Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectWe talkin' about Doc Rivers coaching his ass off in LA?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2690870
2690870, We talkin' about Doc Rivers coaching his ass off in LA?
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Mar-18-19 09:44 AM
Damn near all of their stars unloaded to other teams and they look ready to go. My dogg Landry God Shamet fitting in nicely over there.

even if they miss the playoffs they look like a good bet on a level up once Fagency hits.
2690871, he and Nate McMillan are definitely doing their thing
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-18-19 10:13 AM
2690876, I think we need to talk about how he's a Top 10 coach in NBA history.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Mar-18-19 11:52 AM
And by the time he's done, he's likely to be closer to Top 7-8. Almost 900 wins, 58% winning percentage over a 20 year span, over 50% winning percentage in the playoffs, two conference titles and a ring.

That's an *incredible* resume in the modern era of the sport, both the success and the sustenance over two decades.

No matter what your list is based on-- whether it's based on playoff success or sustained success-- you've gotta have Doc in there.
2690886, after Phil and Pop who’s ahead of him in the modern era?
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-18-19 12:02 PM
2690887, So there’s this guy... his name is Pat....
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Mon Mar-18-19 12:25 PM
2690888, lol
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Mar-18-19 12:32 PM
2690889, I appear like a #BBN vigilante righting wrongs
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Mon Mar-18-19 12:35 PM
2690890, Ok Riley then who else? Because I was just thinking top 10 is kind of...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-18-19 12:52 PM
low and I was thinking more like top 5.

It’s just a discussion.
2690891, LB Da Gawd. That’s all I got though.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Mon Mar-18-19 12:56 PM
2690902, what puts LB above Doc?
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-18-19 01:52 PM
2690909, All those wins... all those rebuilds.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Mon Mar-18-19 02:22 PM
2690900, It gets hard when you consider big winners with shorter tenures.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Mar-18-19 01:39 PM
I'm sure some folks on here would argue for Chuck Daly, for Rudy T, for KC Jones... shit, probably for Steve Kerr. He's already Top 5 in conference titles and Top 6 in titles out of *all-time coaches*. Some people won't want to give him the credit, but I'm sure some will.

Also worth noting that I said *all-time* for Top 10, so you obviously put Red Auerbach on there, and there may be a couple other guys worth noting-- again, probably with shorter tenures. If it was just the modern era, yeah, of course I'd have bumped that number higher.

I just think, whether you prefer guys with shorter careers but big playoff success, or whether you prefer guys with longer careers and more sustained success-- Doc belongs to the Top 10 regardless. And if you value the coaches who achieve both, then of course he's higher.
2690903, I could definitely see some of those...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-18-19 01:55 PM
>I'm sure some folks on here would argue for Chuck Daly, for
>Rudy T, for KC Jones... shit, probably for Steve Kerr.

I feel like KC Jones doesn't get enough credit
2690912, KC Jones *NEVER* comes up. It's all Daly, Riley, Feel.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Mar-18-19 03:05 PM

>I feel like KC Jones doesn't get enough credit

I wonder why?

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
2690930, he does come up and where did he have success other than boston?
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon Mar-18-19 05:06 PM
outside of the celtics he had one season of note at any level and in any role (he coached washington to the finals they lost in 75). same thing with tom heinsohn, who had a very similar level of success with boston as jones but never coached anywhere else.

in both cases there was a sense that auerbach was running the show much as he did from upstairs in 68 and 69. again i don't fully understand how that discredits either guy, but i don't think either has been overlooked.
2690933, Which team Feel ever coach without multiple all time greats?
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Mar-18-19 05:59 PM

Oh

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
2690936, was that even part of the discussion?
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon Mar-18-19 07:01 PM
that's kinda coming from nowhere but if you wanna look at it that way, pop and lb have both had successful teams with just one all-time great. rivers has gotten a lot out of teams that had no business approaching .500 (magic, clippers).

with jackson yeah he's always had great teams. great teams that won nothing before he arrived and became three-peaters afterward. these coaching arguments are really not your strong point.
2690929, I wouldn't have Rudy T. Jones is borderline top 10, let me think here ...
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon Mar-18-19 05:02 PM
It's hard to rate some current guys like Kerr, Pringles, Spo and Doc though Doc has a pretty big body of work now.

Red
Pop
Feel
LB
Riley
Hannum

That's six guys I would *definitely* have on the list. From there the aforementioned guys plus Daly, Jones, Holzman, Heinsohn, Sloan and Cunningham are kind of battling it out to me. It's kind of hard to differentiate them as making or missing the cut to me. With both Heinsohn and Jones there was always kind of the suspicion that they were an arm of Auerbach, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since they were successful and obviously anyone would have counted on his advice. Pringles not enough top-level success but then again that could have been said of Brown at one point and I'd still have had him top 10, and Sloan also never won a title. Kerr has only had one shot, I think I'll be more comfortable putting him here once he's had another job or a different group at GS. That same thing works against Billy C, but damn he did a helluva job and with some turnover there. There are probably some guys I am missing and I could hear arguments for like Lenny Wilkens and Nellie among others also. John Kundla is another one but that's before the time of anyone I know.
2690892, It's been incredible.
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Mar-18-19 12:57 PM
2690893, Nate or Doc = COTY
Posted by bentagain, Mon Mar-18-19 01:07 PM
I wish they'd move the awards to after the postseason

I have a feeling Bud or Malone are going to get it and flame out in the offs

Shouts to Doc though

Wasn't too long ago, erry talking head had SAC leap frogging their way into playoff seeding

Amazing job by him and his staff.
2690940, I would put Malone in there as well and i though he shoulda been canned last year
Posted by josephmurf2384, Mon Mar-18-19 07:47 PM
2690895, Doc got a bunch of dudes from the Y and got them BALLING.
Posted by Castro, Mon Mar-18-19 01:16 PM
2690906, NOPE!! BUDENHOLZER TURNED GIANNIS INTO A SUPERSTAR!!!
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Mar-18-19 02:08 PM

Jesus H. Christ

2690923, Another straw man torched, good work
Posted by theeraser, Mon Mar-18-19 04:28 PM
2690927, I mean he is definitely in the mix but I think Doc and McMillan are 1-2
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon Mar-18-19 04:34 PM
McMillan keeping the Pacers afloat with no Oladipo is remarkable because early in the year they weren't doing much with him not on the floor. Really solid job by that whole staff. I wonder if some of his assistants will get a look for head gigs, would love to see Popeye Jones get a shot.
2690932, No, its not close. This might be most lopsided race ever.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Mar-18-19 05:59 PM

Two people are very clearly doing the best coaching
job in the league.

Everyone else LMAO No

2690935, Going from 7th to 1st in the conference, man.
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon Mar-18-19 06:59 PM
I get it, you won't let the Kidd thing go but come on.
2690938, Bwahah. Bucks took Boston to 7 LAST YEAR. BETTER than the SIXERS
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Mar-18-19 07:38 PM

Bwhhahaa

They actually played Boston BETTER than the SIXERS DID

2690941, White dude takes best player to 60 wins. Shocking
Posted by bshelly, Mon Mar-18-19 08:03 PM
2690947, Wow, what a reach, fucking laughable
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon Mar-18-19 09:39 PM
you're getting worse at this over the years
2690956, Bwaha! Where's the lie!?!? Bucks took them to SEVEN. Sixers?
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Mar-19-19 04:46 AM
>you're getting worse at this over the years

FIVE.

2691054, LOL
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Mar-19-19 09:45 PM
By that logic the Sixers took Boston to 7 in 2012 and then Boston took Miami to 7, so they were all similar teams. They weren't, the Sixers were terrible and basically had lighting strike to get out of the fucking first round (best two opposing players injured).

No one, and I mean no one, is accepting such corny ass bullshit. Also funny how you continually duck the fact that teams get better after coaching changes. Yes, the Bucks are a MUCH better team this year, just like the Warriors have left dead-weight ass Mark Jackson behind to become a dynasty. Hold these nuts and hold those Ls, man, it's SO overdue.
2690925, The job he did last year was amazing, COY worthy, this year, too
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Mon Mar-18-19 04:32 PM
Arguably last year he had even less to work with given all the new faces and injuries they had. This year I thought the Harris trade was kind of a sign that they didn't GAF about the playoffs and wanted to keep their pick. Part of it has been an unwillingness of teams chasing them to win (cough Lakers cough) but they have also been playing really sound basketball. Shout out to my man Montrezl, too, loved the dude at Louisville and he's really taken his game to another level this year.
2694416, Man... look
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Apr-25-19 09:12 AM
2720314, A little too much ass if you ask me
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Wed Sep-16-20 12:57 AM
2720320, Real question, is Doc in jeopardy of losing his job?
Posted by calij81, Wed Sep-16-20 01:30 AM
Perhaps not fired but a mutual parting? He has been in LA for a while now and hasn’t been able to get the Clippers over the hump.
2720344, yes...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Sep-16-20 08:43 AM
>Perhaps not fired but a mutual parting? He has been in LA for
>a while now and hasn’t been able to get the Clippers over
>the hump.

They just signed him to a contract extension his black ass getting fired
2720349, RE: yes...
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Sep-16-20 08:51 AM
>>Perhaps not fired but a mutual parting? He has been in LA
>for
>>a while now and hasn’t been able to get the Clippers over
>>the hump.
>
>
>They just signed him to a contract extension his black ass
>getting fired

You left out the most important part of the extension; it was only for one year.

I have to think even Doc knew in that fourth quarter that he is pretty much a goner.
2720352, if he wasn't black i don't think it'd be a question
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Sep-16-20 08:56 AM
it'd be a bad look to fire the league's top black coach in this social climate, but he has more than earned it w/ his history of collapses and the joke shit they ran out this year.

this dude didnt make any adjustments for 3 straight games as his team just collapsed over and over. and then worst of all they quit. country club culture.
2720429, I think it would. 7 seasons, with multple all stars, no WCF
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Sep-16-20 03:19 PM
His team rebuilt after losing a trio of all stars by signing the reigning finals MVP and getting an MVP candidate in one night

Then he blows yet another 3-1 lead in the semis?

Nah. Very few coaches are staying after that.
2720435, and the stuff coming out after the game is NOT helping...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Sep-16-20 04:42 PM
y'all conditioning was shitty?? Poor chemistry?? Coach eatin all of that.
2720443, My question is... who on the market is better?
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Sep-16-20 05:50 PM
Or a better fit for this team.

Obviously I can't speak for Doc and what he wants, but I can't imagine he doesn't have his pick of available jobs next year if he does get canned.

IMO, he has one year left, as do Kawhi and PG, it's best to just ride out this group and let the chips fall where the fall.

If they can't pull it out next year- or show a significant improvement over this collapse- it's a wholesale rebuild either way. They're better off going in with continuity, unless there's something very serious beneath the surface
2720446, Calm down...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Sep-16-20 06:09 PM
>Or a better fit for this team.
>
>Obviously I can't speak for Doc and what he wants, but I can't
>imagine he doesn't have his pick of available jobs next year
>if he does get canned.

He’s black he will probably go on the shelf with all the other black coaches

>IMO, he has one year left, as do Kawhi and PG, it's best to
>just ride out this group and let the chips fall where the
>fall.
>
>If they can't pull it out next year- or show a significant
>improvement over this collapse- it's a wholesale rebuild
>either way. They're better off going in with continuity,
>unless there's something very serious beneath the surface

I don’t know if it’s possible but they need to try to flip PG for CP3. Your 2 best players having the personality of a rock doesn’t work.

Kawhi is from the Tim Duncan school of leadership where you let other guys assume most of that role.

In Toronto last year he had vets like Lowry and Ibaka who had been there plus a lot of younger guys that stepped up.

The Clippers were a mixed bag from the beginning and people expected it to all work when the playoffs started.

It’s not all Doc’s fault but he had a role and I feel like there’s something he could’ve done to win 1 of those games he just got out coached.
2720451, .....calm down? what about that wasn't calm?
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Sep-16-20 07:09 PM
What a stupid thing for you to say.

2720452, Trying to pretend like the playing field is level when it’s not.
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Sep-16-20 07:48 PM
2720455, what did I say that wasn't calm?
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Sep-16-20 08:06 PM
Please, point mto the un-calm portion of my post.

Then point me to the comment I supposedly made about a level playing field.

No projecting, no filling in blanks in things I didn't say with baseless extrapolation, no paraphrasing, none of that bullshit.

Point me to my those exact comments.
2720464, calm down = slow down, you putting so much into a figure of speech...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Sep-17-20 12:07 AM
and not the rest of what I said indicates you were not calm lol
2720466, Calm down =slow down" is even dumber then calm down
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Sep-17-20 02:11 AM
your header was thoughtless nonsense. it didn't stop there.

Your little post hoc rationalization doesn't change that.

You've been stuck in message board gimmick mode for so long you don't know how to have a sincere, sensible discussion. It's like you're using a stack of prewritten index cards instead of having an actual conversation.
2720468, okayplayer. n/m
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Sep-17-20 07:20 AM
2720460, I agree. Where is the obvious better fit for this team?
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Sep-16-20 09:28 PM
2720662, I'm honestly not in here advocating for his firing...
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Sep-18-20 06:21 PM
just saying with the way they went ALL in on this season, the expectations, all the critics exalting them...only to not only miss on even making the conference finals...but, to do it in that manner. Losing 3 straight elimination games. Being this isn't even Doc's first time doing THAT, with a totally different roster...would it blow you away if you saw a breaking news flash that Ballmer let him go?
2720692, also...they flipped the team instead of the coach when things got stale
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sat Sep-19-20 10:22 AM
that sounds insane in today's NBA, but hes coached CP3, Blake, Kawhi, and PG all in their legit primes.

the way he has been treated in LA has been pretty good

also...that first time he blew 3-1 was really personally satisfying after his team mouthed off to the media. after the Pistons absolutely trounced them in game 5 i knew exactly where that was headed
2720376, He should be fired.
Posted by khn, Wed Sep-16-20 10:44 AM
Love Doc but overseeing such a historically embarrassing collapse means you get canned.
2720355, Did Doc always let his assistant run the defense?
Posted by Beezo, Wed Sep-16-20 09:07 AM
2720411, this was pre-Kawhi and PG13. Clippers played way better last year
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Sep-16-20 12:59 PM
and they didn't even have the "elite" talent

NyQuil is contagious
2720659, Dissecting the collapse, defending Doc
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Sep-18-20 05:34 PM
Doc is catching a lot of heat here. I still defend him. I think he tried to do a lot of the right things this year but they didn't work out because of the personnel, mostly.

I know that sounds strange given the talent and depth they had, but let's look at some things.

First, this weird platoon point guard situation. You're not making offense/defense substitutions that frequently but their situation demands it constantly. You have two guys who each play only one end of the floor, essentially, and neither one is a traditional point guard. At some point Rivers began trying to make Beverly the extension of him on the floor, have him become more of a real point guard who ran the offense and contributed more himself. That didn't really work in my opinion, and it was a tough experiment given that Beverley is hardly a young player to be molded. They could have run Kawhi more as a point forward, I guess, but overall this team didn't have a clear leader offensively. That hurt them. PG also sucked in another big game, but why did they even get to a Game 7 here?

Second, let's look at their defense. On paper, it has two DPOY caliber guys, a perimeter stopper and several players who are at least adequate. Only Williams you'd say is a poor defender, Shamet a work in progress, etc. But that doesn't mean you have a good defense. I saw them during the year where their D was flat out terrible, unable to guard the three-point line and not much better inside. The first thing there is that they don't have an elite or even adequate rim protector. No matter how good your wings and ball-stoppers are, it's really hard to equal or compensate for a top guy in the paint. From there, they never really jelled defensively and that brings me to my third and final point.

Lastly, you had a team that was constantly putting guys on minute restrictions and otherwise load managing. The pause may have taken away from the impact of regular-season workloads and decisions for some teams, but in my view the Clippers' approach was so exaggerated or at least extensive that it still affected them. They never clicked on D consistently and moving up guys to playoff rotation minutes did not appear to take well at all. It was a lack of chemistry, in part, but also a lack of rhythm.

Obviously I understand most if not all of these shortcomings are Doc's responsibility to some degree, but we are talking about winning the title here, a very difficult task with a tight margin for error. It's hard to overcome fundamental flaws like these.
2720836, I feel like the main problem was neither Kawhi or PG are really vocal...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Sep-21-20 09:10 AM
leaders, they always had others to play that role on past teams.

And then not having a traditional point guard hurt. Sure they had multiple guys who can dribble and pass but nobody who's primary concern was to get other guys shots. PG's struggles shouldn't have lasted more that 1 game.

These days a lot of teams seem to be going away from the traditional point guard role with mixed success. Obviously it works for GS because they have a unique player like Draymond. Even with the Lakers even though Bron is the default point guard its nice to have Rondo. You see Malone in Denver giving some other guys run because as good as Murray is he can be out of control sometimes and shoot you out of a game.

In the East semi-finals I loved watching Lowry and Smart grind it out.

Miami is interesting because of how they play. They have Dragic who is a vet and has been balling. I think Kendrick Nunn is trying to work his was back into the rotation. In Boston Kemba and Smart kind of share the role not unsimilar to the situation in Toronto.
2720687, I can’t understand NOT playing PG or Kawhi on Murray
Posted by bentagain, Sat Sep-19-20 04:05 AM
Can’t say I watched every game

Thing that stuck out to me IRT Game 7

Murray was cooking in the first half

Why not give PG or Kawhi that assignment in the 2nd half?