Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: Bwahahahahahaahaha. You lying sack of shit!!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2643326&mesg_id=2643772
2643772, RE: Bwahahahahahaahaha. You lying sack of shit!!
Posted by Premiere, Thu Feb-15-18 04:02 PM
>>A Finals in the East that led to a sweep vs. the conference
>>finals versus that exact same Spurs team in which the Suns
>>actually, you know, won a game.
>
>See what you just did!?!?! You just NEGATED the success
>of a black coach, and PROPPED UP the success of a white
>coach on BULLSHIT terms and standards!!!
>
>Dantoni had the MVP and TWO other All-Stars!!!
>
>Brown had Lebron and WHO!?!?!

Was Marion an All-Star anywhere else? Wasn't Mo Williams a fucking All-Star one or two of those years? You're talking about my standards switching, though yours just don't exist. Does the talent matter here? Or the level of success? The sustained level? If it's talent, yeah, D'Antoni had Nash, Marion, and Stoudemire, along with a cast of talented role players. Brown had arguably the greatest player of all-time and casts built explicitly to play around that guy. I'd say D'Antoni had more talent in PHX, with the rather large caveat that his teams always had San Antonio and eventually LA to go through.

On team success? Brown gets to two Conference Finals, one in which his team is favored and the other in which it wasn't. They lose the one he's favored in, win the one in which his team was supposed to be too young to succeed in. He makes the Finals in a conference that has produced some of the worst Finals teams of all-time, and his team is one of those. His teams have very good defenses, occasionally ranked among the best in the league (in 08-09, they're tied for second with an all-time defensive unit in Boston), though generally not, and his offenses rank from very good to middling to bad (I think the ranks are 17th, 17th, 4th, and 4th in his four years there). His teams win 60 twice. D'Antoni makes two conference finals, both of which his team is the underdog, and loses both. His teams win 60 twice. His teams' offenses rank as the best in the L every year he coaches Phoenix, usually three or four points per 100 possessions better than the closest competition; some are among the top 20 offenses the league has ever seen. His defenses are the definition of middling, ranking between 10-15 every year.

After those two runs, D'Antoni clearly gets longer rope, but usually with cursed-ass teams in NY (Melo might literally be the least spread-PnR-friendly star in the L of this time) and LA (Kobe would be second) with fraught ownership situations. Brown gets fucked in the LA gig that gets handed to Pringles, then runs a bad team in Cleveland in which he likely didn't have anything to salvage but also didn't make better than the sum of their parts.

That's it. That's their whole careers pre-Houston. Brown gets the cushiest assistant gig in the L, D'Antoni gets stuck in the Process before getting the Houston job, which absolutely no one expected him to get OR excel at.

Where in there did D'Antoni's resume not say that he should get another chance before Brown does, at least with a roster that fits D'Antoni's talents? Where did Brown have all-time great success like Pringles's PHX offenses did? In this NBA, with the way basketball is now played, which of these guys would you hire, were you not trying to make a point? You know the goddamned truth; you're just too dug in to admit it. D'Antoni was and is not just some retread. He ain't Flip Saunders, God rest his soul, and he ain't Scott Skiles, and he damn sure ain't Dave Joerger.

>
>>And he won COTY too.
>
>Of course he did, imbecile.

But you just asked said the highs weren't as... alright, my dude. This is allllllll you. I'm finished.