Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectand these arent 5* players
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2695962&mesg_id=2696297
2696297, and these arent 5* players
Posted by cgonz00cc, Wed May-15-19 01:14 PM
when you recruit a top 15 player youre already planning for that

when Burke, Hardaway, Stauskas, DJ Wilson, Wagner, Poole, and Brazdeikis are all leaving after 2 years or less...theres not a contingency plan.

Trey Burke was a nobody, Hardaway was a name, Wilson was a nobody, Mo was a nobody, Poole was a nobody...no one saw any of that coming and its not the most gratifying measure of success for a coach.

I read something the other day that struck me. He actually has a better opportunity to grow a team over time in the NBA than he does in college. If thats what he wants, then thats what he wants. He won more with his players than any other coach in America could have, and that's a fuckin fact. He was also THE most ethical participant in a scummy endeavor, and thats also a fuckin fact. Without the bag he was never gonna get the players that schools WITH the bag reel in constantly. When the players he does get dont even stay long enough to reach the team potential...I get it. Im selfishly bummed, and Im mildly annoyed at his destination, but talking about him "crying" when hes the only one doing it ethically at that level...is wack.

Especially when UK is closing in on 5 years of consecutive top 3 classes and ZERO Final 4s over that time. Underachieving AND dirty is not solid ground to stand on and talk about other coaches and what they think of the game.