Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRB David Montgomery, Iowa State
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2674013&mesg_id=2674587
2674587, RB David Montgomery, Iowa State
Posted by will_5198, Wed Oct-03-18 09:21 PM
I was a huge Derrius Guice fan and this guy is the Midwest version. Lives for contact, and has the best combination of power and balance you'll see in college football this season. Not just a brute force runner, either -- he can make you miss in a phone booth with his vicious, Achilles-shredding jump cut. His best runs are as beautifully violent as football can be.

So why not higher? He looks like a one-gear player to me. I don't see the explosiveness to beat angles and get chunk plays, which limits his potential as a lead back. And for all his craftiness creating space, he can dance too much and make more cuts than needed. Sometimes you have to get what you can.

Fun as hell to watch though and I'm rooting for him at the next level. If only he had a little more burst and long speed...

+ Literally makes something out of nothing, every drive
+ Low center of gravity with tremendous leg drive and lateral quickness = broken tackle machine
+ Team captain with natural leadership traits
+ Does well for himself in the passing game; very smooth hands and I think he'll be a reliable quarterback protector

- Play speed is average and he doesn't win the corner consistently
- Freelancing style will be reined in by NFL speed on defense