Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI'll try to be as fair as possible in my assessment.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2593373&mesg_id=2594278
2594278, I'll try to be as fair as possible in my assessment.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Feb-06-17 04:57 PM
Pros:
- yes, he can score down low. Great feet, great hands. Especially if the court can be spread with shooters, and if Brow plays facing the basket, you could do far worse in terms of fit.
- loads of potential-- been a winner at every level until the pros, where things soured quickly, but it's easy to see how he could contribute if properly developed.

Cons:
- he won't help you win now, as he needs to do some serious work, particularly in terms of defense and defensive rebounding.
- he has physical limitations in terms of how the game is played today-- he's not laterally quick, so he can't defend the wing or stretch bigs on the perimeter AT ALL, and won't ever be able to. He also still gets burned on PnR, which is, y'know, bad. In a game that is increasingly fast-paced, shoot often, run often-- he isn't a shooter and he's not fast. He's an old school big in a world that has increasingly little use for an old school big. Even if he does improve his defense and defensive rebounding and plays to his potential, one could see him becoming a dinosaur.

I think for a New Orleans team that isn't in "win now" mode, picking up a 21-year-old who was an elite prospect two years ago really can't hurt at all. He has more potential than Asik or Ajinca, that's for sure, and he's got another three years on his rookie deal, so if he *does* start meeting his potential, you'd have a bargain. He just comes with risk that he can't adapt to this game, that he'll never play acceptable defense, and you'll have wasted a draft pick in trading for him. So take all of that for what it's worth.