Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjecty'all approve of Matt Winer becoming the next Ernie Johnson, right?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2468702
2468702, y'all approve of Matt Winer becoming the next Ernie Johnson, right?
Posted by dgardfrey, Tue Jul-28-15 08:12 PM
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2015/07/21/20150720-oc-decisions-that-keep-you-up-at-night.nba/index.html

I've always enjoyed him on NBATV and noticed that he's getting more of
Ernie's gigs now--e.g. hosting the NBA Roundtable shows

I just hope they don't have him on TNT with Shaq's goofy ass

2468710, yeah he aight
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Jul-28-15 09:06 PM
2468722, He's good, he has put in work. But I don't like him in EJ's role, no.
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Jul-28-15 10:22 PM
He knows his stuff and he knows how to defer to the analysts but I don't see his personality meshing right for Inside the NBA. No one can replace Ernie exactly but someone a little less stiff would be better.
2468753, Pretty Much
Posted by RexLongfellow, Wed Jul-29-15 07:10 AM
EJ's personality can't really be replaced

Winer's not bad, but a lot stiffer than EJ
2468790, I don't remember Ernie's personality before Inside,
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Jul-29-15 10:34 AM
but I would think that Ernie had to learn to loosen up over the years.

Also, like Charlie said, no one is going to match up precisely with Ernie's personality so the show would have to be rebuilt anyway.

Keeping the show the way it is now would make everyone's job more difficult because the hosts would always be compared to the old show.
2468792, Winer has loosened up and he's still stiff
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Jul-29-15 10:37 AM
He is OK on NBATV and could be used to do features and stuff, but in studio there has got to be someone better.
2468733, he's vanilla as fuck
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Wed Jul-29-15 12:37 AM
What ever happened to the guy who did espn nba 2nite? He was the effortlessly cooler version of stu scott. His career should've been way better than it turned out. I know I've heard his voice around but they got him doing scrap heap games.