Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectAnthony Davis is my man 100 grand. But he handled this poorly.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2687113
2687113, Anthony Davis is my man 100 grand. But he handled this poorly.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Thu Feb-07-19 04:37 PM
It’s not as bad as the Kawhi situation in my eyes, because AD wants to play.

But he should’ve done better.

And no, you can’t blame only Rich Paul or Lebron, because Anthony chose his agent.

Yes, it’s his free will to go and play for another team. I fully support that. I’m also believe the Pels made some poor front office decisions. As well as some risky ones to make AD happy. So they’re not completely at fault.

I also believe he’s a great teammate and he means well. His intentions should not be questioned.

But I do think he went about it the wrong way.

It can be “your time” to go, when it’s your time and you’re a Free Agent. It’s not your time, because you or your camp says so.

Now he has to live with this shitshow for however long it takes.

And that sucks.

I know the Pels have really great fans. And they don’t deserve this. And AD thought it’d be easy, because people probably overplayed their hands.

He has to be smarter about this shit. Other players will try to use you and dangle whatever carrot in front of your face to improve their own legacies.

AD will be great wherever he plays. That’s without question. And he will play hard wherever as well. But if you’re tired of losing, buck up. Bring the dogs to you. And ball out. He also need to make sure he goes to an organization that gives him input. He’s great enough for that type of respect. And that’s where I feel the Pels fucked up.

I’m not sure he’s ready for the type of scrutiny it’s going to put him under.

And again I don’t care if he plays for the Lakers, Knicks, Kings, Hoop it Up with The King & Duck at the beach. That’s my dude.
2687114, Huge cosign
Posted by bshelly, Thu Feb-07-19 04:40 PM
2687115, I agree.
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Feb-07-19 04:48 PM
>It can be “your time” to go, when it’s your time and
>you’re a Free Agent. It’s not your time, because you or
>your camp says so.

especially this part.
2687116, Ultimately he'll be fine, but this was a bad look
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Feb-07-19 04:52 PM
Thing is, even with the shorter attention spans, stuff like this seems harder to shake these days.

Assuming he does get traded this off-season, he'll probably helped some team contend for a chip, and that will help.

I honestly don't know what happens the rest of this season. Said in the "AD requests trade" post, but I gotta imagine him and the Pels FO sit down and hash out exactly how the rest of the season plays out, if he leaves the bench, or if the league will even "let" the team bench him until summer.
2687119, I dont get it
Posted by Cenario, Thu Feb-07-19 05:18 PM
You can be traded, but cant request a trade?

If he was willing to play (which it apppears he was) whether he was traded or not, whats the problem?
2687123, RE: I dont get it
Posted by bentagain, Thu Feb-07-19 05:29 PM
https://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/lebron-james-lakers-bench.jpg?w=640&h=360

It's not just about you (AD)
2687126, Requesting the trade ***right*** before the deadline was the bad look
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Feb-07-19 05:35 PM
The Pels' season went in the shitter early on. They started hot, then dropped six in a row. Didn't get better from there. By mid December, anyone could see which was the wind was blowing. If he had talked to the organization and requested a trade at that point, there's a good chance the perception would have been different, even if the result was the same.

Requesting it less than two weeks before the deadline created a mad rush to get it done that ended up rubbing everyone the wrong way. It doesn't help that the perception is that this was Rich Paul's plan as soon as AD signed with Klutch.
2687121, SHOULD'VE HANDLED IT BETTER
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Feb-07-19 05:22 PM
lebron - waited until his contract expired, took his time and announced on national tv

kd - announced he'd extend in a tweet. when his extension expired, made the best strategic decision for his future.

anthony davis - told his team he wouldn't sign an extension with plenty of time for them to make the best deal whenever they want to.

there is no good way to handle this that will make people happy, let's stop pretending there is and that players are simply choosing the wrong way.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
2687125, IMO...it just shouldn't have been made public
Posted by auragin_boi, Thu Feb-07-19 05:33 PM
Have your agent tell the team you want a trade. Give them your list in order of preference. Tell them you won't sign an extension anywhere else and let them handle business behind the scenes or let them make it public.

I also think he should have done it in early January so they could have had more time to shop. I don't think he was for 'public' sentiment, that was likely his agent but he signed off on it so in that sense he's responsible.

I think if it was a private request, they would have moved him.
2687127, Pretty much. You can’t make a public announcement...
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Thu Feb-07-19 05:42 PM
close to the trade deadline with a limited amount of preferred destinations and then hope it all works out for the best.

That’s a lot of grenades.