Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI have never sports hated a team so much in my life
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2483889&mesg_id=2483902
2483902, I have never sports hated a team so much in my life
Posted by MothershipConnection, Wed Oct-14-15 01:49 PM
Cause I came from the complete opposite side - I was at UCLA from 2003-2008, right at the peak of the Carroll era, right at as UCLA football would be in a decade long lull, right as I was 18-22 and probably the most angry and irrational that I could be. I haven't seen the 30 for 30 yet, but I'll probably catch some if it's on, and hopefully my blood doesn't start boiling, though I don't think it will these days.

Not sure what it says about me that two of my clearest sports memories are of USC losing - the Vince Young Rose Bowl and the 13-9 game where UCLA finally beat USC while I was there. I actually had a ton of respect for those defenses (and Kenechi Udeze was actually a family friend of my dad's, we were invited to his draft party, so couldn't hate there, plus I always half root for my LB Poly guys at SC), but thinking about Leinert/Bush/Lendale would just send me into a flying rage back then.

I remember that 13-9 UCLA win over USC was probably the angriest I've been at a sports event, it was fun at the time and I'll always remember it but I never want to be like that again. It was a pretty early game (12:30 start I think), and we spent basically spent all morning getting liquored up and having friend trash talk with USC fans (I remember some SC guy being like "Look at these rocket scientists" and my group, being mostly math/engineering majors were like "Well actually..."), but some switch of rage just happened when we walked into the stadium. I remember some USC fans managed to buy seats directly in front of us while we basically spent the whole game yelling angry things (not at them, but about Carroll/the SC team), and it was like a catharsis when we finally won, even if UCLA would continue to suck for the next 5 years. When the game was over the SC guys just turned around and shook our hands and congratulated us, and I'm thankful they did, cause I don't wanna rage like that again cause it's just sports, ya know.

Anyway those USC teams were objectively great, and you can take the trophy away but that Reggie Bush Heisman season was one of the craziest things I've ever seen.