Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectMaryland *reinstating* HC D.J. Durkin
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2677362
2677362, Maryland *reinstating* HC D.J. Durkin
Posted by will_5198, Tue Oct-30-18 08:30 PM
a kid DIED under his watch while the head trainer told everyone to "drag his ass across the field." Maryland president Wallace Loh is going to take the blame and retire next June. Durkin returns after 3 months of paid leave and no further action will be taken.

what in the entire fuck.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25128085/maryland-board-recommends-keeping-dj-durkin-damon-evans

"We believe that Coach Durkin has been unfairly blamed for the dysfunction in the athletic department," USM board chair James T. Brady said at a Tuesday news conference. "While he bears some responsibility, it is not fair to place all of it at his feet."
2677363, Between this and the Rutgers player plotting to murder people....
Posted by DJR, Tue Oct-30-18 08:34 PM
the Big Ten has to be just overjoyed with those conference expansion decisions today.
2677364, Durkin's 10-15 career head coaching record
Posted by will_5198, Tue Oct-30-18 08:40 PM
definitely worth not firing him

here are two gems from the investigative report:

"Multiple players anonymously complain that the coaching staff would subject teams during meal time to disturbing videos. According to Gus Little, this included videos of serial killers, drills entering eyeballs, and bloody scenes with animals eating animals."

Maryland did "not have a toxic culture...but a culture where problems festered because too many players feared speaking out."

so the head coach is unfairly blamed for letting the strength coach go wild? does the strength coach run the program or Durkin? if either answer is yes, Durkin should be fired
2677371, this is supposed to help anything football related...how?
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue Oct-30-18 09:25 PM

>"Multiple players anonymously complain that the coaching staff
>would subject teams during meal time to disturbing videos.
>According to Gus Little, this included videos of serial
>killers, drills entering eyeballs, and bloody scenes with
>animals eating animals."
2677373, I mean they were doing just fine without them
Posted by Call It Anything, Tue Oct-30-18 11:46 PM
>the Big Ten has to be just overjoyed with those conference
>expansion decisions today.

Penn State was the reigning undisputed conference champion of moral abomination and then Michigan State made a run at the title this year. Ohio State made some noise this summer but can't really hang with them.
2677366, RIP Big Jordan. Knew this kid personally and know his parents.
Posted by Beezo, Tue Oct-30-18 09:04 PM
I feel for the family. The press conference earlier today by the board was a damn joke.
The football program won’t ever be shit. Who the hell would send their kid there after this?? I’m hearing some students are planning a rally sometime this week.
2677370, damn.
Posted by will_5198, Tue Oct-30-18 09:24 PM
it's too fucked up to even process. glad a few starters walked out of Durkin's "welcome me back" meeting.
2677367, Even for 2018 this is mind boggling
Posted by Marauder21, Tue Oct-30-18 09:11 PM
I would say this is an example of a school valuing the well being of it's football program over the well being of it's students, but he's not even a successful coach. They're not even valuing *that* this is just inflicting pain.
2677368, people will justify anything...fuck them
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Oct-30-18 09:15 PM
2677374, Burn it all down and hire Bob Wade
Posted by Call It Anything, Tue Oct-30-18 11:48 PM
2677509, ^^^
Posted by poetx, Wed Oct-31-18 09:45 PM
fuck maryland boosters / m club, while we at it.

they ran wade outta town on some bullshit. b/c an assistant coach gave rudy archer rides back and forth to night school.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad
2677375, Classy.
Posted by Castro, Wed Oct-31-18 01:10 AM
2677376, Yeah, Maryland needed to drop him
Posted by The Real, Wed Oct-31-18 05:24 AM
I don't get keeping him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2677377, Disgusting but as a parent how do you let your
Posted by b2thej, Wed Oct-31-18 06:23 AM
child go there after what happened as far as future recruits?
2677379, They won’t get any worthwhile recruits as long as he’s there.
Posted by Beezo, Wed Oct-31-18 07:18 AM
2677381, There's no satisfactory way he could ever answer that
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Oct-31-18 08:23 AM
Like if you're a parent of a high school football player and he comes into your home to recruit your son, how could you ever trust him with your son's safety?

That alone was reason enough to can him.
2677378, the school can't afford to buy him out or sever ties and pay him
Posted by Tiger Woods, Wed Oct-31-18 07:09 AM

it seems that the report came back saying that it was big-school football business as usual OTHER THAN THE INCREDIBLY TRAGIC DEATH OF A TEENAGER ON THE COACH'S WATCH

but they were willing to lean on the notion that this is just sort of how football is done at Big 10 schools
2677392, so, wait a minute...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Oct-31-18 09:30 AM
The board couldn't fire Durkin, but the president could. They told him if he fired Durkin, they'd fire him. He's retiring in June but has some "educational goals" at the school he wants to get accomplished, so he doesn't want to go, yet. SCUM...straight up trash.
2677406, the school moved to the Big 10 because athletics had no money
Posted by Tiger Woods, Wed Oct-31-18 10:19 AM
everyone here on the ground speculates that they STILL have no money and that a chief motivator in not firing Durkin is they literally can't afford to. Keep in mind that school president Wallace Loh already accepted blame on behalf of the school when McNair passed, so that's going to be a several million dollar settlement alone.

They're renovating Cole Field House into a football facility, and the fundraising effort was a bitch. You can only go to the Under Armour well for so long before results are expected. It's evident that the athletics department is cash poor.
2677428, the UA well should be a blank check since it's a Maryland alum company
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Oct-31-18 11:54 AM
2677510, moving to the big 10 was some stupid shit, also. i ain't really fucked w/
Posted by poetx, Wed Oct-31-18 09:48 PM
them since then.

at the time, it was supposed to be like a 7+ year before they broke even.

but md athletic dept always been fucked up.

that's a shitty reason to not fire dude, because they can't afford it.

damn.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

2677586, Them and Rutgers still don't even get a full payout from BTN
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Nov-01-18 02:04 PM
I don't think they get that until 2020.

Just a mess, nobody in Big Ten country thinks of these schools as rivals, and Maryland had to sever all of their actual rivalries. No one is happy.
2677611, When your program is struggling financially
Posted by The Real, Thu Nov-01-18 07:37 PM
It's kinda dumb to move to a conference that's going to significantly increase your travel budget.

Dumb all around.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2677599, #whitepower fail
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Thu Nov-01-18 04:22 PM
>
2677417, the students are planning to protest (full swipe)...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Wed Oct-31-18 11:05 AM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25133811/maryland-student-government-protest-dj-durkin-reinstatement

Adam Rittenberg
ESPN Staff Writer

COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- The University of Maryland's student government association has organized a rally Thursday to protest the reinstatement of football coach DJ Durkin and to demand justice for Jordan McNair, the Maryland offensive linemen who died June 13 from heatstroke he suffered after a May 29 team workout.

Durkin returned to work Tuesday after the University System of Maryland's board of regents recommended his reinstatement after reviewing an investigative report into the culture of Durkin's program. The third-year coach had been on paid administrative leave since Aug. 11.

Jonathan Allen, Maryland's student body president, told ESPN that students are "outraged" by the board's decision. Allen will introduce emergency legislation at a student government association meeting Wednesday night that will call for university president Wallace Loh to fire Durkin. Sources told ESPN that Loh, who announced Tuesday that he will retire in June, only brought back Durkin after the board of regents threatened to fire the president if he didn't reinstate the coach.

"People are appalled at this," Allen said. "When I spoke to stakeholders -- media, alums, donors -- over the last few months, as this has been transpiring, they all said there's no way Durkin comes back from this. And yet he's returning and the president is the one that's leaving?

"When the system fails, the next obvious step is a grassroots push, being vocal and showing the outrage and sentiments students have had with these decisions."

Allen, who hopes to meet with Loh later Wednesday to understand his viewpoint on the decision, said board of regents chair James Brady is primarily at fault for the decisions to reinstate Durkin and athletics director Damon Evans.

"It could not have worked out better for chairman Brady," said Allen, a senior from Florida majoring in government and politics. "He didn't need to buy out Coach Durkin's multi-million contract. He did not need to buy out Damon Evans' contract, did not need to fire a president and potentially have litigation if President Loh deemed there wasn't sufficient cause, bought out Rick Court, who was the root of many concerns, for $315,000.

"The only person who paid, as the McNair family's representative said, was Jordan, and that was with his life. That's why we're outraged."

Allen reached out to McNair's parents, Marty McNair and Tonya Wilson, through their attorneys, and hopes they can attend Thursday's rally.

The student government association announced the rally Tuesday night on Facebook, and as of late Wednesday morning, more than 1,000 people had either confirmed they will be attending the rally or expressed interest. Many student groups have co-sponsored the event, including the college Democrats, college Republicans, the black student union and Maryland's NAACP chapter.

Allen said the initial time of the rally, 3:30 p.m. outside McKeldin Library, could be adjusted because it conflicts with Maryland football practice and he wants players to be able to attend. He has reached out to several players on the team.

"Ultimately, this is about them," Allen said. "If they want to be present, we should be doing what we can to ensure that they're there, and that we're supporting them however we can."

Allen also will propose Wednesday night a dramatic decrease in Maryland's mandatory student fees that go to the athletic department. Each Maryland student pays $406 per year to Terrapins athletics.

"Students have been saying since the summer, 'How am I going to be forced to financially support an athletics department that does not share the same values as me?'" Allen said.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2677423, Hope most of the players attend
Posted by Beezo, Wed Oct-31-18 11:38 AM
2677430, the team needs to be there...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Wed Oct-31-18 11:55 AM
..here's hoping that the University does the right thing.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2677429, they gonna have to fire this nigga.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Oct-31-18 11:55 AM
2677432, they HAVE to
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Oct-31-18 12:01 PM
2677436, Burn it to the ground.
Posted by smutsboy, Wed Oct-31-18 12:35 PM
2677474, Governor of Maryland: nah, this ain't it
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Oct-31-18 04:58 PM
https://twitter.com/POLITICO_Steve/status/1057744707328114696
2677479, He gone now according to Espn
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Oct-31-18 05:32 PM
2677480, RE: He gone now according to Espn
Posted by johnblaze, Wed Oct-31-18 05:47 PM
The folks that reinstated him should be fired too! They're a bunch of dummies!

Link:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25137549/maryland-terrapins-coach-dj-durkin-fired-wake-probe

2677482, Everyone even *tangentially* responsible for this should be fired.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Oct-31-18 05:48 PM
This should haunt everyone involved for the rest of their days.
2677491, EVERY. FUCKIN. BODY.
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Oct-31-18 07:53 PM

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
2677495, Like, even the IT guy who fixed Wallace Loh's computer. EVERYONE.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Oct-31-18 08:58 PM
2677583, RE: Loh acted alone in deciding to fire Durkin
Posted by bentagain, Thu Nov-01-18 01:44 PM
just sayin'...
2677483, whoops sorry!
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Oct-31-18 06:02 PM
like the BOT somehow didn't account for this type of response lol
2677485, Man, these motherfuckers were so dumb
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Oct-31-18 06:20 PM
Seriously, what the fuck did the Regents expect when they reinstated him? They couldn't have seen any of this shit coming? Trying to save a few million cost them millions more in bad publicity.
2677493, Clean house
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Oct-31-18 08:32 PM
2677487, He will get hired again
Posted by Ceej, Wed Oct-31-18 07:05 PM
2677524, maybe as a DC
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Nov-01-18 08:05 AM
at an off the beaten path type spot
2677536, This was not a statement that I want it to happen or like him
Posted by Ceej, Thu Nov-01-18 09:36 AM
I am just saying that as vile as all this is, this wont be the end.
2677537, yeah but not as a HC.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Nov-01-18 09:39 AM
2677540, if he wins as DC he'll get HC again
Posted by smutsboy, Thu Nov-01-18 09:59 AM
There are almost literally no moral boundaries in the NCAA or pro sports for that matter.

Except getting caught gambling of course.
2677581, winning as a DC doesn't translate to HC success obviously
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Nov-01-18 01:28 PM
and he wasn't all that good as a HC in his brief stint at maryland so i dont see a second chance unless it's a very low level gig
2677587, I didn't say he'd be a good HC
Posted by smutsboy, Thu Nov-01-18 02:13 PM
I said that unless his team loses a ton while he's DC, he's as likely to get another HC chance as anyone else who's been fired for much less morally repulsive reasons.

In other words, if he has moderate success as DC, he won't have much trouble getting consideration for HC again.

It's a pathetic statement on the morals and politics of profit-based sports.
2677619, ya...i dont agree
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Nov-01-18 09:04 PM
he didn't fare well enough as HC for anyone to take that type of flier on him and endure the PR hit.

I don't think him running a solid defense overrides any of that.
2681766, Bama!
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Dec-13-18 03:12 PM
I'm sure the media backlash on this will be conspicuously silent
2681768, Damn shame.
Posted by Beezo, Thu Dec-13-18 04:18 PM
2677496, Power corrupts
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Oct-31-18 09:17 PM
How could they give this man his job back?

This was a fucking layup and they blew it.
2677508, this some bullshit. i played at md. i haven't watched a game this season.
Posted by poetx, Wed Oct-31-18 09:43 PM
complete and total bullshit.

what happened to that kid was over the top unconscionable.

25 years ago, that shit was way out of bounds. no way in hell some shit like that should happen in 2018.

and the head coach is responsible for his staff. and his strength coach was, apparently, a psycho asshole (granted, lots of strength coaches are), but that shit was way over the line.

i can't believe they think this is okay.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

2677595, Maryland Punter Says Teammates Beat Him Up For Talking To Investigators
Posted by GOMEZ, Thu Nov-01-18 03:41 PM
so good to see that the culture is not toxic

Deadspin Swipe: https://deadspin.com/maryland-punter-says-teammates-beat-him-up-for-talking-1830160602

The Baltimore Sun is reporting that during Tuesday’s football practice, which was presided over by briefly reinstated and then subsequently fired head coach DJ Durkin, Maryland punter Matt Barber was attacked by teammates who believed he spoke to investigators looking into the death of Jordan McNair and Durkin’s handling of the team.

The Sun was able to speak with Barber, who said the practice began with a handful of his teammates taunting and throwing footballs at him. It wasn’t until the end of practice that he says the attack occurred:

Toward the end of the practice, another player attacked Barber, attempting to punch him in the face, Barber said. While the two teammates were fighting, others tried to intervene and grabbed Barber’s arms behind his back, he said. That allowed the other player to punch Barber repeatedly in the face, leaving him with a black eye, needing multiple stitches on his forehead and a dislocated shoulder, Barber said.

“My jersey was bloody,” Barber says. “I had blood all over my hands.”

The Sun did not name Barber’s alleged attacker because they were not able to reach him for comment. Barber was reportedly wearing a bandage around his head and had his arm in a sling when he spoke to the paper on Wednesday morning.
2677597, Imagine beating up your teammate because he stood against
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Nov-01-18 03:54 PM
a guy who got your other teammate killed.
2677604, other reports that the fight might over something else.. so still toxic?
Posted by GOMEZ, Thu Nov-01-18 05:39 PM
they should probably just Napalm the program to be sure.
2677598, Chair of the Board of Regents stepping down
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Nov-01-18 04:04 PM
The aftermath reminds me of Penn State, except 1,000% dumber because this so easily could have been avoided.
2677605, This program top to bottom is dumb as fuck, even by football standards
Posted by GOMEZ, Thu Nov-01-18 05:46 PM
2677609, Fire everybody and burn that Athletic Department to the ground
Posted by DJR, Thu Nov-01-18 06:52 PM
This situation is sooooooo screwed up. A kid DIED. This isn’t some inane BS about paper writing or slipping $100s into Christmas cards.

A. Kid. Died. And it was caused by the culture of the program and the actions of staff members.

That Board should all be removed for voting to bring the coach back.
2677634, Maryland as a program is just repulsive right now.
Posted by B.J.S.301, Fri Nov-02-18 04:48 AM
Even with firing Durkin now, can't make up for the fact that they tried to re-instate him.