Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectNBA 4/7/19 - Last Regular Season Game at Oracle Arena
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2692603
2692603, NBA 4/7/19 - Last Regular Season Game at Oracle Arena
Posted by mrhood75, Sun Apr-07-19 07:16 PM
And it's a pretty important game for both the Warriors and The Clippers. The Warriors win, they lock down the #1 seed, and get to rest everyone during the road back-to-back. And the Clippers lose, they're the #8 seed and only have one game left to play.

Regardless, kind of sad to have the last regular season home game at Oracle. I know the play-offs are still to come, but it just means it closer to the Warriors never playing here again. It's the home of many of my favorite in-person sports-related memories.

2692643, didn't realize Oracle was the oldest arena in the league
Posted by dula dibiasi, Sun Apr-07-19 10:33 PM
end of an era. sad to see it go.
2692656, Pre-renovation Oracle was my favorite sporting venue ever
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Apr-08-19 12:43 AM
Back when it was just the Oakland Coliseum. Yeah, it was pretty no frills, but that was a no frills era for basketball stadiums. And it was a no frills type of crowd who used to come out there.

I know commentators like to talk a lot about "Roaracle," but during the '80s and early '90s, whoooo boy did it get loud. Went to Game 3 in 1989, where we ending up sweeping the Jazz out of the first round (#7 over #2 upset) and they gave Mitch Richmond the ROY award. Man, it was PAINFULLY loud.

Definitely going to miss. I might have to try to buy some play-off tickets off of my homie, because I know realistically I'm never going to be able to make it out to the Chase Center to catch a game.
2692646, still hasn't sunk in that they're moving
Posted by sndesai1, Sun Apr-07-19 11:04 PM
i think the first game my dad took me to was in 96 against the bulls...years of misery at that arena (with a pitstop in sj) were soon to follow lol

damn i'm gonna miss that place
2692658, Man, the late '90s and early '00s were some dark days
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Apr-08-19 12:48 AM
I'm going to miss it very much too.
2692657, Got a little emotional watching the pre-game and post-game stuff
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Apr-08-19 12:47 AM
Shit, man, lots of memories.

That's why IF we do win this year, it will be the second most important for me, after #1.

And as for the game itself, I do enjoy watching them beat the brakes off of the Clippers. Looks like there's a chance the Warriors will have a few more chances, since the Clippers destiny isn't solely in their hands anymore.

Ah, the great rivalry that never was.
2692668, Pistons in free fall
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Apr-08-19 08:51 AM
2692700, that was cool seeing the Baron Davis jerseys
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Apr-08-19 02:29 PM
also cool remembering that Steph actually wore a version of them too

(still fuck Donkeylips)
2692709, Was surprised to see Steph wearing a Monta Ellis jersey on the way in
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Apr-08-19 04:19 PM
Considering how hard Ellis (and Stephen Jackson) worked to make Steph's life miserable when he first got there.

Good to see Steph being the bigger man.
2692706, Will they go back to the San Francisco name?
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Apr-08-19 04:05 PM
2692708, Last year they announced that they're sticking with Golden State
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Apr-08-19 04:18 PM
Which they framed as them continuing to acknowledge the team's history in Oakland.

But it's as much of a branding decision. They're globally known as The Golden State Warriors. Helps to keep the name recognition.

The team said they're also keeping the "Town" jerseys, and still will wear them on occasion in SF. Just like the team occasionally wears "The City" jerseys out here.