Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI would not take him over Barrett but it's a study in paths
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2691312&mesg_id=2692817
2692817, I would not take him over Barrett but it's a study in paths
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Apr-09-19 01:25 PM
I think the assumption is that Culver being older he should be more of a finished product. But I think he is still developing from a skill standpoint as well as a physical one, whereas Barrett, a freshman, has plenty of polish and maturity.

Let's also not fall into the trap of overrating big tournaments (NCAAs, World Juniors, Bowl Games, etc). Look at the whole body of work for both guys.

To me, Barrett is the kind of guy you win with, well-rounded and a gamer. He was also in Zion's shadow a bit. Culver was the main man on his team offensively. As such he didn't hold TT back but he didn't exactly power them forward either. He has a lot of tools though, very good size/length for a wing player, good feet, can put it on the deck to get shots up or drive, etc. I think he could be like a poor man's Joe Johnson in the league. Barrett, it's hard to say how big of a star he'll be but I think he could be a glue guy in a Battier/Iggy type role, and that's a valuable player.