Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectWill we ever see another NBA player pass up a max deal for 1+1 deal?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2695486
2695486, Will we ever see another NBA player pass up a max deal for 1+1 deal?
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu May-09-19 06:20 AM
Lebron did it for a few years in Cleveland some say holding that franchise hostage. KD has done it the last few years in GS but is expected to finally cash in big this summer with a max deal especially after last night's scare.

I think Kawhi will definitely sign a max deal where ever he goes. I can't see any other of the current stars willingly taking that risk.
2695488, Did KD almost have a career ending injury?
Posted by Cenario, Thu May-09-19 06:40 AM
2695499, no but initially people thought it was an achilles and I'm sure it scared...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu May-09-19 08:51 AM
the shit out of him
2695534, So bc 'people' thought it was an achillies, KD was worried
Posted by Cenario, Thu May-09-19 01:26 PM
Bc he doesnt have a long term deal?

Lets pretend that logic makes sense. Thats the exact reason why you sign a 1+1 deal. He could opt in, recover while on making 30mil, and still get offered a max when he comes back.
2695535, he's 30 years old...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu May-09-19 01:38 PM
he's never been the physical specimen that Bron is and KD has had battled with minor nagging injuries the past few years. At this point it makes sense for him to quit playing around and secure the bag and re-up for 5 years/$200mil. Seeing what happened with Boogie first hand probably helped that decision.

2695553, he's got so much bread though, i think he will make a basketball decision
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu May-09-19 04:05 PM
or a personal one, but not a financial one. if i were him i'd stay. take the money and stay on the best team. but he's got his own goals and stuff, which seem kind of mysterious, so i could easily see him signing elsewhere. i do think he'll take the four-year max but that's what almost any player would do. the only exception i think is if he decides to go the lakers, which is a remote possibility at best anyway. there i could see him doing a 1+1 because there's a lot of instability there and bron is old. set up that eject button. but that's probably moot anyway because moving into lebron's shadow is probably the last thing he wants to do.
2695586, he makes the most money and the best basketball decision by staying put...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-10-19 08:47 AM
>or a personal one, but not a financial one. if i were him i'd
>stay. take the money and stay on the best team. but he's got
>his own goals and stuff, which seem kind of mysterious, so i
>could easily see him signing elsewhere. i do think he'll take
>the four-year max but that's what almost any player would do.
>the only exception i think is if he decides to go the lakers,
>which is a remote possibility at best anyway. there i could
>see him doing a 1+1 because there's a lot of instability there
>and bron is old. set up that eject button. but that's probably
>moot anyway because moving into lebron's shadow is probably
>the last thing he wants to do.

If he leaves honestly I could see him in LA before NY. Him and Kyrie on the Knicks would be older version of him and Russ with 10 times the media attention and I don't think he wants that.
2695623, yes he does but i don't see him necessarily valuing that
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri May-10-19 01:53 PM
yes financially and professionally he should stay but he hasn't given any strong indicator that he will. i think he would be nasty AF on a team like the nets. he'd be the undisputed alpha but he'd also have support.

a lot of the buying power for teams like the knicks, suns and hawks depends on the lotto. so it's hard to define who the suitors are. if durant were to go to LA, i'd think clippers over lakers. i do not see him teaming up with lebron.
2695634, I honestly don't think this is important to him...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-10-19 02:36 PM
>i think he
>would be nasty AF on a team like the nets. he'd be the
>undisputed alpha but he'd also have support.

that "alpha" shit can be overrated when things aren't going well, ask Kyrie
2695556, At this point sure. Especially if he's leaving the best team
Posted by Cenario, Thu May-09-19 04:43 PM
2695523, only so many people are ever in a position to do it
Posted by Rjcc, Thu May-09-19 11:46 AM
KD's pockets are straight even if it all ended last night, he's in a different zone.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
2695536, he wants the security of a long term max deal like everybody else
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu May-09-19 01:40 PM
>KD's pockets are straight even if it all ended last night,
>he's in a different zone.
2695557, That's exactly it.
Posted by Ryan M, Thu May-09-19 04:47 PM
There aren't that many players who have:

1. Whatever successes they've deemed essential (like a ring)
2. Hugely successful financially - including bonuses like being an all star before a max deal, or whatever
3. Health to that point in their career

2695561, kyrie doesn't have the health, dame/russ don't have the success
Posted by Rjcc, Thu May-09-19 05:31 PM
anthony davis or a karl-anthony towns doesn't havethe off-the-court revenue stream to make up for potential losses

maybe giannis someday if they win this year?

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
2695562, Exactly.
Posted by Ryan M, Thu May-09-19 05:58 PM
I could MAYBE see Giannis doing it, but he doesn't have the marketability of a Durant or Lebron - probably because he's not American. Very tough for me to see anyone in the league right today doing it.
2695524, It'll be interesting to see which front office
Posted by Numba_33, Thu May-09-19 11:52 AM
manages to secure Kawhi for a long term 4-5 year deal. I dunno which team has the roster right now to convince him to make that kind of commitment, but I suppose things can change this summer.

Also will be interesting to see if Giannis will agree to lock himself to a long term deal with Milwaukee since that'll remove any kind of leverage he could hold over the front office in terms of coaching/roster changes. I don't think it would be wise for him to sign that kind of deal, but I suppose I could be wrong, especially if they manage to win it all this season.
2695537, Lebron was a unique situation, in his prime and at that point had never...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu May-09-19 01:44 PM
had any major injuries plus he had tremendous revenue streams off the court.

Kawhi on the other hand had missed significant time with injuries, I don't think he'll play around.

>manages to secure Kawhi for a long term 4-5 year deal. I
>dunno which team has the roster right now to convince him to
>make that kind of commitment, but I suppose things can change
>this summer.
>
>Also will be interesting to see if Giannis will agree to lock
>himself to a long term deal with Milwaukee since that'll
>remove any kind of leverage he could hold over the front
>office in terms of coaching/roster changes. I don't think it
>would be wise for him to sign that kind of deal, but I suppose
>I could be wrong, especially if they manage to win it all this
>season.

like I sad that was a risky thing Lebron and KD did but I don't see it becoming the norm
2695552, he'll get the four-year max from LAC or five from toronto, book it
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu May-09-19 04:02 PM
toronto has a solid situation with a good young player developing into a star and they have great management. i see no issue there. the clippers would be his foremost suitor and they also have committed ownership, superb management, elite coaching and the ability to surround him with one or two more huge stars. i'm not seeing any cold feet on his part, even if he is out of the box in some ways.
2695609, The man, for whatever his reasons were
Posted by Numba_33, Fri May-10-19 01:09 PM
was skittish enough to force the Spurs to move him and he's going to make a four year commitment to the Clippers when he's never played for Doc Rivers or make a five year commitment to his shaky at best Raptors team? Perhaps you see something I don't, because I don't see why he's make that kind of commitment to either squad.
2695631, He doesn't seem motivated by "normal" things
Posted by B9, Fri May-10-19 02:16 PM
All the SD/LA connections with him, and the house he bought in SD, makes it seem obvious. Plus Doc is a good coach, they have a core of good young guys and a ton of cap space with an owner that doesn't care about blowing money if its warranted. I can't see him NOT going to the Clippers.
2695640, this is how I feel...
Posted by Dstl1, Fri May-10-19 03:46 PM
outside of Toronto winning it all...I can't envision him NOT going to the Clippers.
2695997, To sweeten that deal
Posted by Numba_33, Mon May-13-19 10:57 AM
the Clippers would have to guarantee another max level play is going to sign there with Kawhi, no? If so, I wonder if they have that mapped out already because it's very unlikely IMO that Kawhi would make a 4 year commitment to rebuild the Clippers without an ironclad plan that he would get top level help, especially out in the West.

In regards to him signing in Toronto, I wonder what the front office can do to upgrade the roster because it's pretty clear the dude needs a dependable number two option. Would be wild if Butler ends up there somehow since he would be a huge upgrade over the putrid Danny Green. I would have to think selling Kawhi on the plans to upgrade the current Raptors roster has to be the front office's first priority.
2696009, like he was saying, Kawhi ain't tripping off that "superteam" shit
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon May-13-19 11:32 AM
2696015, I think Ujiri leaves T-Dot this summer tho....
Posted by Castro, Mon May-13-19 12:01 PM
2695551, ever? probably but it was never common and never will be
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu May-09-19 04:00 PM
we might see something else totally unprecedented where dat zingis takes a shitty qualifying offer this summer if you listen to some speculation. i can't imagine that happening but it's being repeated enough to consider it.

a 1+1, it has to be the exact right situation for the player to do that. basically where he can get a much bigger payday signing the max one year or two years later (which could happen) and/or where he wants to have considerable flexibility because the team is all in or otherwise uncertain in terms of its future 3-4 years down the line.
2695587, I can be smart but its a huge gamble on your health, I bet Boogie...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-10-19 08:52 AM
could've gotten bigger deals last summer but he decided to take the $5 mil from GS banking on cashing in on a max deal this summer but it didn't work out like that.
2695594, Who else offerred him a deal last summer?
Posted by Cenario, Fri May-10-19 10:49 AM
2695608, don't know but I figure he could've gotten more than 5mil he got from...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-10-19 01:04 PM
the Dubs but I think he wanted to play the odds and cash in on a max deal this summer but he still may not get it now
2695644, He didnt, thats why he just went to GS
Posted by Cenario, Fri May-10-19 04:50 PM
He was tryna get paid last season...nobody was gonna offer him big money and they all assumed somebody else was. So he holla'd at the warriors.
2695624, he would have gotten more than the MLE but nothing close to a max
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri May-10-19 01:55 PM
maybe he could have gotten julius randle's contract. whooptydamndoo (c) DC. in a weird way elton brand probably fucked boogie's money up
2697902, Seems increasingly likely you'll have your answer: Kawhi
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Jun-05-19 05:50 PM
Reports are saying short-term deal. I still think Clips have a good shot but it's in the air now. Most likely would be a 1+1 that gives him the freedom to bounce if it falls apart or stay through the "window" where they aren't strapped for talent. Lowry has two more years, I think. They could bring Gasol back on a short deal. Makes sense to have that narrow window deal and flexibility. It also works financially for Kawhi because in two years he'll be eligible for the big supermax deal
2697910, I can’t see it, he’s playing hurt now, he’s coming off a major...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jun-05-19 08:04 PM
injury, he needs that security
2697998, You seem way more worried about players' injuries and security
Posted by Cenario, Thu Jun-06-19 06:27 AM
Than the players do
2698010, so you think the players aren't concerned about that? Its a regular...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Jun-06-19 08:33 AM
conversation in sports.
2697906, kawhi.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Wed Jun-05-19 07:11 PM
that's the scuttlebutt anyway.
2698221, I Wouldn't Be Surprised If Klay Did
Posted by RexLongfellow, Fri Jun-07-19 09:49 PM
After that shit with the all NBA teams costing him $30 million
He signs a 1+1 deal and makes an all NBA team next year then signs long term for the supermax
2698331, also a possibility, his missing the all-nba team puts it in play for sure
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Jun-08-19 12:25 PM
2699199, or not.
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jun-14-19 09:16 AM