Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectlate pass: Michigan State harbored their own Sandusky for 20 years?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2638101
2638101, late pass: Michigan State harbored their own Sandusky for 20 years?
Posted by will_5198, Tue Jan-16-18 07:43 PM
I was aware of the Larry Nassar story -- USA women's gymnastics trainer who sexually assaulted dozens of gymnasts -- but damn, Michigan State had this guy on payroll for decades and ignored all the red lights.

- in 2014, a MSU athlete complained Nassar (employed by MSU since 1997) molested her during treatment

- his boss investigated, exonerated him, then told him he should have someone else in the room at all times

- campus police investigated, then cleared him 19 months later

- Nassar was put on the "honor system" by both parties, in regards to always having a witness during his exams...except nobody actually knew about this policy and it was not followed up on

- 14 girls have reported being molested by Nassar at MSU...*after* 2014

- sentencing testimony was today and nobody from Michigan State even bothered to show up to support/acknowledge the victims

fucked. up.

"Case report shows systematic failure at Michigan State led to further Larry Nassar terror"
https://sports.yahoo.com/case-report-shows-systematic-failure-michigan-state-led-larry-nassar-terror-010033574.html

"Larry Nassar surrounded by adults who enabled his predatory behavior"
http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/22046031/michigan-state-university-doctor-larry-nassar-surrounded-enablers-abused-athletes-espn
2638102, more or less.
Posted by cgonz00cc, Tue Jan-16-18 07:46 PM
recently a bunch of ppl actually made a public vote of confidence in the university pres

oops.
2638104, MSU offered her a raise *after* the scandal broke
Posted by will_5198, Tue Jan-16-18 07:51 PM
>recently a bunch of ppl actually made a public vote of
>confidence in the university pres
>
>oops.

fucking christ.
2638103, This story is 10X worse than Sandusky...
Posted by Y2Flound, Tue Jan-16-18 07:48 PM
But getting 1/10 the coverage, because FOOTBALL!

This guy was employed by the US gymnastics team and molesting gold medal athletes and they complained again and again and were ignored. Literal Olympians are out there winning gold medals for a trainer that molested them and nobody stopped him.

The US gymanastics team told these young girls to be quiet and go out there and win some medals.

I wish this story got people as fired up as Sandusky because it's way worse. It's just not football and I'm pretty sure because they were girls so it doesn't feel as gross to people sadly.
2638105, it's literally depressing.
Posted by will_5198, Tue Jan-16-18 07:53 PM
one of the girls molested committed suicide. another girl's father committed suicide because he didn't believe her when she complained about Nassar.

like you said, USA GYMNASTICS PAID ONE OF THEIR GOLD MEDALISTS $1.5 MILLION OF HUSH MONEY. can you fucking imagine? and that happened!
2638126, Wow. Did not know this.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Jan-17-18 02:07 AM
>like you said, USA GYMNASTICS PAID ONE OF THEIR GOLD MEDALISTS
>$1.5 MILLION OF HUSH MONEY. can you fucking imagine? and that
>happened!

The details of this case are gruesome. But my sense is that this case isn't getting the attention that the Sandusky case got because Joe Pa *edit* or another icon of sports wasn't involved.

Granted the cover up and mismanagement by the Penn State administration is criminal and Sandusky's crimes were utterly inexcusable. But without Joe Pa, I don't think that case gets the traction it did in the media because he's CFB royalty.
2638114, I assume you just mean that the coverup is 10x worse ?
Posted by Brew, Tue Jan-16-18 09:56 PM
Cause I'm not totally sure you can compare these two situations and come to the conclusion that either one is THAT MUCH worse than the other, in terms of the offenses committed.
2638137, Ya I'm not referring directly to the assaults themselves
Posted by Y2Flound, Wed Jan-17-18 08:17 AM
Just like the entire story of it.

The cover up. The fact that it was the US olympic team and involved the best gymnasts our country has ever had, the fact that it happened to some of these girls for years, the impact it had leading to 2 suicides, just the whole situation.

For all the attention the Sandusky story got, this feels like a thing we kinda are noticing in passing and won't talk about in a few more years ever again.
2638143, these are famous young white girls Sandusky was fucking poor young black...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jan-17-18 09:44 AM
boys
2638427, i think what's particularly troubling comprared to the PSU situation
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Jan-18-18 03:47 PM
is that this involved two separate governing bodies (USAG and MSU/NCAA)

like we can sort of rationalize how shit went down in happy valley...an isolated football obsessed cow town ran by a demigod...you can sort of understand (and I use that term in the loosest sense possible) how things could be kept under the radar.

but the nassar situation just covers too much ground for it to make much sense. especially if the abuse was taking place at various venues and competitions...this was just really out there which makes it unfathomable that nobody put a stop to it.
2640161, What's more troubling IMO, Nassar was actively employed by MSU
Posted by bentagain, Fri Jan-26-18 03:02 PM
Where Sandusky was a retiree leveraging his past affiliation with PSU to molest...and any covering up would have been to keep recruits interest

Nassar was actively employed, and the cover up was to leverage his US team doctor credentials as a bonus for recruits

Definitely some important differences, that IMO, make it extremely worse

Could you imagine if Sandusky had tried to molest PSU football players?

this shit cray
2638120, that is....one of the worst stories I’ve ever heard
Posted by DJR, Tue Jan-16-18 10:58 PM
Sickening.
2638129, these aren't isolated incidents with one perpetrator..
Posted by LegacyNS, Wed Jan-17-18 06:38 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================
2638134, what the fuck was worth it to keep Nassar aboard?
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Jan-17-18 07:37 AM
when the allegations first hit? why did USA Gymnastics pay the hush money?
2638209, he had the right friends and a high profile
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Jan-17-18 03:17 PM
so why believe a story that would upset the whole applecart?

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
2638213, I'm sure, like Sandusky, everyone in the inner circle knew
Posted by will_5198, Wed Jan-17-18 03:40 PM
the fact they paid Maroney a non-disclosure settlement seems to indicate as such.

but there was definitely no criminal ignorance here. they willfully aided and abetted Nassar. they were accomplices.
2638274, i'm talking specifically about the people at state
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Jan-17-18 08:32 PM
I have no idea what us gymnastics is on

(probably a longstanding culture of hiding creeps)

2638245, it's like if you're an authority and let the first incident slide
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Jan-17-18 06:06 PM
then you go down a really bad rabbit hole that you can't really come out of and just pile on the cover up.
2638259, I imagine a lotta heads would roll, both deserved and undeserved.
Posted by Wonderl33t, Wed Jan-17-18 07:29 PM
And most people are cowards when it comes to exercising their leadership in difficult ways.
Posted by Ceej, Wed Jan-17-18 08:22 AM
2638147, Same intensity
Posted by bshelly, Wed Jan-17-18 10:29 AM
NCAA better start stripping wins and scholarships.
2638156, No statute to take down tho cuz well its Michigan State
Posted by Ceej, Wed Jan-17-18 10:50 AM
2638159, also no rallies on the schedule to show support for the enablers
Posted by cgonz00cc, Wed Jan-17-18 11:17 AM
2638164, Sadly I'm sure an HBO movie is coming
Posted by Ceej, Wed Jan-17-18 11:23 AM
2640494, i may have jumped the gun on this one
Posted by cgonz00cc, Mon Jan-29-18 03:33 PM
2638153, Terrible.
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Jan-17-18 10:38 AM
I have no idea why this story isn't WAY bigger. Simone Biles, McKayla Maroney, Aly Raisman, and them are/were legit celebrities. There were over 140 girls - most underage - assaulted. You have two huge institutions actively involved in the coverup.

This is the Sandusky case plus the #metoo movement multiplied together, and it's not huge news. Crazy.
2638157, america only cares about gymnastics for a week every 4 years
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Jan-17-18 10:58 AM
2638168, Even if you take sports completely out of it, it should be a huge story.
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Jan-17-18 11:27 AM
For example if a school teacher molested over 140 students over a couple decades, and the district protected them, I would think it should be a huge story. And that's just a school district, not nationally known organizations like Team USA and a major university.
2638214, fuck USA gymnastics
Posted by will_5198, Wed Jan-17-18 03:44 PM
their whole house needs to burn down for this. this is all for naught if we are cheering and redeeming them in Tokyo two years from now (which will probably be the narrative; they are too big to fail).

only redemption comes from complete destruction. remove everybody right today.
2638268, I think this is absolutely what will happen
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Jan-17-18 08:04 PM
>this is all
>for naught if we are cheering and redeeming them in Tokyo two
>years from now (which will probably be the narrative; they are
>too big to fail).

There's no reason the US should field any athletes in gymnastics in 2020. Let them compete under a blank flag like the Russians are going to do at the Winter Olympics. The athletes should be allowed to qualify and compete. USA Gymnastics deserves no glory.
2638433, fat chance of that happening tho
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jan-18-18 04:31 PM

>There's no reason the US should field any athletes in
>gymnastics in 2020. Let them compete under a blank flag like
>the Russians are going to do at the Winter Olympics. The
>athletes should be allowed to qualify and compete. USA
>Gymnastics deserves no glory.
2638456, Wasn't clear
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Jan-18-18 07:33 PM
I think that's what SHOULD happen, I think what Will said in his post (about everyone sweeping it under the rug and cheering in 2020 like it's nothing) is what WILL happen.
2638162, We need to clean out every single corner of society
Posted by smutsboy, Wed Jan-17-18 11:21 AM
Like, part of me wants to blame this on the moral rot that is the NCAA organization and organized sports in general.

But also this kind of shit has been happening everywhere, forever.

Here's hoping we're heading towards a better society w/r/t to abuse and assault.
2638208, it's unthinkably bad. and they let him go on for long after
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Jan-17-18 03:17 PM
he'd been reported.

our society does. not. care. about these problems

2638212, Thats the sad part...
Posted by bnicedh, Wed Jan-17-18 03:30 PM
at EVERY LEVEL these girls were ignored; families, coaches, admin and school. Victims and victims parents committing suicide, MY GOD! Not sure why this isnt getting as much coverage as Sandusky cause they are Olympians!

2638277, It doesn't involve a well-known accused that is revered as a god
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Wed Jan-17-18 09:23 PM
in his profession like Joe Paterno was.
2638215, This part right here got to me...
Posted by bnicedh, Wed Jan-17-18 03:46 PM
HOW THE EFF wasnt he snatched outta there.

Boyce told Outside the Lines that Nassar penetrated her dozens of times, explaining the first time he did the procedure that he needed to massage her pelvic muscles in order to treat her injured back. During one such visit, he removed his belt, dimmed the lights and appeared to become sexually aroused, Boyce says.

So you fingering teenage girls to help them with their back!?!?! And the school said:

"I spoke to her about what Lindsey had said and she goes, 'You know, Christy, this is a legal medical procedure.'"

Christy Lemke-Akeo, on talking with Michigan State coach Kathie Klages the day before her daughter reported being abused to police
2638220, Former MSU coach Kathie Klages needs to go to jail.
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Jan-17-18 04:22 PM
Here's an article detailing some of the cover up she was involved in 20 years ago there:

http://michiganradio.org/post/day-young-gymnast-tried-tell-msu-about-sexual-abuse

And Larissa Boyce would see him for her lower back pain.

“And there were some trainers in there, and he told them to leave the room,” she says. “And I remember them looking at each other like, this is weird? And he said, ‘It’s ok, she’s a patient of mine at the clinic, too.’ And I remember him taking his gloves off, and he started using his thumb.”

Boyce says Nassar would use his fingers to penetrate her vagina. At first, she says, she squirmed and tried to move away, at least so she wasn’t looking at him directly. But Dr. Nassar told her not to move away, she says.

“It felt very, um, very sexual,” she says, slowly. “Because I mean it started—he was looking right at me. And I think that’s when I tried to scooch away and like turn over, so I didn’t have to look at him.”

Boyce says this penetration happened at first once a week, then every two weeks.

She could tell Dr. Nassar was aroused during those treatments, she says. And he would ask about her sex life with her boyfriend.

After questioning other gymnasts, another girl comes forward, too

Eventually, Boyce says she told her coach, Kathie Klages, that Dr. Nassar was penetrating her during treatment.

“And um, she just couldn’t believe it,” she says. “And said that I must be misunderstanding it, or reading into what he was doing. And I said that I wasn’t.”

Coach Klages at this point had worked alongside Nassar for years. They were close friends. When alums talk about Klages as their stand-in mom, Dr. Nassar is often recalled as part of that same tight-knit gymnastics family: a genuinely nice, avuncular kind of guy who, unlike some of the less sympathetic trainers, made athletes feel like he actually cared about them.

And beyond their friendship, history, and shared mission, Coach Klages also knew having Dr. Nassar, with his Olympic pedigree, was a selling point for recruits.

So with Larissa Boyce still sitting there in her office, Coach Klages started pulling in other members of the youth team, two or three at a time, Boyce says. Asking each of them, in front of Boyce: has anything uncomfortable ever happened with you and Dr. Nassar?

All of them said no. Except for one.

In court filings, one other former gymnast says she told Klages that yes, she too was being penetrated by Nassar during treatment.

“So she kept that girl in the office with me,” Boyce says. “We were both saying we were really embarrassed. And we felt like we were in trouble. And I remember the rest of practice, I think I just went into the bathroom and cried.”

Everyone was looking at her like she was a liar, Boyce says, like she was trying to get attention.

She says after a couple hours of this, Coach Klages called in a few members of the MSU college gymnastics team, too, to talk with Boyce about how medical treatments could somehow get close to private areas, but were never intended as sexual.

“So, when I told them, you know, what was happening, that’s when I remember them looking at each other and walking out and going to talk to Kathie about what I said,” Boyce says.

Michigan Radio reached out to several members of the college team from around this time period. Just two of them got back to us, and neither say they remember this conversation.

Finally, at the end of the day, Boyce says Coach Klages sat down with her for a talk.

“And she was sitting in her office in her chair behind her desk. And said, ‘Well you know, I could file this, but there’s going to be very serious consequences. For you and Dr. Nassar.’ I remember just, like, looking out the window behind her. And um, just not even wanting to look at her," Boyce says.

Deciding that she was the one with a dirty mind—and defending Nassar

Boyce says it felt like the whole youth program knew she’d done something wrong. After that day, she says, the Spartan youth gymnasts were no longer allowed to go down to the trainer’s area, where Dr. Nassar worked.

And Boyce says she wanted more than anything for all the shame and trouble to just be done. So she told herself, you know, maybe I am the problem here.

“What is wrong with me, and why am I thinking what he’s doing is sexual? And this adult that I look up to is saying I’m wrong,” she says.

On top of that, she still wanted to do gymnastics in college.

“And Kathie told my parents I had a chance of that," Boyce says. "And so if she’s telling me I’m wrong, then I had to make myself start believing that, and there was something wrong with me, and I just have a dirty mind.”

Afterwards, when Dr. Nassar confronted Boyce about her complaints, she apologized to him. Boyce recalls leaving gymnastics not long after that, but says she continued to see Dr. Nassar for two more years. And she says the abuse didn’t stop.
2638222, when the allegations first broke last year
Posted by will_5198, Wed Jan-17-18 04:33 PM
Klages had her team sign a card for Nassar. for emotional support, or something:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/msu-abuse-scandal-coach-had-gymnasts-sign-card-dr-larry-n731781

One afternoon this past autumn, Michigan State University gymnastics coach Kathie Klages asked her young athletes to sign a card to the team doctor, Larry Nassar.

Nassar wasn't recuperating from an illness or celebrating a milestone. Instead, he had been publicly accused of molesting former patients and was the target of a fast-growing police investigation.

"She said, 'You don't have to sign this if you don't want to, but it's for Larry and it would be appreciated if we could let him know that we're thinking about him,'" said gymnast Lindsey Lemke, 21, who recalls that some team members did sign.

----

I agree. Klages and a bunch more people at Michigan State should be in jail too.
2638278, What the hell?
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Wed Jan-17-18 09:25 PM
2638320, speechless
Posted by smutsboy, Thu Jan-18-18 09:45 AM
2638224, unfuckingbelievalble
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jan-17-18 04:45 PM
2638226, wow
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Jan-17-18 05:06 PM
2638256, POS
Posted by LegacyNS, Wed Jan-17-18 07:11 PM

<---- 5....

2638312, wow, even worse than JoePa
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Jan-18-18 08:18 AM
2638225, They waived Maroney's NDA Fine. How noble of them
Posted by Ceej, Wed Jan-17-18 04:49 PM
2638246, what was the public reaction to learning that maroney took money?
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Jan-17-18 06:08 PM
2638261, Define public. I’ve read all the shit you’d expect
Posted by Ceej, Wed Jan-17-18 07:38 PM
But I’m wondering where exactly you are looking from
2638269, mostly youtube comments
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Jan-17-18 08:06 PM
>But I’m wondering where exactly you are looking from
2638708, btw the serious answer to this question was 'media'
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sat Jan-20-18 10:56 AM
2638267, The question is what is the public reaction to learning that USAG
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Jan-17-18 08:00 PM
paid someone hush money to cover up sexual crimes? And how stupid were they to do so, when you can’t enforce a NDA to hide criminal activity?
2638270, that would be a separate question
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Jan-17-18 08:07 PM
and with a less complex answer
2638307, what makes this complex?
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Jan-18-18 01:34 AM
come out and say what you're trying to say.

2638316, what do you mean come out?
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Jan-18-18 09:33 AM
the rather OBVIOUS difference in the questions posed by me and soulfunk is on the one hand you have a family/legal team/advisors with the opportunity to stop a serial child predator from perpetrating future heinous crimes and holding him accountable and instead made a cash grab*. a scenario/decision which im sure had a multitude of other difficult variables involved. aka complex.

vs

admonishing an organization that covered up child molestation which is obviously ummmm pretty bad with nary an ounce of nuance in terms of reaction. aka not complex.

it is in fact possible to process these 2 situations as separate events.

*mind you im just getting caught up on this so my facts/timeline may not be straight here
2638430, so you don't want to come out and say it. I get it.
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Jan-18-18 04:03 PM
and you do too, which is why you don't want to say it.

2638432, I honestly have no idea wtf you’re talking about
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Jan-18-18 04:18 PM
But fun chat though

And pretty funny that you would accuse me of being intentionally cryptic given your last 2 posts. When you’re capable of having an adult conversation instead of some bizarre game of guesses and insinuations then lemme know.
2638462, I haven't accused you of anything. You're just feeling guilty.
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Jan-18-18 08:55 PM
that's why you won't say what you want to say.

2638464, at this point you're either completely batshit or just trolling
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Jan-18-18 09:16 PM
or maybe some combination of both.

you asked me to explain myself and I had no problem doing so.

I've now asked you 3 times to explain whatever it is you're trying to say (if you have anything to say at all) and you refuse to do so other than to be needlessly smarmy and condescending and accusatory (yeah, you have)...while adding nothing to the conversation.

ive wasted enough time with my responses to you - go troll someone else.
2638467, what's the public reaction to you? mostly youtube comments.
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Jan-18-18 10:09 PM

2638469, Sorry - still not following you
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Jan-18-18 10:32 PM
Not sure what my facetious comment to ceej has to do with anything or the supposed double extra secret thing that i want to say but its just so awful that i cant bring myself to say it
2638480, I'm sure.
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Jan-19-18 01:52 AM

2638490, LOL. they handing out fancy okp badges to trolls nowadays?
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Jan-19-18 09:04 AM
sad state of affairs this place has become
2638504, pretty sure RJ is from Michigan so I think this is personal to him
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Jan-19-18 10:12 AM
plus he aint about shit but accusing dudes of being who he used to be and still is..
2638659, it's more personal to him because of the MSU involvement?
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Jan-19-18 06:09 PM
or because he's a loser mich fan?

i would think this is a pretty horrifying situation regardless of the state you reside in.

>plus he aint about shit but accusing dudes of being who he
>used to be and still is..

explain this?
2638662, I rep the MAC.
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Jan-19-18 06:24 PM

2638668, you rep the trolls
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Jan-19-18 06:40 PM
2638670, I think we can go all the way this year
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Jan-19-18 07:04 PM
our time under the bridge has led to good team cohesion.

2638607, you're like 15 years late on this news also I thought you were done.
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Jan-19-18 02:31 PM

2638655, i said i was done wasting my time attempting to convo with you
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Jan-19-18 06:03 PM
im not done calling you out for what you are. which is a troll. ill call you out on that shit all day long. idgaf.

you've done nothing other than attempt to derail this thread and agitate. that would be the literal definition of trolling. which is a shit move in general, but particularly pathetic given the subject matter of this thread.

the fact that you're a 'mod' on top of that is just some extra irony but given the moderating history of this forum it's really not all that surprising.
2638661, I asked a question. you don't want to answer it.
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Jan-19-18 06:24 PM
now you're claiming that's my fault.

this is where we are.

2638667, ^^this is you trolling
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Jan-19-18 06:40 PM
or you're illiterate and aren't cognizant of the accusatory and cryptic garbage you've been spamming this thread with for the past 8 replies...which one is it?
2638669, apparently I can troll you merely by recapping a thread.
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Jan-19-18 07:03 PM

2638671, no, your absurdly inaccurate recap is you trolling me
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Jan-19-18 07:20 PM
nothing you added to this exchange was coherent
2638694, if you think it's inaccurate, or untruthful then that's on you
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Jan-19-18 11:59 PM
but your responses show that it has been coherent.

you just don't like it.

it's simple man, say what you want to say and stop hedging. or just stop entirely.

2638707, RE: if you think it's inaccurate, or untruthful then that's on you
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sat Jan-20-18 10:54 AM
>but your responses show that it has been coherent.

no my responses have been 'i have no idea what you're talking about'. because that is the truth. i have no idea what you're talking about aka your thoughts are incoherent and you have yet to pose any thing that falls under the definition of a question.

you have made more posts in this thread than im willing to count but have yet to disclose wtf it is that you're talking about. that's because you're bullshitting. you're trolling. you're spamming this thread with nonsense. either say the big dark secret that you believe to be on my mind (myself nor anybody else has the ability to read your mind and answer it for you) or go back to playing hall monitor or whatever useless lame shit you do around here.

>you just don't like it.

I cannot dislike what I don't know to exist. I cannot dislike or disagree with your statements because you haven't said anything.

this is where you troll and say 'you know what I'm thinking you just can't admit to your guilt'. that does not fall under the definition of asking a coherent question. that falls under the category of incoherent trolling.

if you actually have a coherent thought in that brain of yours why not say it? what is stopping you? how much time are you willing to waste before you admit that you're merely getting off on trolling a sexual abuse thread?

>it's simple man, say what you want to say

i said what i wanted to say in my initial post where i was more than happy to elaborate on my thoughts as per your request. feel free to refer to post 47. anything beyond that will require specifics from you.
2639563, LOL.
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Jan-24-18 03:42 AM
yeah, you have no idea.

2639589, ^^bumps this 4 day old dumb shit just to troll
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Jan-24-18 09:31 AM
there are meds to help with your compulsions

take a break from your moderating duties and hit up a local doc. maybe okp can foot the bill for you - not sure what their moderator benefits package includes.
2639591, physician, heal thyself.
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Jan-24-18 09:38 AM

2638308, This was an active coverup by MSU. (partial swipe)
Posted by soulfunk, Thu Jan-18-18 07:38 AM
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/tech/2018/01/18/msu-president-told-nassar-complaint-2014/1042071001/

What MSU knew: 14 warned of Nassar abuse

8 women reported abuse claims, at least one of which reached president

Kim KozlowskiUpdated 7 hours ago

Reports of sexual misconduct by Dr. Larry Nassar reached at least 14 Michigan State University representatives in the two decades before his arrest, with no fewer than eight women reporting his actions, a Detroit News investigation has found.

Among those notified was MSU President Lou Anna Simon, who was informed in 2014 that a Title IX complaint and a police report had been filed against an unnamed physician, she told The News on Wednesday.

“I was informed that a sports medicine doctor was under investigation,” said Simon, who made the brief comments after appearing in court Wednesday to observe a sentencing hearing for Nassar. “I told people to play it straight up, and I did not receive a copy of the report. That’s the truth.”

Among the others who were aware of alleged abuse were athletic trainers, assistant coaches, a university police detective and an official who is now MSU’s assistant general counsel, according to university records and accounts of victims who spoke to The News.

Collectively, the accounts show MSU missed multiple opportunities over two decades to stop Nassar, a graduate of its osteopathic medical school who became a renowned doctor but went on to molest scores of girls and women under the guise of treating them for pain.

Nassar, 54, pleaded guilty to assaulting nine girls in Ingham County but faces more than 150 civil suits that also involve MSU and others. Already sentenced to 60 years in prison for child pornography in federal court, Nassar will be in Ingham County Circuit Court on Thursday for the third day of his sentencing hearing for seven counts of criminal sexual conduct.

Asked about the women who said they tried to alert MSU to Nassar’s misconduct, Simon declined to comment.

“Those issues are points of dispute and part of civil litigation and I am not going to comment on,” she said. “What I can tell you is what I knew, straight up. My standard response is to tell people to play things straight up and I did not receive a copy of the report.”

Show Caption
Nassar’s case has drawn comparisons to that of Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State assistant football coach who was found guilty in 2012 of molesting boys on campus. Three university officials, including president Graham Spanier, were sentenced to prison for failing to report Sandusky to authorities.

Former gymnast Rachael Denhollander, who in September 2016 became the first to publicly accuse Nassar of molesting her, says MSU officials should be held accountable for Nassar’s crimes.

“A monster was stopped last year, after decades of being allowed to prey on women and little girls, and he wasn’t stopped by a single person who could have, and should have stopped him at least 20 years ago,” Denhollander told The News last week. “He was stopped by the victims, who had to fight through being silenced, being threatened, being mocked, by the officials at MSU who they appealed to for help.

“And now the very people who should have been protecting us all along ... have thumbed their nose at any semblance of accountability.”

Two candidates for statewide office have called for Simon’s resignation, despite claims that the university’s legal defense team found no evidence that anyone other than Nassar knew of his criminal conduct.

In a response to a request for information from Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette, former federal prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald, who led an internal MSU inquiry into the Nassar case, wrote: “While many in the community today wish that they had identified Nassar as a predator, we believe the evidence in this case will show that no one else at MSU knew that Nassar engaged in criminal behavior.”

More: Larry Nassar: A trail of sexual abuse

Six women with ties to the university, however, each told The News that they complained to at least one person at MSU when they believed Nassar’s conduct crossed from medical to sexual, and a seventh woman outlined her report to MSU during sentencing. The eighth woman complained to the Meridian Township Police.

Andrea Bitely, a spokeswoman for Schuette, declined to comment on whether his office is investigating who knew what at MSU.

MSU spokesman Jason Cody said the school responded vigorously once Nassar’s crimes came to light in 2016. He said campus police took 135 reports of criminal sexual conduct and executed a search warrant that contributed to Nassar’s convictions. MSU also established a $10 million counseling fund last month.

He said it was “not appropriate” to compare the Nassar case with that of Penn State, where leaders discussed “and illegally ignored” allegations against Sandusky.

“We want to reiterate again that we are truly sorry for the abuse Nassar’s victims suffered, the pain it caused and the pain it continues to cause,” he said. “As the president said at the December board meeting, this situation also reinforces the importance of taking a hard look at ourselves and learning from what happened — because it should never happen again.”
2638336, fuck any institution that would willingly harbor this wretch...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Thu Jan-18-18 10:57 AM
..and anyone that helped cover up his shenanigans can eat a dick up © dixpop.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2638657, Aly Raisman torched everyone in her testimony (swipe)
Posted by pretentious username, Fri Jan-19-18 06:08 PM
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/01/19/aly-raisman-larry-nassar-testimony/
2638677, flames
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Fri Jan-19-18 10:24 PM
2638695, new levels of ether. calling them all out.
Posted by GOMEZ, Sat Jan-20-18 12:54 AM
2638666, MSU Board of Trustees is of course backing the pres (LINK)
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Jan-19-18 06:39 PM
Because all these people are fucking despicable and couldn't care less about the girls/women that were molested.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/22151987/lou-anna-simon-gets-vote-support-remain-president-michigan-state-university
2638678, fuck Michigan State
Posted by will_5198, Fri Jan-19-18 10:26 PM
hope they fail at everything until this snake is cut off at the head
2638703, So is Izzo
Posted by Ceej, Sat Jan-20-18 10:31 AM
2638709, weird
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sat Jan-20-18 10:57 AM
you'd think izzo and dino would want to stay a million miles away from this

as of now it doesnt really have to effect their programs. but it could if they get extra stupid about it.
2638725, damn. used to like Izzo.
Posted by will_5198, Sat Jan-20-18 12:53 PM
and he has a daughter too. program and school before everything, I guess.
2638722, MSU President: "We didn't know! *kanyeshrug*"
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat Jan-20-18 12:29 PM
MSU president sent out an email to everyone. The excerpt of note

In a recent letter to the Michigan State Attorney General, MSU's external counsel, including former U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald, underscored those clear instructions from the Board and stated that, ". . . the evidence will show that no MSU official believed that Nassar committed sexual abuse prior to newspaper reports in the summer of 2016."

despite a zillion accusations and the president herself being notified of it. yeah give their program the death penalty
2638726, it will get 1000x worse if they fight this
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sat Jan-20-18 01:32 PM
dummies
2638736, believed
Posted by Ceej, Sat Jan-20-18 03:55 PM
AKA all the girls were lying.
2640334, ^^^ keen peepage. hedge words. (im)plausible denial.
Posted by poetx, Sun Jan-28-18 02:46 PM
they need to burn the whole shit down.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad
2639804, I think he just resigned.
Posted by Castro, Wed Jan-24-18 09:11 PM
2639526, Joel Ferguson, MSU vice chairman of the board, sinks to new low
Posted by will_5198, Tue Jan-23-18 10:48 PM
per a radio show appearance yesterday, we got these gems of depravity...

- on the decision for the board of trustees to back Lou Anna Simon as president:

"The meeting we had the other day was five hours. And talking Lou Anna was 10 minutes," he said, later saying: "We unanimously decided in that meeting right away...we were going to support her staying as president.

"There’s so many more things going on at the university than just this Nassar thing."

- the "so many other things going on" at MSU:

"I mean, when you go to the basketball game, you walk into the new Breslin, and the person who hustled and got all those major donors to give money was Lou Anna Simon."

- on whether the NCAA will investigate MSU:

"This is not Penn State," laughed Ferguson. "They were dealing with their football program. ...(The NCAA) is smart enough to know they're not competent to walk in here on this."

- on Nassar's victims:

"The young ladies who have been wronged by this person, I think that...you can never use money to completely make over people’s pain and suffering, but there’s going to be something happening in their favor. I think that when people find out that this person was on an island by himself, I think they’ll move on."

remember guys, Lou Anna Simon got us a new basketball court! fuck. you.

Michigan State alumni and donors, ball is in your court. you let this current group of trustees stay in power, and fuck you all too.
2639528, and people wonder why society doesn't trust institutions anymore.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Tue Jan-23-18 10:54 PM
n/m
2639537, It's Sparty... what do you expect..
Posted by LegacyNS, Tue Jan-23-18 11:44 PM

<---- 5....

2639590, what
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Jan-24-18 09:34 AM

>
>"I mean, when you go to the basketball game, you walk into the
>new Breslin, and the person who hustled and got all those
>major donors to give money was Lou Anna Simon."
2639600, sometimes this level of honesty is refreshing
Posted by smutsboy, Wed Jan-24-18 10:35 AM
he's openly showing what a piece of shit he is and where his priorities are.
2639649, He basically read the Tone Deaf Manual before that interview.
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Jan-24-18 12:34 PM
2640335, added a foreword and updated the bibliography.
Posted by poetx, Sun Jan-28-18 02:48 PM

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad
2639710, wooooooow
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Jan-24-18 01:53 PM
2639716, perhaps the most telling part is calling it "this Nassar thing"
Posted by pretentious username, Wed Jan-24-18 02:04 PM

even if someone isn't trying to minimize a scandal (he absolutely is), saying something like "this Nassar thing" instantly shows you're not taking it as seriously as you should.

>- on whether the NCAA will investigate MSU:
>
>"This is not Penn State," laughed Ferguson. "They were dealing
>with their football program. ...(The NCAA) is smart enough to
>know they're not competent to walk in here on this."

huh? I can't even tell what he's getting at here, and laughing at a Penn State comparison? jesus...
2639667, 40-175 years....
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jan-24-18 12:53 PM
judge is here for it:
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/956222267033341952?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
2639669, Not enough
Posted by Ceej, Wed Jan-24-18 01:01 PM
2639720, he'll never see the outside of a prison, again...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jan-24-18 02:09 PM
mission accomplished. Unless...you roll with the death penalty...absolutely not judging, if so.
2639836, no.
Posted by Ceej, Thu Jan-25-18 07:53 AM
Unless...you roll with the death
>penalty...absolutely not judging, if so.
2639673, she was styling on him...I fux with this lady
Posted by Deebot, Wed Jan-24-18 01:08 PM
2639692, Yeah, she absolutely destroyed his BS letter
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Jan-24-18 01:33 PM
2639711, When she tossed it aside...I was like "Oh shit."
Posted by Ryan M, Wed Jan-24-18 01:59 PM
2639677, I consider myself anti capital punishment
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Jan-24-18 01:14 PM
And I know logically why I believe this.

But this fucker really does not deserve to keep breathing.

https://twitter.com/CarolHLN/status/956219232051609600
Audible gasps in the courtroom as Judge Aquilina reads a letter from #Nassar in which he says, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned” and accusers are "seeking media attention & financial reward."

Yes, "a woman scorned." That's why people are upset, because bitches be crazy.
2639713, a rich, entitled doctor having to spend his life in federal prison
Posted by Deebot, Wed Jan-24-18 01:59 PM
is actually more punishing than the death sentence imo. If he doesn't prefer death now, he most likely would in a few years.
2639758, Yep he got a lot more “examinations” in his future lol
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jan-24-18 04:04 PM
2639815, rape is apparently hilarious
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Jan-24-18 10:50 PM

2639847, If it's happening to this reprehensible beast, it is.
Posted by Brew, Thu Jan-25-18 09:33 AM
2639864, not really.
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Jan-25-18 10:24 AM

2639870, Yep.
Posted by Brew, Thu Jan-25-18 10:41 AM
2639883, I gotta go with RJCC on this. When people talk about "rape culture"
Posted by KosherSam, Thu Jan-25-18 11:15 AM
this is exactly the kind of thing that it covers.

It's the idea that rape is an acceptable punishment for a certain kind of behavior. That same mentality is why women get asked "what were you wearing? did you lead him on? why did you go back to his apartment?" etc. after a sexual assault. The mentality dictates that if you do x, y, or z, then the result is that a rape will happen. It normalizes rape as the logical outcome of certain behaviors, and ingrains it into the culture.
2639884, Fair enough.
Posted by Brew, Thu Jan-25-18 11:20 AM
I guess I need to re-evaluate a little bit because of what we've/I've learned over the course of the last couple of years, about just how deep this shit runs. Semi-facetious commentary isn't really appropriate anymore, you guys are right I suppose.

Maybe I should rephrase and say that while I wouldn't wish that type of thing on anyone and definitely shouldn't joke about it, I wouldn't exactly shed a tear for this dude if it happened to him, either.

But either way, this whole conversation started from a tongue-in-cheek comment so to you guys' point, the conversation shouldn't have happened in the first place. And you're probably right.
2639850, almost as hilarious as u going up/down this thread lecturing on behavior
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Jan-25-18 09:51 AM
your self awareness is less than zero

you have no objective here other than to agitate

you are a troll.
2639866, so, just to recap, the troll is...not the guy following someone around
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Jan-25-18 10:25 AM
hmmmm

2639828, those letter excerpts...holy shit.
Posted by will_5198, Thu Jan-25-18 01:26 AM
and he wrote it *after* he plead guilty. right to the end, he's as worthless as a human being can possibly be:

"The federal judge went ballistic at sentencing since I pled guilty to the state case. I have pleaded guilty to possession of (child) porn from 9/2004 to 12/2004. Four months. And also, they could not prove that I viewed it. It was all deleted, of course. So for four months of (child) porn possession from 2004, I was sentenced to 60 years, not proper, appropriate there."

"What I did in the state cases was medical, not sexual. But, because of a porn, I lost all support and thus another reason for this state's guilty plea."

"So I tried to avoid a trial to save the stress to this community and my family and victims, yet, look what is happening. It is wrong."

"I was a good doctor because my treatments worked and those patients that are now speaking out were the same ones that praised and came back over and over and referred family and friends to see me. The media convinced them that everything I did was wrong and bad."

"This is just a complete nightmare. The stories that are being fabricated to sensationalize this."

"They are seeking the media attention and financial reward."

(c) Larry Nassar
2639846, WTF.
Posted by Brew, Thu Jan-25-18 09:32 AM
This dude deserves everything that's coming to him.
2639854, this is coming from a guy who genuinely things he should've been excused
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Jan-25-18 09:58 AM
from listening to witness testimony because he felt it might be too damaging for him.

he's next level deranged and living in a fantasy land so nothing that comes out of his mouth should surprise you.

i guess it's just shocking to be so deranged yet intelligent enough to articulate his thoughts which then gives you a window into how he manipulated others. he was intelligent enough to manipulate A LOT of people over the years and that really sucks. you would think someone that fucked up wouldn't be able to function at such a high level in society.
2639872, It's pretty terrifying. He clearly even somehow manipulated ...
Posted by Brew, Thu Jan-25-18 10:43 AM
>from listening to witness testimony because he felt it might
>be too damaging for him.
>
>he's next level deranged and living in a fantasy land so
>nothing that comes out of his mouth should surprise you.
>
>i guess it's just shocking to be so deranged yet intelligent
>enough to articulate his thoughts which then gives you a
>window into how he manipulated others. he was intelligent
>enough to manipulate A LOT of people over the years and that
>really sucks. you would think someone that fucked up wouldn't
>be able to function at such a high level in society.

... people at MSU, people in the Olympic Committee, US Gymnastics, etc. No idea how someone that deplorable goes on as long as he does.

The people who enabled him need to be brought down, too. They are complicit.
2639755, Soooo when are officials at USOC, MSU and US Gymnastics
Posted by smutsboy, Wed Jan-24-18 04:00 PM
going down?
2639760, The US Gymnastic board members "resigned." Which isn't really shit
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Jan-24-18 04:06 PM
Considering that they should all be prosecuted.

All three organizations are up to their necks in lawsuits, or at least will be soon.

But I certainly hope that if criminal investigations haven't already started, they will soon.
2639779, it's what really matters.
Posted by will_5198, Wed Jan-24-18 06:57 PM
Nassar was the shooter, but all three organizations gave him the gun and reloaded it for him multiple times
2639803, Anyone who showed any complicity deserves to be prosecuted
Posted by josephmurf2384, Wed Jan-24-18 09:05 PM
I really like MSU but this should be death penalty worthy.
2639805, MSU pres just resigned in one of the worst public statements ever.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jan-24-18 09:26 PM
I’m on mobile so can’t post it— someone post it. It is beyond tone-deaf. She should never be allowed to work anywhere ever again.
2639807, From the twittah
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Jan-24-18 09:30 PM
https://twitter.com/thesnews/status/956342054937907201

Simon is a fucking piece of shit
2639808, not a single bit of contrition from this school.
Posted by will_5198, Wed Jan-24-18 09:50 PM
the entire leadership body of Michigan State should be gone. and this could happen tomorrow if the money stopped coming in. but it won't, because this place is rotten from the inside out.

this week you had the face of the athletic program complaining how it was "a rough week for him" and "I hope the right person was convicted." a head trustee actually laughing off the entire "Nassar thing" and bragging about pocket change civil payouts being the extent of MSU's culpability. and now the president, resigning with her head up high, blaming a "tragedy that became politicized."

fuck this place. as I said above, this is on everybody else that's a part of MSU to fix -- anybody still donating money while these criminals remain in power is a big part of the problem.
2639814, ^
Posted by Brew, Wed Jan-24-18 10:44 PM
2639880, this had to have been written by the onion...
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jan-25-18 11:03 AM
"as tragedies are politicized, blame is inevitable". Like...she STILL doesn't give a fuck what happened. Amazing!!!!
2640120, and of course, she gets several gold watches on the way out:
Posted by will_5198, Fri Jan-26-18 11:38 AM
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/01/25/president-simon-resignation-msu-nassar/1064398001/

— Can immediately return as faculty member, with an automatic 12-month paid leave of absence for "research"
— Salary during her leave will be 750k, same as when she was president
— Salary in second year after return will remain at 750k, then drop to 562k after that (still more than any other faculty member at MSU makes, by 130k)
— Lifetime free football tickets to the Spartan Club suites
— Lifetime free women's basketball tickets
— Lifetime men's basketball tickets (at cost) in her preferred section
— Lifetime parking passes for on-campus and sporting events

“In the 200+ presidential contracts we’ve reviewed, this is the only contract that provides for the president to receive 100% of their last presidential base salary for the first year that they return to the faculty,” James Finkelstein, a professor emeritus at the Schar School of Policy and Government at George Mason University and the leading researcher of presidential pay, told the Free Press in an email.

“So based on this contract, it would appear that Dr. Simon will be paid more than twice the amount of the most highly paid faculty member in the College of Education. In addition, she will be paid more than the most highly paid faculty member in the entire university, C. Konrad Gelbke who makes $433,441. He is one of the world’s leading physicists.”

"Other than the granting of emeritus status, we rarely see such benefits in any contracts," Finkelstein said. "What is extremely unusual about these benefits is that so many of these are related to sporting events.

"In fact, this is the only contract that we’ve seen with these specific types of benefits.

"In addition, this is the only contract we’ve seen that provides lifetime technical computer support for both the president and a spouse/partner. The way this contract reads, this support seems to go beyond what is typically provided to other emeritus faculty in that the Office of the President is required to pay for such support."
2640125, Wow...
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Jan-26-18 11:42 AM
2640152, this is mad...just, insane shit
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Jan-26-18 01:37 PM
2640121, Now the AD resigns...
Posted by MaxPtah, Fri Jan-26-18 11:38 AM
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/22223678/michigan-state-athletic-director-mark-hollis-resigns
2640127, Hope the right guy resigned
Posted by Ceej, Fri Jan-26-18 11:45 AM
2640132, #prayforIzzo
Posted by will_5198, Fri Jan-26-18 11:48 AM
two of his long-time MSU friends, gone in the same week? all while coaching a basketball team?

I can't imagine
2640155, Dantonio might not be long for his job either
Posted by Marauder21, Fri Jan-26-18 01:57 PM
Good lord, what an awful institution (and I'm not under the impression that there aren't similar things going on at most big time athletic schools.)
2640151, Izzo & Dantonio ain’t safe:
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jan-26-18 01:30 PM
http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/22214566/pattern-denial-inaction-information-suppression-michigan-state-goes-larry-nassar-case-espn
2640154, It's a wrap...
Posted by LegacyNS, Fri Jan-26-18 01:53 PM

<---- 5....

2640162, Dana Altman and Richard Pitino still have jobs.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Jan-26-18 03:05 PM
Izzo isn’t going anywhere. College basketball fans on the whole, like NBA and NFL fans, don’t really care.
2640163, There are "retirement" rumblings. He is NOT safe.
Posted by Ceej, Fri Jan-26-18 03:08 PM
>Izzo isn’t going anywhere. College basketball fans on the
>whole, like NBA and NFL fans, don’t really care.
2640167, I’d be surprised, but maybe there are details to come.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Jan-26-18 03:20 PM
I’d only imagine this goes down if there are really incriminating, specific to pin down on Izzo details waiting in the wings.

I’m always endlessly pessimistic on things like this.
2640168, It's metoothousand18. he let a coach, coach after punching &raping some1
Posted by Ceej, Fri Jan-26-18 03:30 PM
This is not going away anytime soon.
2640182, izzo gotta gizzo
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Jan-26-18 06:35 PM
2640165, we're in a new era, a lot of people that were safe before aren't now
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jan-26-18 03:17 PM
2640166, The terrible Richard Pitino story was two weeks ago.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Jan-26-18 03:19 PM
The Dana Altman story was just last year.

These aren’t ancient tales. They’re all new and ongoing allegations. The ADs just don’t care for the most part as long as they can say they’re legally covered.
2640249, Fire them all, burn the place to the ground
Posted by J_Stew, Sat Jan-27-18 02:53 PM
2640159, When do we start talking MSU death sentence?
Posted by bentagain, Fri Jan-26-18 02:50 PM
I'm saying...given the PSU example...?
2640216, over sixty million a year in revenue....
Posted by Castro, Sat Jan-27-18 12:14 AM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/msu/sports/m-footbl/auto_a_astorywide/12676806.jpeg

they would sacrifice Izzo if they could, but the football program, these heartless mickeyfickeys will hem and haw, fire folks, and do fake investigations until the bitter end.
2640226, Kids chanted "We Love Izzo" tonight.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Jan-27-18 03:43 AM
I bet the boosters feel the same.
2640253, morally or in reality?
Posted by smutsboy, Sat Jan-27-18 03:46 PM
because in the case of the latter:

never
2640240, Magic cut Adreian Payne after his name surfaces in MSU sexual assault scandal
Posted by LegacyNS, Sat Jan-27-18 12:18 PM
Report: Magic cut Adreian Payne after his name surfaces in MSU sexual assault scandal

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-magic-cut-adreian-payne-name-surfaces-msu-sexual-assault-scandal-054944174.html
<---- 5....

2640254, would they have cut a super star over it?
Posted by smutsboy, Sat Jan-27-18 03:47 PM
nope
2640256, it would have been talked about differently at the draft
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sat Jan-27-18 04:39 PM
the magic didnt draft him, so they probably didnt even know about it

but its old news in a way
2640257, nfl does the same shit
Posted by smutsboy, Sat Jan-27-18 05:35 PM
when it's a nobody who gets accused, they get cut.

if it's a star player facing his first accusation, they 'wait for all the facts to come out'
2640258, Former Michigan State player and LAC assistant Travis Walton on leave
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sat Jan-27-18 05:54 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/clippers-place-former-g-league-assistant-coach-travis-walton-leave-004749216.html
2640299, Izzo is finished. Dantonio is on standby..
Posted by LegacyNS, Sun Jan-28-18 08:25 AM

<---- 5....

2640307, "Sport is an empty vessel if we allow it be filled with rogue elements, people who would rather protect their sports than your child,"
Posted by j0510, Sun Jan-28-18 10:30 AM
"Sport is an empty vessel if we allow it be filled with rogue elements, people who would rather protect their sports than your child,"

https://twitter.com/cnnsport/status/957578258656108547
2640353, Izzo sticks to the script, gets rightly roasted. (video)
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Jan-28-18 07:17 PM
https://twitter.com/Josh_Stirn/status/957713285360517120

Of course, every MSU fan on Twitter is furiously defending him.
2640418, lmao
Posted by Ceej, Mon Jan-29-18 10:10 AM
Sure take this article and run Izzo in the ground some more. When this is said and done I hope GOD holds all who did this to Izzo and Dantanio accountable.
2640422, RE: lmao
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jan-29-18 10:21 AM
"If you really think that Mark Dantonio & Tom Izzo are bad people, then you're a bigger scum bag than the ESPN reports embellishing stories about them." (c) MSU Twitter

the fuck...
2640428, cmon, the coaches reported everything.. this is all old news...
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Jan-29-18 11:12 AM
Those are some of the things I'm hearing. I don't think fans understand that when all of these people are hiding info, bypassing protocol (including law enforcement), etc for the benefit of athletes it's hard for anyone to accept that the coaches aren't aware since they're the primary beneficiaries. If external investigation come to the same conclusions as did investigations in E. Lansing so be it but I have a feeling there's a lot more there than what's we know to date.

<---- 5....

2640432, Joe Paterno agrees with you
Posted by bentagain, Mon Jan-29-18 11:53 AM
2640461, speaking of PSU
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Jan-29-18 01:33 PM
You were highlighting the difference above and I'd argue that JoePa really had nothing to directly gain by Sandusky's behavior. It was mostly about protecting the image of PSU. In MSUs case, if you have the athletic department "investigating" issues w/o following protocol, campus police discouraging women from filing reports, prosecutor refusing to bring charges based on the temperament of the accuser rather than the evidence of the case, etc then that's completely different issue which serves the best interest of various programs at MSU (gymnastics, football, basketball, etc).

If we're saying JoePa had to know and should have done more then if ANY if any of these cases reveal sexual assaults that weren't properly handled I don't know how the same standard wouldn't apply.

<---- 5....

2640485, RE: speaking of PSU
Posted by j0510, Mon Jan-29-18 03:07 PM
>You were highlighting the difference above and I'd argue that
>JoePa really had nothing to directly gain by Sandusky's
>behavior.

https://deadspin.com/5865111/joe-paterno-and-chairman-of-jerry-sanduskys-charity-were-pursuing-125-million-real-estate-deal-when-sandusky-was-caught-allegedly-sodomizing-boy
2640497, I'm speaking specifically in the context of PSUs football program..
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Jan-29-18 04:15 PM
JoePa had nothing to gain from Sandusky's behavior.. It wasn't like Sandusky was helping him win nattys when this came out. Now, personally that could be another matter altogether..

<---- 5....

2640508, ...and JoePa 'allegedly' went to the AD the next day...
Posted by bentagain, Mon Jan-29-18 05:44 PM
March 2, 2002 - Graduate Assistant Mike McQueary tells Coach Joe Paterno that on March 1, 2002, he witnessed Sandusky sexually abusing a 10-year-old boy in the Lasch Building showers. (On May 7, 2012, prosecutors file court documents to change the date of the assault to on or around February 9, 2001.)

March 3, 2002 - Paterno reports the incident to Athletic Director Tim Curley. Later, McQueary meets with Curley and Senior Vice President for Finance and Business Gary Schultz. McQueary testifies that he told Curley and Schultz that he saw Sandusky and the boy engaged in anal sex; Curley and Schultz testify they were not told of any such allegation. No law enforcement investigation is launched.

To start...if your theory is right...why would he relay McQueary's story to anybody...instead of burying it

But to my original point...if we're buying in to the plea cop...the coach can't know everything...it's not his job...etc...

That didn't work for JoePa either.
2641226, victims father tried to give Larry the business...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Feb-02-18 01:53 PM
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/22298251/father-three-daughters-tries-attack-larry-nassar-courtroom
2648273, MSU dean had videos of Nassar's sexual assaults on his work computer.
Posted by will_5198, Tue Mar-27-18 06:36 PM
William Strampel was in charge of the College of Osteopathic Medicine and Nassar's boss. Strampel was responsible for letting Nassar return to work after a 2014 Title IX investigation. I truly hope that MSU is headed for financial ruin.

A former Michigan State University dean had a video on his computer of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar abusing a patient, according to a police affidavit.

The former dean, William Strampel, was in charge of the school’s College of Osteopathic Medicine, making him Nassar’s boss. Strampel was arrested Monday on charges of criminal sexual conduct.

Police seized Strampel’s university computer in February and discovered “approximately 50 photos of bare vaginas, nude and semi-nude women, sex toys and pornography.” Many of the photos appear to depict Michigan State students, according to the affidavit.

“Also uncovered on Strampel’s work computer were pornographic videos and a video of Dr. Larry Nassar performing ‘treatment’ on a young female patient,” the affidavit says.

https://www.si.com/olympics/2018/03/27/michigan-state-william-strampel-larry-nassar-abuse-video-computer
2648276, Holy fuck.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Mar-27-18 07:23 PM
2648281, just burn that shithole down..
Posted by LegacyNS, Tue Mar-27-18 08:54 PM

<---- 5....

2648371, this whole thing fell out of the news cycle rather fast
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Mar-28-18 04:09 PM
i guess that can happen given there's a new catastrophe on a weekly basis
2648373, dean of the med school smh
Posted by cgonz00cc, Wed Mar-28-18 04:15 PM
pretty much confirms that the problem is institutional
2648534, cotdamn, man...people are horrible....
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Mar-29-18 06:55 PM
how the fuck do you go to sleep at night knowing some shit like this?
2648532, They spent $500k monitoring his victims. Death Penalty needed.
Posted by Castro, Thu Mar-29-18 06:35 PM
2648548, yeah, they shouldn't be allowed to play sportsball anymore
Posted by GOMEZ, Thu Mar-29-18 10:15 PM
they're not grown up enough to handle it at that school. They still seem to think like they can talk their way out of it too.
2649980, Former MSU student accuses 3 2015 MSU players of rape.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Apr-09-18 04:14 PM
Systemic.

https://twitter.com/sbell021/status/983444270790201344
2649992, Izzo gotta go
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Apr-09-18 06:59 PM
2650623, So the new president former Governor tried to pay off a victim for $250k
Posted by Ceej, Fri Apr-13-18 01:30 PM
Then he said they are raising tuition to cover the legal fees they are about to incur.

2650636, East Landfill bonfire on deck...
Posted by LegacyNS, Fri Apr-13-18 02:23 PM

<---- 5....

2650637, I thought we already hit the whole iceberg
Posted by pretentious username, Fri Apr-13-18 02:28 PM
and MSU keeps adding more ice to the thing for some reason.
2650639, just when i thought they couldn't get much lower...
Posted by GOMEZ, Fri Apr-13-18 02:36 PM
I'm having a hard time coming up with a reasonable punishment for all these fucks, and the institution as a whole. I'd be happy w/a firing squad, though.
2650642, Fuckers tried to cut the victim off too
Posted by Ceej, Fri Apr-13-18 02:54 PM
Anything to protect fat fuck engler
2650650, yeah, i saw that. so so vile.
Posted by GOMEZ, Fri Apr-13-18 03:24 PM
2650646, loss of accreditation / decertification
Posted by cgonz00cc, Fri Apr-13-18 03:04 PM
2650653, like I said before...
Posted by will_5198, Fri Apr-13-18 03:43 PM
if everyone who gave money to Michigan State -- and like any major university there are some huge donors/boosters -- decided to cut off all financial contributions this afternoon, we could get this fixed with the right people in charge.

but they won't. it's a systemic, complicit, institutional crime. we had a couple fall guys go, but the same leadership is still rowing this boat.
2650659, Death penalty. No sports. Period.
Posted by Castro, Fri Apr-13-18 07:49 PM
2657023, MSU settles w/ the victims for 500 Million
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed May-16-18 11:25 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/05/16/michigan-state-settles-larry-nassar-lawsuits-for-500-million/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.75c236fb410e
2657029, How much $ does MSU make in a year?
Posted by Deebot, Wed May-16-18 11:29 AM
because I have no idea if this is alot or a little.
2657067, Doesnt matter, the students will pay this
Posted by select_from_where, Wed May-16-18 01:11 PM
2657074, Yeah, I was about to say that this will mostly lead to higher tuition
Posted by mrhood75, Wed May-16-18 01:40 PM
As well as higher costs for campus housing, meal plans, books, etc.
2657044, Keep saying "alleged" but pay $500m
Posted by Ceej, Wed May-16-18 11:54 AM
disgraceful
2657476, even better. the 500M comes w/ a caveat
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri May-18-18 01:48 PM
That $500M MSU settlement with Nassar victims? It comes with a caveat: the victims agree to stop advocating for the Michigan Legislature to pass two bills removing governmental immunity in cases involving childhood sexual abuse:
https://deadspin.com/michigan-states-nassar-settlement-could-set-a-troubling-1826139831
2657481, lawd hammecy
Posted by LegacyNS, Fri May-18-18 01:58 PM

<---- 5....

2657488, wtf? no shame
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri May-18-18 02:55 PM
2660875, What in the entire fuck is happening in EL?
Posted by Ceej, Mon Jun-04-18 01:37 PM
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/michigan-state-health-physicist-charged-with-bestiality-with-dog
2661082, my goodness.....dafuq
Posted by LegacyNS, Tue Jun-05-18 07:44 AM

<---- 5....

2661089, Is it that bad in Michigan? WTF
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jun-05-18 08:15 AM
2661091, they wildin
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Jun-05-18 08:33 AM
2669012, Ohio State too..
Posted by LegacyNS, Sun Jul-22-18 07:24 AM
Ohio State: More than 100 former students allege sexual abuse by ex-team doctor Richard Strauss

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2018/07/20/ohio-state-over-100-allege-sexual-abuse-doctor-richard-strauss/807699002/

More than 100 former Ohio State students have come forward with sexual misconduct allegations against a former team doctor, the school announced on Friday.

Ohio State hired an outside firm to conduct an investigation into Richard Strauss after several former wrestlers earlier this year alleged they were subjected to sexual abuse or harassment. The firm, Perkins Coie, has conducted more than 200 interviews with former Ohio State students and staff into allegations of abuse that span from 1979 to 1997.

“We are grateful to those who have come forward and remain deeply concerned for anyone who may have been affected by Dr. Strauss’ actions,” Ohio State president Michael V. Drake said in a statement. “We remain steadfastly committed to uncovering the truth.”

Strauss, who died by suicide in 2005, served in various roles in his 20 years at Ohio State, including more than a decade as a team doctor.

The school's statement did not mention Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan, a powerful conservative who is facing allegations from more than a half-dozen former wrestlers that he knew about abuse from Strauss when he was an assistant wrestling coach at Ohio State from 1987 to 1995.

Jordan spoke with investigators about Strauss on Monday in Ohio, according to his spokesman, Ian Fury. Jordan has denied the allegations, and 15 wrestlers and six former coaches have come to his defense. However, Russ Hellickson, the head coach at the time who has defended Jordan, told USA TODAY he was aware Strauss made the athletes uncomfortable.

Ohio State said that Perkins Coie, which is in contact with area prosecutors, is expected to conduct at least 100 more interviews.

Earlier this week, two lawsuits seeking class-action status were filed against Ohio State in federal court. One of the lawsuits, filed by four former Ohio State wrestlers who alleged multiple instances of abuse during the 1980s and 1990s, estimated “1,500 to 2,500 male student athletes” may have been abused.

Former athletes from 14 sports (baseball, cheerleading, cross country, fencing, football, gymnastics, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, swimming, tennis, track, volleyball and wrestling) and former patients at Student Health Services have come forward with sexual misconduct allegations against Strauss.

Strauss is also alleged to have abused patients at a private off-campus medical office he established in 1996. The victims, the school said, could have included high-school-age students while he was still employed at Ohio State.

The investigation isn’t reaching out directly to potential victims to avoid re-traumatizing them. Instead, investigators have contacted 115,000 alumni – including former athletes – and plan to notify 147,000 more people, according to Ohio State. The school has created a website for information on the investigation.

<---- 5....

2672588, There’s more
Posted by Ceej, Tue Sep-11-18 04:21 PM
2672589, ummm...I just...wow...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Sep-11-18 05:30 PM
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/24645172/former-michigan-state-field-hockey-player-says-larry-nassar-raped-lawsuit
2672596, Jesus
Posted by RexLongfellow, Wed Sep-12-18 12:49 AM
Hell is too nice a place for some people
2672598, Damn
Posted by The Real, Wed Sep-12-18 07:50 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2679010, How did Larry Nassar deceive so many for so long?
Posted by will_5198, Wed Nov-14-18 09:27 PM
I realize this story doesn't need to be told a million ways, but this is the most definitive report I've read about Nassar, and the one to learn the most from. for anybody who asks why this happened, it's more than institutional abuse. some startling excerpts:

Nassar often invited gymnasts for extra sessions at his home. parents would sit in while he assaulted them casually in the same room, under the guise of general physical treatment.

"There was a chair a few feet away, by the television, where Dawn (mother) sat that day and many, many days afterward. It was angled such that she could see only Trinea's (her daughter) head and shoulders. Larry maintained a steady, quick patter through the treatment. While she was on her stomach, out of her mother’s view but without breaking the flow of conversation with her, he penetrated Trinea with his ungloved hand."

many of the gymnasts who were assaulted did not even believe it themselves, until police found Nassar's hard drive of illegal pornography.

"When the Star broke the story, in September 2016, and all of elite gymnastics read it, not a single person interviewed for this piece believed that Denhollander and a second, anonymous accuser had been assaulted by Nassar. Dawn Homer asked Trinea Gonczar whether Larry could be capable of such a thing, and Trinea said, unreservedly, “No.” She waited patiently for medical experts to come forward and defend the practice.

“They’re describing,” Chloe Myers told her parents, “the exact same treatment I was receiving.” It had helped her back pain, she reasoned, and thus was legitimate. “They weren’t remembering right,” Chloe’s father concluded.

"It was, rather, a set of external hard drives — tossed to the curb in the trash in the days after Denhollander went public, on a day when the garbage crew was behind schedule, and recovered by a police officer.* Had the crew been on time, had the officer been late, had the warrant come through a day after Nassar decided to dump his digital history on the street, he might still have the support of most of the people he abused."

"Healthy people tend not to distinguish between varieties of child pornography or think much about the habits of its consumption, but Nassar’s accumulation of more than 37,000 images suggests an unusual level of deviance even among pedophiles. According to a sentencing memorandum issued by federal prosecutors for the Western District of Michigan, these images form a particularly “graphic” and “hard-core” collection, including children as young as infants and images of children being raped by adults."

"Here was a fact that one simply could not integrate into the image of a dedicated doctor attacked by confused or malicious women. The story stopped making sense. Mothers struggled to find a way to ask their girls whether they’d been digitally penetrated at the gym. Parents awoke for the first time to the possibility that their daughters’ first sexual experience had taken place at the hands of Larry Nassar, often as said parent watched from a few feet away. “Did Larry do anything to you?” Michael Weiszbrod, an affable state administrator, asked his 13-year-old daughter, Ashleigh, a few times, and she shook her head no. He and his wife took this as authoritative until one day, months later, when Weiszbrod found himself watching Nassar’s sentencing hearing at work. He was thinking about another physician who worked at the gym, Brooke, whom Larry was training. When he got home, he put down his bag and turned directly to Ashleigh, who was hunched over her homework, legs crossed on the couch. “Did Larry touch you,” he asked, “different than Brooke touched you?” Ashleigh was very still, and then she was crying. She had seen Larry at Twistars once a week for three years."

https://www.thecut.com/amp/2018/11/how-did-larry-nassar-deceive-so-many-for-so-long.html?
2684658, https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1085254307719663616
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Jan-15-19 11:17 PM
https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1085254307719663616
2684659, I realize SPORTS and *all universities are corrupt
Posted by will_5198, Tue Jan-15-19 11:26 PM
but I can't really fathom being a Michigan State fan at this point in time, or contributing any money to their funding voluntarily
2684660, Can they honestly not find one decent human to put in charge, there???
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Jan-15-19 11:44 PM
2684666, i remember when they showed engler address protesting students
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Jan-16-19 01:12 AM
and he seemed like a genuinely horrible person

so this type of commentary seems pretty on brand for him