Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThoughts from my weekend in Dallas
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2529186&mesg_id=2529835
2529835, Thoughts from my weekend in Dallas
Posted by Y2Flound, Tue Apr-05-16 11:11 AM
Everyone has lots of thoughts, but I want to unpack what being there for the weekend made me feel:

Friday night NXT was the best wrestling show I've ever been to. I think one of the biggest takeaways WWE should have is that small arenas are better than giant ones (except for the money which is the ultimate factor). Enough has been said about how good the card is so no real need to get into it. I think the biggest issue was that there was no popcorn match, the crowd was too hot all night that by the main event we were just tired. It probably got the least buzz from the crowd just because we had been on fire for 2 hours. It really made me appreciate those matches that just get thrown in.

As for Mania, I have a ton of thoughts and don't want to write a 10 page post, but they boil down to these few things:

- 6 Hours is way too fucking long, you don't need a 1 hour pre show and 5 hour PPV. It could have been NXT, and 6 hours would have been too long. I don't want to do anything for 6 hours, all you cause there is people to lose interest by the end. Add this to the fact that Cowboys Stadium is 70-90 minutes in traffic from the city and it's just a long fucking day. At NXT we chanted Fight Forever, at Mania I was afraid they might.

- The biggest complaint all year about WWE is that nothing matters, everything's 50/50 and nothing has any value. Well this was the culmination of a year of that attitude, I mean look some of the results:

- Zack Ryder won the IC belt for no reason other than they wanted to transition it to a heel without having KO lose to them and Ryder let them get a fun Mania moment before losing it a day later

- New Day lost for no other reason than LON never really gets to win. Then they beat them the next night just to make sure we know they are better

- AJ Styles? Sorry, no indy darling is allowed to win at his Mania debut, who cares if it makes no sense for you to lose. Here is the #1 contender spot just to confuse everyone more.

- Charlotte retained (which I'm fine with) mostly because they didn't bother to build Sasha up to the level that the fans did so they had to delay her moment despite her being the one on every fucking banner throughout Dallas

- Hey guys look at this young guy we want to push, he's going to win the battle royal, but only after we sneak him in without an entrance and just hope everyone knows who he is. Don't care? It doesn't matter! But SHAQ IS HERE WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED?

- Shane lost, and not only did he lose but Vince literally came out the next day and said "No more lockbox, you'll never hear about this again" Oh, and you can run the show tonight anyway. They literally presented this feud as Shane is here to save wrestling from being bad....LOL no he isn't, wrestling will stay bad! Also by the way, this match sucked ass, big spot or not, the match was boring as piss until that moment and the buildup to it was so obvious that it just felt like this desperate please cheer for this moment

Nothing mattered all year, or in the buildup, so of course none of the results really matter

- Roman won, we knew he was gonna, I'm not mad because it had to happen

This will eventually become the most forgettable wrestlemania of all time, not the worst, just the one where nothing at all mattered. You could have skipped this WM entirely and nothing in the world of WWE would have been any different other than the new (deserved) women's belt.

The giant difference in how every match in NXT meant everything vs how nothing that happened at Mania will have any effect on the next month, let alone the future, it's just like...what was the point of any of this?