Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectPaul Ricard may have been worse than China. Petronas can't be stopped
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2688365&mesg_id=2700136
2700136, Paul Ricard may have been worse than China. Petronas can't be stopped
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Jun-24-19 10:12 AM
They were dominant all weekend and Lewis cane withing milliseconds of a grand slam, were it not for Vettel putting on the softs for his last lap (and then just barely got the time from Hamilton on worn hard tires). This week's race in Austria, Monza, and maybe Spa may be the best (or only) chance for Ferrari to get a win baring mechanical or driver error on the Silver Arrows squad. Not sure if a team has won every race in a season before, but Mercedes can gun for it.

From a competition standpoint, I can see why fans may be disappointed. If I know my team/driver has zero chance of seeing the podium, and that team and driver will end up on top every weekend, I'd check out too. Even trying to watch F1.5 (everybody behind Mercedes, Ferrari and RB) is difficult, as the teams can't seem to figure out who wants to make that next step (or even be the best of the rest). After this weekend McLaren may be in that spot, but seeing the regression Renault, Racing Point and Haas have taken, Afla being in a tailspin and Williams just sucking....it's a hard product to watch sometimes unless you're a Mercedes fan.

On the flipside, every team has the same regs and deal with the same issues. Teams can complain they don't like the thin tires, but every team has to use them. Figure it out like Mercedes, or lose. Every team knew the engine regs were coming. Mercedes got it sorted out first and have been mollywhopping the field. Everybody knew the areo changes for each year. RB traditionally had a leg up on that, but Mercedes isn't a slouch there, and have a better engine, so a more complete package for more of the tracks. That's not exactly their fault. You could argue resources, and that's valid. You could argue driver, and that too may be valid. But it's not like Ferrari doesn't have a crapton of money to spend, and RB isn't a slouch either. There's always going to be a dominant team. Right now, it's Petronas. Won't be that way forever.