Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectGreat post. I hear you on most of it.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2529186&mesg_id=2530816
2530816, Great post. I hear you on most of it.
Posted by wallysmith, Fri Apr-08-16 04:37 PM
While I understand your overall sentiment, I can see why cats would want to call you out on the hypothetical of Shane McMahon dying (which is a lil extra, let's be honest).

But you're absolutely right. Shane can take risks like that because he's not with the company as an independent contractor. He's not footing his transportation, covering his medical, bunking with roommates. Shane doesn't have to grind to have a career. John Cena is wrestling's 1%, but Shane is wrestling's 0.01% (doesn't seem like it, but just like in the real world it's a *significant* difference).

However, while it's fine to view Shane and that spot as a microcosm of this past year, I think it's also fair to say that the future is brighter than it has been in years past. Sure, there's still tons of shittiness that you can point out way better than I can (as a fan that tends to go with the ebbs and flows), but the emergence of NXT as a real force in the company can't be denied. It's notable that Raw was dominated by NXT talent and maybe even more significant is the fact that NXT's lead writer was promoted to Smackdown. I feel genuinely privileged I was able to attend last year's NXT Mania show that Vince attended then seeing it come full circle with Takeover this year.

Sure, we've had these periods before when it feels like WWE does everything right then just as quickly they fuck it all up again. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, there was never another force pushing the main roster like NXT is now. The tenor of your post is absolutely on point but the timing feels a bit off. The booking for Shane vs The Undertaker was dogshit if they were gonna "give" Shane Raw anyways, but regardless of how we got here, at least we're finally *here*. There's a lot of promise right now, and I think I'm actually going to watch my first Smackdown in years tonight.