Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subject30 for 30: Trojan War
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2483889
2483889, 30 for 30: Trojan War
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Oct-14-15 01:21 PM
Extremely interesting timing to see this the day after USC's coach was fired.

It really does represent a time in L.A. where we didn't even care about not having a NFL team, because USC was more fun to watch than half the NFL. Those players were legit superstars...and I heard way too many stories about the players. From Mike Williams having a girlfriend who would pull girls just for them to threesome with, to Matt's epic beach parties...it's surprising that they had such a wild streak with limited distractions on the field.

That Texas game burns, but it's hard to even be mad at them. I still remember my dad predicting that last play..."Vince ain't about to throw it, he's gonna scope the field and run it to the side like he always does...he wants to be the star who killed USC!" and that's exactly what he did. I was literally about to head to USC's campus before Lendale didn't get that first down...it was about to be epic up there.

As for them having to completely wash out Reggie's history....eh. Lendale said it best on here..."at 19-20 years old, you have to make the smartest decisions you've ever made in your life." It's scary to think, but that's really what it is!
2483891, Next week was supposed to be on the Kings/Kevin Johnson
Posted by Ceej, Wed Oct-14-15 01:26 PM
but ESPN scrapped it due to his child touching issues coming up again.

2483893, Waaaaaaaaaaaaaait.......WHUT??!???????
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Oct-14-15 01:31 PM
I neeeeeeeeeever heard anything about that...the fuck??? *hits Google*
2484053, Its a whole series about all his scandals on Deadspin
Posted by B.J.S.301, Wed Oct-14-15 09:50 PM
2483894, for those who don't know (c)Havoc
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Oct-14-15 01:32 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/ct--kevin-johnson-movie-20151014-story.html
2483902, I have never sports hated a team so much in my life
Posted by MothershipConnection, Wed Oct-14-15 01:49 PM
Cause I came from the complete opposite side - I was at UCLA from 2003-2008, right at the peak of the Carroll era, right at as UCLA football would be in a decade long lull, right as I was 18-22 and probably the most angry and irrational that I could be. I haven't seen the 30 for 30 yet, but I'll probably catch some if it's on, and hopefully my blood doesn't start boiling, though I don't think it will these days.

Not sure what it says about me that two of my clearest sports memories are of USC losing - the Vince Young Rose Bowl and the 13-9 game where UCLA finally beat USC while I was there. I actually had a ton of respect for those defenses (and Kenechi Udeze was actually a family friend of my dad's, we were invited to his draft party, so couldn't hate there, plus I always half root for my LB Poly guys at SC), but thinking about Leinert/Bush/Lendale would just send me into a flying rage back then.

I remember that 13-9 UCLA win over USC was probably the angriest I've been at a sports event, it was fun at the time and I'll always remember it but I never want to be like that again. It was a pretty early game (12:30 start I think), and we spent basically spent all morning getting liquored up and having friend trash talk with USC fans (I remember some SC guy being like "Look at these rocket scientists" and my group, being mostly math/engineering majors were like "Well actually..."), but some switch of rage just happened when we walked into the stadium. I remember some USC fans managed to buy seats directly in front of us while we basically spent the whole game yelling angry things (not at them, but about Carroll/the SC team), and it was like a catharsis when we finally won, even if UCLA would continue to suck for the next 5 years. When the game was over the SC guys just turned around and shook our hands and congratulated us, and I'm thankful they did, cause I don't wanna rage like that again cause it's just sports, ya know.

Anyway those USC teams were objectively great, and you can take the trophy away but that Reggie Bush Heisman season was one of the craziest things I've ever seen.
2483950, Man................so remember that interception???
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Oct-14-15 03:56 PM
>I remember that 13-9 UCLA win over USC was probably the
>angriest I've been at a sports event, it was fun at the time
>and I'll always remember it but I never want to be like that
>again. It was a pretty early game (12:30 start I think), and
>we spent basically spent all morning getting liquored up and
>having friend trash talk with USC fans (I remember some SC guy
>being like "Look at these rocket scientists" and my group,
>being mostly math/engineering majors were like "Well
>actually..."), but some switch of rage just happened when we
>walked into the stadium. I remember some USC fans managed to
>buy seats directly in front of us while we basically spent the
>whole game yelling angry things (not at them, but about
>Carroll/the SC team), and it was like a catharsis when we
>finally won, even if UCLA would continue to suck for the next
>5 years. When the game was over the SC guys just turned around
>and shook our hands and congratulated us, and I'm thankful
>they did, cause I don't wanna rage like that again cause it's
>just sports, ya know.

That was my boy Eric McNeal from Elemtary/Middle School who caught that!!!!!!!

I was surely going for USC, and he was the only player on UCLA I ever rooted for. When he caught that.........I was just like........fuu.....THAT'S MY M..............DAMMIT, HOW THE F......ERIC!!!! I was way too conflicted. He had it as his Facebook profile pic for a good five years, too LOL

2483971, Eric McNeal, that's the homie right there
Posted by MothershipConnection, Wed Oct-14-15 05:38 PM
I remember that play and where I was clear as day.

With individual athletes, I'll usually root 1) Family/close friends 2) Hometown/same high school 3) Same college, but sometimes with the hometown things can get complicated. Like, I still rooted for Hershel Dennis at USC cause he was the man back in high school, but I hated on Winston Justice cause that guy nearly murdered me back in middle school flag football.

I'm a lot more chill at sporting events these days too, I'll have a drink and crack jokes all game and be pretty much good natured, back in those days though you couldn't tell me NOTHING.
2483979, Mothaphukkin Hershell Dennis, damn!!!
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Oct-14-15 05:50 PM
And yeah, I see it the same. Even with players from my rival high school....I hated them when they played us, but would almost brag about them when we saw them on TV. Hell, Eric actually tackled or running back on an extra point that woulda tied the game and gave us a shot at the playoffs....he's always been clutch for the wrong team!
2483975, yes my level of hatred was the same
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Oct-14-15 05:46 PM
i was DYING for my '05 OSU squad to get a crack at those pretty boys in the rose bowl. that OSU D was sick and if Hawk and Carpenter were out there chasing after Leinart I would've been in the stands going berserk.
2483999, im not sure if i will ever get over losing to them in the shoe ...
Posted by guru0509, Wed Oct-14-15 06:16 PM
i wanted USC in this years playoff so bad..ill settle for LSU though.
2484030, SC and '05 texas were my most crushing losses in person
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Oct-14-15 07:37 PM
I think the texas loss stings more because that team was legit and would've been rewarded with a showdown against USC in their prime.
2483922, Lendale kept it 100 bout Carroll
Posted by bnicedh, Wed Oct-14-15 02:46 PM
He left the school cause he knew what was coming.
2483958, Hell f'k yea he did
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Oct-14-15 04:18 PM
2483935, this is THE team of college football for my gen.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Oct-14-15 03:18 PM
what a time. i cant wait to see it this weekend.
2484025, naw, my Canes woulda gave them that work.
Posted by Mr. ManC, Wed Oct-14-15 07:23 PM
2483946, There needs to be more "distance" to do this right
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Oct-14-15 03:51 PM
I know with the fall of Sark, now seems as good of a time as any, but there really needs to be more years since their "fall" to get some good perspective.

And, from what I understand, the doc tries to position their "fall" as the loss to Texas in the '06 Rose Bowl. But the Trojans did win three more Rose Bowls in a row after that. It pretty common knowledge that Carroll leaving was what caused the program to fall. And they're not going to get any insight into that now because, a) Carroll won't talk about it and b) Bush wasn't involved in the doc at all. Maybe five more years down the road they'd be willing to open up a bit, but not now.
2483954, sequel!
Posted by Mr. ManC, Wed Oct-14-15 04:06 PM
2483959, Not enough material like The U had
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Oct-14-15 04:19 PM
2483962, man...i cant believe it was so long ago.
Posted by guru0509, Wed Oct-14-15 04:29 PM
i coulda swore that era was just a few years ago
2484704, i wish they could've got Bush on here to talk about it.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat Oct-17-15 10:31 AM
solid doc. only thing i didn't like was dangling texas through the whole movie. that betrays the whole feel of that era where it was USC or bust for 3 years...until it wasnt. i mean ESPN even asked if USC was the best team ever before they won the fucking game. Texas was an afterthought.
2484713, that was just ESPN being stupid
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sat Oct-17-15 11:26 AM

>mean ESPN even asked if USC was the best team ever before they
>won the fucking game.

everyone knows Miami would've beaten the brakes off SC