lotto won't help, none of it will. Because a bad record gives you a better shot at the transcendent star, no matter the system.

So they need to find a way to get creative with it. Obviously the proposed system above would be voted down by the Sarvers and the Dolans of the world, shitty owners who won't find sustained success without absurdly dumb luck. But it's at least an idea moving in the right direction. Then, the worst teams getting the highest draft picks will have more incentive to try to build immediately rather than tank an additional 2-3 years to try to build the sort of roster that would actually compete.
2696310, I feel like if you're in the lottery more than 3 years in a row you're...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed May-15-19 02:54 PM
doing something wrong and don't "deserve" shit.
2696322, There's not nearly enough parity in the league to ensure
Posted by Marauder21, Wed May-15-19 04:03 PM
that nobody misses the playoffs three years in a row.

I do support stripping the Lakers of all future draft picks, though, so IDK.
2696328, RE: There's not nearly enough parity in the league to ensure
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed May-15-19 04:39 PM
>that nobody misses the playoffs three years in a row.
>
>I do support stripping the Lakers of all future draft picks,
>though, so IDK.

2 of the bottom 4 teams in the eastern conference last year made the playoffs this year.
2696345, Personally I like it but this new setup doesn't diminish tanking
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed May-15-19 08:13 PM
Much like the college football playoff changed the debate from "who's the best" between 3-4 teams to "who's the first, second, third and fourth best?" this involving many more teams, this doesn't accomplish its purpose either. Whereas before it might be tough to reach the verrrrrrry bottom for most teams, several teams can seek a bottom three spot and thus the top odds at the top pick.

but i don't like the idea of abolishing the lotto altogether, i like the idea that a team that's maybe one player away can get that player rather than a team that has *nothing* having nothing+1 every time.

you know what the most interesting lotto was? the 2005 NHL lockout. every team was in the lottery and they did it with a system where you got three balls, two balls or one ball. one of the worst teams did get the top pick, but the others were pretty dispersed throughout the draft. i wouldn't say that should be done every year but i wouldn't mind giving some playoff teams a shot at better talent in the draft. it's not a welfare service where you get rewarded for sucking, and i know that sounds strange coming from someone who supported the process.
2696320, Will Zion play in New Orleans?
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed May-15-19 03:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUbnZ4WTug8
2696334, *clicks link* Colin Cow..... *clicks X*
Posted by Ryan M, Wed May-15-19 06:02 PM
2696339, Windhorst is peddling it too. But it's all speculation
Posted by mrhood75, Wed May-15-19 07:01 PM
Saying the he hasn't signed with an agent and signed an endorsement deal yet, so he ***could*** go back to Duke. If he wants to. But he hasn't actually talked to anyone about it yet.
2696341, Windy Dogg! HAHAHAHA. An actually perfect click bait.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed May-15-19 07:07 PM
Combines Zion and the NBA Draft and Duke and someone making fun of Brian Windhorst on national TV. Just an exceptional job by the ESPN crew.
2696387, Zion didn't seem exactly thrilled about NO whether AD is there or not.
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu May-16-19 09:50 AM
2696388, I did the same
Posted by Numba_33, Thu May-16-19 09:54 AM
when I clicked on the link yesterday.

I didn't watch either the Cowhwerd or Windhorst videos to completion, but it was mentioned that if he actually tried to reverse course, that he would kill any chance of him becoming number one in future drafts, right?
2696418, Zion isn't going to New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago
Posted by DeepAztheRoot, Thu May-16-19 01:32 PM
He's playing in the Crescent. National media can cry about it all they want. Those two plus Jason Smith making the same dumb narrative Twitters posts about it are wasting their time.
2696389, Could be smoke, but Memphis is telling people it's Ja
Posted by Marauder21, Thu May-16-19 10:00 AM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26757427/grizz-make-known-pick-morant

CHICAGO -- The Memphis Grizzlies have told interested parties in Chicago, where the NBA draft combine is underway, that they intend to select Murray State guard Ja Morant with the No. 2 pick next month, provided the New Orleans Pelicans take Duke's Zion Williamson first overall, sources told ESPN.

The Grizzlies were awarded the second pick in Tuesday's draft lottery, moving up from the eighth slot thanks to the luck of the bouncing pingpong balls.

Sources said members of the Grizzlies front office and ownership group already have let their intentions be known.

Morant is expected to usher in a new era at point guard for the Grizzlies, who selected Mike Conley with the No. 4 pick in 2007 and saw him develop into a borderline All-Star. Conley has two years remaining on his five-year, $140 million contract, but he won't be difficult to move for positive value, considering his productivity (21 points and six assists per game) and the fact that he is still only 31 years old.

Playing Conley and Morant together in a smaller backcourt until a suitable deal is found is a possibility the Grizzlies might explore to help ease the rookie's transition to the NBA.

Should the Grizzlies proceed with drafting Morant as expected, the road will be cleared for Duke's RJ Barrett -- the presumptive No. 1 pick in the draft entering the season -- to land in New York with the Knicks, who pick third. Sources said that Barrett would be ecstatic to end up in New York but that the franchise will do its due diligence in exploring trade options, as well as work out other players projected to be selected in the top 10.
2696390, it's really a no-brainer
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu May-16-19 10:06 AM
2696391, Do they think New Orleans would prefer Morant in a trade?
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu May-16-19 10:13 AM
Because then you float out there to the Knicks, "Hey, give us a reason to swap picks with you."

But I would think New Orleans would prefer Barrett, because of both Zion's friendship with him and Holiday's contract through the next few years. So I would've floated the idea of taking Barrett to try to squeeze the Knicks, who will inevitably be trying to trade for AD.

Then again, maybe the Grizz just don't wanna be bothered. Wouldn't blame them for that either.
2696419, I think it's Ja as well because they want to dump Conley
Posted by DeepAztheRoot, Thu May-16-19 01:33 PM
2696409, Funny now Zion's people are saying he's "excited" about going to NO, lol
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu May-16-19 11:36 AM
2696426, Yes, it's funny that *his* people and *not* pundits
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu May-16-19 06:01 PM
are commenting on his thoughts on playing in NO after two days of reflection.

Oh. Em. Gee.

Can you believe it?
2696427, seriously, this "rumor" popped up because people are bored
Posted by pretentious username, Thu May-16-19 06:35 PM
and need something to discuss in between now and the draft. I see no reason Zion or his people need to shoot this down, but here we are.
2696434, We all saw his reactions on Tuesday
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu May-16-19 09:33 PM
2696437, .....and today is Thursday.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu May-16-19 10:25 PM
His Tuesday reaction was "not exactly super duper excited", not "MAN FUCK THIS FUCKING PLACE I AINT PLAYING IN NEW ORLEANS TRADE ME".
2696438, He also can't have a real reaction yet
Posted by pretentious username, Thu May-16-19 10:30 PM
ya know, cause he hasn't even been drafted.
2696450, Agreed, but in fairness.... he knows what the rest of us knows
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu May-16-19 11:22 PM
Which is that this is a formality
2696474, Great point; why was he even there?
Posted by B9, Fri May-17-19 09:45 AM
I'm sure the media asked for him to be in attendance, but his agents shouldn't have agreed to that nonsense.
2696636, Exactly...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun May-19-19 12:07 PM
>I'm sure the media asked for him to be in attendance, but his
>agents shouldn't have agreed to that nonsense.
2696428, I'd push for a NY or LA trade, effit
Posted by isaaaa, Thu May-16-19 06:39 PM

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com
2696631, Puts a slightly larger hole in the Wizards plans for sure.
Posted by B.J.S.301, Sun May-19-19 10:23 AM
They didn't really tank in the beginning but when you don't have talent and you end up near the bottom, it kinda sucks.

I can't necessarily say I like this new lottery. If you genuinely don't have the talent, and can't really draw in free agents, then your franchise may really suck for a long time. Not enough parity in the league for this to be a good method. If the NBA wants to fix tanking some, contract some of these small market teams. Not enough talent for all teams to go around. Less teams will mean stronger talent which will give greater competition.

I know folks hated The Process, but honestly, it definitely is the best way for teams to work out of mediocrity if they are serious about it. Players are only gonna go to teams that are already stacked now. Might as well try to tank to get that generational player.

One thing I will say, these odds put way more pressure on front offices to get their picks right the first time. Also maybe with these odds, teams won't be so loose with giving away draft picks. You definitely will need as many as you can get to hit a few successes.
2696648, The Wizards problem is John Wall’s contract, probably the worst...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun May-19-19 02:27 PM
contract in the league right now
2696653, That is one of the Wizards issues.
Posted by B.J.S.301, Sun May-19-19 03:33 PM
Wiz also have very limited draft picks right today. John's contract is bad, but not having enough assets to do even a slight rebuild, makes his contract look even worse.