Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectFake hustle Harper afraid of wall, lets 2 run double drop & loses game
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2532654&mesg_id=2537109
2537109, Fake hustle Harper afraid of wall, lets 2 run double drop & loses game
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Sun May-08-16 05:50 PM
Trout doesn't punk out going for that ball. I'm just saying.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/wrigley-field-got-the-best-of-bryce-harper-on-critical-misplay-000722448.html

Wrigley Field got the best of Bryce Harper on critical misplay

By Mark Townsend
18 hours ago
Big League Stew

Washington Nationals star Bryce Harper had a moment he'll want to quickly forget on Saturday, and it happened at the most critical point in Washington's 8-5 loss to the Chicago Cubs.

Harper, who was lined up in his customary spot in right field, found himself battling Wrigley Field's cramped quarters and even the forces of nature as he chased down, but ultimately dropped Addison Russell's slicing fly ball.

“I'm not going to run into the wall, plain and simple,” Harper said. “Got as close as I could and put my glove out and (the ball) nicked off it. Things happen. I'm not going to do it again - run into a wall - and I'm not playing for another year and not feeling healthy. I'd rather be in the lineup every day. That's just not going to happen.”

Those comments will definitely have people questioning Harper's effort. Then again, people were also critical of Harper when he was going full speed on those types of plays and constantly dealing with nagging injuries. He can't win either way, but game situation sometimes dictates that as well.

As noted, there was a lot riding on this play. Chicago had the bases loaded with two outs in the seventh inning of a then tied game. If Harper catches it, Washington escapes. There's also the question of had Harper not touched the baseball at all, would it have landed fair or foul? It would have been close, but we'll never know for sure.

Replay did confirm the baseball hit the chalk after deflecting off Harper's glove. The official scorer credited Russell with a two-run double, and the Cubs went on to win again, improving to an MLB best 23-6.

As for Harper. Well, he can count on thousands of tweets just like this one.

"Make baseball fun again unless I have to go close to a wall" -Bryce Harper

— Big Cat (@BarstoolBigCat) May 7, 2016