Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectCowboys Fans: We still arguing about drafting a QB or nah?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2570428
2570428, Cowboys Fans: We still arguing about drafting a QB or nah?
Posted by LegacyNS, Sun Oct-16-16 06:50 PM
just asking...

It should have happened a long time ago. Dak is looking like the real deal even tho it's still early.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================
2570435, come on, man...
Posted by Dstl1, Sun Oct-16-16 06:57 PM
this ain't the time for no divisive shit. Nobody ever said we shouldn't have a successor to Romo in the wings. Chill. We just beat up Green Bay in Lambeau. Let this win marinate.
2570438, to borrow a line from Bags.. I'm petty...lol
Posted by LegacyNS, Sun Oct-16-16 07:01 PM
I argued for a long time that we should draft a QB even if just for a backup but people were giving me shit saying you couldn't find a replacement QB unless we drafted high in the 1st round..

Just wondering if folx were still going with that...

You never really know until you take a chance on a player..
<---- 5....

2570439, It's early but skill-sets don't just disappear
Posted by LA2Philly, Sun Oct-16-16 07:05 PM
Both him and Wentz have shown skill-sets which will translate very well to this level: Pre-snap recognition, patience with progressions, ball accuracy, the ability to create yards with their feet, a commitment to preparation, humility, and arguably most importantly, playing within themselves and allowing the talent around them to excel. Currently, Dak has more offensive talent around him especially with the ground game and he's more than ok with playing off of it.

2570441, I just wanted Cowboys fans to get past our Romo tunnel vision
Posted by LegacyNS, Sun Oct-16-16 07:06 PM
as if we couldn't possibly draft and win with another QB..
<---- 5....

2570453, i don't really understand this post.
Posted by rob, Sun Oct-16-16 07:41 PM
(outside of your silly agenda, which you're trying to morph from anti-romo into something else)

for context, we drafted stephen mcgee in 2009. now, i never approved of our "find starters no one wants as a starter any more" plan, especially last year, but our draft strategy at qb generally made sense until just the past few seasons. probably a season or two late to throw a 2nd-4th rounder at a developmental qb, but i'd say it worked out.

bigger story, we're also reaping the benefits of drafting our first first day safety (jones) and early round dt (collins) in a long time. you have to go back to 2002 and 2001 for similar investments. and unlike the situation with romo, we actually did have *nothing* at those positions during the past decade.
2570458, post #2
Posted by LegacyNS, Sun Oct-16-16 07:59 PM
We had more than one discussion about drafting a QB. Of course we needed a backup but I argued that even a replacement QB could be found outside of the 1st round..

<---- 5....

2570459, i guess i remember it differently
Posted by rob, Sun Oct-16-16 08:02 PM
i remember it more as "it's very unlikely that you'd get a qb better than romo with a mid-first or later pick" discussion.

i think we can all agree wasting picks on backup lbs and tes was not the move. especially when the best case scenario was that they'd break through with other teams on their second contracts.
2570462, I just never had confidence in our ability to draft in general
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Sun Oct-16-16 08:14 PM
until the past few seasons

so the last thing I wanted them doing was taking a gamble on a QB but everyone whos not completely irrational knew we had to do it eventually

ya we probably got pretty lucky with this one too but the "luck" came after atleast a few years of decent draft so its not like we completely stumbled into it
2570472, Zeke >> Emmit Smith
Posted by guru0509, Sun Oct-16-16 09:00 PM

=)

carry on.
2570512, I still can't cheer for chubby face Zeke yet... lol
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Oct-17-16 03:40 AM
I swear Zeke is like that one dude from the hood who can eat a whole hot and ready yet still beat everyone in a foot race.. shit is crazy.. lol
<---- 5....

2570544, you should be happy he isnt around to truck jabrill peppers again
Posted by guru0509, Mon Oct-17-16 10:00 AM
>I swear Zeke is like that one dude from the hood who can eat
>a whole hot and ready yet still beat everyone in a foot race..
>shit is crazy.. lol
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
><---- 5....
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo
>
>=======================================
2570602, Jabrill will take it out on JT...
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Oct-17-16 12:56 PM

<---- 5....

2570673, Like this?
Posted by guru0509, Mon Oct-17-16 06:08 PM
https://vine.co/v/iaDzl0xBjXx

2570675, I'm thinking an updated version of this..
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Oct-17-16 06:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBLHRfQpnJE

<---- 5....

2570745, lol ..had to go back 4 years and show me a highlight from a loss
Posted by guru0509, Tue Oct-18-16 01:55 AM
sad sad michigan man
2570749, stay tuned & quit fuckin up my post with your noise..
Posted by LegacyNS, Tue Oct-18-16 06:11 AM
this is about the Cowboys...
<---- 5....

2570490, *shrug*, I'll say it for them -- you were right
Posted by will_5198, Sun Oct-16-16 10:09 PM
I've seen a lot of thin OKS reasoning behind not drafting a capable back-up over the past few years:

- the team has too many holes to waste a draft pick on a quarterback
- starting NFL quarterbacks are unlikely to be found outside the first round, so again, why bother (ironic considering Romo went undrafted)
- rather have a steady veteran hand like Kyle Orton then a rookie unknown
- Romo is our guy despite whatever failings he's had, let's not create a QB controversy when there isn't one
- you're not going to find a QB better than Romo without a top five pick anyway, so let me know when Dallas wins the next Luck sweepstakes

you were basically the only Cowboys fan on OKS to say fuck it, we need to start looking at QB successors in the draft every season. Romo ain't getting any younger or less hurt, and he hasn't taken Dallas to the promised land while he's been healthy anyway.
2570511, shit is hilarious... mofos got amnesia now.... lol
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Oct-17-16 03:39 AM

<---- 5....

2570667, the man said it himself, it started more than 5 years ago
Posted by rob, Mon Oct-17-16 05:36 PM
and it wasn't about merely prudently procuring a backup/developmental qb. it was about "moving on."

when he made the post, the cowboys had just moved on from investing a 3rd in a jerry jones whim at qb in 2009. not that there were any better qbs available instead of him.

it is also very amusing that in his last post in that thread he points out that in 2011-2, 5 teams (out of what 12? teams that drafted qbs early-ish) had found long term starters, and 2 of those guys became notable busts shortly thereafter.

only a couple of the dudes drafted at qb in 2011-2 would even have been serviceable backups. depending on your opinion of cousins.

hard to argue with the cowboys decisions to draft frederick and martin instead of the available qbs in 2013-4. hard to argue with them skipping the options available later.

so the cowboys could have found an overall #1 pick or found a russell wilson. and it's very possible they did jump on the next russell wilson.
2570747, ^^^All Of This.
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Tue Oct-18-16 02:07 AM
2570689, Lol, dishonesty in spades; an OKS staple
Posted by LA2Philly, Mon Oct-17-16 07:53 PM
2570730, Yep. Fucking revisionist clowns
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Mon Oct-17-16 10:44 PM
I hope they don't trip on their big red shoes
2570772, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=409Pjtq7jzY
Posted by LegacyNS, Tue Oct-18-16 09:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=409Pjtq7jzY

<---- 5....

2570897, That wasn't directed at Will fam
Posted by LA2Philly, Tue Oct-18-16 01:08 PM
I remember very distinctly the visceral reactions of Cowboys fans when the topic of finding a replacement for Romo through the draft came up. I never quite understood those reactions, because after getting past the emotional attachment, it makes great sense that the position which A) has arguably the greatest singular impact and B) is the hardest to assess, likely requires many attempts to hit on.

Will had a perfect example below...Belichek, with arguably the best QB ever at the helm, has drafted 7 qbs. Perhaps he has finally found that heir apparent with Garappalo.
2570943, The entire debate they are shoe-horning into an agenda is from over 5years ago.
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Tue Oct-18-16 03:36 PM
...before Romo got hurt everytime the center snapped the ball. The only legitimate concern worth entertaining at the time was whether or not the Cowboys should begin looking for a young player who may develop into a starter after Romo retires in 5-10 years.

Instead, the Cowboys focused on o-line which Dak is now benefiting from greatly. Good luck to any rookie 5/6 years ago putting on a Prescott performance with what we had.

Still, nobody said eff all about developing a young QB for the future.
2570515, Not fucking fair btw... fuck you cowhoes
Posted by mtbatol, Mon Oct-17-16 06:15 AM
Romo was late round himself and he keeps you guys as competitive as yall been, now as his future is murky you guys get a guy that was what... 4th round?

Fuck yall, not only for lucking up like that but without needing to go top round n shit so your franchise QB is great value n shit. Unlike some of us who had to mortgage our future for the 2nd pick (which at least is paying off so far).

Props,but also fuck yous
2570521, <-- Here to support Petty Wap
Posted by Kira, Mon Oct-17-16 08:27 AM
Is Romo getting benched or forced to rehabilitate his injury which requires additional medical attention?
2570540, and the dilemma in Dallas continues to get deeper.
Posted by KiloMcG, Mon Oct-17-16 09:36 AM
to Dak or not to Dak, that is the question (when Romo returns).

honest to goodness, as a Skins fan, I hope yall put Romo's broken back ass back in there and destroy all this great team chemistry that's going on in Dallas.
2570551, Dak is to Romo, what Romo was to Drew Bledsoe
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Oct-17-16 10:34 AM
if you can't see that: you might wanna turn in your Dallas Star
2570553, *Brady, but yep.
Posted by KiloMcG, Mon Oct-17-16 10:52 AM
2570557, no, Romo took over for Bledsoe in 2006....like 5 games into the season...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Oct-17-16 10:56 AM
he was released at the end of the season.
2570592, oh, my bad
Posted by KiloMcG, Mon Oct-17-16 12:11 PM
i forgot about that
2570654, Yall both right lol, uniquely sad he got ran off from 2 different squads tho :/
Posted by mtbatol, Mon Oct-17-16 04:05 PM
I know it's football and it happens to the best like Montana to Young... but damn. Brady in NE taking his spot as THE marquee face of the franchise, then as he found stood statuesquely in Dallas he gets carted off again for Romo. What luck for him :\
2570660, Bledsoe getting his side blown up by Mo Lewis...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Oct-17-16 04:30 PM
and Brady stepping in is stuff of legend. Few remember that Parcells brought Drew in to replace Testaverde and he actually got a 3 year deal...only to play less than a season and a half, getting replaced by Tony.
2570585, whut?
Posted by LAbeathustla, Mon Oct-17-16 11:56 AM
2570603, Is it time for the Cowboys to move on from Romo?
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon Oct-17-16 01:02 PM
That's how it all started..
<---- 5....

2570707, maybe...its definitely in the discussion now since it seems they
Posted by LAbeathustla, Mon Oct-17-16 09:49 PM
have a capable replacement...before now....nah....again nobody saw DAK coming
2570659, anecdotally it was pretty amusing watching cowboy fans IRL..
Posted by Flash80, Mon Oct-17-16 04:26 PM
and OKP blame garrett after every Big L (rest in peace), while clearing the runway for romo's soft landing and their rationalizations for a sucky performance/choke.
2570661, Garrett is one of the worst playcallers in the history of Western Civilization...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Oct-17-16 04:31 PM
(c)me/Bill Walton. I said when Scott Linehan arrived that things were about to take a turn for the better.
2570666, Garrett still fucks up all the time.
Posted by rob, Mon Oct-17-16 05:13 PM
most of the timeouts yesterday were wasted.

still can't figure out when to challenge a play.

2570668, RE: Garrett is one of the worst playcallers in the history of Western Civilization...
Posted by Flash80, Mon Oct-17-16 05:40 PM
>(c)me/Bill Walton. I said when Scott Linehan arrived that
>things were about to take a turn for the better.

a cowboy fan friend of mine actually thinks linehan's underrated.
2570759, Garrett been smelling like leaky trash for some years now
Posted by Organ, Tue Oct-18-16 08:26 AM
>and OKP blame garrett after every Big L (rest in peace),
>while clearing the runway for romo's soft landing and their
>rationalizations for a sucky performance/choke.

n/m
2570728, NOBODY NOBODY NOBODY argued against drafting QBs...
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Mon Oct-17-16 10:40 PM
...it was the unwarranted shitting in Romo by dense, "petty", armchair GMs who acted like the next Joe Montana was just waiting for us in a Cracker Jack box.

In fact, the Cowboys have drafted and tried to develop young QBs that they evaluated as having potential. None worked out.

Lastly, if it weren't for some random DUI charge or whatever, we wouldn't have gotten Dak, either.

So, yeah, calm your tits
2570731, in fact? who?
Posted by will_5198, Mon Oct-17-16 10:52 PM
>In fact, the Cowboys have drafted and tried to develop young
>QBs that they evaluated as having potential. None worked out.

since Romo became the starter, Dallas drafted *one* quarterback before Prescott this spring. one in nine years.
2570732, Isaiah Stanback, Stephen McGee and Dak
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Mon Oct-17-16 11:04 PM
Dak counts as taking a shot on a QB in the fourth round too, btw.

They didn't draft him because some sudden shift in strategy. Dad's stock dropped because of substance BS. We got lucky rather than suddenly having made some brilliant move that we've been overlooking all these years
2570733, lol, Stanback was converted to receiver in his rookie training camp
Posted by will_5198, Mon Oct-17-16 11:11 PM
McGee was the only quarterback Dallas drafted from 2006-2014. they tried to develop *one* quarterback in Romo's tenure, and then forgot about the position for seven years.

meanwhile, Belichick has drafted eight quarterbacks in Brady's tenure. it's a crapshoot, but you always have to be churning that #2 roster spot -- especially if your starter is over 30. and UDFAs don't count.

Dallas hadn't even tried, not until Romo literally broke down on them last season.
2570735, Fine, let's say I overstated our draft choices...
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Mon Oct-17-16 11:22 PM
...my point is that Jerry, Stephen Jones and Jason Garrett didn't simply just wake up and realize what incredible GMs Legacy and Will are. They've been following the same draft strategy this year as in all previous year.

We didn't "develop" Dak. He fell to us in the fourth round because NFL teams are run by white, conservative idiots who were scared to "take a chance" on a solid but "troubled" player. Dallas would've been dumb to pass on him in the fourth round.

Simply put, the stars aligned in our favor. But some mouth-breathers on this site wanna back-track on what their argument was and act like we coulda snagged someone better than Romo, or McGee for that matter, (or better than Dak) as if we were buying ankle socks from the bin at H&M
2570739, Oh, and I forgot about Jameil Showers and another undrafted rookie in recent years
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Tue Oct-18-16 12:29 AM
....I'm too lazy to Google it right now
2570751, most of y'all had Romo tunnelvision...
Posted by LegacyNS, Tue Oct-18-16 06:43 AM
As if drafting another QB would be a waste of time since it was impossible to find another QB that could come in here and wins games.

Safe to say you were wrong... just admit it..

<---- 5....

2570939, We got lucky on a great draft pick this year...
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Tue Oct-18-16 03:28 PM
...the nonsense you were spewing was years ago before every play resulted in a Romo injury... I still support him and I'm grateful for the keeping our shitty squad competitive. I'm not an a whiny, little snot that plays armchair gm with no idea how any of it works.

I'm happy we have two incredible quarterbacks and one for the future.
2570738, I think it's clearly time for the Packers to move on from Rodgers...
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Mon Oct-17-16 11:59 PM
...they could learn a lesson from Dallas. I mean, look at Dak, for instance. He's already in his 4th Super Bowl and it only took us 9 years for him to just call into our laps after the great misfortune of having to ensure several years of watching one of this generations great QBS struggle with injuries, terrible defenses and bad coaching.

Clearly, everything wrong with Green Bay today is also Rodgers' fault. Time to move on and then make a stupid "told you so" post 6 years later when his replacement falls into their laps by some fluke that these armchair liars will end up taking credit for.
2570741, So we're comparing Romo to Rodgers?
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Oct-18-16 12:48 AM
I feel like you're not shooting low enough-- this post can sink lower yet. Why not compare him to Brady or Montana?
2570744, I thought my comment be was clearly sarcastic..
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Tue Oct-18-16 01:28 AM
..but I realized that's is only clear if you followed the mind numbing debates between Legacy and virtually every other Cowboys fan several years ago about it being time to dump Tony. He referenced the greatness of Rodgers (who I like and admire) at the time as a counterpoint to anyone who dared say Romo is a great quarterback

Now, after we luck our way into Dak after he miraculously falls four rounds, Leg makes a dumb ass "I told you so" post that seems to want credit for something that simply happened by circumstance.
2570765, you were wrong is much more concise.
Posted by LegacyNS, Tue Oct-18-16 09:10 AM

<---- 5....

2570936, I prefer you (Legacy) are a revisionist idiot without any point to make
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Tue Oct-18-16 03:20 PM
2577727, http://bensalloutblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Dak-537x350.jpg
Posted by LegacyNS, Sun Nov-20-16 04:00 PM
http://bensalloutblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Dak-537x350.jpg
<---- 5....

2577742, If you watched Tony's press statement, you'd realize that he's a better human than 99% of his critics
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Sun Nov-20-16 04:56 PM
2577761, he'll have plenty of opportunity to prove it next year...
Posted by LegacyNS, Sun Nov-20-16 06:08 PM
in Cleveland..
<---- 5....

2577762, you know fuckin well he ain't playing in no damn Cleveland
Posted by Dstl1, Sun Nov-20-16 06:18 PM
2577769, my bad
Posted by LegacyNS, Sun Nov-20-16 06:29 PM
49ers and Bears need a QB..