Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDoes Marwin Gonzalez at 2/21mm do anything for you?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2688398&mesg_id=2688745
2688745, Does Marwin Gonzalez at 2/21mm do anything for you?
Posted by Walleye, Fri Feb-22-19 02:53 PM
I could barely complete that ridiculous question. I mean, if he bumps Adrianza that's actually a really nice bench upgrade. But that doesn't move the needle by more than 1-2 wins this year.

I know Manny Machado wanted to play shortstop, but this team has like zero big dollar commitments beyond this year and, with the liminality of Sano/Buxton's careers right now - nobody they're really looking at right now like "it's gonna cost us to keep that guy."

Throw an extra few million to convince Machado (who seemed pretty clearly intent on getting as much money as possible) to play third and you're looking at:

Polanco, SS
Kepler, RF
Machado, 3B
Sano, 1B
Rosario, LF
Cruz
Schoop, 2B
Garver/Castro, C
Buxton, CF

... which feels like something to get excited about. And I know the Twins aren't usually deep sea fishers when it comes to guys like Machado but this FA season was obviously incredibly weird in having two MVP-caliber talents who are freely available for only money and are entering rather than exiting their prime.