Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectCalgary is very exciting but they have some holes, lack experience
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2425337&mesg_id=2425843
2425843, Calgary is very exciting but they have some holes, lack experience
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Tue Mar-03-15 02:56 PM
The two California teams are both really good when trailing but early in the year Calgary was the most dangerous comeback team and they still can rally in a rush.

The other thing is that for all the good young players they have now, they have a bunch more who are injured and/or playing at lower levels. I get the feeling that when Baertschi said he wanted a trade, they had no qualms about accommodating the request whereas a year or certainly two years ago he'd have been considered untouchable. They had been real high on Jankowski, too, now he is just another guy in a deep organization.

They have a lot going on with their back end, a lot of scoring from defensemen and most of that was Giordano. He is really a slept-on player, from 2010 til now he's gotten better every year and now is a very, very good DMan, a legit No. 1.

But they still have a bunch of kids and now more so with no Gio and no Glencross, who was still a good penalty killer that added speed for them. They don't really have like a top line, more like three lines with speed that can score. Gaudreau is a really special player, reminds me some of Danny Briere with his ability to play in tight despite being small and also to come up big in big spots. Clutch player with a very exciting career ahead.

I like some of their guys that aren't playing. They just called up Poirier, he is a real exciting player. Small-ish guy but tough, he can fly and make plays at high speeds. Bennett is not exactly a sleeper but I think he will deliver, he just came back from a serious injury but seems to be picking up where he left off in junior. I also think Ortio will be their goalie, Hiller is a bridge guy for him. He had a nice stretch when he was called up earlier this year, basically carried them on a tough road trip.