Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI'll offer a correction here.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2634550&mesg_id=2712869
2712869, I'll offer a correction here.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Mar-02-20 11:39 AM

>But you stated that Trae is shooting WELL above league average
>and he CLEARLY is not ....for the season and his 2 years
>combined. Just for the record.

I had the wrong number for 2P%. (See? It's not hard to admit when you misread something.)

League averages this year:
45.9% FG, 35.7% 3PT, 77.1% FT

Trae averages this year (the only season being discussed at any point):
44.1% FG, 36.3% 3PT, 86.2% FT

So you're right. His 2P% is below average for the league. I imagine it's above average for guards, but that doesn't matter-- I had the wrong number for that stat. So I offer that correction.

I double checked my other numbers, and they are all correct (or were at the time of my post, I suppose he may have played another game since then), so the rest of my post remains the same, of course. You continue to try to change the subject to something else. Ryan mentioned a comparison between second year Steph and second year Trae. That's all I've ever addressed. And the facts are what they are. If you'd like to continue to either deflect or pretend the argument is something else (not sure which you're doing), that's all good. If you'd like to address the actual topic at hand, I'd be more than happy to engage with you without condescension, but since you haven't seemed willing to do that, I don't really have a choice.

And before you keep trying to insist on other arguments, I'll just hit on a few of them here. Of course Trae's first year was far more inefficient. That's why I wrote what I wrote about him when he was at Oklahoma above. You can see that I felt the exact same way you do about him. And literally no one who is worth acknowledging on this board would bet money that Trae's career numbers will pass Steph's career numbers. Again, not an argument being made by anyone coherent. And no one is saying Trae is a better shooter than Steph. Again, not an argument being made.

But this year, Trae's offense is notably more efficient than it was as a rookie-- extraordinarily so in fact. And that's why this season in particular is worth talking about. Perhaps it's a blip on his radar and he'll sink back to Earth next year. Or, more excitingly, maybe he'll continue to get even *better* on offense. But when your second year in an NBA uniform has offense that is more efficient or comparably efficient to the second years of many of the best guards the league has seen in the last couple decades? It's worth pointing that out. Because Trae's true shooting, his assist rate, his turnover rate, his impact on the floor? They're really remarkable, man. Arguing against what he's done this year offensively is a losing game.

I'm happy to have you address my topic. Or not. You're free to do as you wish. But as the point I'm making is clear, I don't really feel compelled to reply to any other deflections or topic changes.