Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectH2H foolery got me
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2558409&mesg_id=2779383
2779383, H2H foolery got me
Posted by jimaveli, Thu Dec-29-22 03:39 PM
Several years ago, I convinced some buddies to do fantasy leagues like weekly 50/50 contests. Ie: with a 12-team league, the top 6 scorers would get the win every week. We did it for a couple of years and it was pretty excellent. The luck was in the middle of the league and some of those Monday nights were crazy..with a few teams battling for a win.

We did the playoffs similarly l. Ie: the semifinals was 4 teams. Top 2 teams advanced. Then the final was 2 weeks. Aka if you won that shit, it’s because you fucking won. The people who disliked it the most were the type who barely pay attention and they just want to accidentally win every now and then to ‘stick it to’ the people who try. You know those types.

Before that, we had a dude lose his last regular season matchup on purpose to try to ‘rig the playoff seeds’ in his favor. Ho shit to the max. People were pissed of course. He made it to the finals and lost…barely. It took a 99 yard Victor Cruz TD to make him lose.

This play: https://youtu.be/27WK0LC-gXs

Good news..the pot was winner takes all that year so he left with nothing. That was a nice ending for such bitchass activity. Still tho! Since then, I have pretty much never want to play in a ‘pure H2H’ league ever again.

But of course, suggesting something different on earth is a tough thing. And meathead bros are gonna meathead bro. So I’ve pretty much never been able to get another group of people around me to agree to a 50/50 setup again.

And really, that was one of the main things that led to my retirement from season-long fantasy unless it’s a work/cheap league.

After a year or two away, I jumped into an thrown together cheap work league at the last minute. I talked them into having each week be 2 matchups: 1 h2h and 1 50/50 vs the league. That’s still not great but it’s livable.. And of course, you know there were several times where people scored top 3 in the league but lost their h2h matchup based on the randomized h2h lottery. Every time it would happen TO ANYONE, I’d say ‘hey folks, please note that H2H is silly’.

Where I went wrong: I failed to get them to do the playoffs ‘right’. So of course, I make it to the semis and lose 140-130 (Justin Fields/David Montgomery went batshit in week 15 and I got stuck with Hopkins after Colt got hurt and the Texans played over their own head..that didn’t help either!) while the other side of the bracket advanced by scoring like 105. And OF COURSE, I outscored the people in the finals bracket the next week by 30. But cuz H2H is silly, that got me 3rd instead of the championship.

Tldr: H2H is silly. Stop doing it. Go allplay or 50/50. The people who benefit most from H2H are usually the lower end people in your league who aren’t going to try at fantasy no matter what is happening.

>I have a long shot to make the playoffs in one league as the
>4th seed.
>
>Only 4 teams makes the playoffs, the first 3 are locked in at
>12-3, 10-5 and 10-5. There are 3 teams at 8-7 and 3 at 7-8
>including me.
>
>So I basically need to win and have all the 8-7 teams lose.
>Right now that is projected to happen. Only problem, I have 41
>"points for" less than my brother who would end up at 8-8 if
>he beats an 8-7 team. So I also need to outscore him which is
>not likely. Obviously projections are not worth much and a
>couple of these match ups are 50/50 so I probably wont get in.
>I need a Christmas miracle lol
>
>Would be funny if there is a 5 or 6 way tie for 4th place
>though.
>
>