Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: this is the stuff
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2639991&mesg_id=2691527
2691527, RE: this is the stuff
Posted by inpulse, Mon Mar-25-19 02:35 PM

>
>What's the plan (if any) now that you got the black belt?

BJJ is a hobby for me, I don't have aspirations to open my own gym. I would only do it if I found myself in an area where there were no gym options available within maybe a 30 minute drive/commute.

So nothing will change really; just keep chugging along and trying to improve. Since we are moving, I'm definitely concerned about how much gym dues will be since we get a pretty good deal at my current spot. My wife also trains and my son wants to start, so that would be a good chunk of money.

>
>And also, how is the grad school search going?
>
>

I was admitted to Northeastern, Rutgers, Howard, and waitlisted at Albany. All Criminology or Sociology programs. I still have one app pending for McGill; I mostly applied there bc I love Montreal and my wife and I would love to live there, despite the awful winters. It's still a good program, but definitely not the best for what I want to do (study black folks and the police).

I didn't get into any of the NYC schools I applied to, so I won't be joining you and Shawn. But since I'll be nearby-ish, I'll definitely look to drop in during holidays or the summer, particularly if I go to Rutgers or Albany.

(Side-note: NYU was probably my first choice. Turns out the guy I wanted to work and built a relationship with there is leaving after this academic year anyway, but it seems he was unable to tell me until after I was not admitted. He was not on the admissions committee this year. He is leaving to go to Princeton. We still hope/plan to work together.)