Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectQB Jarrett Stidham, Auburn
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2674013&mesg_id=2674085
2674085, QB Jarrett Stidham, Auburn
Posted by will_5198, Fri Sep-28-18 06:33 PM
I don't know why everyone keeps trying to make Jarrett Stidham happen. If he has a special trait worth waiting on, I've yet to see it in a game.

Physically he's got an average build with above-average mobility. He does spin a pretty ball, and it's very catchable…for both sides. Which is my main problem with him -- he doesn't show much natural quarterbacking ability. You know, like reading progressions (two is a struggle), or stepping up in the pocket to buy time for a deep throw. He's played in two systems (Baylor transfer) where the quarterback makes one read, and has the defense manipulated for him by the coaching and alignment. Left to his own devices he's a headless chicken.

What I do see is a young Blake Bortles, but smaller and with a worse arm. Exciting.

+ Pretty passer when he's unbothered
+ Moves well and adds a running option from the quarterback spot

- Prolongs plays in a bad way due to his non-existent pocket presence; a sack magnet that takes a bunch of unnecessary hits (9 fumbles in 2017)
- Accuracy comes and goes, even on the easiest passes
- Coverages process slowly for him and he gets into a panic mode when first read is not well defined
- Benefits greatly from every defense focusing on the multi-read Auburn running game; gets vanilla coverages and mush rushes on most throws