Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectKyrie's lack of passing shows again he's not ready to lead a team (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2526305
2526305, Kyrie's lack of passing shows again he's not ready to lead a team (swipe)
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Mon Mar-21-16 12:00 PM
Dion fault (c) Basa

oh wait...

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2016/03/kyrie_irving_shows_again_that_hes_not_ready.html

Kyrie Irving shows again that he's not ready to lead a team

By Chris Haynes, Cleveland.com

on March 17, 2016 at 11:42 AM, updated March 17, 2016 at 12:25 PM

ORLANDO – Cavaliers coach Tyronn Lue said he wanted Kyrie Irving to be aggressive with LeBron James taking Wednesday's game off against the Dallas Mavericks.

However, somewhere there was a disconnect, because Irving must have heard, "Shoot, shoot, shoot."

A game-high 33 points on 12-of-28 shooting along with a late game-saving steal allowed the Cavs to squeak by the Mavericks in a 99-98 victory at The Q. But it was his unwillingness to get others involved that left onlookers and his teammates scratching their heads.

After the game, a few players were puzzled to how their point guard managed to register just one measly assist while playing 39 minutes. They were frustrated, but the win and Irving's huge defensive play lessened the anger.

The notion within the locker room is that the situation is tolerable, because it isn't permanent. If the Cavaliers were dealt the misfortune of playing without James for an extended period of time, this locker room would be boiling over.

Players are growing tired of Irving's inability to not only register a proper amount of assists at the lead guard position, but also to just move the ball.

Did Irving pass more than once? Of course, but only when he was forced to do so. At one point in the second quarter, he dribbled relentlessly for 24 seconds and went nowhere. Dallas' Chandler Parsons stayed in front of him and let him do all that fancy dribbling in one spot. Irving ended up settling for a tough mid-range jumper that clanked off the rim.

His teammates were in disbelief.

Lue didn't want to rain on Irving's parade during his postgame address. He reiterated that the plan was for Irving to stay in attack mode, but the way his point guard played attacked the morale of his team.

Instead of worrying about how to come together to defeat the Mavericks, players were internally wrestling with knowing they weren't going to touch the ball much, if at all. That's not winning basketball.

Right now, Irving isn't ready to lead his own team. He has a grand total of four assists in his last two games.

James brings peace and tranquility to an offense. He's able to pick his spots and understands that being aggressive doesn't mean looking for your shot on every possession. James' presence masks a lot of this team's inefficiencies.

For his teammates' sake, they are hoping he continues to do so.
2526306, LOL...who wrote this? Maverick? I don't even care if it's true...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Mar-21-16 12:05 PM
but some of the sensational wording and Bron-centricness made me legit lol...especially the part about Bron bringing "tranquility".
2526309, It definitely reads like an OKS agenda post, lol
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Mar-21-16 12:13 PM
2526310, Bron's earned the benefit of the doubt, plus
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Mar-21-16 12:14 PM
>but some of the sensational wording and Bron-centricness made
>me legit lol...especially the part about Bron bringing
>"tranquility".

Bron is the first one off the bench always propping
up Kyrie
2526319, Haynes is definitely a LeBrony, the degree to which I am unsure
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Mar-21-16 12:36 PM
>but some of the sensational wording and Bron-centricness made
>me legit lol...especially the part about Bron bringing
>"tranquility".

but that "tranquility" line made me think the word "Kang" was gonna follow not too far after

this team has been like a weird mix of the Rockets and OKC this season. "tranquility" is not the word I'd use
2526351, update: He's a cut-rate Isola:
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Mar-21-16 02:30 PM
link: https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2016/03/will_lebron_james_relationship.html

lol @ "James continuing to hang out with the opposition's best player -- a player who happens to be one of his best friends, a player he won two titles with -- isn't conducive to building locker-room camaraderie."

-- also, found in that bullshit... Cavs haven't won in Miami since 2010. goddammit, I hate that fuckin team
2526406, lolz, so which one of you guys is "C2Poke"?
Posted by dula dibiasi, Mon Mar-21-16 06:49 PM
>link:
>https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2016/03/will_lebron_james_relationship.html#comments

C2Poke 3 hours ago

Lebron's relationship with Wade wouldn't matter much if it wasn't for Kyrie's idiocy. The way he plays the game is not conducive to winning. And he is resistant to encouragement by coaches and teammates to change his approach to the game. The Cavs need Kyrie to be a "willing" facilitator, but he continues to be a reluctant one. There are 29 PGs, 5 SGs, 2 PFs & 2 SFs averaging more assists per game than the Cavs' STARTING PG (Kyrie). In Assist/TO ratio, Kyrie ranks 101st overall in the NBA. When a PG as talented as Kyrie isn't top-30 in assists in a 30-team league, it's because he has no interest in facilitating an offense. Lebron isn't going to stay in Cleveland to play PG so that Kyrie can lead the team in shots while playing bad defense. That's not a winning formula.

Kyrie is going to have shape up, get shipped out, or Lebron is likely leaving.
2526308, Oh, well, if Cleveland.com said so...
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Mar-21-16 12:12 PM
2526311, This is what you call a sice.
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Mar-21-16 12:20 PM
>A game-high 33 points on 12-of-28 shooting along with a late
>game-saving steal allowed the Cavs to squeak by the Mavericks
>in a 99-98 victory at The Q. But it was his unwillingness to
>get others involved that left onlookers and his teammates
>scratching their heads.

and this is why, in a game with LeBron James not playing and the coach taking Channing Frye out of lineups in a game where he is demolishing the other team from 3, Kyrie not having a high assist total doesn't matter.

also, the Cavs won that game. they usually lose those type of games, if LeBron isn't playing. that last 3 that brought the score to a 1 point game was a futile one, because Kyrie put the game out of reach.

That's the kind of game that, under normal, non-sicing situations should be a building block. you can win against a team with great players without your star player.

But people are content to turn Kyrie into the next Kobe.
2526313, are you counting the 16 passes to the rim?
Posted by Cenario, Mon Mar-21-16 12:27 PM
2526315, if it counts for Kobe, it counts for Kyrie
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Mar-21-16 12:28 PM
2526320, fair
Posted by Cenario, Mon Mar-21-16 12:38 PM
2526314, cool
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Mar-21-16 12:27 PM
2526317, This is from last week.
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Mar-21-16 12:29 PM
Why is this being posted today? I'm not a fan or defender of Kyrie, but the timing for this seems off. Posting about the Heat demolishing the Cavs seems to make more sense to me, but that's just my opinion.
2526322, Why do you think?
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Mar-21-16 12:39 PM
>Why is this being posted today? I'm not a fan or defender of
>Kyrie, but the timing for this seems off.

#AGENDAWARZ
2526321, Read: "Kyrie scores 33, shoots 46%, plays defense, Cavs win."
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Mar-21-16 12:38 PM
Hilarious how the article gets even the little things wrong-- he went 13-for-28, for instance. Weird how he accidentally removed a FG made instead of accidentally adding one!
2526331, shit's disgusting.
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Mar-21-16 12:54 PM
I'd hate to have seen if that FG% was lower, and the Cavs lost, esp. w/o LeBron.
2526337, So LeBron is a tranquil, stabilizing influence on this squad? Okayyyy
Posted by theeraser, Mon Mar-21-16 01:24 PM
2526359, so Bron is a cancer now?
Posted by SeV, Mon Mar-21-16 02:44 PM
Things turn into complete shyt most of the time when he misses games. Yal going to act like he doesn't provide stability?

I mean they're a top seed with championship expectations with one of the most prolific players in history on the squad.

So maybe the atmosphere ain't yoga studio 'tranquil' but I think most yal playing dense to keep from addressing the facts layed out in the article.

Dallas Cavericks LETS GO!!
2526340, 1 assist is trash regardless of who wrote the article
Posted by SeV, Mon Mar-21-16 01:56 PM
Yal wanna talk about everything else but that

I mean i get it

But facts is facts

Them And1 mixtape highlights is cute but nygga can't run an n offense

2526348, pretty much...he's not a PG
Posted by guru0509, Mon Mar-21-16 02:13 PM
2526350, back just in-time for more Kang playoff historics
Posted by Vex_id, Mon Mar-21-16 02:29 PM
it's good to be here (c) digable planets

-->
2526358, basically
Posted by spawn2k, Mon Mar-21-16 02:44 PM
2526381, as long as Kemba trash, too. 1 dime, SAME NIGHT
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Mar-21-16 04:33 PM
No one says a word. kyrie averages more dimes than him for their career, but Kemba is surely a PG. no doubt about it...because he can't score 50...,he can't hang 40 on Russ or Rondo or wall...REPEATEDLY! REAL point guards.

A goomba will always get credit for being a real PG, because niggas act like they're miraculous to even be in the L. If Kemba or IT scores 30....OMG!!! Double double...LOOK WHAT DA LAWD DONE MADE!!!

2526383, Wall average 10 assist
Posted by SeV, Mon Mar-21-16 04:43 PM
Kyrie 4.5

But stay focused

2526393, Take your goalpost, put two giant dicks on each prong
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Mar-21-16 05:14 PM
And eat them shits like a kabob, dogg.

2526403, nygga u the one out here dry snitching on nyggas not even mentioned
Posted by SeV, Mon Mar-21-16 06:16 PM
10 fuks outta here yo

Ol yea me and my nygga robbed that bank but so and so robbed the one on 25th so y u ain't questioning them ass nygga

2526405, It's not crime, it's basketball, you dick kabob-eating fucknut
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Mar-21-16 06:40 PM
I simply mentioned that there was another PG with one dime in a win that no one would ever think twice about shitting on. And Kamba does that shit OFTEN.
2526411, Holla at me when u want to address KYRIE
Posted by SeV, Mon Mar-21-16 07:14 PM
Gotdamb

2526412, Dogg, you clearly have a frame of reference in mind
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Mar-21-16 07:18 PM
if one assist is BAD for kyrie, i would assume it's BAD for ANY PG who does it. If it's not BAD for ANY point guard, you need to shut your pressed ass up.

the issue ain't kyrie, the issue is a point guard having only 1 dime in a game.

2526435, my reference point is 39 minutes and 1 assist
Posted by SeV, Mon Mar-21-16 10:58 PM
Yes that's bad for any PG

It's a theme for Kyrie

An anomaly for others

2526439, and mine is Kemba's 38 minutes and 1 dime. oh well
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Mar-21-16 11:11 PM
it's BEEN a theme for Kemba and no one says shit, because he ain't shit. he's a walking sidebar.

niggas been mad kyrie good from DAY 1. y'all been on a chase from like december 2011. y'all thought he'd be mediocre and he's not. now, AGAIN, y'all tryna eat while he plays his way back into shape and rhythm after missing a whole summer of workouts.

for the record, i don't expect the bitchmade goalpost moving to stop AFTER he gets his ring. i expect it to increase.

2526443, if you gotta prop him up next to kemba to make him look good
Posted by SeV, Mon Mar-21-16 11:29 PM
That says everything.

I mean have expectations lowered that much?

Damb

Nygga really in here throwing a kemba walker smoke grenade for his escape attempt.

2526456, I'll compare his first five seasons to ANYONE to prop him up
Posted by Basaglia, Tue Mar-22-16 05:45 AM
That's what pisses y'all off. His first five seasons....the nigga has achieved a shit ton at 23. All he needs is a ring. Y'all ain't expect this shit and the goalposts been moving since you realized he'd be something to deal with.

2526467, all good but can he run an offense or not?
Posted by SeV, Tue Mar-22-16 08:25 AM
Facts say no

Can he pound the air out the ball for 19 seconds

Yes

Facilitate an offense?

No

That's all this post is about.

Not wither a #1 pick is better than Kemba

2526476, is he GOOD...that's all i've ever cared about. the rest is posturing.
Posted by Basaglia, Tue Mar-22-16 08:36 AM
2526483, ^^^^ owner of 1st hoverboard goalpost
Posted by SeV, Tue Mar-22-16 08:45 AM

Nobody is questioning if he's good

He's a #1 pick in the NBA and got 'patches'

Can he facilitate an offense or not Basa?

Your unwillingness to answer says a lot.

2526492, and your willingness to make it about one aspect of his game says a lot
Posted by Basaglia, Tue Mar-22-16 09:10 AM
OF COURSE he can distribute and run an offense. he wouldn't even be getting time if he couldn't. can he do it as well as some others, like paul or wall or russ or rubio or whoever? no, he cannot. numbers show that. can he do it AS WELL as guys like kemba or teague or dragic. STATS show YES. does he have an offensive skillset that makes him a better SCORER than everyone i just listed. yes.

so, if you really wanna have a legit discussion...i'm with that. but don't get to be butthurt when i pick apart other people's games to unmask your agenda. i'm just putting things in perspective, because in vacuum, his 4.5 apg this season could be perceived as a LOT without comparative information.

there's nothing wrong with simply admitting you have an agenda against a player and you want them to fail. you don't need contrived flaws in their games to do that.

i do just fine by being a purebred hater and saying "player A not better than player B"...that's ALL you need
2526512, I don't do agendas
Posted by SeV, Tue Mar-22-16 10:21 AM
I was hype when Bron went back to cavs

I was like damn my nygga finally going to have a real pg to run the offense and set my nygga up and be able to facilitate when Bron ain't playing

But he can't

That's my only issue

Hell I would've settled if he could just play off Bron on some wade shyt but he can't even do that

His only skillset is using his and1 handles to go 1 on 1,2 or 3

He'll catch fire every now and then and look like a top 5 player in the league

But that's it

If he can facilitate an offense he sure hasn't shown he can do it anywhere near a consistent basis

Especially for a pg of his caliber

This issue ain't contrived at all

But congrats on being happy he's better than Kemba and Rubio lol

Not bad for a #1 pick I guess

2526515, well, let's drop it there, because you don't know anything about kyrie
Posted by Basaglia, Tue Mar-22-16 10:35 AM
>I was hype when Bron went back to cavs
>
>I was like damn my nygga finally going to have a real pg to
>run the offense

bron runs the offense better. simple as that. and now lue got kyrie playing with delly so he can run and kyrie can score. because lue knows what kyrie is and how to use him. in the long run, this will work out. kyrie is a combo guard. always has been.

if you care about the cavs, you need to be worried about bron still taking all the last shots, because that's why they lost last year.
2526522, lol lue had no choice
Posted by SeV, Tue Mar-22-16 10:45 AM
Kyrie can't do shyt else

And Bron taking the last shot ain't got nothing to do with y they lost

But im sure u just threw that out cause u kinda in ya feelings right now

I mean even if it were true

at least he was available to take it

2526523, it is true...yes, it's unfortunate kyrie got hurt
Posted by Basaglia, Tue Mar-22-16 10:52 AM
i'm fine with anyone not liking ky, but petty griping about low assist totals from the team's PG should apply to EVERYONE. y'all made it like it was some exclusive shortcoming. nah, PLENTY of NBA starting PG's have relatively low assists totals.
2526531, how many with PATCHES tho?
Posted by SeV, Tue Mar-22-16 11:41 AM
D.Rose?

All I can think of

But props to being in the company of Jose Calderón and Felton

2526533, cool wit me....*shrug*
Posted by Basaglia, Tue Mar-22-16 11:44 AM
2526541, word.
Posted by SeV, Tue Mar-22-16 11:53 AM
Same

2526539, dick kabob-eating fucknut. imma find a way to use that
Posted by thejerseytornado, Tue Mar-22-16 11:51 AM
prolly get me fired, but worth it.
-----------
you think we playing chess, but i'm playing mad-making. Basaglia
2526384, RE: as long as Kemba trash, too. 1 dime, SAME NIGHT
Posted by murph71, Mon Mar-21-16 04:47 PM
I think it's because Ky is viewed as a special player....Some folks even viewed him as a franchise player...

Kemba is a player who has managed to surprise a lot of doubters....He's better than his doubters thought he would be....But he has never been viewed on the level of Ky...

Nobody is paying attention to Kemba's team...All eyes on Bron/Cavs....So the spotlight will be hotter on Ky....No use crying about it because there's going to be even more scrutiny for Ky as the season progresses....
2526342, if lebron ain't subtweet after its a non-issue.
Posted by Cenario, Mon Mar-21-16 02:03 PM
2526375, LOL
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Mon Mar-21-16 03:59 PM

2526353, Kyrie making my "little rappity raps" timeless
Posted by DJR, Mon Mar-21-16 02:35 PM
Still relevant today, sadly.
2526376, DJRs a prophet and I think you ought to listen to What he can say to you...
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Mon Mar-21-16 04:02 PM
2529013, It was written
Posted by DJR, Sat Apr-02-16 05:37 PM
2526421, Dion making the Thunder useless, drop some bars about that
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Mar-21-16 08:50 PM
2526389, I'm still waiting on that Long-term L...
Posted by PIMPINCHICAGO, Mon Mar-21-16 05:07 PM
lol...

Isaiah Thomas >>>>>>>>>>

2526407, Why? Hasn't this Bulls squad already provided you w/a lifetime of L's
Posted by vee-lover, Mon Mar-21-16 06:51 PM
>lol...
>
>
>Isaiah Thomas >>>>>>>>>>
>
>
>
>
2526416, Oh...you are back???
Posted by PIMPINCHICAGO, Mon Mar-21-16 08:14 PM
I thought you had left....

...again...

Lol

You shouldn't even begin to talk about L's

2526410, he 23 and not fucked up...unlike some people
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Mar-21-16 07:03 PM
keep waiting
2526417, you been holding that for at least 2 calendar years, POOPINCHICAGO
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Mar-21-16 08:32 PM
the Bulls are going straight down the toilet as I type. you really wanna play this game?
2526448, lmao
Posted by LA2Philly, Tue Mar-22-16 12:25 AM
killin me Doc....some might even say they are a crock of shit now.
2526514, RE: you been holding that for at least 2 calendar years, POOPINCHICAGO
Posted by murph71, Tue Mar-22-16 10:23 AM
>the Bulls are going straight down the toilet as I type. you
>really wanna play this game?

Yo...U my people Doc...But all this praise dancing going on because the Bulls have been hit CRAZY by the injury bug? I'm giving y'all the finger....

We gon' be alright....U already know I'm old school with this shit...Fuck the Cavs....Central Division...All that....But yeah...Even my struggling ass Bulls are still in the playoffs as of posting this...

Fuck the Cavs....Fuck Bron....Fuck Kyrie...Fuck the Cavs' towel boy....Fuck all y'all...lol

2526527, POOPINCHICAGO <--- lmao
Posted by Kungset, Tue Mar-22-16 11:05 AM
2529181, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey6cpTY10UU
Posted by Vex_id, Sun Apr-03-16 05:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey6cpTY10UU

-->
2526475, wonder how many career double doubles we're up to now... 19?... 20?
Posted by Amritsar, Tue Mar-22-16 08:34 AM
2529009, And Bron is talking about it..
Posted by melmag, Sat Apr-02-16 05:18 PM

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/716096957832413184
2529105, No.
Posted by Dr Claw, Sun Apr-03-16 07:57 AM
LeBron was telling him something along the lines of

"Fuck the other 50 minutes of this game, right now, you need to focus, catch this ball, and get fouled, because you're our best free throw shooter. Make them buckets and win this game."

He more or less confirmed that in the post-game interviews.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/lloyd/cavs-110-hawks-108-ot-jason-lloyd-s-20-thoughts-on-lebron-james-irving-s-free-throw-streak-1.673322

Read #10 on the game points list

(For the record, that WOULD be the game that Kyrie got chewed out for something like that; he had an awful shooting night, and a couple of ISO-fests that shouldn't have been in the 2nd half. Then again, that's on Lue for not switching him out for JR at least 5-10 minutes into the half)
2529118, Bron knows that the Cavs need Kyrie to win a 'chip
Posted by Vex_id, Sun Apr-03-16 10:29 AM
He can't do it on his own (he tried last year and almost did it - but it's impossible)
- and Kyrie has been in a serious shooting slump, so Bron was trying to rouse up his confidence (as Doc pointed out) - and if you note, Bron went right to Kyrie in that situation v. the Hawks down the stretch when it came time to put somebody on the line to seal the game. Kyrie hit a huge 3 and made key free throws down the stretch - that's what CLE must have from him moving forward if they have a chance against the SA/GSW titans.

I admit I was hoping for Kyrie to be more effective than he currently is - but I have no doubt he'll be there and ready to play in the playoffs, and I still think he's not yet 100% right after that knee injury (a knee which he shouldn't have been playing on) from the Finals.

-->
2529148, he need to up his game off the court too....
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Sun Apr-03-16 03:04 PM
he getting G'd for his girl.....then trying to slut-shame her on the internets making her try to off herself...

not a good look.
2529177, Kyrie did none of this stuff. Pressed-ass Drake-adjacent fans did.
Posted by Dr Claw, Sun Apr-03-16 05:18 PM
>he getting G'd for his girl.....then trying to slut-shame her
>on the internets making her try to off herself...
>
>not a good look.

2529162, I finally read this. What in the absolute fuck lol.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun Apr-03-16 04:22 PM
2529179, Kyrie is officially Kobe now.
Posted by Dr Claw, Sun Apr-03-16 05:20 PM
2529182, please stop trying to make Kyrie = Kobe happen
Posted by SeV, Sun Apr-03-16 05:39 PM

2529304, go arch your eyebrows, pressed ass nigga
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Apr-04-16 09:13 AM
2529311, pressed is when u called kyrie 'kobe 2.0'
Posted by SeV, Mon Apr-04-16 09:29 AM
For real u look ridiculous

It's not going to happen

Please stop.

2529316, you look like a freshly pressed parking lot with caterpillar eyebrows
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Apr-04-16 09:41 AM
making you the preeminent authority on "ridiculous", Toine.
2529317, what's going on here? ain't yall all in the same gang?
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Apr-04-16 09:53 AM
2529319, #AgendaWarz BACK!
Posted by Vex_id, Mon Apr-04-16 09:56 AM

-->
2529374, Doc and Sev been going back and forth for some time now
Posted by Amritsar, Mon Apr-04-16 11:50 AM
It's one of the more head scratching beefs on the boards
2529340, Pretty weird series of replies but yea..
Posted by SeV, Mon Apr-04-16 10:27 AM
It's not going to happen

Don't know y u taking this so personally

Unhinged doc back?

2548869, another one
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Jun-20-16 01:01 AM
2548894, Oh yeah, and about that 'Kobe' shit:
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Jun-20-16 05:38 AM
https://twitter.com/BenGolliver/status/744746733893099520

Ben Golliver Verified account
‏@BenGolliver

"All I was thinking in the back of mind was Mamba Mentality." Kyrie Irving, Kobe Disciple, on Game 7 approach

"Kyrie Irving, Kobe Disciple"