Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI watched him live multiple times. This is accurate. And you can see it.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2679233&mesg_id=2679271
2679271, I watched him live multiple times. This is accurate. And you can see it.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Nov-18-18 02:34 AM
In that loss to Iowa, he made 1/3rd terrific plays and 2/3rds terrible plays.

I hate the Porzingis comparisons, mostly because Porzingis played professional basketball since... what, age 16? Meanwhile, I saw Bol at Mater Dei his senior year in three different games, and it was always the same-- he'd come alive for like five or six plays, and then he'd either disappear or be a net negative the rest of the game. At least one game in HS, he got benched because he couldn't defend capably-- and we saw that at the end of the Iowa game too. So I simply can't trust him to have a Day 1 Porzingis impact because of the sheer difference of competition they faced.

Bol's skill is INSANE for his size, and I'd still draft him fairly highly on potential. But Porzingis came in polished largely because he'd faced, what, 2-3 years of professional adult athletes? Meanwhile, Bol sleepwalked through high school and he's been caught sleeping more than once this season. He BEASTED Syracuse's zone, but that simply hasn't been consistent.

I wish he didn't play in the fucking Pac-12, because I'd love to see him face real competition consistently (and I'd love for it to be televised). He was at times jaw-droppingly bad in the Iowa loss, but he crushed Syracuse nearly singlehandedly. That's the lows and highs of Bol Bol. They're really low and really high. I don't know where you take him yet. But the motor thing is very, very real. He's crafty, smart, and incredibly skilled for his size-- but until he plays several games in a row without disappearing and/or having net negative stretches, he's hard to trust.