Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectCOLLEGE BASKETBALL STARTS TODAY!!!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2576033
2576033, COLLEGE BASKETBALL STARTS TODAY!!!
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Nov-11-16 02:59 PM
KEY GAMES TODAY:

Marquette vs. Vanderbilt, 6:30 PM EST, CBSSN

Both teams projected to be on the bubble this season. Both lost some key pieces to the NBA last year, and Vandy obviously lost their coach... but gained Bryce Drew, which is a net positive IMO. Kind of weird to already talk about the tournament, but this is the type of game you want to win if you want to make the tournament-- because if your opponent fails to make the tourney, optics will call it a "bad loss."

Lots of shooting bound to happen, as neither team has a ton of depth inside or a predilection for pounding the ball inside and crashing the glass. Real coin flip. Market opened at Vandy -3.5, now it's at Marquette by 1.5-2 points. That trend scares me away from picking Marquette. In the battle of the Lukes, I'll go with Kornet, though it pains me to pick against Wojo.

Arizona vs. Michigan State, 7 PM EST, ESPN

Hot to pick against Arizona right now, with Ray Smith forced into early retirement by injuries (PAY THE PLAYERS) and Allonzo Trier missing some if not all of the season due to suspension for an unknown reason, rumored to be PED use. However, they have a highly touted trio of freshmen just like Michigan State-- and one of them, Lauri Markkanen, is an absolute matchup nightmare for MSU. It'll be interesting to see just how ready Cassius Winston is for Michigan State-- I imagine Parker Jackson-Cartwright will be overmatched on defense against him, so I wonder if the Kobi Simmons era will begin sooner than some maybe expected (at least for this particular matchup). Michigan State is a one-point favorite... but I'll take Arizona here. I think they win the boards which would help them win the game.

Indiana vs. Kansas, 9 PM EST, ESPN

Game of the night/weekend. Best game until Kansas plays Duke in a few days. I don't think the 6-point Kansas spread is fair. Indiana was one of the best teams in the country the last couple of months of last year. Inside, Kansas can't match up against Thomas Bryant. Indiana should feed the big fella early and often, as Bragg and Lucas would really have their hands full against a future lotto pick down low. On the wing, there will be a coming-out party tonight, either for frosh phenom Josh Jackson or for potential breakout star OG Anunoby for Indiana. They should guard one another-- and while Jackson's upside is really high, I wouldn't be surprised if Anunoby's experience and superior shooting touch gives him a slight upper hand. However, it'll come down to the back court. Mason and Graham crushed in the Big 12 last year, whereas James Blackmon was sort of famously awful on defense last season, especially highlighted in the loss to Duke, one of the most embarrassing displays by a team of tremendous talent that I've ever seen. Backcourt will be Indiana's biggest question-- Newkirk should be better defensively than Yogi, but Mason and Graham have the potential to win games by themselves, and I don't see Indiana's backcourt fixing that. I'd take Kansas for the win but Indiana to cover the spread.
2576095, Fear!!!!!....
Posted by Beezo, Fri Nov-11-16 06:25 PM
Let's go.

2576104, American?
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Nov-11-16 07:34 PM
2576106, Familiarity.. chumps are right around the corner. We ain't trippin
Posted by Beezo, Fri Nov-11-16 07:43 PM
2576102, Miles Bridges is super legit.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Nov-11-16 07:16 PM
Langford and Harris starting really well too. Taking it to Arizona.
2576108, The Cuse has it all
Posted by DJR, Fri Nov-11-16 08:01 PM
Not one thing missing on this roster. It's gonna be a fun year.

Frank Howard is a new man, and a breakout year is coming.
2576114, Glad I was wrong on Vandy. Great start for Wojo.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Nov-11-16 08:29 PM
2576161, Huh. Did not see that coming.
Posted by HowieDooem, Fri Nov-11-16 11:32 PM
Most competent we've looked in a few years.
2576181, I hyped JaJuan Johnson hard when he came into D1.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Nov-12-16 10:37 AM
I'm glad to see he may end his career as a truly strong college player. Cheatham is still grossly underrated, and that young kid Hauser looks confident with his jumper. And Vandy last year was one of the best perimeter defenses in the country. Very strong start.
2576200, Jajuan really came alive last season
Posted by HowieDooem, Sat Nov-12-16 02:48 PM
Brett Nelson (remember him?) helped him to retool his shot and it made a big difference, but more important it was clear that something clicked in how he reads the game. On offense, he's become really good at picking his spots--still gambles on defense a lot, but it sure worked for him last night.

Vandy looked like trash though, so I'm trying to keep my optimism in check.
2576204, Vandy should theoretically be a bubble team.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Nov-12-16 03:25 PM
They've been live-by-the-3 etc for a while now, so when shit goes south, it can go very south... I was mostly just surprised by the defense, which was strong last year, and Bryce has been a good defensive coach for a while now too. Wade Baldwin was a player I loved last year... but was he really the *entire* perimeter? Like... really?

Interesting to see where they go. And yeah, as I said on our Big East preview, I like Marquette to have a real shot at landing on the right side of the bubble. This win was obviously a huge first step.
2576120, Beezo, who's this ginger with the shaved head sides?
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Nov-11-16 08:41 PM
2576124, Mr. Kevin Huerter. New York player of the year as a senior
Posted by Beezo, Fri Nov-11-16 08:57 PM
Young Gunna! Grew 2 inches since arriving on campus. He's making Nickens expendable. Instead of doing the running man challenge all summer, he shoulda been doing the dribbling and defensive slide challenge.
2576898, Cuse botched his recruiting, wish he was Orange
Posted by DJR, Tue Nov-15-16 10:00 PM
He can play.
2576126, Kobi Simmons has looked great... but just turned his ankle badly.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Nov-11-16 09:10 PM
Terrible news for Arizona.
2576127, wearing them lows...smh
Posted by Basaglia, Fri Nov-11-16 09:15 PM
2576128, TUM TUM WITH THE DEAD RIM BOUNCE. TIE GAME.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Nov-11-16 09:16 PM
2576134, Wagner beat UConn....Lolololol
Posted by DJR, Fri Nov-11-16 09:30 PM
2576140, Yea
Posted by Beezo, Fri Nov-11-16 09:58 PM
http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/15/13/73/3456728/3/628x471.jpg

2576150, Wagner is my alma mater man. This is major
Posted by Tiger Woods, Fri Nov-11-16 10:41 PM
2576157, I'm not buying this Josh Jackson shit ESPN is selling
Posted by Beezo, Fri Nov-11-16 11:09 PM
Haven't brought it in like 2 years actually.
2576159, To be fair, he's got his hands full today.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Nov-11-16 11:23 PM
If he plays Duke and Tatum isn't healthy, he might go off.
2576162, True.
Posted by Beezo, Fri Nov-11-16 11:41 PM
But that's just it. I saw him a bit on the circuit last summer against equal or similar talent , and I wasn' t impressed .
2576172, javin got that
Posted by Basaglia, Sat Nov-12-16 07:06 AM
2576179, I'd be stunned if Javin plays 12 minutes.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Nov-12-16 10:34 AM
He's too raw at this point, man. He played 17 without Tatum in the game-- and got a foul every 4 minutes. Against Marist. Defending no one of consequence.
2576180, he got it
Posted by Basaglia, Sat Nov-12-16 10:36 AM
2576189, Yeah, not a believer...seems like a lesser version of Wiggins
Posted by theeraser, Sat Nov-12-16 12:06 PM
2576165, Good game right here
Posted by Beezo, Sat Nov-12-16 12:06 AM
2576166, Well played all the way around.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sat Nov-12-16 12:37 AM
Between this and the UA/MSU game, this has been a great night to kick off the year.
2576169, UCLA knocks down 18 3-pointers in opener
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Sat Nov-12-16 02:01 AM
Lonzo Ball and TJ Leaf looking solid...

Bruins back in the game..
2576170, Biggie: 23, 20 and 5 - gheah
Posted by calminvasion, Sat Nov-12-16 02:21 AM
2576554, I went to UW-Yale last night
Posted by HowieDooem, Mon Nov-14-16 02:51 PM
One of the weirdest games/outcomes you could imagine. Washington had a 66% eFG to Yale's 51%, blocked 15 shots to Yale's 0...and managed to lose by 8 and I'm not sure they were even ever within one possession.

Romar!
2576563, And Yale was without their best player!
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Nov-14-16 03:14 PM
Such a weird thing at UW. You can't really get rid of Romar, cuz dude brings in *serious* recruiting talent... but if he doesn't do shit with it, does the talent even matter?
2576574, damn, i just assumed my post would be the first to shit on Romar.
Posted by PROMO, Mon Nov-14-16 03:40 PM
thanks for noticing how much he sucks, i guess?

Howie, you get those stats when you can't coach defense or hire someone who can. UW used to be a defensive juggernaut when they were on their '04-'11 run of tourney appearances.

since? straight to fucking hell. i can't even watch no more i get too mad because it's too obvious.
2576573, BASKETBALL GODS, PLEASE SAVE US FROM LORENZO ROMAR.
Posted by PROMO, Mon Nov-14-16 03:37 PM
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!!!

FUCK.
2576583, what happened to that boy?
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Nov-14-16 04:24 PM
he had em ballin up to about 2010
2576901, He got you the Beige Vegan though
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Nov-15-16 10:54 PM
2576988, i mean, it's cool to see top talent come through the arena...
Posted by PROMO, Wed Nov-16-16 11:39 AM
but, what's the point when the rest of the players, who do have talent but need coaching and care aren't being developed, and the stars are just ticking off games on the calendar until the NBA draft.

i mean, i think the fan base is scared that if you fire him you lose his recruiting with him (i still don't understand some of these guys coming here for HIM) and maybe you do, but i think i'd rather have someone who can "coach up" a bunch of 3-star try-hards into a team that can win games and play defense rather watch the #1 pick put up numbers for 4 months while the other players give up easy buckets and don't improve while in the program.

sometimes you gotta take a step back to take two forward.

that said, if you hire the RIGHT guy, you should still be able to get talent.
2577840, I say fire him and see what happens.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Sun Nov-20-16 10:50 PM
I also say that with full intentions sliding through a crack to get Porter in blue.
2577833, Creighton is going to be a joy to watch all year
Posted by DeepAztheRoot, Sun Nov-20-16 10:37 PM
112 against NC State tonight
2577842, Never bought the State hype. They *still* can't defend.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Nov-20-16 11:04 PM
2577858, You certainly know more about the Pack than I do
Posted by DeepAztheRoot, Sun Nov-20-16 11:44 PM
It won't build the case for CU as much as Wisky did, but good win nonetheless

very deep Jay squad, will be interesting to see if Ole Miss tries to run with them
2577931, I had a lot of money on Wisconsin.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Nov-21-16 11:33 AM
And I had Creighton ranked in my Top 20. I just thought Wisconsin was ready to win the Big 10 this season. Then they settled for jumpshots that whole fucking game. They took 24 2s and 39 3s, and they have one of the best frontcourts in the Big 10-- maybe in the country-- in Happ and Hayes. Maybe the interior defense deserves some credit too, but it seemed to me (and I was admittedly distracted also watching Duke on the next TV over) that Wisconsin just played soft as shit offensively.

And yeah, State never plays defense or forces turnovers. It's been a pretty consistent Gott criticism, and it'll be the same again this year. They have a lot of hype due to Smith, Yurtseven, and Kapita, and I've no doubt they'll win some games, but if they play against a team with an efficient offense, the way McDermott usually has his team playing, they don't really have a real chance.

It'll be tough for Creighton to win the Big East, but I had them finishing third in my preseason rankings, and all it'd take is one or two key wins for them and losses for others to move them up to second (I don't see them passing Villanova, but Xavier seems vulnerable on the inside, which would be good news for Creighton's slashers).
2577919, Illini...I'm just here because nobody else will claim 'em.
Posted by Shogun, Mon Nov-21-16 11:12 AM
We're undefeated, but we've played nothing but small schools.

I think we're playing an AAU team this week.