Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectS Taylor Rapp, Washington
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2674013&mesg_id=2680962
2680962, S Taylor Rapp, Washington
Posted by will_5198, Tue Dec-04-18 08:28 PM
I wasn't crazy about how Washington aligned him this year. I'm guessing DC Jimmy Lake wanted to showcase more of his coverage ability, so he put Rapp in a lot of single-high or split deep looks.

But that's not really his game. He's a box safety with range -- when he can play near the line of scrimmage he's elite, cutting off big plays before they begin and generally blowing shit up. He fears no lineman, locks onto ball-carriers like a tarantula, and will knock somebody into the benches before he gives up the sideline. Ten yards off the ball he plays nasty and fast.

Despite the extra practice this season, his limitations remain in deep coverage. He's not going to break on a ton of passes, since he's slow to diagnose route combinations and is antsy when backpedaling. Liability, no, but not a difference-maker if you leave him in the deep third.

Even with his averageness in coverage, overall I'm a fan. He's special when he's moving forward, and gives the defense a toughness up front that not a lot of safeties play with.

+ Great tackler who wraps up with a pop
+ Throws his body at pulling guards and cuts them down in the hole
+ Closes quickly and under control; he bails out the front seven and prides himself on being the stopper
+ Asian-American...the next generation's Dat Nguyen

- Unsure at times in coverage, lacks that sixth sense to get places before the ball does
- Assignment-sound but vulnerable to being picked on in coverage match-ups