Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectLos Angeles Lakers Off-Season Poast
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2692888
2692888, Los Angeles Lakers Off-Season Poast
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Apr-10-19 08:32 AM
Well here we are.

What was already going to be the most important off-season in team history just got thrown another curve when Magic stepped down last night.

It was most likely for the best now than later. Earv is one of the greatest Lakers of all-time but just like with his short coaching stint I don't think he fully realized what he was getting into. The NBA has changed a lot in 30 years.

Playing professional sports, coaching professional sports, and running a professional sports organization is a lot harder than most people think that have never done it before, from armchair internet blowhards, to drunks at the bar, to talking heads on TV, to HOF former athletes.

Now where do we go from here? People have said that the Lakers have been ran as a "mom & pop" organization and you can't do that and be successful in 2019.

Will we bring in somebody from outside the Laker family to right the ship? What does the future hold for Pelinka and Luke?

Oh yeah btw we have a draft and free agency coming up....
2692891, Magic thought Lakers coaches lacked ability to develop young players:
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Apr-10-19 08:59 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-lakers-owner-jeanie-buss-recently-gave-magic-johnson-approval-to-fire-luke-walton-052736313.html

Sources: Magic Johnson thought Lakers coaches lacked ability to develop young players

Chris Haynes
Yahoo Sports
Apr 10, 2019, 12:27 AM

LOS ANGELES — Lakers owner Jeanie Buss recently gave Magic Johnson permission to fire coach Luke Walton at the conclusion of this season after being informed of Walton’s unwillingness to “bulk up" his coaching staff, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Johnson, who held an impromptu news conference outside the Lakers’ locker room Tuesday to announce his resignation as president before the team’s final game of the season against the Portland Trail Blazers, had been displeased with Walton’s ability to effectively make in-game adjustments and he felt the coaching staff lacked the experience and expertise to foster player development, sources said.

Young Lakers castoffs D’Angelo Russell and Julius Randle put together career years with the Brooklyn Nets and New Orleans Pelicans, respectively, which led to Johnson questioning Walton’s coaching staff, sources said. The Lakers — in LeBron James’ first season — were expected to at least make the playoffs, but they fell short of that goal for the sixth consecutive season.

Johnson wanted to replace Walton during the season, but Buss was reluctant to venture down that road until now, sources said.

The 59-year-old business mogul told Yahoo Sports on Tuesday he had the power to do what he saw fit for the franchise and said what would have transpired after exit interviews on Wednesday had nothing to do with why he made the shocking decision to resign.

In the 45-minute presser, he said that being happy and being himself with the freedom to openly converse with players and regaining a stronger hold in the African-American and Latino communities were his main reasons for stepping down.

Walton has one guaranteed year remaining on his contract and a team option for the 2020-21 season, sources confirmed. The embattled coach refused to address Johnson’s resignation after the Lakers’ 104-101 loss.

Former Cavs coach Tyronn Lue, Sixers assistant Monty Williams and former Warriors coach Mark Jackson were on the short list of candidates to replace Walton, with Lue and Williams being the primary targets, sources said.

But there was initially some pause from Buss, who was sensitive to the likelihood that the pursuit of Lue and Jackson would be perceived as James and his agent Rich Paul running the show and spearheading the coaching search, sources said.

Eventually, Buss’ concerns were alleviated after she reiterated the Lakers are a “Buss-ran organization,” sources said.

Walton’s eventual replacement has been an ongoing discussion for much of the season.

In early January, the Lakers suffered a 22-point pounding on the road against the Minnesota Timberwolves — their third straight loss and fifth in six games.

The next day in Dallas, Lue was spotted in the team's hotel lobby chatting with assistant Brian Shaw, sources said. This caused some uneasiness from a few within the organization. Some thought Lue’s presence at that juncture was in poor taste, sources said.

A few months later, The Athletic reported that Lue reached out to Walton to assure him he wasn’t contacted by the Lakers about his coaching position.

On Tuesday, it was a bizarre, unimaginable scene.

The large media contingent that Johnson drew blocked the entrance to the Lakers’ locker room. While Johnson was explaining his decision, players and coaches were uncomfortably walking in and out of the locker room.

Pregame media access to the locker room was canceled. Johnson held court for the entire pregame availability. Assistants Miles Simon and Mark Madsen stood in the background to take in the scene. Johnson even held another 20-minute media scrum later and did a television interview.

Of all the missteps that took place during what has been a disappointing season, this episode trumped all. Buss, according to Johnson, had no clue he was going to resign.

And now she’s in good company, because no one has a clue what’s going to happen next.
2692892, Julius was on his way under Walton's leadership and DLo was too...
Posted by Creole, Wed Apr-10-19 09:10 AM
Magic pulled the plug on both of them. We've already seen/read reports of the coaching staff wanting Randle back in the purple & gold. And we know Magic wanted a leader that other guys would want to play with. That's what he said about DLo. Right? Seems like them Nets wanted to play with him and let him take over.

This wasn't Luke's fault. Now, I'm no staunch fan of Luke's but Magic gotta own this shit and not pawn it off on anyone else. He fugged up. So, own it!

He's still my favorite player ever but he's, possibly, also the worst exec the Lakers have had. Shit! At least, Jim and Mitch didn't quit.
2692895, ^^^alladis
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Apr-10-19 09:21 AM
DLo and Randle just needed time to develop. I understand moving from DLo after the locker room thing, but how many of those players are still on current team? Swaggy P is out of the league, last I saw.

so agreed, Magic came in looking for quick fixes. He got some talent in Kuzma, Hart, and Zo. Kuz is dope already and still learing, but the other will obviously need more time.

2692897, I don’t know, except for flashes here and there Ingram hasn’t really...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Apr-10-19 09:24 AM
lived up to the hype. Lonzo has been a mixed bag as well.
2692898, It's a selfish thing but I'll never forgive Earvin for...
Posted by Creole, Wed Apr-10-19 09:40 AM
trading DLo
keeping Ingram instead of trading him
not drafting Tatum but instead grabbing Zo
not bringing Randle back
resigning KCP

I don't care if they (Ingram and Zo) work out later. I saw enough of Tatum in first year to have begun believing that he was already better than Ingram. And I dug DLo for his basketball skills; not because of his young immature ways which, with the right oldheads around, was gonna fade away. Magic must have believed these were four-year college players who'd matured already.
2692901, RE: It's a selfish thing but I'll never forgive Earvin for...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Apr-10-19 09:49 AM
>trading DLo
>keeping Ingram instead of trading him
>not drafting Tatum but instead grabbing Zo
>not bringing Randle back
>resigning KCP
>
>I don't care if they (Ingram and Zo) work out later. I saw
>enough of Tatum in first year to have begun believing that he
>was already better than Ingram. And I dug DLo for his
>basketball skills; not because of his young immature ways
>which, with the right oldheads around, was gonna fade away.
>Magic must have believed these were four-year college players
>who'd matured already.

Revisionist history is always fun, I'm sure the folks in Philly would like a do-over on the Fultz pick as well. I've watching Tatum since he was in high school and thought he would be good but around the time of the draft a lot of people weren't as sold. With Ingram on board a Tatum pic would've kind of redundant.
2692905, He could have packaged Ingram and Mozgov instead of DLo.
Posted by Creole, Wed Apr-10-19 09:54 AM
>With Ingram on board a Tatum pic would've kind of redundant.

But you're right about the revisionist history. It's just that I've felt that way since they did it. I'd become a DLo fan because he just showed that he had the type of game that I believed we'd need and that he was the young star that we could have built around in the post-Kobe years. Dude had the personality and was gonna grow out of the immaturity with the right folks around him.
2692909, There was a time when Ingram was viewed as 'untouchable'...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Apr-10-19 09:59 AM
>>With Ingram on board a Tatum pic would've kind of
>redundant.
>
>But you're right about the revisionist history. It's just that
>I've felt that way since they did it. I'd become a DLo fan
>because he just showed that he had the type of game that I
>believed we'd need and that he was the young star that we
>could have built around in the post-Kobe years. Dude had the
>personality and was gonna grow out of the immaturity with the
>right folks around him.

he was thought to be a future star, he has show potential to be that but consistency is still an issue
2692910, We'll see. I've got to live with it now. And it's not that I don't like Ingram. Just
Posted by Creole, Wed Apr-10-19 10:04 AM
like DLo a helluva lot more.
2692902, trading dtective is the only thing that really annoyed me
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Apr-10-19 09:51 AM
anyone w/ half a brain could see he was due to blow up.
2692904, Nah that was all Julius. The Lakers handcuffed Julius.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Wed Apr-10-19 09:52 AM
2692899, LMAO
Posted by cgonz00cc, Wed Apr-10-19 09:46 AM

>Young Lakers castoffs D’Angelo Russell and Julius Randle put
>together career years with the Brooklyn Nets and New Orleans
>Pelicans, respectively, which led to Johnson questioning
>Walton’s coaching staff

Randle's per36 and per100 numbers are almost exactly the same except for a slight uptick in FGA and thus points

Russell's efficiency numbers jumped because he hit 3s better, upped his Ast%, and dropped his TO%...just like you would expect a 4th year player would

Magic is the reason they had career years elsewhere...no one else's whatsoever
2692894, i aint interested in the soap opera. they need to fix this shit.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Apr-10-19 09:15 AM
see yall in October.
2692900, Fresh start... It can only get better. Right?
Posted by Creole, Wed Apr-10-19 09:48 AM
>Now where do we go from here? People have said that the Lakers
>have been ran as a "mom & pop" organization and you can't do
>that and be successful in 2019.
>
I think you can still run it that way if the suits, in the organizations, have the necessary skill and acumen to lead and run the business. Can't be these inept as mofos that we've seen.

>Will we bring in somebody from outside the Laker family to
>right the ship? What does the future hold for Pelinka and
>Luke?
It would be nice to have an experienced exec who can command respect for his leadership and ability to drive results.

>Oh yeah btw we have a draft and free agency coming up....
I'm hopeful we're able to find a away to still get our hands on AD.

I'd be okay with a move away from some of the older vets we have now. On a lower scale, go for Boogie and find some shooters to surround he and LBJ with. Ingram's health issue lowers his value especially if the prognosis is similar to Bosh's. I dunno anything about it though. Trade Zo if you can. Keep Rondo.

Edit: Pray that LBJ can get the guys to trust him again. If he can't, shit ain't gonna get better.
2692903, RE: Fresh start... It can only get better. Right?
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Apr-10-19 09:52 AM

>I'd be okay with a move away from some of the older vets we
>have now. On a lower scale, go for Boogie and find some
>shooters to surround he and LBJ with.

I'm not a Cousins fan at all. After seeing more of him with GS the idea of giving him a max contract and expecting him to be a team leader will be a huge mistake for somebody, hopefully not us.
2692908, Oh noooo. I didn't mean to give the impression that Boogie is worth a max...
Posted by Creole, Wed Apr-10-19 09:58 AM

>I'm not a Cousins fan at all. After seeing more of him with GS
>the idea of giving him a max contract and expecting him to be
>a team leader will be a huge mistake for somebody, hopefully
>not us.

deal. Hell no! He'd have to come for maybe $15m - $17m per season at this stage of his career. After that Achilles issue and with the other factors you've mentioned, I'd pay him strictly for his skill and ability to help win games.

And if he didn't have any or many offers last year, he may not have a bunch this year either.
2692915, Magic leaving was needed. It’s time for a real PBO search and hire
Posted by LA2Philly, Wed Apr-10-19 10:55 AM
David Griffin said on NBATV last night that he personally knows of multiple top level talent who would leave their current position for the Lakers one. All the ingredients and the summer plan is right there, it’s time to hire someone who can steer the ship and is willing to focus, put the time in, and create a plan.
2692944, I'd put money on Jeanie giving Rob both titles
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Apr-10-19 02:55 PM
If she desperately needs to go outside the Alumni network for this one.
2695617, not exactly sure why and they seem to be replacing him with ghost rambis
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri May-10-19 01:44 PM
2692936, Lakers Reportedly Targeting These 3 Coaches To Replace Luke Walton
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Apr-10-19 01:35 PM
https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/lakers-reportedly-targeting-these-3-coaches-to-replace-luke-walton

April 10, 2019 @ 9:20am » Andrew Holleran
SHARES 150

Lakers Reportedly Targeting These 3 Coaches To Replace Luke Walton

OAKLAND, CA - DECEMBER 25: Head coach Luke Walton of the Los Angeles Lakers reacts to a call against the Golden State Warriors during the second half of their NBA Basketball game at ORACLE Arena on December 25, 2018 in Oakland, California. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)
Magic Johnson quit on the Los Angeles Lakers on Tuesday night, which could mean a lot of things for the iconic NBA franchise, though the biggest immediate one might be the future of head coach Luke Walton.

Walton is expected to be fired as the head coach of the Lakers following a disappointing 2018-19 season, though that hasn’t happened yet.

However, a new report from Yahoo! Sports reveals that Johnson had received permission to fire Walton, though he quit before doing it.

Lakers owner Jeanie Buss recently gave Magic Johnson permission to fire coach Luke Walton at the conclusion of this season after being informed of Walton’s unwillingness to “bulk up” his coaching staff, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Johnson, who held an impromptu news conference outside the Lakers’ locker room Tuesday to announce his resignation as president before the team’s final game of the season against the Portland Trail Blazers, had been displeased with Walton’s ability to effectively make in-game adjustments and he felt the coaching staff lacked the experience and expertise to foster player development, sources said.

The Lakers have reportedly been targeting these three coaches to potentially replace Walton.

Former Cavs coach Tyronn Lue, Sixers assistant Monty Williams and former Warriors coach Mark Jackson were on the short list of candidates to replace Walton, with Lue and Williams being the primary targets, sources said.

It’s unclear what happens from here, though.

The Lakers are clearly in a major state of dysfunction at the moment and have a ton of decisions to make moving forward.
2692947, Mark Jackson would be dope
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Wed Apr-10-19 03:14 PM
2692949, The NBA Insiders spin machine is coming full force with this story
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Wed Apr-10-19 03:21 PM
Woj had his story ready to go.

All these other cats pointing fingers.

Now everyone wants to talk about how he was in over his head. FOH.
2693075, At the end of the day we still have Lebron and cap space...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Apr-11-19 07:48 PM
the free agent outlook comes down to the 5 K's...

1. KD
2. Kawhi
3. Kyrie
4. Klay
5. Kemba

Despite a lot of talk I don't think KD is leaving GS. I don't see the NY thing happening seeing how icy he is with the media the NY press is on a whole different level...

I don't see Kawhi signing on the be Lebron's sidekick I don't see that relationship there...

Kyrie is interest despite the "apology" call does he really want to be Lebron's sidekick again? But a lot of people are talking about him going to NY but he has a similar relationship with the media as KD...

Klay would be an ideal sidekick to Lebron and we all know his dad is a former Laker but it will be hard to pry him from the Warriors...

If all the big names pass on the Lakers is Kemba a legit option? Would he mesh well with Lebron? Could they put enough role players around him to make the Lakers a legit contender?

as for other people I'm not really a fan of Cuz...

Would any of the guys in Philly be interested in coming west?

Does DJ still have anything left in the tank?

Bogdanovic has blossomed in Indiana to become one of the best shooters in the NBA...

Danny Green is another great shooter who might be had cheap...

Marcus Morris is a versatile player who would bring an element of toughness...
2693113, RE: Los Angeles Lakers Off-Season Poast
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Apr-12-19 11:17 AM
https://lakeshowlife.com/2019/04/11/lakers-rumors-bob-myers-replace-magic-johnson/
2693116, Did you really need to link to that non-story?
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Apr-12-19 11:37 AM
Because it's a pretty empty piece of "no shit" clickbait.
2693142, are these dudes crazy or what?
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Apr-12-19 02:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsMaDzT0D5Y
2693144, Luke and the Lakers have "parted ways"...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Apr-12-19 03:09 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/shell-dnp-lakers-fire-luke-walton-200423995.html
2693345, Juwan Howard to interview for Cavs, Lakers coaching spots
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun Apr-14-19 03:35 PM
https://www.hothothoops.com/2019/4/14/18310551/juwan-howard-miami-heat-coach-los-angeles-lakers

nothing against him really I liked him as a player but I would prefer an experienced head coach...

would he be his own man or a Lebron puppet?
2693371, the front office is a bit of a mess...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Sun Apr-14-19 07:13 PM
..definitely not a good look heading into free agency.

This is not what Dr. Buss wanted.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2693378, A bit?
Posted by Ryan M, Sun Apr-14-19 07:57 PM
2693379, The back office ain't much better
Posted by FILF, Sun Apr-14-19 08:29 PM
2693413, Juwan Howard?
Posted by tariqhu, Mon Apr-15-19 10:57 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2831335-lakers-rumors-la-has-permission-to-interview-juwan-howard-for-hc-opening

not sure how I feel about this. I'm up for giving new coaches a shot, but that pressure on him will be crazy.
2693440, If Jeannie hired Kobe to replace Magic along with the Juwan Howard hire...
Posted by Kira, Mon Apr-15-19 03:54 PM
... Bron's head would explode.

Allegedly, Kobe is already involved in the front office via Rob Pelinka but Jeannie should just hire Kobe formally. The Kobe Bron shouting matches are going to be legendary. I'd subscribe to league pass asap just to watch the Lakers.
2693419, Jeannie is trash and needs to be removed from power
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Apr-15-19 12:59 PM
I doubt that's possible, but she needs to hire someone as pres with a serious resume. She needs to back up that Brinks truck and stay far, far, far out of their way.

The fact that we're looking for a coach before a new president shines a bright light on how awful Jeannie is.

Worse, considering a rookie head coach, at this time, while trying to make quantum leaps in short time on the competition front?

Nah.

I'm sure she's great on the external business side.

But she's been abysmal on the basketball front, and doesn't appear to be improving. Her tenure has featured little aside from a stream of bad decisions followed by other bad decisions.

Rob should have been fired as well and this should have been a complete house cleaning with a goal of bringing in a regime of seasoned veterans on both the coaching and management front, with an eye outside of the Lakers Alumni/Brawn Appeasement bubbles.

Jeannie is likable enough and a great public face for the Lakers. But basketball operations are demonstrably a weakness of hers, and she needs to get out of her own way in that regard.
2693421, well her brother wasn't much better lol
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Apr-15-19 01:13 PM
2693427, I have no idea how that's relevant to her being trash
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Apr-15-19 02:13 PM
Particularly since she was in charge during his tenure, and said tenure is another one of her bad decisions.

2693506, Why should have Rob also been fired?
Posted by LA2Philly, Tue Apr-16-19 09:43 AM
He was the exact opposite of Magic - working diligently every day and on that grind. Further, his GM moves in totality and with consideration to the plan (two max slots + young core) have been pretty good. I understand the perception aspect but I don't believe you fire him for that.
2693518, Because there are proven commodities out there.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Apr-16-19 10:34 AM
The perception issue, IMO, can become a bigger issue without Magic.

To be clear, I place 100% of this mess on Jeannie. This is less about firing Rob and more about righting the ship with proven commodities.

2693521, Other GM's in the league hate Rob because of his past as an agent...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Apr-16-19 10:40 AM
and don't want to deal with him. That's what Magic was good at.

>He was the exact opposite of Magic - working diligently every
>day and on that grind. Further, his GM moves in totality and
>with consideration to the plan (two max slots + young core)
>have been pretty good. I understand the perception aspect but
>I don't believe you fire him for that.
2693527, That's what Magic THOUGHT he was good at.
Posted by Creole, Tue Apr-16-19 11:11 AM
Until it was proven that he was not.

But hey... He's happy now. He gets to go back to being Magic.

And I don't think it's Jeanie's fault that Magic sold her on being committed to the Lakers but really wasn't committed to the Lakers.
2693545, The Anthony Davis drama was actually kicked off by his agent Rich Paul...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Apr-16-19 01:25 PM
and once it was out there Magic had to do what he could to try to make it work but Dell Demps dumb ass had people like Popovich and Danny Ferry in his ear who were really plotting on Demps getting fired so Ferry could get his job.
2694043, He thought them pearly whites was gonna get it done...
Posted by Creole, Mon Apr-22-19 02:55 PM
When they didn't, he went this route.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/19/cf/9f/19cf9f4d4d3d02d989cef40a3e4dd80b--magic-johnson-awesome-quotes.jpg
2694041, Lakers have no plans to replace Magic Johnson, still helping the team...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Apr-22-19 02:34 PM
Lakers have no plans to replace Magic Johnson, who’ll still help team recruit FAs
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-lakers-no-plans-replace-172456164.html

Dan Feldman
NBC Sports•Apr 22, 2019, 12:24 PM

Magic Johnson’s stunning resignation as Lakers president caused a commotion.

It didn’t create a power vacuum.

Rob Pelinka is clearly in charge. He’s the highest-ranking member of the front office. His title – general manager – is the one many teams give to the leader of their basketball operations. He’s running the Lakers’ coaching search.

Though they’ve been linked to big-name candidates for president, the Lakers could easily keep the status quo with Pelinka running the show. And it sounds as if that’s what Lakers owner Jeanie Buss will do.

Tania Ganguli of the Los Angeles Times:

Buss has no plans to hire someone to replace Johnson, who is still expected to be part of the Lakers’ free-agent recruiting this summer.

Allowing Pelinka to hire a head coach – which, again, he’s in the process of doing – then supplanting him would be absurd. At least it seems the Lakers aren’t doing that.

But Pelinka was part of the organization while it made a comedy of errors. The former agent also had (no)front-office experience until getting hired with Johnson a couple years ago. It’s hard to believe he’s the right choice to lead the team as it enters this critical stage.

LeBron James is 34. The Lakers will have max cap space this summer. Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma, Lonzo Ball and Josh Hart are progressing toward establishing clearer value – one way or the other.

To entrust Pelinka in this situation, Buss ought to have a clear explanation for why Pelinka doesn’t deserve a fair share of blame for all the mistakes that occurred the last couple years. There are plenty of people, inside and outside the Lakers, who question him.

The wildest part about this report: Johnson still helping the Lakers recruit this summer. He’s an all-time great player and charismatic. But he also just said while resigning:

What I didn’t like is the backstabbing, the whispering. I don’t like that. I don’t like a lot of things that went on that didn’t have to go on.

How will he sell that to free agents – especially if Pelinka, suspected to be whom Johnson is referring to, remains in charge?

2694042, Huh? What?!?! - Joeski Love
Posted by Creole, Mon Apr-22-19 02:51 PM
>The wildest part about this report: Johnson still helping the Lakers recruit this summer. He’s an all-time great player and charismatic. But he also just said while resigning:

>What I didn’t like is the backstabbing, the whispering. I don’t like that. I don’t like a lot of things that went on that didn’t have to go on.

>How will he sell that to free agents – especially if Pelinka, suspected to be whom Johnson is referring to, remains in charge?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/xXtZwLYO-TY/maxresdefault.jpg
2694554, Emails? He quit over emails? GTFOH, Magic!
Posted by Creole, Fri Apr-26-19 08:43 AM
Instead of getting mad and quitting, how about getting mad, addressing the emails with them, and then doing your damned job?

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2019/04/24/lonzo-ball-news-magic-johnson-rob-pelinka-jeanie-buss-rumor-la-lakers/

“My understanding is that there were some emails that were exchanged between Rob and Jeanie…about Magic and about what Magic was and wasn’t doing. They were critical emails. And somehow, someway, Jeanie, from what I understand, was CC’ing or blind CC’ing Magic on everything. That was sort of protocol. Standard issue.

Somehow, the exchange between Rob and Jeanie ended up on that string of the blind CC’s that were going to Magic. So, Magic now is seeing emails from Rob to Jeanie that were critical of what he was doing and maybe most important in all this is that there was no indication that Jeanie was backing Rob up in terms of either going to Magic and letting him know this was going on or going back at Rob and defending Magic. That was not happening and so when he talked about the backstabbing, to me, my understtanding that’s what started it. The fact that Jeanie waved goodbye and said ‘Thank you for all that you did’ was that she didn’t necessarily disagree with what Rob was saying.”

2694556, Is this the NBA or middle school?
Posted by Mack, Fri Apr-26-19 09:54 AM
pretty ridiculous
2694561, Worse. It's the Lakers.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Apr-26-19 11:07 AM
2695163, Debunked. Stop posting trash from Ric Bucher
Posted by LA2Philly, Sun May-05-19 07:04 PM
Dude lies to stay relevant these days
2695046, Monty Williams to Phoenix... Uhoh
Posted by Kira, Fri May-03-19 01:38 PM
If the Buss family gives Bron his way and hires Ty Lue things get worse.

Common sense coaching hire is Jason Kidd. He's best for the development of the young team. You can keep Zoe and actually run a legit offense. JKidd holds Bron accountable for the first time since Paul Silas made he quit practice.
2695164, i honestly wonder why lebron went to la.
Posted by Reeq, Sun May-05-19 07:11 PM
what was the plan and what did he expect was going to happen? was it mostly his choice or did someone else convince him?

cuz he and his team tend to have all of their ducks in a row to maximize his chance of success and that clearly isnt the case here.
2695169, Eh, he went to like 8 finals in a row
Posted by DJR, Sun May-05-19 10:25 PM
If he can help put a young team that hasn’t seen the playoffs in half a decade on its way, what’s wrong with that?

This whole “ringz or you suck” culture ain’t good.

But I was one who enjoyed watching Mike come back and have the Wizards in line to make the playoffs (until he got hurt), or Magic come back after 5 years and get 15,7, and 5 or whatever for a solid playoff team. The general consensus is those stints were “embarrassing” or “disastrous” or something but I never bought into that.

LeBron is obviously younger and much better than Wizards Jordan or ‘96 Magic, and depending on the level of star the Lakers sign(and they will be getting someone very good...cmon), the Lakers will be in the playoffs and could even make a deep run. You can’t count them out at all.

But even in the worse case scenario, LeBron doesn’t have to keep superteaming up to prove anything to anybody.

Same with KD. He goes to the Knicks and does his usual shit and leads them to round 2 or something, he’s getting all the props in the world from me.
2695171, For the same "business" reason Servant wants to play in NYC
Posted by FILF, Sun May-05-19 11:12 PM
>what was the plan and what did he expect was going to happen?
> was it mostly his choice or did someone else convince him?
>
>cuz he and his team tend to have all of their ducks in a row
>to maximize his chance of success and that clearly isnt the
>case here.
2695172, Uh...to make his money turn into more money.
Posted by Castro, Sun May-05-19 11:14 PM
2695430, Lakers trying to drop a snake in Lue's backyard
Posted by Kungset, Wed May-08-19 05:22 PM
Tyronn Lue and Lakers ‘have reached an impasse’ in contract negotiations, possibly over adding Jason Kidd as an assistant coach

It’s not clear if Jason Kidd would even want to be an assistant coach under Tyronn Lue with the Lakers, but nevertheless, L.A.’s interest in him for that position has partially led to a breakdown in negotiations.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/5/8/18537489/lakers-rumors-jason-kidd-tyronn-lue-lol-assistant-coach-espn-news-woj-bomb-shams-wow-athletic

2695432, at first it was being reported that Thibs was going to be his...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed May-08-19 05:28 PM
assistant and I definitely couldn't see that, if he can't pick his own staff he might pass and they might end up with Kidd as head coach.
2695434, unfortunately, i think you'll end up being right on the money
Posted by Kungset, Wed May-08-19 06:54 PM
Lue was such a no-brainer hire to me
2695435, this org becomes a bigger
Posted by tariqhu, Wed May-08-19 07:22 PM
joke everyday.
2695437, best organization in sports for 60 years is shitshow
Posted by DJR, Wed May-08-19 07:36 PM
WTF. I miss Jerry Buss and Jerry West.
2695439, Fucking...west coast Knicks :(
Posted by Ryan M, Wed May-08-19 08:00 PM
2695505, The one Knicks connection
Posted by Numba_33, Thu May-09-19 09:18 AM
I can see is that fact that I'm reading that Kurt Rambis of all people is actually involved in this madness for the next head coach.

Now that is pretty wild if true.
2695518, When a guy was too shitty for the Timberwolves and Knicks
Posted by Marauder21, Thu May-09-19 10:33 AM
You've got to bring him in and let him control your head coaching search.
2695531, https://twitter.com/YourManDevine/status/1126275587608338432?s=19
Posted by dula dibiasi, Thu May-09-19 01:01 PM
https://twitter.com/YourManDevine/status/1126275587608338432?s=19
2695599, Now all this missing to make this
Posted by Numba_33, Fri May-10-19 12:36 PM
a complete and total mess is one Phil Jackson.

In all seriousness, Phil and Jeanie Buss did split years ago, correct?
2695504, Upon further reporting, the major sticking point was contract length
Posted by LA2Philly, Thu May-09-19 09:15 AM
He was fine with Vogel and Kidd on the staff if given the 5 year deal. He emphasized during the interview that he wasn’t just there to coach LeBron but the team felt differently.
2695511, 5 years is pretty much industry standard too
Posted by The Real, Thu May-09-19 09:54 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2695521, right - it's disrespectful to be like "we just want you here for Bron"
Posted by Vex_id, Thu May-09-19 10:55 AM
If you make an offer - you extend it confidently and with respect.

I'm not even a Lue fan - but if you want him to be your coach - act like it.

-->
2695522, Apparently it was a money issue too
Posted by mrhood75, Thu May-09-19 11:13 AM
Like, they were offering him $6 million a year. And considering that he’d have to give up the money the Cavs still owe him, he might have ended up losing money. Can’t blame Lue for not wanting that deal.
2695526, You can't be cheap AND controlling. Pick one.
Posted by Ryan M, Thu May-09-19 11:55 AM
Lue would be one of six current NBA coaches to win a title. He deserves the industry standard 5 year deal, plus at the VERY least whatever he was making per year in Cleveland. You can't offer 3/18 when he was making 5/35 in Cleveland, essentially forcing him to take a paycut coaching in a big market as a title winning coach.

Then insult to injury - you want to pick his staff? Fuck outta here, Jeannie and Rob.
2695533, seems like Lue was just for Bron
Posted by Stadiq, Thu May-09-19 01:05 PM
if all of this is true (short contract, cheap contract, wanted to pick his staff)...seems like they didn't even want him, just trying to appease Bron.

Wouldn't be surprised if we heard "and they wanted Lue to let Vogel make all rotation decisions and design the sets" or some shit. Basically on some "look if anyone, especially Bron, asks your the coach. But...nah"

Its odd to see the Laker organization so poorly run.

I wonder if Bron regrets signing for 4 years.
2695528, Mark Jackson is right there. He lives in LA.
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu May-09-19 12:14 PM
2695542, Frank Vogel...
Posted by Creole, Thu May-09-19 02:31 PM
https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-frank-vogel-lakers-coaching-position-interview-20190509-story.html

"He had been a candidate to be the associate head coach on Lue’s staff."

Ummmmm...

Well, if he was so highly thought of, why wasn't he in the running with the initial candidates (Lue, Howard, Williams, etc.)?

So far, this Lakers off-season, more than any other in the last 40 years, is testing my patience and making me consider retiring from being a fan.
2695543, Paul George is not walking through that door.
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu May-09-19 02:33 PM
2695545, They're going to hire someone who makes Kurt an assistant
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu May-09-19 03:16 PM
They'll fire that guy within two years, and then give Kurt the job.

Kurt should be out of all NBA coaching pools, if not all coaching pulls.

Luke wasn't the guy to cry nepotism about (not you, but others) but Kurt damn sure is.

The report that they wouldn't let him pick up Shaw really pisses me off.
2695589, This deal
Posted by The Real, Fri May-10-19 09:05 AM
It's something you offer to a coach desperate to get back into coaching. Not a coach like Lue that has been successful and doesn't need the Lakers' money.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2695596, what a dumpster fire
Posted by Stadiq, Fri May-10-19 11:35 AM

Are they daring Bron to just retire?
2695607, "Lakers' offer to Tyronn Lue was 'disrespectful' and 'pitiful,' " :
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-10-19 01:01 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/lakers-offer-to-tyronn-lue-was-disrespectful-and-pitiful-according-to-chauncey-billups-145717324.html

Lakers' offer to Tyronn Lue was 'disrespectful' and 'pitiful,' according to Chauncey Billups

Chris Cwik
Yahoo Sports
May 10, 2019, 9:57 AM

The Los Angeles Lakers are still dealing with the fallout of failing to come to an agreement with Tyronn Lue. The team has been ripped for its handling of the situation, with a number of ex-players and analysts questioning the team’s thinking.

One of the harshest criticisms comes from former Detroit Pistons guard Chauncey Billups. The 42-year-old Billups called the Lakers’ offer “disrespectful” and “pitiful” during an impassioned speech on ESPN.

Billups’ analysis begins around the 2:40 mark.

https://youtu.be/YK8R535h0JU

Billups begins by saying he’s going to be nice before launching into a harsh critique of the team.

“The disrespect is unbelievable that they’ve given to Ty Lue. He’s a championship coach. This is an organization with 16 championships. You would think that they would value a champion, but they haven’t. But the dysfunction obviously starts at the top anywhere. Period. Anywhere.

“But to offer this dude three years when you’re just coming off offering Luke five, and to try to pick his staff — you didn’t pick Luke’s staff — is disrespectful. Monty Williams just got a five-year deal. So did Luke, got another five-year deal*. Congratulations to those dudes. And that’s, like, the standard. You offer this dude three years. He’s a champion. It’s pitiful, man. I don’t know what they’re doing. I don’t know where they are going.”

*Walton signed a four-year deal with the Sacramento Kings.

Whether or not you agree with Lue being a good coach, Billups makes some fair points. The Lakers gave Luke Walton a five-year deal in 2016 despite a limited track record. The team also didn’t try to handpick Walton’s assistants.

Lue has a much longer history and has won a championship. Even if you want to give LeBron James the credit for that championship, it’s still pretty disrespectful to treat Lue like a total unknown.

With Lue now out of the picture, the Lakers will have to find another coach who fits what they are looking to do. When the time comes to make that coach an offer, the Lakers better figure out a contract that won’t result in them getting roasted again.
2695611, Walton got 5 years/$25M, 4 years guaranteed...?
Posted by bentagain, Fri May-10-19 01:11 PM
LAL acting like they're doing Lue a favor

FOH

Pay that man.
2695612, if we end up with Frank Vogel I'm going to be pissed.
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-10-19 01:12 PM
2695620, Cleveland still owes him money, that's a factor
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri May-10-19 01:48 PM
He signs a deal with another team and they are off the hook. They owe him a little over $10M I believe so if he takes 3/18M then he really gets 3/8M. 3/18M is already not enough for a title-winning coach. At least make the term longer, and in this case that's absolutely essential. They jerked him around about involving Kidd, Rambis and whomever else. So they are keeping him on a short leash, making him a laughable cash offer and they are also trying to pick his staff for him. It's no wonder he balked and evidently had his camp leak all the details immediately.
2695621, There's some type of protest at Staples today LMAO
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri May-10-19 01:49 PM
man i am tempted to go up to the roof and take a piss.
2695632, Goddamnit, this is painful enough CC
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri May-10-19 02:16 PM
>man i am tempted to go up to the roof and take a piss.

Of course, I'd do the same if this were Boston, because fuck them and Ainge's goofy ass face.

Bless these protesters and their (presumed) bountiful vacation time.
2695657, I wonder if Warren wore his cloak?
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Fri May-10-19 07:34 PM
2695660, Lmao asshole
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-10-19 08:14 PM
2697829, BANG! (c) Mike Breen
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon Jun-03-19 07:03 PM
2695633, Lakers to interview J.B. Bickerstaff for coaching position
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-10-19 02:25 PM
https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-coach-search-jb-bickerstaff-20190510-story.html

Lakers to interview J.B. Bickerstaff for coaching position

The Lakers will continue their search for a new coach by interviewing J.B. Bickerstaff on Friday at the team’s practice facility in El Segundo, according to several people who were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

The former Memphis Grizzlies coach will become the second coach candidate the Lakers will have talked to this week after not being able to reach an agreement with former Cleveland Cavaliers coach Tyronn Lue.

Former Indiana Pacers and Orlando Magic coach Frank Vogel interviewed with the Lakers on Thursday, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation.

Bickerstaff is scheduled to meet with Lakers owner Jeanie Buss, general manager Rob Pelinka, co-owners Joey Buss and Jesse Buss, president of business operations Tim Harris, director of special projects Linda Rambis and senior advisor Kurt Rambis.

Bickerstaff, 40, was fired on April 11 by the Grizzlies after the team missed the playoffs with a record of 33-49.

He had been hired by Memphis as the associate head coach in 2016, but was promoted to interim head coach on Nov. 27, 2017, after head coach David Fizdale was fired. Bickerstaff was named the head coach of the Grizzlies on May 1, 2018.

He was also the interim coach of the Rockets after Houston fired Kevin McHale on Nov. 18, 2015.

Bickerstaff led the Rockets to the playoffs, but they lost in the first round and he withdrew his name from the head-coaching search with Houston.

The Lakers have been in the process of trying to hire a coach since they and Luke Walton mutually agreed to part ways on April 12.

The next coach the Lakers hire will be their fifth in eight years, and that person will try to help them reach the playoffs after they missed them the last six consecutive seasons.

2695648, there must be somebody within the Lakers “braintrust”...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-10-19 05:31 PM
with some deep seated hate for Mark Jackson not to even be considered.

I pray that they don’t give it to Rambis I guess I’ll take Vogel over him but damn...

Brian Shaw not getting a look at this point is shady too
2695662, can't really see an evangelical dude coaching in L.A.
Posted by Vex_id, Fri May-10-19 08:23 PM
love Mark Jax but that Pete Santorum non-sense ain't gonna fly in LaLa land.

-->
2695754, I get that but at this point we're interviewing JB Bickerstaff.
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat May-11-19 07:07 AM
2695757, Mark Jackson is a perfect fit for a LeBron team
Posted by Dr Claw, Sat May-11-19 07:14 AM
I don't know if he's even interested in the job but if he is....
2695769, RE: Mark Jackson is a perfect fit for a LeBron team
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat May-11-19 08:04 AM
>I don't know if he's even interested in the job but if he
>is....

Why wouldn’t he be?
2695783, Honestly, he might just be happy calling the games.
Posted by mrhood75, Sat May-11-19 10:24 AM
I have no idea what his ESPN/ABC checks look like, but dude just might be happier without having to deal with everything that NBA coaches have to go through. And right now, coaching the Lakers is a difficult proposition.
2695803, RE: Honestly, he might just be happy calling the games.
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat May-11-19 06:03 PM
>I have no idea what his ESPN/ABC checks look like, but dude
>just might be happier without having to deal with everything
>that NBA coaches have to go through. And right now, coaching
>the Lakers is a difficult proposition.

I doubt if it’s close to NBA head coach money but you could tell it’s still an itch he wants to scratch but I think talk about the way he left GS is still haunting him.
2695830, yeah. too much work tryna convert the entire team to his religion
Posted by Amritsar, Sun May-12-19 08:33 AM
2695806, I liked Jax for the role. Vogel is really, really odd to me
Posted by Vex_id, Sat May-11-19 06:16 PM
I like Kidd as the Assistant (though I'd rather have Kidd as the Head Coach with Vogel assisting) - but either way, this is yet another underwhelming front-office move by the Lakers.

-->
2695768, After last time would Mike Brown be interested in taking another go...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat May-11-19 08:04 AM
with the Lakers and Bron?
2695777, we're a dumpster fire right now
Posted by LegacyNS, Sat May-11-19 09:43 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================
2695778, basically. n/m
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat May-11-19 10:14 AM
2695793, What are we doing?
Posted by Kira, Sat May-11-19 01:28 PM
*Lakers fan since Kobe first preseason game against the Mavericks weighs in*

What's so hard about throwing 30 mill at Sam Presti and hiring Jason Kidd?

I honestly don't get this situation at all. They gave someone under investigation for sexual misconduct a five year deal but a championship coach is worthy of a three year deal. And he's from the Laker cloth.

Yeah this is BS.
2695794, Just to be clear...
Posted by Ryan M, Sat May-11-19 02:51 PM
Sam Presti - the guy who HAD Durant, Harden, and Westbrook on the same team but broke it up to keep Serge Ibaka? That Sam Presti?
2695795, Yeah him or Masai
Posted by Kira, Sat May-11-19 03:31 PM
Sam was talented enough to land all of them at a discount don't forget that.

There's no way the Lakers shouldn't have the best front office in the league. We gotta come off this Lakers dna requirement.
2695796, At a discount?
Posted by Ryan M, Sat May-11-19 03:34 PM
He drafted them.

Oden was going first. Durant was the obvious pick.
Memphis took Thabeet, so Harden was obvious.
Westbrook was a good pick, but also went behind the obvious top 3. You could argue Kevin Love tho.
2695800, The classic "pick the next guy on the consensus big board" discount.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat May-11-19 04:32 PM
2695801, I guess Vogel it is... *rolls eyes*
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat May-11-19 05:59 PM
2695802, with kidd as the assistant, allegedly. So strange
Posted by dillinjah, Sat May-11-19 06:02 PM
2695804, yeah I feel like that should be the other way around
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat May-11-19 06:05 PM
2695805, kidd will take over eventually. We all know that.
Posted by dillinjah, Sat May-11-19 06:10 PM
Whether he'll finally succeed as HC the *third* time around, we'll see.
2695811, a organization filled with drama sets up a coaching situation
Posted by LegacyNS, Sat May-11-19 08:32 PM
which is sure to create more.. awesome.. lol
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================
2695812, this is gonna be a LOOOOOOONG summer...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Sat May-11-19 08:56 PM
..good days
bad days
halfway days... © D'Angelo

2695813, Ryan, someone, please pass me shots of bottom shelf old tequila
Posted by Kira, Sat May-11-19 09:01 PM
This better work. They were better off hiring Ty Lue to have someone as Lebron's coach. This assumes the Lakers don't trade Lebron at some point. The inevitable Frank JKidd clash should be legendary.

When JKidd takes over Lebron might want out if JKidd sticks to form...

Paul Silas forced Bron to tap out of practice once so imagine what JKidd does.
2695828, RE: Ryan, someone, please pass me shots of bottom shelf old tequila
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun May-12-19 08:14 AM
>This better work. They were better off hiring Ty Lue to have
>someone as Lebron's coach. This assumes the Lakers don't trade
>Lebron at some point. The inevitable Frank JKidd clash should
>be legendary.
>
>When JKidd takes over Lebron might want out if JKidd sticks to
>form...
>
>Paul Silas forced Bron to tap out of practice once so imagine
>what JKidd does.

Where do y’all get crap like this? Kidd has a great relationship with Giannis who was very upset when he got fired.
2695859, I grew up a Cavs fan....
Posted by Kira, Sun May-12-19 05:23 PM
At some point David Blatt struggled and Ty Lue became the head coach. Only saving Grace for Frank is JKidd is not taking Bron's bs and the buss family does their best to reign in Bron.

As for JKidds time in Milwaukee look how the league treats black head coaches like Mark Jackson and JKidd vs Brett Brown 6ers coach and Brad Stevens.
2696116, then why are you here?..
Posted by CyrenYoung, Tue May-14-19 09:18 AM
..if you're a Cav's fan, why are you concerned about the Laker's coaches?

2697072, Been a Lakers fan since Kobe got drafted...
Posted by Kira, Fri May-24-19 05:41 PM
I remember his 10 points against the Mavericks in his preseason game.

Technically I been riding for the purple and gold just not joining in on all the fun.
2697098, sounds like bandwagon material to me...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Sat May-25-19 01:49 PM
..but I'll let you cook lol.

2696119, right....
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue May-14-19 09:36 AM

>As for JKidds time in Milwaukee look how the league treats
>black head coaches like Mark Jackson and JKidd vs Brett Brown
>6ers coach and Brad Stevens.

white coaches get TIME to turn a situation around
2697077, Brad Stevens' record is pretty much unimpeachable, but OK
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri May-24-19 06:19 PM
Brown they hired to bring the team along from start to finish though that patience may be getting thin
2696120, So I'm actually fine w/ this after the hot takes settle.
Posted by Vex_id, Tue May-14-19 09:38 AM
Look - the Lakers were a very competitive team up until Christmas when injuries just knocked them out of any consistent rotation.

They are going to sign guys that fit better w/ this nucleus - they'll get some shooters - they may even get a premier FA (Butler, Middleton, Kawhi (unlikely but possible), Klay (unlikely but possible). I think there's zero chance they get KD or Kyrie - but who knows.

Vogel & Kidd will be a much more competent staff than Walton and his crew. Without another A-level all-star, it'll be hard for this team to vie for a title - but they'll be right in the mix and despite the noise, Vogel & Kidd complement each other and it'll be better organized than it was last year.

I don't think the sky is falling, that's all.

-->
2696121, Stephen Jackson is TALKING ABOUT IT...:
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue May-14-19 09:39 AM
https://youtu.be/ZXbU5zUrRHA?t=239
2696700, Magic: I DROP...megaton bombs more faster than you blink
Posted by Dstl1, Mon May-20-19 07:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffERoFUVE8M
2696702, I’ll say this.
Posted by Ryan M, Mon May-20-19 08:09 PM
Clearly the Lakers are a dumpster fire of an organization right now.
Clearly Jeanie is in over her head.

But also?

Magic wanted all the glory with none of the work. He was part of the problem too. He’s not innocent by a long shot here.

Fire everyone.
2696719, bitchassedness...
Posted by Creole, Mon May-20-19 10:51 PM
My favorite player of all-time went on tv and did this.

Why not just keep your mouth shut, go run those other businesses that make you so much money, and act like an adult instead of a grown man who took lessons from IG generation?

DAMN!

He played himself!
2696725, Maybe I missed but did jeanie come to him with the job
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Mon May-20-19 11:53 PM
Or did he want it. Because if she offered it to him and he laid down what he could/couldn't give, then how is he at fault? That's on jeanie buss. I do think he sucked at the job though. Not a coach and not an operations guy. He's need to stay in his lane as the charismatic face of the company.

Rob should've been cool with Magic being the figurehead. Now all the attention is on him.
2696727, Rob learned from his client Kirby how to be a snake in the grass
Posted by FILF, Tue May-21-19 01:02 AM
>Rob should've been cool with Magic being the figurehead. Now
>all the attention is on him.
2696732, RE: Maybe I missed but did jeanie come to him with the job
Posted by LA2Philly, Tue May-21-19 01:32 AM
She did but at the time - and there's multiple clips of this - he said he was leaving his other businesses and focusing only on the Lakers. Today, he said different. He either lied or he's making up stories to save face.

As for Rob, it's one thing if Magic is a figure head but he was actually the final decision maker. On First Take, he essentially owned up to being the final decider on all the moves the team made after getting Bron - including the Zubac deal. I thought at least a handful of those deals were Rob's but after what Magic said makes his tenure look even worse.
2696736, I am talking specifically about him going on tv to give his side...
Posted by Creole, Tue May-21-19 05:51 AM
It was, simply, not a good look. He didn’t have to go on tv to talk about anything.

He came off like a whiny kid who got his feelings hurt because someone talked about him. He couldn’t handle the politics that happens everyday. So, he comes out to trash someone else when he could have just left well enough alone and continued counting his paper.

Should’ve gone to counseling instead since he seemed so hurt and bothered.

He played himself by quitting the way he did.
And now this.
2696731, It was a really bad look for Magic
Posted by LA2Philly, Tue May-21-19 01:29 AM
He's about himself first and foremost regardless of what he says and his story changes depending on the time. For example, today he said that he told Jeannie that he'd be in and out and still running his own business yet someone on twitter found two clips after he took the job (one on access Sportsnet and one on the radio) where he said he was leaving those other side businesses behind.

Dude is an extremely unreliable witness and now there's evidence he's lying. There's even more reporting that both Rob and Jeannie called him to ask about the backstabbing and he said it was all good...and then he went on air.

The reality is dude has never had any consequences for what he's said and that's the reality he lives in. Even after he straight up quit as PBO - even though he never did the job in the first place - he was still having dinner with Jeannie, media still fawning over him, etc. Dude is great as a figure head in a sports organization but he isn't ready for the grind nor is there any basic professionalism.
2696733, Why is Tim Harris involved in basketball decisions? And Linda Rambis?
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue May-21-19 05:23 AM
2696746, Maybe because Magic wasn't making them?
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Tue May-21-19 08:21 AM
By all accounts, he was an absentee executive. Jeanie shouldn't have been surprised by that bc he told her upfront that he would be and they brought in Rob to do the grunt work so Magic didn't have to.

But I'm sure she started questioning the relationship when the free agents didn't come and the team ended out of the playoffs once again.

So I get Magic being mad that his sweet deal had soured... but I don't see how he thinks fire-bombing the front office is good for the Lakers... unless he's trying to undermine the balue of the team to force a sale.
2696751, wtf are you talking about?
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue May-21-19 09:11 AM
>But I'm sure she started questioning the relationship when the
>free agents didn't come and the team ended out of the playoffs
>once again.

Last summer he signed the best player in the world as a free-agent.

>So I get Magic being mad that his sweet deal had soured... but
>I don't see how he thinks fire-bombing the front office is
>good for the Lakers... unless he's trying to undermine the
>balue of the team to force a sale.

It's not a good look for the franchise overall, but you can't blame the man for defending his reputation and telling his side of the story.
2696797, Let's leave out LeBron
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Tue May-21-19 01:43 PM
>>But I'm sure she started questioning the relationship when
>the
>>free agents didn't come and the team ended out of the
>playoffs
>>once again.
>
>Last summer he signed the best player in the world as a
>free-agent.

Mostly because we all know that LA was at the top of his list. At best, Magic just had to reassure him that they had a plan to build a winner around him. But pursuing LeBron wasn't exactly a tough decision.

What other accomplishments can you put on Magic?

>>So I get Magic being mad that his sweet deal had soured...
>but
>>I don't see how he thinks fire-bombing the front office is
>>good for the Lakers... unless he's trying to undermine the
>>balue of the team to force a sale.
>
>It's not a good look for the franchise overall, but you can't
>blame the man for defending his reputation and telling his
>side of the story.
>

His reputation is only slightly dented but I think he did almost as much damage to it Rob and Jeanie.
2696833, WHY?!
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue May-21-19 07:56 PM
>Mostly because we all know that LA was at the top of his list.
>At best, Magic just had to reassure him that they had a plan
>to build a winner around him. But pursuing LeBron wasn't
>exactly a tough decision.
>
>What other accomplishments can you put on Magic?
>l

So you wanna rule out his biggest accomplishment and focus on what he didn’t do? Coming in before he was even able to sign Lebron he had to get rid of terrible contracts signed by Mitch Kupchak for people like Mosgov, Deng & Clarkson.

We didn’t get a chance so see what he was going to do this summer.
2696866, Magic got LeBron and preserved cap space
Posted by DJR, Wed May-22-19 09:11 AM
Can’t ask for much more than that.

The owner is allowing dysfunction, and the GM was two-facing Magic. Magic isn’t blameless in how he handled it, but I’m not buying into any media spin here. I blame Jeannie first and the Fab Five’s practice bitch second.
2696741, LOL@the magic hit (hurt) pieces after his 1st take appearance
Posted by bentagain, Tue May-21-19 07:54 AM
The man got you Bron

He did his job.
2696750, My main question about this whole Magic debacle:
Posted by Numba_33, Tue May-21-19 09:08 AM
Did Jeanie Buss and other top Laker front office people freeze Magic out in terms of communicating with them privately? Why put the situation on blast in the public?
2697051, Rumor: Lakers hired Jason Kidd to lure Giannis Antetokounmpo:
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-24-19 11:38 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/rumor-lakers-hired-jason-kidd-143445754.html
2697076, lmao and supposedly the mavs drafted his brother for the same reason
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri May-24-19 06:14 PM
and blah blah blah blah blah.

giannis is not a potential FA until 2021 and he'll probably sign a supermax extension next year anyway. even if he doesn't, what are the lakers going to do? sign a bunch of one-year contract bums and wait for that? tell lebron to sit tight?

i think the lakers got kidd because 1) he's a brilliant basketball mind and 2) it gives them to promote when they shit-can vogel.
2697155, Kidd was signed because they want him to mentor Lonzo
Posted by justin_scott, Sun May-26-19 05:52 AM
And he clearly impressed the Lakers in his interview.
2697081, Kobe steady trying to sabotage Lebron’s career
Posted by Anonymous, Fri May-24-19 08:19 PM
2697082, Lol, I hadn’t thought about that angle
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-24-19 08:40 PM
2697334, But he is enough of a jack ass for it to be true right
Posted by Anonymous, Wed May-29-19 08:03 AM
Lol
2697152, RE: Los Angeles Lakers Off-Season Poast
Posted by El_essence, Sun May-26-19 01:39 AM
https://i.gifer.com/JhYP.gif
2697241, Whoo Buddy, The Lakers Sound Like A Real Mess
Posted by dula dibiasi, Tue May-28-19 09:51 AM
Whoo Buddy, The Lakers Sound Like A Real Mess

Barry Petchesky
Today 9:31am
Filed to: LOS ANGELES LAKERS

Call ‘em the Showtime Lakers again, not because their utter organizational collapse of this past season was fun to watch—though it was definitely fun to watch—but because they melted down with levels of violence and obscenity that belong on premium cable. Luke Walton is gone as coach, replaced with a third-choice hire, and then a fourth-choice hire for when LeBron James decides he doesn’t like the first guy. Magic Johnson is gone as team president, resigning in favor of his new job: Obvious Tweeter and Burner of Bridges. Rob Pelinka is still there. So is LeBron, and all of LeBron’s hangers-on. That feels like more than enough shit to clog the fan.

ESPN’s Baxter Holmes has a big piece this morning (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26821790/lakers-20-failed-reboot-nba-crown-jewel) with a wide remit—to determine what went wrong with the Pelinka/Magic/LeBron Lakers. The short answer is: So much went wrong, and at just about everybody’s hands, that it’s impossible to construct a single narrative from it. The executives were in over their heads. The power-seekers were indulged, not quarantined. The bosses were tyrants. There were too many cooks, all acting independently of each other and making sure they were insulated from any criticisms. Everyone, at seemingly all times, did what they shouldn’t have done, and made sure there was no one around to warn them that they shouldn’t do it. It’s all, frankly, a masterpiece of organizational rot—a well-run franchise couldn’t quickly achieve this level of dysfunction if it tried.

The Lakers, if it doesn’t become clear after reading Holmes’s story, or after, uh, paying attention to the entire last season, are not a well-run franchise. At well-run franchises, things like this don’t tend to happen:

In November, NBA commissioner Adam Silver and Maverick Carter, LeBron’s longtime business partner, met for lunch. James’ agent, Rich Paul, was seated at a nearby table, and at one point, approached Silver to complain about Walton, multiple sources familiar with the interaction told ESPN. Paul said he didn’t believe Walton was the right coach for the Lakers. Silver shrugged off the remark and asked whom Paul thought would be the right coach. Paul suggested Tyronn Lue.

Paul was also letting it be known through back-channel conversations, including those with reporters, that he wasn’t on board with Walton. Paul criticized how Walton allotted minutes to players and his inconsistent lineups, which were partly the result of injuries and suspensions. Members of the Lakers’ coaching staff became aware of those conversations and wondered whether Johnson’s heated meeting with Walton was influenced by Paul.

Oh hell yeah. That’s LeBron’s agent complaining to the commissioner of the NBA that he doesn’t like LeBron’s coach.

This, more than anything else—more than Pelinka’s obliviousness, or Magic’s bullying, or the weird, possibly incompetent Buss-Rambis bloc at the top—appears to be the through-line for so much of the Lakers’ misery. That the front office was so desperate to sign LeBron and to keep him happy that it’s afforded him and his people unprecedented power in the organization, to the alienation of just about everyone else.

Holmes stacks up the examples. How, the previous season, the Lakers let Kentavious Caldwell-Pope play in games while on a work-release program from prison, because, it’s implied, he’s a Rich Paul client and they wanted Paul happy in order to land LeBron. How the Lakers hired a bunch of LeBron’s friends to organizational jobs, including those of trainer, “personal security officer,” and something called “executive administrator, player program & logistics.” How Rich Paul was allowed to fly on the team’s charter flight.

While this may have kept LeBron happy, it reportedly played havoc with the rest of the team. It was an open secret that the entire roster was trade bait in the Lakers’ ultimately thwarted attempts to obtain Anthony Davis. Amid the rumors, players did not take kindly to the favoritism shown to LeBron and his agent.

Given those perceptions, one former Lakers player described Paul’s presence on the team charter as a “culture killer.”

“Coaches know Rich is trying to get them fired, and players know Rich is trying to get them traded,” said one agent with ties to the Lakers, who called Paul’s presence on the plane “destructive.”

The fallout may not end even when the A.D. derby does. ESPN reports that rival agents are wary of letting their clients sign with the Lakers for fear that Paul, with the access he has on the Lakers, will poach them away and sign them to his agency.

The defense, such as it is, for all of this is that it’s not new, that LeBron and his people were afforded similar preferential treatment in previous career stops. Therein lies the risk the Lakers took, and which appears to have backfired on them. It was all well and good to let LeBron functionally run a team when he was healthy and the best player in the world—that’s a trade-off most front offices make happily. But he’s 34 years old now, and surrounded by a flawed roster, and there’s not really much evidence that the folks nominally in charge really know what they’re doing. Winning may cure all ills, but the Lakers aren’t winning, and they have an awful lot of ills.

So, yeah, go read the whole thing.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26821790/lakers-20-failed-reboot-nba-crown-jewel

And don’t miss the Heath Ledger story.
2697247, Pelinka telling a story about setting up a meeting between
Posted by Marauder21, Tue May-28-19 10:44 AM
Kobe and Heath Ledger like a year after Ledger died was the highlight. That and him telling Luke Walton "uhhh actually I just called Golden State and they DO let their GM hang around the locker room, they started doing it after you left."
2697282, *facepalm*
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue May-28-19 01:59 PM
2697283, Seeing the video is just....*CRINGE*
Posted by Ryan M, Tue May-28-19 02:05 PM
2697312, Rob Pelinka must watch David Brent highlights for motivation
Posted by Nodima, Tue May-28-19 04:45 PM
The stories about him throughout this article were hilarious

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
2697317, That’s just really odd stuff
Posted by DJR, Tue May-28-19 07:35 PM
2697313, Ringling Bros.
Posted by Beezo, Tue May-28-19 05:08 PM
2697314, Man, what a shit show. No one involved looks good.
Posted by mrhood75, Tue May-28-19 05:14 PM
Not Johnson, not Pelinka, not Buss. I will say if an organization is rotten at the core, it's damn near impossible to do shit, so that starts with Buss. LOL @ Rambis' wife being the power behind the throne.
2697318, And the Lakers till have more championships than the Warriors will...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue May-28-19 09:02 PM
ever have so fuck off.
2697326, That and $3.5 million will get you a season of Michael Beasley
Posted by mrhood75, Tue May-28-19 11:17 PM
2697330, Haha
Posted by Cenario, Wed May-29-19 06:05 AM
2697327, lol. are you 6 years old?
Posted by PROMO, Tue May-28-19 11:34 PM
jesus.
2697331, How old is your mom?
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed May-29-19 06:56 AM
2697339, If she was alive, she would be 66.
Posted by PROMO, Wed May-29-19 10:38 AM
any other questions?
2697340, yeah why are non-Laker fans so interested in a Lakers off-season post...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed May-29-19 11:12 AM
when his team is in the finals he feels the need to come in here and say "ha ha you guys suck!" so yeah fuck him and anybody with him.
2697344, lol, this is a fascinating story about petty humans
Posted by pretentious username, Wed May-29-19 11:39 AM
i'm not even clowning, this is just sad... but what did you expect when a long ass report about how dysfunctional your team was came out? The finals doesn't start till tomorrow. People are gonna talk about it.
2697346, how do you take basketball this seriously and still be wrong
Posted by Stadiq, Wed May-29-19 11:47 AM
so much?

About objective facts? Like what a role player is for instance?

You love this shit so much you are swinging at anyone talking bad about the Lakers, but you consistently demonstrate how little you know about the league/game.

How do you pull that off? I've honestly never seen someone so passionate about something who knows so little about it.
2697348, I'm fascinated that you're fascinated.
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed May-29-19 11:50 AM
2697354, DK Effect nm
Posted by cgonz00cc, Wed May-29-19 01:06 PM
2697351, Dawg, you're really mad about this?
Posted by mrhood75, Wed May-29-19 12:18 PM
Right today, your organization is a shit show. I know, because my organization was a shit show about about a decade ago. So I know a little bit about a team with rotten ownership who delegates to a clueless front office that isn't able to do shit.

It's a fascinating story of people in charge with egos who can't seem to do much right these days. And no one involved can seem to shut up and let it pass.
2697355, More annoyed than anything, your organization has been relevant...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed May-29-19 01:07 PM
for half a minute and you’re trying act like you know it all lol
2697358, I mean, they're a dynasty.
Posted by Ryan M, Wed May-29-19 01:20 PM
They're also tied for 3rd all time in chips.

So...I wouldn't say all that.
2697365, no doubt, but about 6 years ago they were probably the 4 most relevant...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed May-29-19 02:15 PM
team in the state lol.

I'm not trying to take anything from the Warriors or their recent accomplishments but some of their fans are super annoying as are fans of most championship teams. Its part of sports, I'm not really sure why people are trying to make it out to be something else lol.
2697423, Those dark years earned me the right to talk my shit
Posted by mrhood75, Thu May-30-19 12:13 PM
The Warriors are building a dynasty and I'm sure going to get my money's worth while they're doing it.

If the Lakers find a way to make their resurgence, I fully expect Lakers fans to talk their shit too.
2697492, *tips cap*
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu May-30-19 02:26 PM
2697412, No, he's like 48, which makes that response worse.
Posted by B9, Thu May-30-19 10:03 AM
2697417, truth is my parents age?
Posted by Amritsar, Thu May-30-19 10:46 AM
I gotta check my tone
2697420, how old is your mom?
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu May-30-19 10:48 AM
2697422, Too old for you, but just barely
Posted by B9, Thu May-30-19 10:54 AM
By the way, thank you for your service in Korea.
2697646, LMAOOOOO
Posted by Amritsar, Sat Jun-01-19 08:04 AM
2697352, Starts and ends with Jeanie Buss...as does the article
Posted by bentagain, Wed May-29-19 12:58 PM
Article opens...

Jeanie is the one who brought these guys in

She's the one who fired Mitch

Article ends...

since her father passed, the LAL are tied with the NYK for the most losses

Now, there is no shortage of Dolan criticism

Folks outright calling for him to sell the team

and the comic relief of his public interactions when challenged

Why aren't folks keeping the same energy with Jeanie?

Are people afraid of being pegged sexist, etc...in the #metoo era...

Is that the reason she's not being called to the carpet?

As this article clearly lays out...all of the issues begin and end with her.
2697366, I fell like that's part of it...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed May-29-19 02:16 PM

>Why aren't folks keeping the same energy with Jeanie?
>
>Are people afraid of being pegged sexist, etc...in the #metoo
>era...
>
>Is that the reason she's not being called to the carpet?
>
>As this article clearly lays out...all of the issues begin and
>end with her.
2697413, it's just because people actually like her.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu May-30-19 10:13 AM

>
>Why aren't folks keeping the same energy with Jeanie?
>
2697325, Sheeesh, lebron such a locker room cancer
Posted by Cenario, Tue May-28-19 10:33 PM
2697647, let them tell it, if only he hadn't gotten injured at Xmas LOL
Posted by Amritsar, Sat Jun-01-19 08:05 AM
as if the chemistry wasn't fucked the moment the trade rumors started

2697761, If he hadn't gotten injured, the season ends way differently.
Posted by justin_scott, Sun Jun-02-19 09:57 PM
truth is the truth, regardless of how mad it makes you.
2697782, I guess the young guys' confidence would be magically restored
Posted by Amritsar, Mon Jun-03-19 07:55 AM
after being totally deflated by the trade talks
2697828, who are you even talking about? josh hart?
Posted by Kungset, Mon Jun-03-19 05:50 PM
Ingram played his best basketball after the deadline, and Lonzo was injured
2698134, Lakers were #4 WAAAY before that trade, but you know that
Posted by justin_scott, Thu Jun-06-19 07:23 PM
you just want to keep the agenda going.
2697493, some interesting takes in here, glad I stayed out of it lol...:
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu May-30-19 02:27 PM
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=107175&mesg_id=107175&page=
2697640, Byron Scott was shitty, Luke, slightly better, but still shitty.
Posted by justin_scott, Fri May-31-19 10:25 PM
2697874, Lionel Hollins joins the staff? Cool.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Jun-04-19 05:25 PM
2698132, and now Jeff Hornacek is rumored. Great coaching upgrade
Posted by justin_scott, Thu Jun-06-19 07:22 PM
win win win
2699415, ok after a lot of drama and foolishness we got what we wanted...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun Jun-16-19 09:59 AM
next steps:

The AD trade combined with the unfortunate injuries in GS has suddenly shifted the Lakers into the power seat for 2019 free agency.

We still have a lot of cap space, it may be slightly less than the max so that could possibly take some of biggest names off the top of the list if that's what they are looking for.

I don't see Kawhi taking a pay cut coming off a Finals MVP season plus after winning a title as "the man" I can't see he wanting to share the spotlight with Lebron and AD.

Kyrie seemed the struggle with the idea of being the 2nd fiddle to Lebron, would he really want to be 3rd behind Lebron AND AD?

Kemba is interesting, I'm not as high on him as some but he's going to be more wide open than he's ever been in his life and could flourish offensively. He is a concern defensively so would definitely have to be paired with a solid defensive 2 if we went that route.

There's some chatter that Jimmy Butler might be interested in coming back to the West. That would give us and elite perimeter defender and a solid scorer who like Kemba above will be more wide open than he's ever been in his life.

if we went with him Pat Beverly could be and option at PG along side of him.

There is also the option of bringing Rondo back.

Other free agent options to consider to fill out the roster:

Ariza is getting a little long in the tooth but still is a solid 3 & D guy...

I've always liked Marcus Morris and I feel like he could give us some needed toughness. If healthy his brother could be a cheaper option...

As I've said even though he was milk carton status at times in the Finals I like Danny Green as a solid 3&D guy with championship experience...

Mirotic is an interesting FA that would definitely provide some shooting...

I'm not sure if Brooke Lopez would be interested in coming back to LA...
2723275, A lot of the shit I said here was prophetic.
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Oct-12-20 10:39 AM
2699523, man stop playing...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jun-17-19 02:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdOplgJuHxg
2699564, we probably can land another big fish but what about Malcolm Brogdon?
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jun-18-19 01:32 PM
https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/most-likely-destinations-for-malcolm-brogdon-in-free-agency-01dbtknqmctn
2699568, Brogdon is solid
Posted by Mack, Tue Jun-18-19 02:09 PM
I'd like to see him on the Lakers. Would you play him at the point and look for a better 3 pt shooter to play SG?
2699570, RE: Brogdon is solid
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jun-18-19 02:14 PM
>I'd like to see him on the Lakers. Would you play him at the
>point and look for a better 3 pt shooter to play SG?

That's the thing I like the versatility he can play either one especially with Bron.
2700056, Depends on the price. If they can get him at a reasonable ticket, yes
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Jun-21-19 03:50 PM
A lot depends on if they can clear those two salaries and get a max guy or not. If they end up with the 23M-24M in cap space that they have now, I think Brogdon is a good target and they could probably add one more bench player, too.

Even if they clear the money, one would be tempted to split the money between Brogdon and one or two solid players rather than blow it all on a non-max max guy.
2700058, RE: Depends on the price. If they can get him at a reasonable ticket, yes
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jun-21-19 03:54 PM

>Even if they clear the money, one would be tempted to split
>the money between Brogdon and one or two solid players rather
>than blow it all on a non-max max guy.

I agree.
2699910, Lakers Reportedly Forgot to Free Up Cap Space in Anthony Davis Deal:
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Jun-20-19 02:11 PM
https://www.complex.com/sports/2019/06/los-angeles-lakers-anthony-davis-trade-salary-cap
2699913, Los Angeles Lakers: Why not having a max-slot is a good thing:
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Jun-20-19 02:16 PM
https://lakeshowlife.com/2019/06/20/los-angeles-lakers-not-having-max-slot-good-thing/
2700050, Melo should be a cheap pickup. Lakers should do that
Posted by 81 DUN, Fri Jun-21-19 03:17 PM
2700054, I wouldn't. The talk radio dummies here are in love with the idea
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Jun-21-19 03:46 PM
Let Carmelo go to China and get that money. No place for him in the NBA.
2700057, Honestly I never fully understood what happened with Melo in Houston...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jun-21-19 03:53 PM
I get it that he didn't fit in the rotation but was he that much of a "team cancer" that they didn't want him on the roster or did he asked to be released when he saw he wasn't going to get much playing time?
2700080, no thanks...
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Fri Jun-21-19 10:21 PM
you don't need 2 hall of famers on your roster who don't play defense..

2700086, What's with everyone playing Hollywood Shuffle w/Melo?..
Posted by CyrenYoung, Sat Jun-22-19 12:49 PM
..its one thing to accuse players of 'ring chasing' during the latter stages of their career.

Now we have the media & fans chiming in daily about teams that should sign Melo so that he finally has a decent shot at a ring?

1st Houston, now LA.

The Lakers don't need Melo.

What gives?

2700087, the Lakers need to acquire a lot of players
Posted by DJR, Sat Jun-22-19 01:09 PM
so hard to say what they do/don’t need at this point.

If Melo signs for the vet minimum - he’s a veteran who LeBron trusts and respects, who won’t be afraid of the moment. If he can still play reasonably well and fill a role, he could help.

Gotta see how the roster takes shape first IMO. There’s a lot of work to do and a lot of spots to fill.
2700512, https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/
Posted by CyrenYoung, Sat Jun-29-19 07:21 AM
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

notice anything?

2723709, 1 year later.....I would’ve rather had Melo than Green or Kuzma
Posted by DJR, Sat Oct-17-20 12:32 PM
come playoff time. Especially if we could’ve had him for Jared Dudleys salary slot.

Didn’t matter because we won. But wow, were Kuzma and Green ever aggravating in the playoffs.

Should look at Melo for next year if the price is right, IMO. He can still score.
2700489, Yahoo! Is reporting that Kawhi to meet with Lakers and Magic?
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jun-28-19 05:00 PM
2700494, he coming.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Jun-28-19 05:09 PM
2700527, DAT CLOAK
Posted by SeV, Sat Jun-29-19 01:28 PM

DALLAS LAKERICKS LETS GO!!
2700528, Lmao I’m so scared of DAT CLOAK right now
Posted by bshelly, Sat Jun-29-19 01:58 PM
2700586, The Lakers need to go after Beverley and Seth Curry
Posted by justin_scott, Sun Jun-30-19 04:42 PM
regardless of what Kawhi does.
2700590, fam yall really about to pull this shit off.
Posted by Reeq, Sun Jun-30-19 05:01 PM
https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/status/1145438322111549440
2700592, it's Broussard though
Posted by justin_scott, Sun Jun-30-19 05:06 PM
All these rumors, and most haven't' been true. BUT, the Lakers have to be frontrunners at worst, and after these last 8 years, this is exciting.
2700914, Broussard follows RDA......guess the source
Posted by FILF, Mon Jul-01-19 10:32 PM
2700715, The thing with waiting on Kawhi is it holds us up from making other...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jul-01-19 06:08 AM
moves, we still have to fill out the roster. A lot of the role players are getting snatched up.

Can we go over the cap to resign guys we had last year like Rondo and JaVale?
2700730, I don't see either of them coming back.
Posted by tariqhu, Mon Jul-01-19 08:37 AM
wish McGee would, but not too keen on Rondo.
2700855, No. We don’t have their bird rights.
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Jul-01-19 02:29 PM
Also while I agree many quality role players are gone I don’t think we could have gotten them anyway
2700865, We got Troy Daniels!
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jul-01-19 03:10 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/lakers-signing-troy-daniels-192409093.html

Lakers signing Troy Daniels
Dan Feldman
NBC Sports•Jul 1, 2019, 2:32 PM

The Lakers are dreaming big for Kawhi Leonard.

Their first addition in 2019 free agency doesn’t quite match that lofty goal.

Shams Charania of The Athletic:

Shams Charania

@ShamsCharania
Free agent Troy Daniels has agreed to a one-year, $2.1M with the Lakers, agent Mark Bartelstein of Priority Sports tells @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Daniels gives the Lakers an elite shooter to pair with LeBron James and Anthony Davis and does not affect the team’s cap space.

12:19 PM - Jul 1, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
2,065 people are talking about this

Troy Daniels‘ minimum salary is $2,028,594. I’m guessing he got that with favorable rounding in the reporting.

If so, Daniels won’t eat into the Lakers cap space. They can make all their other moves then exceed the cap to sign minimum-salary players.

A shooting guard, Daniels is a good 3-point shooter who should get open looks around LeBron James, Anthony Davis and maybe another star. Daniels does nothing but shoot, so a minimum salary looks about right. But the Lakers need minimum-salary players to fill their bench, and Daniels should fit well.
2700872, elite shooter. im w/ it
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Jul-01-19 03:35 PM
2700897, Uh, RDAmbition says Kawhi is a done deal.
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Jul-01-19 06:18 PM
And this guy's info has been nearly 100% accurate this offseason.

I'M TRYING not to get too hype but...I've gotten like no work done today with all the refreshing.
2700899, ric bucher was just saying kawhi was all set to sign with toronto
Posted by Reeq, Mon Jul-01-19 07:20 PM
for one year lol.

literally nobody else was saying anything anywhere near that.

2700902, What about rjc27 or whoever dude was that scooped the Gasol deal?
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jul-01-19 09:08 PM
2700905, Truly wild.
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Jul-01-19 09:12 PM
The internet was a smaller place then. I have to wonder what would happen in today’s climate with Reddit, Twitter, etc. dude had a damn scoop.
2700915, At this point I’m almost over Kawhi, let’s use our remaining...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jul-01-19 11:16 PM
cap space to build a solid supporting cast around Bron & AD
2700917, Stop it.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Jul-02-19 12:16 AM
2700932, LMAO
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jul-02-19 09:33 AM
2701002, I honestly feel like he and Uncle Dennis are just fucking with us and...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jul-03-19 05:45 AM
stringing us along to miss out on all the other free agents then they'll laugh about it as he signs with Clippers
2701136, Except there's absolutely no reason he would do that
Posted by justin_scott, Fri Jul-05-19 01:26 PM
2701073, I never really bought into Kawhi signing up to play 3rd fiddle...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jul-03-19 06:07 PM
to Bron and AD
2701131, Silver needs to block that shit.
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jul-05-19 12:58 PM
2701150, you sound pressed...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Fri Jul-05-19 03:44 PM
..and i'm not really sure why, when all you're required to do is wait.

2701151, we'll see...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jul-05-19 04:27 PM
>..and i'm not really sure why, when all you're required to do
>is wait.

you mean wait while other potential free agents we could be signing get sucked up and we're left with a g-league roster around AD and Bron?
2701152, who is even left?
Posted by Kungset, Fri Jul-05-19 05:17 PM
i might've agreed with you at the start of fagency, but Kawhi or bust has been the only option since like Monday
2701154, Danny Green for one although he appears to be waiting on Kawhi...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jul-05-19 06:27 PM
either way, I’d like Marcus Morris, he can play solid D, hit the 3 and bring some toughness.

We need to try to talk Darren Collison out of retirement.

I wouldn’t necessarily be against bringing back Rondo.

Quinn Cook might be an option.

I’m not quite sold on Cousins but he may be a possibility...

Ditto for Melo...
2701156, RE: you sound pressed...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jul-05-19 07:29 PM
>..and i'm not really sure why, when all you're required to do
>is wait.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kawhi-leonard-anthony-davis-trade-nba-free-agency-lakers-234109782.html
2701219, I knew he was fucking with us. All that “Let me talk Magic” bs...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Jul-06-19 06:55 AM
plus no was the league was going to let the Lakers have 3 of the top 5 players
2701224, haha
Posted by dula dibiasi, Sat Jul-06-19 07:02 AM
i bet uncle dennis was like, "ay ask him if I can fly on the jet, see what he say lol"
2701230, So far we got Danny Green, KCP & JaVale
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Jul-06-19 07:19 AM
2701233, Mavs “pursuing” all the same players we are to drive up the price
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Jul-06-19 07:23 AM
2701255, Post #222, I was right, he was playing us all along, using us to force...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Jul-06-19 09:33 AM
the Clippers to give away the farm to acquire Paul George.

He wanted to go the Clippers all along, the Lakers and Raptors were never a real option they were just used as leverage.

Uncle Dennis played it masterfully.
2701261, We NEED Marcus Morris, we need a goon, you always need at least...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Jul-06-19 09:48 AM
one live ninja on your team for when fools try to get chippy with Bron & AD
2701277, Marcus, Lance, and Boogie are outta that mob...
Posted by Creole, Sat Jul-06-19 11:39 AM
Who gets the call? Add Rondo to that list too.
2701282, I’m good on Lance, Boogie lets the opponent get in his head instead...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Jul-06-19 11:54 AM
of the other way around
2701283, Jared Dudley is there to do just that, IMO
Posted by DJR, Sat Jul-06-19 12:16 PM
2701281, I guess we got Quinn Cook too
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Jul-06-19 11:52 AM
2701285, I like it because he can shoot
Posted by DJR, Sat Jul-06-19 12:17 PM
Daniels too.

Signing a bunch of guys who can’t shoot last year didn’t work so well.
2701289, ^^^
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Jul-06-19 12:27 PM
It's so crucially important that their supporting pieces can shoot. They got Green and KCP too. Not a ton of value overall, but at least they're acknowledging last year's fuck up and correcting that mistake with these supporting piece signings.
2701287, I like that move, if only because it gets him tf away from GS
Posted by Dr Claw, Sat Jul-06-19 12:21 PM
GOOD
2701288, ThaTruth spoke his namesake, lol
Posted by Dr Claw, Sat Jul-06-19 12:21 PM
2701293, It just didn’t make sense, this man coming off Finals MVP and he’s...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Jul-06-19 01:09 PM
gonna come play 3rd fiddle to Bron and AD? It doesn’t make sense for anybody but especially Kawhi.
2701301, And yet you still won’t say who we should have signed to the deals they got
Posted by Ryan M, Sat Jul-06-19 01:44 PM
2701305, boogie on down
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Sat Jul-06-19 01:48 PM
2701306, The Kawhi thing sucks but
Posted by Ryan M, Sat Jul-06-19 01:55 PM
They’ve done a good job filling out the roster for depth.

KD was never coming.
Jimmy wanted to be the man in Miami.
Kyrie wanted to be with KD and not be with Bron.
DLo was intriguing but not sure he was the move.
Seth Curry got 4/40 and we weren’t paying that.

So yes, no 3rd star sucks but Quinn Cook, Boogie on a 1 year, Javale, Danny Green, Jared Dudley isn’t bad at all. The only signing I hate is KCP and that’s the Klutch tax.
2701308, RBO come back lol
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Jul-06-19 01:59 PM
2701320, I haven't been this excited as a Laker fan since 2010.
Posted by justin_scott, Sat Jul-06-19 03:05 PM
Other than KCP, Lakers are killing it. If remotely healthy, Lakers > Clips
2701323, RE: RBO come back lol
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Sat Jul-06-19 03:17 PM
http://78.media.tumblr.com/de12236fb82421f34b5effdfc26b4967/tumblr_p4qdv7X9Bx1u1ljrzo1_540.gif
2701311, I don’t love what we have. But I’ll go to war with it. Let’s get it
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat Jul-06-19 02:19 PM
2701324, That’s where I’m at
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Jul-06-19 03:18 PM
2701313, Trade question
Posted by justin_scott, Sat Jul-06-19 02:24 PM
This is only hypothetical, but Iggy makes $17M. Memphis wants a trade. Teams have to match that money right? So, hypothetically speaking, KCP and his $16M plus a 1st and 2nd round draft pick, would that work? Or could teams just offer draft picks? Not saying its likely, just curious.
2701326, RE: Trade question
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Jul-06-19 03:20 PM
>This is only hypothetical, but Iggy makes $17M. Memphis wants
>a trade. Teams have to match that money right? So,
>hypothetically speaking, KCP and his $16M plus a 1st and 2nd
>round draft pick, would that work? Or could teams just offer
>draft picks? Not saying its likely, just curious.

It’s my understanding that KCP’s deal is $16mil for 2 years as in $8mil per year.
2701334, Looks like Marcus Morris is going to Dallas so I guess we’re set...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Jul-06-19 04:06 PM
https://heavy.com/sports/2019/07/nba-free-agent-marcus-morris-lakers/
2701337, So I guess the depth chart is looking something like this...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Jul-06-19 04:21 PM
PG - Rondo, Cook
SG - Green, KCP, Daniels
SF - Lebron, Dudley
PF - Davis, Kuzma
C - Cousins, McGee
2701373, Looks like Alex Caruso is coming back too
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Jul-06-19 06:19 PM
2701339, now we know...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Sat Jul-06-19 04:27 PM
..and knowing is half the battle.

So The Clippers pulled off one helluva coup in trading for PG to secure signing Leonard. They bet the farm to do it, so you know they're preparing for a fight.

That leaves my beloved Lakers rolling with plan B to round out the roster and get to work.

AD, Bron, & Kuz are the heavy hitters on this squad, and I'll ride with that against any team in the league. Rondo & Cousins compliment a group of savvy vets, but they don't have the chemistry/experience/depth. They'll likely need to get out ahead early and work to maintain while patiently waiting to see what later piece develops (internal or otherwise) that they can snatch up to put them over the top.

'Til then, its time to go to work.

#LakersForLife

2701341, Sucks getting played but it is what it is. Good recovery
Posted by LA2Philly, Sat Jul-06-19 04:29 PM
Added some really good shooters and low risk pickups, all on two year deals to lure another max in 2021.
2701407, Rondo, Boogie, AD, & Vogel #BBN putting their Avias on your mom's table...
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Sun Jul-07-19 08:40 AM
for the 2019-20 season.
2701426, We on the same team now RBO. Let’s get it
Posted by LA2Philly, Sun Jul-07-19 01:16 PM
2723287, ****JUMPING HIGH FIVE****
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Mon Oct-12-20 11:17 AM
2701427, Really good cap maneuvering by Rob and co. Room exception still left
Posted by LA2Philly, Sun Jul-07-19 01:18 PM
My guess is we’re waiting on more clarity on Iggy’s situation and then will proceed from there. 2 year room for Iggy and the roster would be fucking brilliant.
2701447, Most exciting upcoming Lakers season since 2010
Posted by justin_scott, Mon Jul-08-19 02:01 AM
I would have rather seen KCP leave, and Danny Green got overpaid a few million, but Rob has done an amazing job in FA. Other than Troy Daniels, I extensively watched all these guys last year, and every one produced in meaningful ways. Korver would be nice. Iggy would be the icing on the cake. I still expect at least one more good signing. I'll take the Lakers over the Clippers roster all day.

Complete 180 from last year. Now the Lakers just have to stay healthy.
2701649, LeBron James Organizing Team Minicamp to Build Chemistry
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Aug-09-19 03:16 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2848774-lakers-rumors-lebron-james-organizing-team-minicamp-to-build-chemistry

Lakers Rumors: LeBron James Organizing Team Minicamp to Build Chemistry
MIKE CHIARI
AUGUST 7, 2019

Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James is reportedly organizing a team minicamp to be held in Las Vegas prior to the start of training camp in September.

According to Stadium's Shams Charania, James is hoping the team will bond and build chemistry by getting together a bit early:

Charania also reported that newly signed Los Angeles Clippers star Kawhi Leonard is working on forming a minicamp in Miami before training camp.

Considering how many personnel changes the Lakers have made during the offseason, minicamp could be a good way to get everyone acquainted and get a leg up on the familiarity that is usually built during training camp.

In addition to acquiring All-Star big man Anthony Davis from the New Orleans Pelicans, the Lakers went wild in free agency, signing DeMarcus Cousins, Danny Green, Jared Dudley, Troy Daniels, Avery Bradley and Quinn Cook.

They will join holdovers such as James, Kyle Kuzma, Rajon Rondo, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and JaVale McGee.

The Lakers have not reached the playoffs since 2013, and they are coming off a disappointing 2018-19 campaign that saw them go just 37-45 despite LeBron's arrival. Injuries to key players such as James, Brandon Ingram and Lonzo Ball were largely to blame for L.A.'s struggles last season.

If the likes of James, Davis and Kuzma can stay healthy this season, the Lakers are expected to be among the top teams in the Western Conference, along with the new-look Clippers, who are led by Leonard and Paul George.

Teams need every advantage they can get in a stacked Western Conference that includes other potential contenders such as the Golden State Warriors, Houston Rockets, Denver Nuggets, Portland Trail Blazers, Utah Jazz and San Antonio Spurs. A minicamp may be just what the Lakers need to get things moving in a positive direction.
2701799, ...aaaand Boogie is injured.
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Aug-15-19 10:29 AM
No idea the severity but if Woj is reporting it...
2701804, RE: ...aaaand Boogie is injured.
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Aug-15-19 11:58 AM
>No idea the severity but if Woj is reporting it...

Shams, not Woj, is reporting he has a torn ACL. Pretty quick turnaround in reporting if that's true. Normally you'd need an MRI report to diagnose that, correct?
2701806, the mri will confirm what the doc's
Posted by tariqhu, Thu Aug-15-19 12:33 PM
already know. they just do a couple of elasticity test and can tell when the acl is jacked.
2701809, he's finished.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Aug-15-19 01:30 PM
2701811, Yeah but I think he hurt it a few days ago, right?
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Aug-15-19 02:14 PM
2701812, damn
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Aug-15-19 02:34 PM
2701814, with him I thought we had a good shot
Posted by Kungset, Thu Aug-15-19 02:51 PM
without him, it's going to be a steep climb
2701817, I don't disagree.
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Aug-15-19 03:29 PM
But the reality is it's better for all parties to have this happen pre season. Boogie should take the year+ off and try to get better, like Kawhi did. If he has a chance to resurrect his career, he should take all the time he needs and a team will take a shot on him. It's so sad.
2701833, A healthy DMC was always a long-shot
Posted by LA2Philly, Fri Aug-16-19 08:55 AM
It will be a climb regardless and this just means AD will have to take more mins at the 5.
2701834, Lakers Rumors: Davis Won't Play 'Big Minutes' ...
Posted by Creole, Fri Aug-16-19 09:11 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2849870-lakers-rumors-davis-wont-play-big-minutes-at-center-after-cousins-injury

As the Los Angeles Lakers look to fill the hole created after center DeMarcus Cousins tore the ACL in his left knee Thursday, forward Anthony Davis reportedly will not see a major change in his role.

According to NBA TV's Jared Greenberg, Los Angeles does not expect Davis to play "big minutes" at center in 2019-20. Cousins—who signed a one-year, $3.5 million deal in the offseason after one year with the Golden State Warriors—may miss the entire season.

At 6'10" and 253 pounds, Davis could play the 5 and spent 96 percent of his time at center last season, but he told reporters the following: "I like playing the 4. I'm not even going to sugarcoat it. I like playing the 4. I don't really like playing the 5."

But he added, "If it comes down to it, Coach , and you need me to play the 5, then I'll play the 5."

Vogel said Davis would only do so "situationally."

Los Angeles added Danny Green, Quinn Cook, Avery Bradley, Troy Daniels and Jared Dudley (along with Cousins) to pair with AD and LeBron James this offseason, but those players don't offer much size.

JaVale McGee figures to start at the 5, but beyond that, rookie Devontae Cacok (6'7", 240 lbs) is the only other player on the roster listed as a center. Kostas Antetokounmpo and rookie Aric Holman are each listed at 6'10".

Of note, former Lakers coach Luke Walton experimented with playing Kyle Kuzma at center in a small-ball lineups last season. Otherwise, expect L.A. to add a big, and B/R's Greg Swartz outlined five guys who should top the list.
2701844, this whole "AD doesn't want to play center" thing confuses me...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Aug-16-19 02:08 PM
most teams basically play a version of "small ball" now anyway so its not like he's going there's a ton of big physical 5's in the league today anyway. You got who, Embiid, Jokic, KAT? those last 2 really aren't big post up guys, Gobert doesn't really do a whole lot offensively, who else is there? Drummond? Adams?

Is this another Tim Duncan thing?
2701819, fuck...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Thu Aug-15-19 04:47 PM
..really unfortunate for Cousins, knowing how determined he was to get back to 100% and compete for a ring.

Should be interesting to see what the Lakers do to fill that void.

2701821, Say hello to Dwight Howard. Again.
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Aug-15-19 05:13 PM
2701836, Hell no. Kenneth Faried, c'mon down! © Price Is Right!..
Posted by CyrenYoung, Fri Aug-16-19 11:25 AM
..he's young, healthy, can shoot, and is a perfect fit next to Davis.

2701890, Faried's not a 5, which Davis says he's not playing
Posted by Kungset, Sun Aug-18-19 10:40 AM
so he's not really a fit beside Davis. he would be a total liability on defense playing the 5. Dwight is a better fit
2701893, Dwight in the year 2019 is also a total liability on defense.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Aug-18-19 01:39 PM
If I’m an opposing coach, I put him in PnR literally every possession.
2701896, Fair enough, I haven’t watched him play in a long time
Posted by Kungset, Sun Aug-18-19 06:31 PM
I think he at least has a presence at the rim to contest shots. Faried doesn’t rebound either
2701895, today's 5 is yesterday's 4...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Sun Aug-18-19 03:22 PM
..Faried is lightyears better at the 4 or 5 than Howard today.

there is nothing you (or Dwight) can do to change that.

2701897, Light years? Okay
Posted by Kungset, Sun Aug-18-19 06:31 PM
2701913, I think people are a little too high on Faried and are remembering his...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Aug-19-19 09:52 AM
"glory years" in Denver like 4 or 5 seasons ago. Dude hasn't played much in the last few years and Houston barely used him in the playoffs last year.

A healthy Dwight Howard would be a solid backup to JaVale McGee which is all we would need him to be at this point.

Despite his apparent reluctance AD will probably end playing the 5 in a lot of lineups anyway.
2701916, the key word: HEALTHY...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Mon Aug-19-19 10:33 AM
..dwight howard isn't healthy.

2701919, is Faried?
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Aug-19-19 11:43 AM
2701935, goof troop recovering from surgery at age 33 is not the answer.
Posted by CyrenYoung, Mon Aug-19-19 02:38 PM

2701936, not saying he is but neither is Faried at this point in his career...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Aug-19-19 03:28 PM
at his peak he was nothing more than an hustle guy and age and injuries have robbed him of most of that hustle
2701937, Nobody available is the answer.
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Aug-19-19 03:32 PM
I dont know how I feel about Dwight but I do know Faried and Noah also wont be difference makers.
2701887, RE: Say hello to Dwight Howard. Again.
Posted by go mack, Sun Aug-18-19 09:44 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lakers-dwight-howard-demarcus-cousins-injury-135357446.html
2702029, hello
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Aug-23-19 05:02 PM
(I reaaaallllly didn’t want to be right)
2701832, Saw the video, he very likely wouldn’t have made it through the the season
Posted by LA2Philly, Fri Aug-16-19 08:53 AM
When a basic basketball move - in this case, loading the left leg for a right handed layup - results in an ACL rupture, it’s a huge red flag about physical viability. When I heard contact injury, I had some hope, but then I saw it...and he’s done.
2701839, Oh, no question.
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Aug-16-19 12:18 PM
It was a matter of time. I feel terrible for him, but he's got to just sit out this year and maybe next? I dunno. Will he be able to recover to a serviceable player?
2701855, I'm guessing no.
Posted by tariqhu, Fri Aug-16-19 09:33 PM
these injuries are hard enough, but even more so with his size. he wasn't back to his normal self after the first 2 injuries.

I don't even think he'll get another shot in the NBA. folks will be scared to sign him after 3 injuries in the span of 2 years.

sux, but its prolly time to hang it up.
2701877, I hope so but I don’t think so
Posted by LA2Philly, Sat Aug-17-19 04:09 PM
Like I said in the above post, when a basic move results in a severe injury it speaks to severe underlying problems. In this case, his active stabilizers (the muscles) aren’t working effectively and all the force is transferred to a passive stabilizer (ACL). Extremely red flag.
2702035, signing goof troop 😒
Posted by CyrenYoung, Fri Aug-23-19 07:23 PM
..I don't like it, but I understand why they're doing it.

Completely different circumstances this go 'round. Word is that he's humbled himself and is more than willing to accept this limited role.

I still dont trust him.

At least its a non-guaranteed contract.

2702036, Yeah first time he’s said this so...
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Aug-23-19 07:38 PM
>.Word is
>that he's humbled himself and is more than willing to accept
>this limited role.
>
2702037, Ugh. Hopefully he doesn’t fuck it up again
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Aug-23-19 07:51 PM
It’s his last shot
2704880, National Champion Quinn Cook out there hooping in preseason.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Oct-17-19 01:47 AM
A guy who will run PnR and actually MAKE OUTSIDE SHOTS. Lakers fans are going to love this dude.
2704887, if he and AB can consistently know down 3's from the pg spot that would...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Oct-17-19 08:07 AM
be huge
2704913, you still not officially a Lakers fan?
Posted by Kungset, Thu Oct-17-19 11:10 AM
i thought you got drafted already

>Lakers fans are going to love this dude.
2704917, ha, I do love my boy Quinn.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Oct-17-19 12:02 PM
I'll definitely go to a Laker game or two next year, and I'll root for them of the two local teams, obviously, lol. But if I'm going to bandwagon anyone, I've probably gotta bandwagon the Blue Orleans Devilcans. It'd be off-brand for me *not* to.

but yeah, if Quinn plays heavy minutes, I'm going to end up tuning in a *lot.*
2704944, Health withstanding, this team is going to be extremely good
Posted by LA2Philly, Thu Oct-17-19 09:19 PM
2723684, the L's in this post regarding Vogel/some of the signings is hilarious to read
Posted by blackfoot_female, Sat Oct-17-20 04:08 AM
2723692, I wasn’t sold on Vogel and talking heads on tv had everyone convinced...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Oct-17-20 09:25 AM
Kawhi was coming but I knew he wasn’t.

We need a new post for this off-season.
2723694, there are no Ls when your team wins
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat Oct-17-20 10:06 AM
2723701, ^^^
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Oct-17-20 11:30 AM
2723700, It is funny to read - but I was ultimately ok with Vogel (#113)
Posted by Vex_id, Sat Oct-17-20 11:23 AM
He proved to be even better than most best-case scenarios mapped out. I do remember his brilliant coaching job with the Pacers - so in the end that factored in majorly for me.

But alas, Bron makes a lot of questionable signings/move look brilliant in hind-sight, because he just makes everything & everyone better.
-->