Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: The Steelers are the model of consistency in coaches
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2637788&mesg_id=2637827
2637827, RE: The Steelers are the model of consistency in coaches
Posted by DredScott, Sun Jan-14-18 05:23 PM
>People wanted Cowher out a dozen times before he ever won.
>
>People want Tomlin out everytime he loses a game he should
>win.
>
>The Rooney's don't fire based on a bad game or even a bad year
>or two. They understand great teams are built through
>consistency at the coach position. It's worked out well for
>the franchise, fans of pretty much every team minus 2 or 3
>would wish for their last 20+ years, even if it's only been 2
>championships in that time.

As a steelers fan, I already know that Mike's job is safe so I ain't gonna call for him to be fired but he has to take a lot of flack for this and some assistant coaches need to be replaced (see ya, Todd) at the very least. the dilemna of who replaces him is also something to consider because there's only one belicheck and he ain't coming here.

all the talk about Mike being some great coach because of his overall winning % and his super bowl win need to quiet down though. I love that a cool brother like him got a shot in a league notorious for overlooking certain positions (HC & QB) due to racism but just once could tomlin not get outcoached in a big game? Dude is cool as fuck and players love him but gotdamn can this nigga ever get the better of another coach or make in-game adjustments that aren't terribly obvious? If it's him deferring to his coordinators and they are reluctant to change up then it's still on him for not exercising his authority. These steelers teams have been too talented to flame out so early and have it not even be close in some cases. tomlin is losing me with his hyperbole and cliche press conferences every week and saying the right thing and looking the part (which I've come to realize is nearly as important as actually being a good coach in the NFL, since marvin been faking it and never making it due to this for so much longer than he shoulda been allowed to) but then the team he's leading doing nothing different and continuing to make dumb mistakes and continue to get beat our way instead of switching up. the steelers just aren't disciplined anymore and at times play stupid as fuck, i think part of the problem is him being too much of a players coach but that's one of his strong suits so that'll probably never change. I'm all for a coach who has players "willing to run through a brick wall for them" but i'd rather have a coach that shows them they can just walk right through the front door with proper preparation and strategy.

I guess i'll just have to accept that he'll be here until he has a few losing seasons and then the Rooneys MIGHT fire him. I'm realistic so my hopes for next year are that Ben doesn't hang it up, bell stays, we get an o-coordinator that can make our offense the juggernaut it's supposed to be, we pick up a FS with actual coverage skills, grab Evans or Jefferson in the draft to replace Shazier and that our talent-level is high enough to overcome our coach being horribly mediocre strategy wise.