Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectyou can tell Zion Williamson loves basketball
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2687286
2687286, you can tell Zion Williamson loves basketball
Posted by Tiger Woods, Sun Feb-10-19 01:34 AM
Coming off the heels of how he bullied Virginia today...

I'm actually confused by this kid because I know he's raw and relying on his athleticism, but I've also never seen a dude that big with a game like that. Guy looks like Chandler Jones but he balls like a motivated Rasheed Wallace. I don't even know what I'm looking at.

The reason he has legitimate hall of fame potential ALREADY is because you can tell he just loves basketball. Some piss-ant blog dorks will manufacture some petty knocks on him before the draft, it always happens, as unfounded as these criticisms often are. But one thing you will not read come June is that the kid is passive about the sport. With his size, he doesn't need to shoot like he does or be as committed around the rim. You can't willingly compete that hard at that size if you don't love what you're doing. Wait until he gets into a pro system that helps nurture his skills and oversees his nutrition. He's going to buy in, harness that violence some, and fuck the league up for like 15 years.

He's the most obvious prospect since Lebron. This is Len Bias "sure thing" territory.

And this is coming from a dyed in the wool Terps fan.
2687288, Craziest part is this was probably his worst game of the season.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Feb-10-19 01:45 AM
But as you noted, he just never quits. There've been ACC games where we're up twenty five in the second half, and he fucking DIVES across the floor for loose balls. Why does he do this when his body is worth millions and the game is in hand? Because he just loves to fucking win.

He and Barrett both. And you can tell they LOVE playing with each other too. It's just so fun to see, this team. The team's shooting is streaky, where they'll miss everything 2-3 games straight and then fire off a beauty like this game or the game at Notre Dame (they've weirdly shot *much* better on the road for reasons unknown), but Cam Reddish looks like he's really coming into his own on the offensive side too.

But yeah. Zion, man. Just a privilege to watch him play in my alma mater's uniform. This sort of talent won't play college ball in a couple years' time.
2687289, He scares me, can he adjust his game once he realizes he can’t...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun Feb-10-19 01:47 AM
throw his body around like that on a regular basis in the pro’s?
2687290, He's shot over 40% from 3 in conference play.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Feb-10-19 01:51 AM
Assist rate has also gone notably up in conference play. As the defenses have gotten tougher during the season, he's been notably adjusting.

Not to say the dude should be jacking up midrange 2s, but I went into this season thinking all he could do is play above-the-rim bully ball, but he's got *way* more skill in his game than that.
2687298, Right I know he can shoot, I just wonder what his game will look like...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun Feb-10-19 07:53 AM
when he’s not flying around all the time.

Will he be Blake Griffin? Who’s still a very good player but nothing like the physical force of nature he was when he first came into the league.
2687311, at worst? draymond green in the juggernaut's body.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun Feb-10-19 11:42 AM
im expecting far far better things from him though.
2687295, He reminds me of a Durham legend
Posted by b2thej, Sun Feb-10-19 06:20 AM
That didn't play for Duke. His game reminds of young Rodney Rogers. His handle is better but the way he is built along with his explosiveness just reminds me of him and he's left handed.
2687305, YUP. His game does resemble Roger's...
Posted by Castro, Sun Feb-10-19 10:56 AM
2687411, Rodney Rogers was smooth as hell on the court for a guy his size. He even...
Posted by Creole, Mon Feb-11-19 10:46 AM
bullied with style.

It would be nice to see Zion's game come along that way.

This could definitely go the wrong way, a la Oliver Miller, if he eats too many cheeseburgers and doesn't go to the most stable place where his talent and game can be groomed for long-term success.
2687427, his leaping ability kind of reminds me of Antonio McDyess
Posted by DeepAztheRoot, Mon Feb-11-19 12:47 PM
but Dice was never that big
2688076, sorta similar build & lefty game but he's way more explosive than Rogers
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Sat Feb-16-19 12:47 PM
2687366, I'd like to see him next to Ayton in Phoenix
Posted by DeepAztheRoot, Sun Feb-10-19 09:11 PM
Lost in all the talk of the terrible PG situation in the desert there is the fact that they don't really have anyone at PF either. Bender isn't the answer and the only hope is probably trying to pry Gordon from Orlando.

Even with Robert Sarver being a meddlesome owner, I'd think there would be interest in playing with Booker, Bridges, Williamson, and Ayton from a competent PG on the FA market or by trade.

TJ and Jackson are probably available along with Milwaukee's pick
2687493, Anywhere but that shit hole...hopefully The Knicks,
Posted by isaaaa, Mon Feb-11-19 09:01 PM
I'd like a marquee guy in the marquee city.

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com
2687589, The Knicks aren't a shithole?
Posted by DeepAztheRoot, Tue Feb-12-19 03:54 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA (c) OE

2687414, I hate Duke but that dude cold as hell
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Feb-11-19 10:59 AM
Dude is huge but agile as hell...

Does he have a weakness?

Seems like these kids are scared of him.
2687429, Only knock thus far is his release is a little slow
Posted by The Real, Mon Feb-11-19 12:52 PM
I think once he gets to the NBA, he'll probably slim down some.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2687431, Right. One of the most likeable kids you’ll meet.
Posted by Beezo, Mon Feb-11-19 01:13 PM
>Dude is huge but agile as hell...
>
>Does he have a weakness?

Weak off hand, always comes back left . But hey..stop
it. Outside shooting which will improve.
>
>Seems like these kids are scared of him.

They are.
2687418, on top of the love.....he takes pride in playing
Posted by tomjohn29, Mon Feb-11-19 11:29 AM
the effort he puts out....is kind of unreal for someone who has his type of hype
reminds me of KG without the studio part
2687857, That's going to get tested majorly in the pros
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Feb-14-19 09:45 AM
across the 82 game length of the regular season, plus he might go to a deplorable situation depending on who drafts him, so I would imagine his first year will have it's challenges on a mental level.
2687860, I guess
Posted by Tiger Woods, Thu Feb-14-19 10:33 AM
I mean yea it will be a grind and his squad will probably suck, but he has more dog in him now than dorks like Nerlens Noel and Jahlil Okafor ever showed

There’s big prospects in the league now who have never shown a willingness to compete as hard as Zion does right now (like Lonzo Ball for example)
2687881, To be fair, that's *every* prospect. Including guys with way lower motors.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Feb-14-19 01:05 PM
Wouldn't you rather have the guy putting his heart into it on every play in college than the guy who coasts through games? Which guy would you bet on sustaining better over the course of a rigorous NBA season?
2687885, I am a Knicks fan, that should already tell you
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Feb-14-19 01:43 PM
who I want in the draft, but at the same time, I'm going to temper my expectations for this dude because the learning curve is going to be somewhat steep depending on who he plays with since where ever he ends up may or may not be a toxic trash heap, my Knicks included.