Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectWho Joins Kang in L.A. in 2019
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2674048
2674048, Who Joins Kang in L.A. in 2019
Posted by Vex_id, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
That AD Klutch Wave cometh.

Poll question: Who Joins Kang in L.A. in 2019

Poll result (17 votes)
Kawhi (1 votes)Vote
KD (0 votes)Vote
AD (7 votes)Vote
Klay (2 votes)Vote
Someone else (name) (1 votes)Vote
Nobody. Team will stay as is (6 votes)Vote

2674051, no one. they are gonna need a lot of available money in 3 years
Posted by cgonz00cc, Fri Sep-28-18 09:53 AM
and i actually think NO is on the right track and Davis stays where he is
2674055, pels will be much better than ppl seem to think.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Fri Sep-28-18 10:27 AM
>and i actually think NO is on the right track and Davis stays where he is

also, every supermax eligible player who's been actually offered the deal has taken it. wall, russ, harden, KAT. every single one. the eligible guys who've been traded weren't offered the deal in the first place, in all of those cases the team wanted to move on.

NO will obviously offer it, and I don't see any way he turns down that kind of bag. dude's not going anywhere anytime soon.

"This could be the season when Davis becomes the best player in the league.

Davis went to another level after Cousins tore his Achilles in January. He averaged 30.2 points on 51.4 percent shooting, 11.9 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 2.0 steals, and 3.2 blocks in the last 33 games of the season. Instead of falling out of the playoffs without Cousins, the Pelicans got better. New Orleans had a net rating of plus-10.7 in the 576 minutes that Davis and Nikola Mirotic, whom the team acquired before the trade deadline, played together. The Pels’ offensive rating (112.4) would have been no. 1 in the league over the whole season. Their defensive rating (101.7) would have been no. 3.

Trading for Mirotic allowed Davis to play center in smaller and faster lineups that fit how head coach Alvin Gentry wants to play. Those lineups were unleashed in the playoffs against the Blazers, when Gentry moved Davis to center full time. Portland had no answer for Davis, and the higher-seeded team was swept out of the first round. Davis averaged 33 points on 57.6 percent shooting, 11.8 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 2.8 blocks, and 1.8 steals in the series. He scored 47 points to close out the Blazers in Game 4."

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/8/15/17689932/anthony-davis-pelicans-are-we-sure
2674074, Supermax was on the table for Kawhi if he wanted it.
Posted by Vex_id, Fri Sep-28-18 03:09 PM
and the Spurs didn't want to move on - they just knew Kawhi was out. But yes, your larger point is that the Supermax deals are almost always accepted because players aren't leaving that extra $ on the table -- unless there is something more enticing or attractive -- like going to live in L.A. and playing w/ Bron & gifted kids with a chance to win multiple immersed in a lifestyle that no other place can offer.

If there ever were a situation that might dissuade a guy like AD from signing the no-brainer supermax $ - it'd be going to L.A. Also, if it's purely an economic calculus, it's a no-brainer that AD could more than compensate for lost salary $ in business opportunities in L.A. w/ Bron & Magic mentoring him.

I think a lot depends on how the Pels do this year. If they are middle-to-low tier in the West (which is a reasonable projection) and get bounced easily & early in the 'offs - I don't think he'll be overly keen on sticking around, particularly when he sees what could be somewhere else.

I also don't think AD has any love for GS, who have also cock-blocked him from getting his fair share because of the inequitable stacking in the division.

-->
2674076, was it tho?
Posted by cgonz00cc, Fri Sep-28-18 03:55 PM
2674078, yea it was - if Kawhi wanted it.
Posted by Vex_id, Fri Sep-28-18 04:01 PM
He didn't - so it never happened

-->
2674086, So Dula is right. Supermax wasn't offered.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Sep-28-18 06:35 PM
That was his point.

>and the Spurs didn't want to move on - they just knew Kawhi
>was out.

I mean, if they'd wanted him to stay, they could've offered it. But they didn't, regardless of the reason behind it. So Dula's point is accurate. Everyone who's been offered the supermax has taken it.
2674088, Sure, but that doesn't negate my point: Kawhi didn't want SuperMax
Posted by Vex_id, Fri Sep-28-18 07:08 PM
So in all but technicality - Kawhi turned down SuperMax money because he didn't want to stay in San Antonio. The Spurs were prepared to offer him the SuperMax and pitched to him to stay (or do I need to track down the reports for you of Pop meeting w/ him and the org being prepared to give him the SuperMax).

So - point is: The prospect of SuperMax money wasn't enough to keep Kawhi in San Antonio - and it's certainly plausible that it won't be enough to keep a player like AD in NO should a more enticing option be available.

-->
2674093, But your point is unprovable and Dula's is verifiably true.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Sep-28-18 08:00 PM
>Kawhi turned down SuperMax money

Not true. You can't turn down what you weren't offered.

>The Spurs were
>prepared to offer him the SuperMax

Quite possibly! But they never did.

> and pitched to him to stay

Definitely true, but they notably didn't offer a SuperMax in that pitch.

>(or do I need to track down the reports for you of Pop meeting
>w/ him and the org being prepared to give him the SuperMax).

Jeff Flake is prepared to not vote for Kavanaugh, but we all know he still will. People being "prepared" to do something isn't the same as an actual follow-through. Action >> preparation. Ultimately they didn't make Kawhi have to make a decision on the SuperMax, because they didn't offer him the SuperMax.

>The prospect of SuperMax money wasn't enough to
>keep Kawhi in San Antonio

Maybe, maybe not, but we don't know as it wasn't offered. What we definitely know is it wasn't offered.

>and it's certainly plausible that
>it won't be enough to keep a player like AD in NO should a
>more enticing option be available.

Also plausible, but again, this has nothing to do with the Kawhi situation, since AD still has a chance to be offered the SuperMax, and Kawhi notably was never offered the SuperMax.

(P.S. Why are we capitalizing/not spacing SuperMax as if it's a workout machine sold on QVC?)
2674094, Actually, no.
Posted by Vex_id, Fri Sep-28-18 09:10 PM
Dula just clarified his point below by declaring that "If Kawhi had been offered the SuperMax - he definitely would've taken it."

^There's *really* no way to verify that, but I don't see you as butthurt over that declaration.

Not only is there no way to verify that, there's also no credible evidence leading one to make that conclusion. The contrary, all of the credible evidence points to Kawhi not wanting to be in San Antonio *regardless* SuperMax money being factored into the equation.

>>(or do I need to track down the reports for you of Pop
>meeting
>>w/ him and the org being prepared to give him the SuperMax).
>
>Jeff Flake is prepared to not vote for Kavanaugh, but we all
>know he still will.

Not sure how that analogy works here. Flake (and Collins) fancy themselves as independent-thinking republicans, but they usually do conform to party dogma eventually (as you point out). Flake wants an FBI investigation before he makes his decision. The Spurs made their decision and made it public: they wanted Kawhi - and the org put out statements corroborated by insiders that confirm that the Spurs did their best to retain Kawhi by dangling the Supermax $ out there for him - he just didn't bite.

Sure - they never *formally* extended the offer - but everybody cogno scenti knew that the offer was informally (and probably personally) extended to him in-person, face-to-face during the Pop meeting in California.

But the statement that "Kawhi wasn't interested in SuperMax money *with the Spurs*" is a logical statement backed up mountains of evidence, whereas the statement "Kawhi definitely would've taken a SuperMax offer from the Spurs" has zippy evidence to substantiate it.

-->
2674090, that was exactly my point. kawhi was never offered.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Fri Sep-28-18 07:21 PM
had the spurs put the supermax on the table he'd have definitely taken it. no one's turning down a quarter billion dollars.

rule number 1: always, ALWAYS secure the bag. you can always figure out where you actually want to play later.

i really don't see him leaving there in the next 2 years.
2685739, Paul George didn't want supermax $ to stay in Indiana
Posted by Vex_id, Mon Jan-28-19 10:19 AM
Kawhi didn't want supermax $ to stay in S.A.

and now AD doesn't want supermax $ to stay in N.O.

Let's move on.

-->
2674058, aint no way in hell AD staying in NO.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Sep-28-18 11:17 AM
he going somewhere. us. boston. gsw.
2674097, Playing next to Ayton in Phoenix
Posted by DeepAztheRoot, Sat Sep-29-18 01:06 AM
nice contrast to small ball
2674175, He already had that experience, NO was better going small
Posted by LA2Philly, Sun Sep-30-18 12:22 AM
2674196, basically.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Sun Sep-30-18 12:24 PM
AD @ 5 with a stretch 4 is AD unleashed.

see: the swipe in reply 2

any coaching staff or front office still viewing him as a pf is analog af.
2674248, I was saying AD at 5, with Ayton at 4
Posted by DeepAztheRoot, Sun Sep-30-18 07:23 PM
that kind of length and athleticism would give teams problems
2674091, You think we're not going to spend a max d/t future contracts?
Posted by LA2Philly, Fri Sep-28-18 07:54 PM
Lol, I hope you're joking. The team already has the highest opearating margin in the league (nearly 150m) and now you add Lebron...they will be printing money.
2674198, w/ expiring one year deals and a competent, forward-thinking F.O.
Posted by Vex_id, Sun Sep-30-18 12:32 PM
the notion that the Lakers *wouldn't* bring in another max guy is laughable. They will have the resources and maneuverability to do so - it's just a matter of who will be the best fit.

I like that they didn't gamble the young, budding core on Kawhi -- as I don't think Kawhi is in the top 3 options of potential moves for the Lakers. I'd take AD, KD & even Klay over Kawhi until he proves otherwise that he can still be *that* transcendent guy that he was in S.A.
-->
2674061, someone will, and I'm all for it.
Posted by Dr Claw, Fri Sep-28-18 11:28 AM
personally, I hope KD redeems himself by joining LeGOAT

but if AD does it and LeBron forms a new SuperTeam to defeat the Cheaters... then good

anything that means no more worrying what DonkeyForce is doing so we can watch NBA again
2674079, Tristain, JR and Boobie Gibson
Posted by LAbeathustla, Fri Sep-28-18 04:08 PM
2674092, KD and Dame
Posted by Anonymous, Fri Sep-28-18 08:00 PM
2674098, AKA “Someone please help Lebron beat Golden State.”
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Sat Sep-29-18 01:39 AM
2674099, I mean...yeah.
Posted by Ryan M, Sat Sep-29-18 02:19 AM
2674112, Shit GSW got help to beat LeBron!
Posted by IsaIsaIsa, Sat Sep-29-18 12:08 PM

www.Tupreme.com
2674261, Psst... we'd be adding that piece with or without Golden State's existencew
Posted by Cold Truth, Sun Sep-30-18 10:09 PM
It's not as though we'd just let that max slot sit there unused if GS weren't a generationally great juggernaut.

It's not AKA anything other than working towards a title, same as any team with any superstar tries to do.
2677571, Who follows Kang to L.A. from CLE in 2018?
Posted by bentagain, Thu Nov-01-18 12:19 PM
Looking like a complete blow it the f up bout to pop off in CLE

Korver is already on the table

JR requesting a trade

I fully expect the LAL to try and get Korver

adding JR to that roster would be hilarious

but I'm thinking some of the CLE homies make the trek out to LA.
2677607, CLE should blow it all up; LA should try to nab shooters on the low
Posted by Vex_id, Thu Nov-01-18 06:10 PM

-->
2685738, *ahem*
Posted by Vex_id, Mon Jan-28-19 10:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmX2VzsB25s

-->
2685745, Rich Paul is just a vessel, LeBron is AD's agent!
Posted by isaaaa, Mon Jan-28-19 10:38 AM

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com
2685856, Growing Belief of Uncertainty that Kyrie resigns w/ Celtics
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Jan-29-19 09:57 AM
https://www.si.com/nba/2019/01/28/kyrie-irving-celtics-contract-resign-uncertain-growing-belief-anthony-davis

-->
2696501, will that #4 draft pick have any value in packaging a deal for AD?
Posted by Vex_id, Fri May-17-19 12:20 PM
seems the 3rd pick has a ton of value being that Memphis is looking like they'll pass on RJ. But I think the smarter move is still to surround box-office Zion with a solid young core. Kuz and/or Ingram, Zo and that #4 pick would be a good look. The fast breaks w/ Zo and Zion alone would be worth the ticket-price in N.O.

I kinda like the Lakers chances - esp. w/ Griffin in the f.o.
-->
2696508, It’s not happening.
Posted by Ryan M, Fri May-17-19 12:54 PM
All the kids + #4 doesn’t get it done money wise.
2696511, actually just saw a new report where Pels owner said no way, no how
Posted by Vex_id, Fri May-17-19 01:35 PM
Magic, Rich Paul and the f.o. really f#cked up w/ their strategy on this. Even if the Lakers offer the best deal - N.O. will go elsewhere out of spite it seems. I thought that might not be the case w/ Griffin arriving - but he still takes marching orders from the owner on this.

-->
2696517, Actually AD still holds quite a bit of leverage, he could always refuse to...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-17-19 02:13 PM
re-sign with whomever else they try to trade him to.
2696525, Sure, but that can always be a smokescreen.
Posted by Ryan M, Fri May-17-19 03:01 PM
What I'm saying is - if Lebron is not included, the Lakers could NOT trade for AD right today. They don't have the contracts to do so. All the young players are still on their rookie deals, so that's:

Lonzo - 7.4
Ingram - 5.7
Kuzma - 1.7
Hart - 1.6
Wagner - 1.7
Bonga - 1

= 19.3

AD makes 25 mil

2696515, RE: will that #4 draft pick have any value in packaging a deal for AD?
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-17-19 02:11 PM
>seems the 3rd pick has a ton of value being that Memphis is
>looking like they'll pass on RJ.

Ja Morant is a better player and exactly what they need to replace Conley who they want to trade.
2696513, Right today - is Jimmy Butler the most viable?
Posted by Vex_id, Fri May-17-19 01:51 PM
Lakers could completely strike-out this summer.

-->
2696514, Boogie and Kemba...
Posted by Creole, Fri May-17-19 02:09 PM
I don't think Jimmy leaves Philly.

Demarcus who probably could be had for much cheaper than a max slot. Kemba could be intrigued enough to leave Charlotte for LA.

Find shooters on the low like you mentioned above.

And we wouldn't have to give up any of the young guys to do it. They could be used later in the year, if necessary, to add more strudy reinforcements if necessary.

Zo
Kemba
Ingram
Bron
Boogie
2696518, we don't want no damn Boogie, a big that can't switch on PnR's is...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-17-19 02:16 PM
obsolete in today's NBA particularly at that price tag.

Lesser guys that I might be interested in are Danny Green, one of the Morris brothers, Bogdanovic and possibly DeAndre Jordan depending on his price.
2696519, If we going for "names", I threw him out there...
Posted by Creole, Fri May-17-19 02:19 PM
He's a big that can space the floor.

At the same time, he is most certainly a defensive liability.

And he would not come for anything near what he would have commanded a couple of years ago.

How else can it be done without having to shed any of the young guns who'd be needed in a few years when Lebron's finally gone?
2696520, and injury prone at this point.
Posted by tariqhu, Fri May-17-19 02:21 PM
2696522, Lmao!
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Fri May-17-19 02:38 PM
2696516, kemba or kyrie. and a guy like terrence ross. maybe kanter
Posted by RandomFact, Fri May-17-19 02:13 PM
but jimmy is "hollywood as hell" and i do see him in la. clippers seem like the right spot. i get the feels dude does not want to live in bron's shadow for the next three years.
2696523, Am I misreading you
Posted by Numba_33, Fri May-17-19 02:42 PM
or are you saying Jimmy Butler is too 'Hollywood as hell' for the Lakers?
2696524, too hollywood as hell to be overshadowed by bron every night for 3 years
Posted by RandomFact, Fri May-17-19 02:54 PM
love jimmy as a player but dude is corny like that.
2696526, I'm not a huge Butler fan either
Posted by Numba_33, Fri May-17-19 03:04 PM
but it's entirely possible the dude just doesn't like LeBron, which I don't think is the worst thing in the world. It doesn't appear as if he has an issue deferring to Embiid at the moment, so I don't think it's a 'Jimmy is too Hollywood' issue.
2696530, not sure this is true
Posted by RandomFact, Fri May-17-19 03:19 PM
>doesn't appear as if he has an issue deferring to Embiid at
>the moment, so I don't think it's a 'Jimmy is too Hollywood'
>issue.

dude's image took a hit after the minnesota situation. playing for philly and complaining about touches after proclaiming he just wants to win (although his trade demand list said the exact opposite) would've been a bad look.

>but it's entirely possible the dude just doesn't like LeBron,
>which I don't think is the worst thing in the world. It

i hope this is true. it would be fantastic for the league. more dudes need to not like lebron. this buddy buddy shit is lame.
2696529, ^^^bitter Bulls fan
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-17-19 03:15 PM
2696543, how is that corny, though? Honest question. It seems...
Posted by Dstl1, Fri May-17-19 05:36 PM
Kawhi feels pretty much the same...if that is in fact how Jimmy feels.
2696544, this is completely in reference to this:
Posted by RandomFact, Fri May-17-19 05:48 PM
https://www.nba.com/article/2018/09/19/report-jimmy-butler-requests-trade-minnesota-timberwolves

"Per The Athletic's Shams Charania and Jon Krawczynski, Butler has given the Timberwolves a list of one to three teams with which he is open to signing a contract extension. ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reports the Brooklyn Nets, LA Clippers, New York Knicks are on Butler's list of preferred trade destinations, with the Clippers looming as his favorite landing spot."

dude says he wanted to leave minnesota and win, then came out with the above list of teams. if you can't see the hilarity in that I don't know what to say.
2696546, well I was going off of what you said in the reply...
Posted by Dstl1, Fri May-17-19 06:52 PM
I replied to. Not wanting to be in Bron's shadow doesn't seem corny to me. Actually, too, I don't see the hilarity in what you just quoted. Maybe he feels like he's a transcendent player that can get a team over the hump. These guys have huge egos. The Clippers an Nets both had good seasons. Clips gave a good account against Golden State.
2696547, he should've been able to do this in minnesota then
Posted by RandomFact, Fri May-17-19 07:16 PM
>Maybe he feels like he's a transcendent
>player that can get a team over the hump.

But I understand your point.
2696545, RE: how is that corny, though? Honest question. It seems...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-17-19 06:51 PM
>Kawhi feels pretty much the same...if that is in fact how
>Jimmy feels.

Except Kawhi has never said that everybody just attributes that stance to him
2696556, Butler disappears when he plays off the ball nm
Posted by FILF, Fri May-17-19 10:04 PM
2696596, They could, probably not, but decent chance. Butler won't go there
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat May-18-19 02:58 PM
I expect Jimmy to stay in Philly but if he doesn't he won't go to LA. If he's having some issues not dominating the ball and getting touches now, imagine playing with LeBron. He is not gonna go to LA to be LeBron's Trevor Ariza.
2699368, But no matter what you do......
Posted by Vex_id, Sat Jun-15-19 07:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrDgMp4BS5Q

Not as big of a W as my Kang Returns to the Land prophecy (which also included peripheral prophecy re: Love joining the Cavs before anyone even uttered him in the same sentence as Cleveland) -- but still another notch on the belt.

-->