Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDL Dre'Mont Jones, Ohio State
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2674013&mesg_id=2679610
2679610, DL Dre'Mont Jones, Ohio State
Posted by will_5198, Wed Nov-21-18 01:02 AM
Might have another tweener on our hands. In college he has dominant snaps against single-blocking, because his quickness is overwhelming for guards. In the NFL he'll have less of a pre-snap advantage, because those dudes inside will be bigger, stronger and fast enough to mirror his athleticism.

I do love his hands and move-set, though. He consistently flashes advanced rusher stuff, from push-pull, to a Michael Phelps-freestyle swim over, as well as a death-knell spin move that is scary quick and compact. Plus he can string all of those together in an unbroken flow.

Thing is, he's listed at 295 but I have a hard time believing he plays at that number. He looks at least 15 pounds less than that (not much of difference when he stands next to Bosa, who reports at 270). Now he does have a unique frame and carries his weight impressively, but he's supposed to be Gerald McCoy's size -- not a just big defensive end.

Even if he is that weight, his playstyle is a problem regardless. He has no anchor. He stands up at the snap and plays tall through the whistle. He is more offense than defense against the run -- I'm talking about a complete horror show when he has to hold any sort of gap. A double team by Youngstown State would put him on his ass; he gets carried 3-5 yards backwards whenever the guard and center both put hands on him. He can't even be on the field on short downs.

I know stopping the run is no longer a NFL priority these days, but you can't just be a free gap on defense every snap. A boom-bust defender who will make splash plays with his twitch and rush technique, or get totally washed.

+ Knows how to attack pass-blocking with a variety of moves
+ Has impressive wingspan and burst, packed in a ripped physique
+ Athletic enough to jump cut blocks and even intercept screen passes

- Leverage has not improved over his career and remains his biggest weakness (too often he is on the ground)
- There are inside linebackers who take on run-blocks better than him
- Could move to defensive end, or be a hybrid lineman, but is most disruptive in a phone booth and doesn't show ability to bend around the edge