Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectD'Antoni *was* an assistant two years ago
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2643326&mesg_id=2643692
2643692, D'Antoni *was* an assistant two years ago
Posted by Premiere, Thu Feb-15-18 01:46 AM
And D'Antoni should own his Ls as much as any coach, but his highs are higher (#1 offense every year in PHX, two conference finals in the West) than those of the black coaches we're comparing him to in Brown and Woodson.

As for the MVP, I just feel like you're shifting the conversation; Truth said the Suns were only good, minimizing their success, so I countered that by noting that he's mostly attributed Nash's success to his system (which was implemented by...). D'Antoni should get credit for his best players playing their best ball on his teams, and he should be blamed for players who played worse for him than they did for other coaches (like, say, Melo or Kobe).

I barely have an argument other than that these lists of white retreads and black retreads are being put together without much thought. If you think Rick Carlisle is a bad coach, then I would guess you don't watch a lot of basketball. And if you're desperate for Brian Shaw to get another job, I wouldn't have to guess anymore.

The L has a few coaches who are still riding off past performances who should probably be axed for their current jobs (Vogel, Stan Van, Hornacek) and a few who should almost certainly have never been hired (Hoiberg, SCOTT BROOKS) who are perfect examples of men who rarely or never have to sit on the perennial hot seats that black coaches are on (Ty Lue is literally the only coach in the L who has a ring and has to worry one iota about job security).

All I'm saying is there are better examples.